• Advertisement

St Kilda Tram Museum

Forum rules
  • A topic icon must be used with the thread title of all threads.
  • No more than 10 photos per post with a maximum of 50 in any one page in a thread.
  • Maximum photo width 1000 pixels.
  • For full photo rules and how to attach photos see viewtopic.php?f=10&t=28459
  • Thank you :)

St Kilda Tram Museum

Postby Lt. Commander Data » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:21 pm

Had my first visit to the St Kilda Tram Museum yesterday. It was definitely worth the 2 hour round trip to get there, everything was presented very well and there was plenty of information about everything and anything. By some amazing luck, MrNicoster was volunteering yesterday, so we got the 'guided tour' from him and also a load more info which wasn't written down. Had a good ride on "C" Type ("Desert Eagle") #186 to St Kilda Beach and back, it was certainly a zippy tram for it's age. Another highlight of the day was getting some copies of the MTT and STA "Among Ourselves" magazines, while not on display a quick question whether they had any led to a trip 'out the back' to pick some of my choice. I will definitely be paying more visits there in the future.

Here are some shots I took of the trams.

Adelaide "H" Type Tram ("Baytram") #365 (left) and Melbourne "W7" Type tram #1013 are preserved at the St Kilda Tram Museum, South Australia.

Adelaide "C" Type Tram ("Desert Eagle") #186 is preserved and is at the St Kilda terminus of the short line.

Adelaide "C" Type Tram ("Desert Eagle") #186 is preserved and is at the St Kilda terminus of the short line.

Adelaide "E1" Type Tram #111 is preserved and is on display at the St Kilda Tram Museum, South Australia.

Adelaide "G" Type Tram #303 is preserved and is on display at the St Kilda Tram Museum, South Australia.

Adelaide "E" Type Tram #118 is restored and on display at the St Kilda Tram Museum, South Australia.

Adelaide "F1" Type Tram is preserved and is on display at the St Kilda Tram Museum, South Australia.

Adelaide "C" Type Tram ("Desert Eagle") #186 is preserved and is on display at the St Kilda Tram Museum, South Australia.

Adelaide "F1" Type Tram is preserved and is on the short route from the St Kilda Tram Museum to St Kilda Beach, South Australia.

Adelaide "F1" Type Tram is preserved and is on the short route from the St Kilda Tram Museum to St Kilda Beach, South Australia.
Proud owner of a Nikon D3300 and a Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Lens.
First person on 822, 865 (2016 re-route). Last person on 867, 868.
Data's: Flickr, Instagram & Recordings.
Lt. Commander Data

Favourite Vehicle: Volgren CR224Ls (esp. 3269)

Re: St Kilda Tram Museum

Postby Hawkeye » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:42 pm

That H Type tram sure does bring back some memories, if only they were still operating... Anyhow, nice pics Data. Cool to see something different ;)
Be sure to check out my photos that can be found here on my Flickr page.

I'm madly in love with CB80's, but am really damn keen to see how this first Optimus goes on the streets of Adelaide - can't wait!!
Hawkeye

Favourite Vehicle: CC CB80 / Volgren Optimus

Postby The Phonj » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Adelaide's 'C'-type cars (nos. 171-190) were nicknamed "Desert Gold" (after a racehorse of the time) or "Bouncing Billy". Lightweight bodies coupled with high HP motors enabled then to go quickly thus earning them the name. They were often used as "Nark cars"; performing additional services on regular routes, competing with competing private motorbus proprietors (prior to licencing)
Get the Firefox internet browser at: http://www.firefox.com
Watch out for ghostly bus drivers!
The Phonj
Administrator

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200, PMCSA body

Postby Eagle Eye » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:56 am

With rumours around that the remaining 2 H-type trams at Glengowrie Depot are set to be sold by the government, it will be interesting to see if one of the old girls makes her usual appearance at the Glenelg TDU street party next week. If not that's probably a good indication that they sadly have no future on the Glenelg main line.
Time to get bus priority and tram priority through the city and suburbs.
Time to police bus lanes which are used by arrogant car drivers.
Time to work for better timetables and better connections.
Eagle Eye

Favourite Vehicle: High-floor bus

Postby MrNicoster » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Very glad you enjoyed yourself. Great pictures and you know you're more than welcome any time.

I'm more than happy to provide extra information at any time :)

Look forward to seeing you and many more at the museum again!
Regards,
Mr Nicoster
If you want to contact me feel free to PM or email me at mrnicoster@nsdbpro.com
I'm immortalizing Adelaide's MAN SL200 for OMSI!
MrNicoster

Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200/SL202/NL202/11.190

• Advertisement

Return to Photos - Adelaide/SA