PTV: Caroline Springs Network Changes

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

Craig

PTV: Caroline Springs Network Changes

Post by Craig »

PTV are currently undertaking consultation on proposed changes in Caroline Springs, to be delivered in two stages, with changes to 460 & 461 in early 2017 when the new station opens, and other changes later next year.
PTV wrote: Caroline Springs proposed bus network upgrade

The proposed bus network upgrade will expand public transport coverage and provide bus connections to the new Caroline Springs train station.

Existing bus routes will be extended to link residential communities with shopping centres, trains stations and community centres, while a new bus route would deliver direct and frequent connections to train services.

KEY FEATURES OF THE PROPOSED NETWORK:
  • extended coverage into residential areas such as Plumpton, Caroline Springs, Deer Park and Burnside Heights, plus coverage to the Ravenhall employment precinct
  • bus links to the new Caroline Springs train station
  • improved frequency on selected bus routes on weekdays and weekends
  • improved access to key destinations including Watergardens, Caroline Springs Town Centre and Sunshine
  • more regular bus services between Burnside and Sunshine stations, with timetabled connections to and from train services
  • a new link between Caroline Springs and Deer Park
For more information on the proposal please visit the Document Library and download the fact sheet and network maps or view the Frequently Asked Questions.

For information on the upcoming community consultation sessions, please refer to the Key Dates section for details on dates, times and venues.
PTV wrote: FAQs

Are you introducing new routes?
Yes. Route 216 (Caroline Springs – Brighton Beach) will be replaced by new Route 426 between Sunshine and Caroline Springs, with an extension to the Caroline Springs Town Centre.

How will buses coordinate with trains?
All routes will coordinate with train timetables to provide good connections for travel towards the city in the morning, and from the city in the afternoon and evening.

For proposed routes 426 and 456, we would like to hear about the station you prefer to travel from. A faster journey is possible at Albion Station, while Sunshine Station offers more customer facilities.

Are you removing any current routes?
Route 216 between Sunshine and Caroline Springs will be replaced by Route 426, which will be extended to the Caroline Springs Town Centre via Burnside Heights.

Several other routes will be extended to reach more people and link to more destinations.

How was the proposed new bus network designed?
In preparing the proposed network we:
reviewed how the network is currently used
researched who uses the bus network and their needs
reviewed growing areas that are not currently serviced by public transport
worked closely with local councils and bus operators.

We have carefully considered how an upgraded network will operate to ensure buses efficiently service as many residents as possible, while also providing connections to train services.

Why is Route 462 not being extended to the new Caroline Springs Station?
If route 462 was extended to the new station buses would need to spend long periods of time waiting at train stations for connecting trains, when they could otherwise be providing service to more areas. We have instead developed network options that ensure that buses spend most of their day serving as many people and destinations as possible.

Many residents in southern Caroline Springs will also be able to walk to bus stops on the extended Route 460, which will provide a fast, frequent and direct service to the new Caroline Springs Station.

Will I have to walk further to get to my closest bus stop?
Almost all existing bus stops will continue to be served by the upgraded bus network, although the routes serving each stop might change.

How many bus stops will be added and have you decided where all of the bus stops will go?
We will need to install bus stops along streets where new bus services will be introduced.

In determining the location of new bus stops we must consider:
whether there is adequate space for pedestrians and passengers to safely access the new bus stop
whether buses can easily access the new bus stop
whether the new bus stop location maintains adequate visibility for drivers and other road users
whether stops along the bus route are evenly spaced
whether there is adequate space for the new bus stop to include all the design features required by the Disability Discrimination Act 1992, and the VicRoads Bus Stop Guidelines 2006.

If there is a bus stop to be installed near your house, you will be notified directly.

What is the long term plan for the Caroline Springs bus network?
The Caroline Springs region is rapidly growing. We will continue to pursue opportunities to improve the bus network and meet passenger demand.

