Moderator: MAN 16.242

MAN 16.242
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N SL200

Re: Transdev Melbourne News 2017

Post by MAN 16.242 »

SandringhamBay wrote:Is the 922/923 being scrapped. How come
And if so will the 600 have a better frequency
No its not
I assume you talking about Greenfield proposal from late 2014 which was scrapped and is no longer happening.
dex
Favourite Vehicle: a bus

Post by dex »

Thebusofdoom wrote:Transdev was boasting on their Facebook page that they cleaned graffiti off 35 buses at their Sunshine depot on Sunday.

https://www.facebook.com/Transdev-Melbo ... 4669517466
|

Shame they let it go for so long, no preventative measures put in place, no cleaning and every manager thinking that putting on a high vis shirt and having an opportune photo moment will solve the issue.
Losers.
My daily cruiser is a two-door turbo merc.
CrowdedHouse

Post by CrowdedHouse »

Massive fail from Transdev today.

With the St Kilda Festival on, and a number of sites promoting people can take 246 that runs along Barkly Street...

At 11.30am, TransDev decided the traffic was too bad, and DIVERTED all buses away from Barkly Street and Glen Huntly Road.

There was no notice of this until PTV update their site at 6.55pm! I passed many people (at lunch time and in the evening) waiting for a 246 bus that was never going to come.

Absolute disgrace!
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Shame they let it go for so long, no preventative measures put in place, no cleaning and every manager thinking that putting on a high vis shirt and having an opportune photo moment will solve the issue.
To be fair, they did briefly start putting the film on the rear windows around the time Dysons started. It seems to have died a quick death though as I don't recall having seen one with the film for a while.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Evening krustyklo.Hope all is good in your world.
Having done a fair bit of bus riding in Melbourne's north in recent times,Transdev's fleet is easily the worst presented fleet in Melbourne,not only from amazingly high levels of graffiti from the rear door back to the general cleanliness and smell of the bus.I haven't seen the film in any Transdev bus.
Dysons cleanliness is great,with minimal levels of graffiti.That Dysons film does work in detering the graffiti,but it makes the rear of the bus,combined with the filled in rear of the bus,plus the dark window tinting used in making the bus really dark.To the extent that most drivers leave the interior saloon lights on all the time.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

CrowdedHouse wrote:With the St Kilda Festival on, and a number of sites promoting people can take 246 that runs along Barkly Street...

At 11.30am, TransDev decided the traffic was too bad, and DIVERTED all buses away from Barkly Street and Glen Huntly Road.

There was no notice of this until PTV update their site at 6.55pm! I passed many people (at lunch time and in the evening) waiting for a 246 bus that was never going to come.
Back in the old days of Ventura running the service, when the St Kilda Festival was on they used to run the 246 in separate halves for that reason, with the main service from Clifton Hill terminating at St Kilda Junction, and a frequent shuttle running from St Kilda Junction to Elsternwick (which oddly used to be run by Oakleigh depot).

Buses would be heavily loaded on both sections all day long cos of the festival. Surprised that Transdev didn't continue that arrangement? :?

Also back then, route 623 used to run extra services along the whole route until around 1am in the morning, back when it didn't used to even run on Sundays! I don't know if those ran this year.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Transdev had continued that arrangement up until last year, not sure who thought it'd be a good idea to mess with it. They also do similar things during marathons in the second half of the year, operating Route 246 in three segments! - see November 2016 Table Talk.

The extension of Route 623 services to 24:45 for the festival last occurred in 2014. In 2015 an extra 22:45 trip to Glen Waverley ran (there was no clear info about a 21:45 bus that year) but the last two years the service has finished at the normal time.

Meanwhile, Routes 600, 922 & 923 previously ran their Saturday timetable on St Kilda Festival Sunday (and Grand Prix Sunday) but this hasn't been the case since 2014.

There is a good summary of service levels each year in the relevant issue of Table Talk
2013 - http://cdnb.austta.org.au/tabletalk201303issue.pdf
2014 - http://cdnb.austta.org.au/tabletalk201403issue.pdf
2015 - http://cdnb.austta.org.au/tabletalk201503issue.pdf
2016 - http://cdnb.austta.org.au/tabletalk201603issue.pdf

For those with good memories, for a few years in the mid 2000s they even trailed NightRider services to Frankston and Dandenong after the festival, but I recall reports suggesting they were poorly used and hard to locate. A quick Google Search even found the ad from 2004 - http://www.cybermanual.com/how-to-get-t ... e-age.html

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
Craig

Post by Craig »

Route 907 (CIty - Mitcham via Doncaster Rd) will run all night for White Night, supplementing the 961 & 966 Night buses.
PTV wrote: Public transport for White Night Melbourne: Saturday 18 February to Sunday 19 February 2017
Added: 31 January 2017

Join in Melbourne’s most celebrated cultural event, White Night from 7pm Saturday 18 February to 7am Sunday 19 February 2017.

