• Advertisement

Historic buses & coaches in SA

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)

Historic buses & coaches in SA

Postby alburybuses » Wed May 06, 2009 9:53 pm

Hi, I cannot locate a Society, Association in SA relating to bus companies and coaches operating there during the 50's and 60's.
Would appreciate any leads to locate same.
alburybuses

Re: Historic buses & coaches in SA

Postby The Inspector » Thu May 07, 2009 8:16 pm

Please explain,

do you mean preservation societies? if so then no there is no preservation society in SA for buses however there is an enthusiast group (TESSA, Transport Enmthusiast Society of SA) which has some very knowledgable members on Adelaides bus history.

Also you can ask on here for any info as some members here have a lot of knowledge of early Adelaide operators.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
The Inspector

Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Postby alburybuses » Mon May 18, 2009 2:07 pm

Thanks Inspector, Not a vehicle preservation group, but one that may have information on early bus and coach operators in SA. TESSA may be the answer.

I am interested in the operation of Streaky Bay Motor Services after purchasing Murray Valley Coaches in 1959, sold one of the remaining Foden PVSC6 "Viewmaster" camelback coaches - (possible NSW reg MO.004 or MO.919, re-reg SA 183.585) - to HM Coach Services (Chaplin), who operated a Adelaide to Williamstown service in the early '60s. The coach was later operated by KM Road Services, Kangaroo Island, before ending up with Black & White/Continental in Sandgate Qld. Murray Valley Coaches (SA) Pty Ltd was onsold to (John) Wadmore Coaches around the mid '60s. I am so grateful for the assistance from Qld Omnibus Society, Bus and Coach Society of Victoria and Peter Tulloch regarding the Foden coaches.
alburybuses

Postby The Inspector » Mon May 18, 2009 9:29 pm

alburybuses wrote:Thanks Inspector, Not a vehicle preservation group, but one that may have information on early bus and coach operators in SA. TESSA may be the answer.

There are a couple of TESSA members on this board that you may be able to get in contact with, I'm sure they will be happy to pass on your request for info.

alburybuses wrote:I am interested in the operation of Streaky Bay Motor Services after purchasing Murray Valley Coaches in 1959,

There is an interesting book on Murray Valley Coaches available, you can get it from the ARHS bookshop in Central station, Sydney.

I got a copy not long after it came out, enjoyed reading it.
Has AdMet CB80 fever
The Inspector

Favourite Vehicle: PMCSA Volvo B59

Postby alburybuses » Tue May 19, 2009 5:55 pm

Appreciate your info, good things come to those who wait, I suppose.
Yes I have the book, and plenty not written ; but am looking further into the history of the two Foden coaches left after MVC demise in 1959.
alburybuses

• Advertisement

Return to Photos - Adelaide/SA