Rear door boarding of buses

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Rear door boarding of buses

Post by BroadGauge »

What's with so many people in many areas boarding buses via the back door these days?

Half the people doing this are clearly fare evading but this has gone from something that a select few ferals do to mainsteam behaviour.

In some areas, for example on services in the north-western suburbs run by smaller operators it's quite rare, and the driver is likely to (rightfully) bark at you if you try, but on runs like the Orbital SmartBuses there seems to be 10 people trying it at every main stop! Hardly seems safe especially when idiots run into a closing back door, instead of just walking 5 metres to the open front door :twisted:
krustyklo

Re: Rear door boarding of buses

Post by krustyklo »

What's with so many people in many areas boarding buses via the back door these days?
I see it happen at busy stops a lot. In fact, when using the 901 at Blackburn Station drivers seem to encourage it by opening both doors if there is a large enough crowd at the stop whether there is anyone to get off or not. At other times, eg, Shoppingtown, if there is a large enough crowd milling around where the front door is expected to stop, many people will walk the other way to the rear door and most drivers don't seem to slam it in people's faces. Frankly it is quite sensible - the bus loads more quickly, in half the time at busy stops if people are evenly distributed between doors.
Half the people doing this are clearly fare evading but this has gone from something that a select few ferals do to mainsteam behaviour.
Interesting generalisation. Here's mine: The proportions of people fare evading is much the same regardless of door. Based on watching people board as I usually sit at the front, and as a user of said orbitals often boarding at busy locations. In fact, I've often been one of those boarding and I DO validate as do most of those in front of me also boarding via the rear door. What do you base your observations on?

If Myki was reliably quick and front doorways had a larger milling area (eg, by removing the front offside seat and moving the wind breaker to somewhere on the front offside wheel arch) so people topping up their Myki don't hold up everyone behind them, there might not be a reason to open both doors. In the real world, it makes sense under certain circumstances and benefits everybody.

As for fare evaders, they board via the front door too and either just walk on or undertake some elaborate charade that fools nobody. Thankfully Transdev drivers seem to have refrained of late from wasting time being aggressive to no effect (other than making other passengers feel awkward) when people do fare evade.
Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

I have no complaints about it, no different to people getting off the bus at the front door, or on a tram.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

BroadGauge wrote:What's with so many people in many areas boarding buses via the back door these days?
If your Myki readers are set for tagging on at all doors what's the problem? You could just as well ask why so many people are boarding trams and trains at the "rear" doors. It speeds up the dwell of the vehicle and distributes passsengers through it more evenly and thus loads it better if people can board and disembark at all doors. Why single out buses to impose the crippling disadvantage of front door-only loading?

Fare evasion is a separate issue which, if it's so bad in Melbourne, should be addressed by having more RPO patrols.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”