PTV is helping customers get to and from White Night by running trains, trams and Night Buses all night, and Night Coaches at 2am.

Customers are reminded that public transport will not be free during White Night Melbourne, you need to make sure you are travelling with a valid myki.

View the White Night precinct map

Download the White Night precinct map (PDF) 1.4MB - https://static.ptv.vic.gov.au/Images/Ev ... nt-map.pdf

Please note that all public transport information contained in the map is detailed below.

Getting to and from the CBD

<snip>

Metropolitan bus

Routes 200, 207, 216, 219, 220, 232, 234, 235, 236, 250 and 251

These routes will run to their normal Saturday timetable.

Customers who wish to access bus stops for Routes 200, 207, 216, 219, 220, 232, 234, 235, 236, 250 and 251 along the following streets:

Flinders Street
Queen Street
Lonsdale Street
Russell Street
Exhibition Street
Spring Street
Bourke Street
Rathdowne Street
St Kilda Road (Arts Centre) and
Queensbridge Street

Are advised to go to the Western public transport hub on Queen Street, between Bourke and Little Bourke streets.

Routes 302, 304, 305, 605, 905, 906, 907 and 908
Customers who wish to access bus stops for Routes 302, 304, 305, 605, 905, 906, 907 and 908 along the following streets:
Flinders Street
Queen Street
Lonsdale Street
Russell Street
Exhibition Street
Spring Street
Bourke Street
Rathdowne Street
St Kilda Road (Arts Centre) and
Queensbridge Street

Are advised to go to the Eastern public transport hub on Spring Street east side, facing south between Bourke and Collins Streets.

Route 402
From 5pm to last service, Route 402 will divert along Rathdowne Street, Elgin Street, Nicholson Street, Victoria Parade.

Route 684
The 6.10pm service from Southern Cross will divert via Dudley Street, Peel Street, Victoria Street, St Vincent's Hospital.

Plan your journey.

Night Bus

All Night Buses will operate every 30 minutes from 1.30am to 6.30am.

Due to road closures in the CBD for the event, stop locations have changed.

The following Night Bus routes will only depart from a Western public transport hub on Queen Street, between Bourke and Little Bourke Streets:
Route 941
Route 942
Route 944
Route 945
Route 951
Route 952

The following Night Bus routes will only depart from a Eastern public transport hub on Spring Street east side, facing south between Bourke and Collins Streets.
Route 955
Route 961
Route 966
Route 969

Route 907
Route 907 will run all night to supplement Night Bus services. It will continue running at a 30 minute frequency until 6.30am from the Eastern public transport hub on Spring Street.

<snip>
Kind Regards

Craig :-)
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Evening krustyklo.Hope all is good in your world.
And also with you :D
Having done a fair bit of bus riding in Melbourne's north in recent times,Transdev's fleet is easily the worst presented fleet in Melbourne,not only from amazingly high levels of graffiti from the rear door back to the general cleanliness and smell of the bus.I haven't seen the film in any Transdev bus.
No argument about the poor presentation as a daily weekday user of their services. Another aspect is that the grey National Bus seating in the earlier fleet is starting to look a bit shabby and worn (hardly surprising after almost 20 years for some of the fleet?) - whatever happened to the refurbishment which included the PTV pattern seat recovering?

The film certainly existed - there was a small amount of publicity at the time. It had a sun and seaside theme. If I see one again (assuming the vandals haven't ripped it all off :twisted: ), I'll try and get a photo. Reported here at the time:
For those interested in Transdev's new window graphics for the back of the bus, buses 571, 964, 970 and 971 have got them. Quite colourful on the inside of the bus when the sun shines in. Fully transparent and clear to look through in any weather conditions compared to external ads.
- http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... &start=140
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks for the reply krustyklo.
I haven't seen any evidence of any refurbed buses,but I haven't done any riding in the east.So getting mainly ex Grenda,National and East West buses,plus ex MBL.A couple of our Transdev experts may be able to advise.
venturatiger

Post by venturatiger »

Refurbishments are proceeding in 3 diifferent series of buses ex MBL they are into the 380's the 500's most of the 1st batch 500 > 528 have been done & about half a dozen of the 700's .

the latter ones done all have the 6 digit fleet number

Venturatiger
Comeng64

Post by Comeng64 »

