Public art in Alphington bus stop

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

philm
Favourite Vehicle: A-class tram

Public art in Alphington bus stop

Post by philm »

Article on a bus stop on the 546 in Alphington that has been nicely renovated by local residents and artists: https://www.theage.com.au/melbourne-new ... 4z135.html
You can wait ages for your bus shelter to get a magic makeover - and then three come along in quick succession.

Little more than a year after one lucky Alphington bus stop had its last “guerrilla renovation” –when it was transformed into a 1970s living room – it's been re-imagined once more, this time as a surf shack, complete with ocean views.

The bus shelter, which serves the 546 route along Heidelberg Road - near the corner with Fulham Road - now has a trompe l'oeil window which opens onto blue skies and azure seas.

The window is framed by green palms which seem to rustle in the tropical breeze, while an umbrella-bedecked pineapple cocktail sits invitingly on the ledge.

There's also a cushioned beach lounge, boogie board and sun hat.

It is the third time artist Jill, who only wants to go by her first name, has refurbished the bus stop, using secondhand and recycled materials and the help of a few mates.

“It’s just so desolate [on] that corner. It’s the opposite to a sunny day,” she said.

“I created a cool summer breeze.”

In January 2016, the stop was turned into a 1950s lounge room.

Each time, the refurbishments stay in place for about six months, until authorities take them down.

But, otherwise, the installations aren’t touched. A nearby bikie clubhouse, equipped with CCTV cameras, is suspected to be the reason.

This year was more of a technical feat, said Jill.

The painting took a higher level of skill, but she got it done in daylight, with no one questioning her. An air of confidence helped, she said.

“People wave and beep their horns and call out beautiful happy things. I’m doing my part of making a better world.”
krustyklo

Re: Public art in Alphington bus stop

Post by krustyklo »

Each time, the refurbishments stay in place for about six months, until authorities take them down.

But, otherwise, the installations aren’t touched. A nearby bikie clubhouse, equipped with CCTV cameras, is suspected to be the reason.
Given Adshel show up every week to all stops, I'm guessing a more likely reason is unofficial official acceptance of the role of unofficial art at the stop as long as it isn't a safety hazard. Otherwise it would be gone in a fortnight. I doubt the presence of a bikie clubhouse is relevant, except as a deterrent to vandalism.
Heihachi_73

Re: Public art in Alphington bus stop

Post by Heihachi_73 »

I wonder if Metro would allow that on the "bus stop" shelter on the island platform at East Camberwell, it would go well with the ramp which is already decorated...

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”