How has local knowledge been incorporated and who did you consult with?
We have worked closely with Melton City Council and Brimbank City Council, local bus operators, and now want to hear from you.

When will the changes be implemented?
Subject to feedback received, there will be a staged implementation with Routes 460 and 461 being extended in early 2017 to coincide with the opening of Caroline Springs Station. The remainder of the network will be implemented later in 2017.

Due to infrastructure works required for the Westwood Drive Bridge over Kororoit Creek, Route 426 won’t be fully implemented until 2018 – instead it will operate with a temporary diversion and travel express between Rockbank Middle Rd/Westwood Dr and Caroline Springs Town Centre prior to the new bridge opening.

What can my feedback influence?
Please provide your feedback by midnight, Friday, 11 November by:

dropping in to one of our community information sessions
filling out the online survey at ptv.vic.gov.au/getinvolved
calling 1800 800 007 and letting the customer service team know you’d like to provide feedback about the proposed Caroline Springs bus network.

We'll be assessing all feedback to determine what might need to change in our proposal, particularly the design of the network and how many services should run.
Various maps showcasing Option A & Option B can be downloaded at https://getinvolved.ptv.vic.gov.au/caro ... /documents

Key changes include:

215 (Caroline Springs Town Centre - Highpont): Unchanged, although weekend frequency might return to hourly (currently 75 - 80 mins for much of the day)

216 (Caroline Springs (Rockbank Middle Rd) - City - Brighton Beach) Split at Sunshine, western end to Caroline Springs forms part of new 426, see below.

418 (Caroline Springs Town Centre - St Albans): Upgrade to a 40 min weekend headway (occurring 31 October)

426 (Caroline Springs Town Centre - Sunshine): New route incorporating Transdev's 216 trips on the Ballarat Rd corridor, finally extended north to Caroline Springs Town Centre. Route will altered to serve Burnside Heights from 2018 once Westwood Dr bridge opens.

456 (Melton - Sunshine): Buses will now follow the Sunday route along Neale Dr and Rockbank Middle Rd (past Sri Dunga Manor Temple) 7 days a week. Option A sees buses operate direct along Rockbank Middle Rd, while option B sees the route travel along The Parkway and Bridgewater Tce (also see 462)

426 / 456 (Burnside - Sunshine combined corridor) Splitting the 216 at Sunshine will allow headways west of Sunshine to be harmonised with the 456, allowing buses to be better coordinated with trains at Albion and Sunshine. Buses will be offset to provide flat 10 min headways at peak periods with 20 min interpeak and weekend daytime headways, mirroring the corridors in Plenty Valley. One would assume half-hourly departures on Saturday evenings, and possibly hourly on Sunday nights after 9pm. Although 12am finishes are stated, it would be fantastic if the last bus was actually met the last train, especially given the current 216 span.
The weekday interpeak headway will actually fall from 4 trips an hour to 3 trips an hour (currently two largely half-hourly routes) in order to better meet trains. The shortened route also means much more reliable times for the 426 trips than the 216 which may have suffered from delays at numerous points along the way. It should be noted the 215 also travels this corridor, but it seems it will continue to bypass Albion Station.

460 (Watergardens - Caroline Springs Town Centre - Caroline Springs Station): This route will be further strengthened as a trunk north-south route by being extended south down Caroline Springs Bvd to the new station south of the Western Hwy. Peak service upgraded from 25 mins to 20 mins, interpeak service upgraded from 40 mins to 20 mins. Weekend service possibly a 20-40 min headway to meet the V/Line timetable?

461 (Watergardens - Caroline Springs Town Centre): Revised to operate along City Vista in the new parts of Plumpton. Peak service upgraded from 40 to 30 mins.