Noticed the new #800 (O405NH/Volgren) ran alongside the 8:26 295 from The Pines SC to Doncaster SC this morning (not in service). Bunch of guys with hi-vis vests standing up near the front and presumably a trainee driver.
Alstom 888M

Post by Alstom 888M »

Given #800 has no Myki equipment I was hazard a guess it's a group of trainee drivers.
All my posts on this board represents my personal views and opinions only. They may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or values of those of my family, friends, colleagues, or employer.
Matty G
Favourite Vehicle: B10M

Post by Matty G »

Hello,

Transdev's Thomastown depot opens tomorrow (Monday 6th March).
For those interested (and to my surprise), it is located at 75 High Street, Thomastown.... to the left of the Kings Storage centre (heading north). The new depot isn't obvious to the eye, as signage for the depot is quite small- blink and you'll miss it! It's quite a way down the property.

Route 901 and 902 Smartbus shifts that were operating out of Airport West (Tullamarine Bus) have been transferred here. Thomastown depot will also operate a number of multi-route services too- primarily Route 250 and 251, as well as selected trips on the 207, 246, 305, 350 amongst others.

The depot held an open day today (Sunday) to induct staff relocating to Thomastown. Staff from other depots and families and friends were also able to attend. A 15 minute tour of the facility was given, with free reign to explore further thereafter. Food trucks were in attendance to feed the masses.
In general, the depot is very similar to that of Heatherton, and contains a workshop and bus wash.

Only a small number of buses were parked at the depot today- obviously more needed to be transferred across once they finished service tonight; these consisted of course, of Smartbuses that had the day off, and a number of CB-30s for the multi route services.

Interesting to note that the change over point for 902 Smartbus services is no longer at Keon Park Station... which is very near to the depot. Now, it's further up the road at the corner of Keon Parade and Dalton Roads. Go figure?
MAN 16.242

Post by MAN 16.242 »

Matty G wrote:Route 901 and 902 Smartbus shifts that were operating out of Airport West (Tullamarine Bus) have been transferred here. Thomastown depot will also operate a number of multi-route services too- primarily Route 250 and 251, as well as selected trips on the 207, 246, 305, 350 amongst others.
Thomastown depot will have shifts on following routes
200, 207, 246, 250, 251, 281, 295, 302, 305, 350, 901, 902

NOTE: Most 250/251/350 are still run from North Fitzroy as Thomastown only has small number of buses and drivers on multi route roster With about 12 buses and 30 drivers for multi route roster.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Seems to be some maintenance issues of late. On the 280 that leaves Shoppingtown around 5.35pm the last 3 nights I have been on a Crown hired vehicle (Wednesday), 71 (Thursday) and 5160 (tonight). The driver tonight was quite chatty apologising for the high floor due to "3 minis" being out of service and commenting on the challenges of driving the standard size buses on the 280.

Not sure if related, but seems to be a lot of Smartbus liveried vehicles on non-Smartbus services of late too.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks krustyklo.Seems from that discussion that Crown had three of theirs on the 280.
Maybe Transdev should just give the 280 to Crown!!
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

Thanks krustyklo.Seems from that discussion that Crown had three of theirs on the 280.
Maybe Transdev should just give the 280 to Crown!!
Not necessarily 3, the Transdev Coaster has been on that run regularly over the last couple of weeks and I gather that is a spare for when one of the others is out of service. As noted, a second bus has been a high floor standard bus for at least 2 days. I am guessing this is up to the driver's discretion based on part of the conversation I had, and how comfortable the driver feels taking a standard bus on some of the narrow streets served. That leaves a need for only one bus.

I wonder whether it may well be worth Transdev buying another Coaster as a backup - must be cheaper than a Solo surely! How many more Optare Solos are Transdev getting for the 280? Even then, you'd think that if they had exactly the right number of Plasmas for the service on takeover from Ventura, and they bought two more Solos as well as having the Coaster, there shouldn't be much of a need for hiring in buses from Crown unless something was very wrong with the Plasmas and their maintenance?

