1963 worldmaster

New Zealand Transport Discussion

Moderator: Vitalstatistix

simon007

1963 worldmaster

Post by simon007 »

Hi guys, I have just brought a 1963 worldmaster, it is currently in Rotorua and I will be driving it too Central Otago, it has been converted to a house bus.
The lady that I brought it off said it will only do 60km/hr, Is this correct ?, some of my friends said it might have a two speed diff, did these buses have these ?. Any help would be great. Thanks Simon. :D
crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Re: 1963 worldmaster

Post by crazyturbo76 »

From my knowledge Worldmasters don't have two-speed diffs and were never fitted with such technology by Leyland. All Royal Tiger Worldmasters came out of the factory mainly with a 4 or 5 speed SCG semi-auto gearbox and yup, were only good for speeds round that range.
mrobsessed
Favourite Vehicle: AEC Reliance

Post by mrobsessed »

Look under the axle, see where the tailshaft flange is. If it goes in at the bottom, it is a worm drive. If in the middle, another diff has gone in it at some stage. Every operator specified things differently, including diff ratio. It isn't impossible to fix, but as a house bus you aren't travelling too far, or in your case, too fast.
simon007

Post by simon007 »

Thanks guys, I managed to get her home, the 1500km trip took 3.5 days, and the old girl never missed a beat, used on average 4km/ltr, which I thought was good.

I have another question,
The REGO for the bus is DK3247, by looking up that number it was in service in Dunedin as no:130 ( I think ) , before being sold to Newlands in 1981, does anyone have any pictures of what she looked like when she was in service, or any information. Thanks simon.

Return to “New Zealand Transport Discussion”