462 (Watergardens - Caroline Springs Town Centre - Deer Park Station) & 464 Caroline Springs Town Centre - Deer Park): There are two options for 462, the first sees the route extended to serve The Parkway and and Bridgewater Tce before counting to Deer Park Station via Caroline Springs Bvd, Ballarat Rd, Westwood Dr, Robinsons Rd and Foleys Rd, serving industrial areas in Ravenhall and a poorly served housing area in south-west Deer Park. Option B would truncate the route at the current terminus, with 456 taking in The Parkway and Bridgewater Tce. A separate 464 would cover the above mentioned unserved areas south of Ballarat Rd. Option A would see 462 operate every 45 mins along the entire route at peak times, while option B would see 462 run a 33 - 66 min peak headway and 464 run just hourly. Outside peak times, a useless hourly headways remains in either option.

Overall some great potential, but seems the funding bucket ran out once again leaving 462 (& 464) suffering from rather lousy frequencies - it should be at least running at the same headways that 425 enjoys, which is a similar local service running in the vicinity of higher quality connector options.

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
Last edited by Craig on Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
burrumbus

Re: PTV: Caroline Springs Network Changes

Post by burrumbus »

Yes an interesting set of proposals.The most positive thing is the splitting of 216 to create the 426 and then offsetting this with the 456 to create a high frequency corridor.I think 3 buses an hour off peak combined is adequate.6 buses an hour in peak is just superb.The Sunshine-Western Highway patronage is quite good.Hopefully this will stimulate demand there.
Hopefully the splitting of the route will improve reliabilty on the 216.Could I also suggest that the City-Southern suburbs sections of this and 220 need to be separated too.
Again the 460 frequency increases are excellent.
I agree with your account of the 462/464 services.
Will be interesting to see if the current operator/route set up remains there with Kastoria,Sita and Transdev all sharing the area.
MAN 16.242
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N SL200

Post by MAN 16.242 »

burrumbus wrote:6 buses an hour in peak is just superb.The Sunshine-Western Highway patronage is quite good.Hopefully this will stimulate demand there.
Hopefully the splitting of the route will improve reliabilty on the 216.Could I also suggest that the City-Southern suburbs sections of this and 220 need to be separated too.
In peak hour there is already currently 4-6 buses an hour along this corridor, but gaps vary meaning gaps from 8 minutes to almost 30 minutes. The new flat 10 min peak frequency should help spread loadings more evenly.
Reliabilty wise 426 should be much better than 216. As for remaining parts of 216 reliabilty will probably still be an issue due lack of bus priority and heavy loadings. Though these changes mean another timetable change for 216/219 and we be an opportunity to futher improve reliabilty as the timetable changes have done in last 2 years.
jamesadams7

Post by jamesadams7 »

Looks like a fairly good set of changes, if a little conservative. Many estates will still be unserved by the new network, and by the time it's implemented in late 2017, another couple of thousand houses would've sprung up which would also be off the network.

I think Option A is preferable to B. The 492 to Deer Park Station makes sense rather than splitting it into two, and it's better to keep the 456 in a straight line down Rockbank Middle Rd rather than a diversion through the back streets.

Also, on a small side note, Ginifer Station has been relocated adjacent to Furlong Rd in the proposed network maps, as per the current level crossing removal works. Similarly, Route 423 has also been rerouted to continue down Furlong Rd and turn directly into Willaton St, where one can assume a new bus stop will be located next to the new station. Currently, the 423 turns at Clare St about 250m back from the crossing, with the popular Ginifer Station stop located at the intersection of Clare and Willaton. PTV and the LXRA hadn't made it clear whether the bus would continue to stop at the old station location or it would be rerouted to better serve the new station. Good to see common sense has prevailed.

EDIT: Just read the CDC sticky where Craig posted about the 423 changes. Scratch what I said above! :P
Thebusofdoom
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200

Post by Thebusofdoom »

It's interesting to see how route 460 has changed over the years. Prior to the Brimbank bus network changes in 2014 it was just another mere infrequent suburban route that ran only hourly all day and on weekends. Seeing it upgraded to a trunk route with frequent weekday and weekend services is sort of like going from rags to riches. Even now the route is fairly well used in the morning peak.