The Manningham Mover seems to be a very resource intensive service to operate from the need to have a unique small fleet and adequate spares!
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks krustyklo for your information.
I haven't been to Doncaster for a while.
What sort of patronage does it attract ?? If it is only using small buses then presumably it is only getting up to 20 pax per trip .I have heard that the loadings on it are quite low.
You are right in that it seems to require a lot of resources to operate in the overall scheme of things, a small operation.I suspect the Plasmas are melons-and probably have been since new.Of course with Transdev's maintainence the problems are magnified.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

The 280/282 require 6 buses to operate the Monday-Friday timetable.(3 on each route) Ventura transferred 6 Plasmas to Transdev.So Ventura must have used standard buses to cover for breakdowns/maintainence.
Transdev purchased the 2 Solos,plus the Coaster-so have effectively 3 spare buses for a paired service requiring 6 buses !! That says something about the Plasmas !!
venturatiger

Post by venturatiger »

Burrumbus

Transdev also received 3 or 4 LO812's in the takeover

at least 2 of the Plasmas will probably never run again

The Coaster came with the MBL fleet

Venturatiger
MAN 16.242

Post by MAN 16.242 »

krustyklo wrote:Not sure if related, but seems to be a lot of Smartbus liveried vehicles on non-Smartbus services of late too.
Its most likley due to way roster works with buses still doing DART & non DART on number of shifts. Added to this is shortages in general(without counting shortages caused by maintenance)where just take whatever bus left in the yard.
One reason there shortage of buses is since commenced operations in 2013 more buses now required to run service but there has been almost no growth in fleet size. With end result being most depots struggling to cover all trips in peak, then add any maintenance issuee and that makes shortages even worse.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

What sort of patronage does it attract ?? If it is only using small buses then presumably it is only getting up to 20 pax per trip .I have heard that the loadings on it are quite low.
I only tend to use it along Doncaster Rd, and see it in Templestowe when changing buses. Usually there are somewhere between 0 and 5 other passengers when I am on it or see it, mostly at the lower end of that figure. As an example, there was one other person on 5160 heading west along Doncaster Rd on Friday night, and they were clearly an enthusiast so may well not have been on that bus if it was a boring old Plasma or Solo. I suspect that it would average between 1 and 3 people at any given point along the trip. To be fair, I suspect that it does better than the previous arrangement of short routes that were joined to form the Manningham Mover - at least this way people along the route have a range of destinations served. I've known people use the Manningham Mover in lieu of more direct services to avoid a longer walk at one or the other end of their journey, so there seems to be some use for it. I gather the shorter routes carried almost nobody, hardly surprising given the poor frequencies and limited destinations served for any given area.
You are right in that it seems to require a lot of resources to operate in the overall scheme of things, a small operation.I suspect the Plasmas are melons-and probably have been since new.Of course with Transdev's maintainence the problems are magnified.
I've heard that said about the Plasmas as well. To be fair a small low floor bus would be quite a design challenge with also having to include space for suitable power plant, and air conditioning to suit Australian standards. I wonder how operators are finding the Solos, or if they will end up being about as successful as most other attempts. I recall when the original low floor CAT minibuses were introduced into Perth (were they the first low floor smaller bus type in Australia?) (I was lucky enough to get to ride on one during a day out to Perth on a mystery flight back when the airlines used to offer them), and from memory they were equally as unreliable and requiring replacement early on in their life.
Transdev also received 3 or 4 LO812's in the takeover
From memory, didn't Ventura also have another similar sized bus they occasionally used (was it also a LO812 but automatic?) but kept when they lost the NBC contract? I am guessing getting rid of them may have been a little premature - were the LO812s losing reliablitiy, or they were just seen as too old and no longer a standard fleet design given most of them had been sold off?
Its most likley due to way roster works with buses still doing DART & non DART on number of shifts.
I know, but it seems a lot more common at the moment, although being anecdata I could just be in the wrong spot at the wrong time.
scott

Post by scott »

The automatic LO812 you refer to krustyklo was 456,sporting a PMCA Middy body. it started life as Ventura 107, operating the Knox Shuttle runs (757,758) and did this for over a decade, in 2003 after the 757 and 758 got full size buses running on it, it got transferred to Croydon depot, then in about 2005/06 it transferred to Doncaster, was renumbered 456 and thus operated on Manningham mover from time to time. It was the best LO812 of the lot. When Transdev took over, it returned to Ventura, and was laid to rest soon after. When delivered to Ventura in late 1991, it had a manual gearbox, but had an Allison auto conversion early in it's life.When delivered it was an odd bod in Ventura's then mainly Leyland Leopard and Tiger fleet.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

When Transdev took over, it returned to Ventura, and was laid to rest soon after.
Seems a shame it wasn't handed over with the rest of the fleet if it's fate was to be laid to rest. Of course, I'm not suggesting that Ventura hand it over for the love of it, but if they only got minimal value for it anyway, I'm sure Transdev could have used it as a spare for a similar price. Although given they had a number of later LO812s of their own as spares which they got rid of, I guess they may well have considered themselves well covered for spare small buses anyway.

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”