The combined 10 minute peak hour corridor along Ballarat Road is a definite plus. Like with the recent South Morang bus network it's good to see PTV implementing frequent peak hour corridors.

Compared to recent network changes however the proposed network here appears to be rather conservative. The proposed 30 minute peak hour frequencies on route 461 is an upgrade but still less than what i would have liked.

Out of the two options presented I prefer option A as I don't see the point of having route 456 deviating through every little back street, neither do I see much point in the proposed route 464 which may not see much patronage considering it only runs hourly. Depending on the timetables I don't think that people would be willing to transfer much between route 462 & 464 for such short journeys between parts of Caroline Springs & Deer Park. In this instance I think it would be better to have route 462 run all the way to Deer Park to provide a one seat journey for passengers traveling to and from Deer Park station. I'm disappointing that it will only run every 45 minutes during peak hour, even today with only hourly frequencies the route is well patronized in the morning peak and it serves areas in Taylors Hill and Sydenham that isn't covered by any other route. This is a route in my opinion that deserve more frequent services.

Although it's out of the scope of the network reform I noticed that there's no direct road link between the main section of Caroline Springs and Albanvale. Any traffic that wants to travel between the two suburbs has to either deviate via Ballarat or Taylors Road. I noticed that a road reserve exists in Albanvale that if built and extended into Caroline Springs can easily link with Rockbank Middle Road. But in typical Melbourne forward planning the reserve is being developed as housing :roll: . If such road link existed I would have route 215 run along it and serve Brimbank Central SC, then follow Cairnlea Drive to serve the core of Cairnlea (currently served only by route 423) then follow the existing route to Highpoint via Ballarat Road. This would allow additional cross-suburb travel options as well as serve parts of an existing housing estate without bus services.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Thebusofdoom wrote:It's interesting to see how route 460 has changed over the years. Prior to the Brimbank bus network changes in 2014 it was just another mere infrequent suburban route that ran only hourly all day and on weekends. Seeing it upgraded to a trunk route with frequent weekday and weekend services is sort of like going from rags to riches. Even now the route is fairly well used in the morning peak.
Not to mention the indirect deviation through Hillside used to be on every trip, the usual case of trying to do as much as possible with as little resources as you can.
Thebusofdoom wrote:Compared to recent network changes however the proposed network here appears to be rather conservative. The proposed 30 minute peak hour frequencies on route 461 is an upgrade but still less than what i would have liked.
Why I would never advocate a 30 min headway as an ideal outcome, at least PTV are coming up with a clear two-tier network in many cases, with more frequent services focused on the direct connector corridors, thus encouraging passengers to walk a little further for a better service rather than using inefficient local routes. Recent examples include:

Brimbank - 20 min trunk routes (eg 418, 419 & 476) versus 40 min local routes (eg 421)
Wyndham - 20-22 min trunk routes (eg 160, 170, 180 & 190) versus local 30-40 min local routes (eg 161, 167 & 191)
Plenty Valley - 10-20 min trunk routes (eg 386/387) versus 30 mins local routes (eg 383)
Melton - 20 min trunk routes (eg 418, 460 & 476) versus 30 min local routes (eg 461 & 462)
Casey - 20 min trunk routes (eg 791, 893, 897) versus 30-40 min local routes (eg 789, 790, 792, 799, 891, 894)
Thebusofdoom wrote:Out of the two options presented I prefer option A as I don't see the point of having route 456 deviating through every little back street, neither do I see much point in the proposed route 464 which may not see much patronage considering it only runs hourly. Depending on the timetables I don't think that people would be willing to transfer much between route 462 & 464 for such short journeys between parts of Caroline Springs & Deer Park.

In this instance I think it would be better to have route 462 run all the way to Deer Park to provide a one seat journey for passengers traveling to and from Deer Park station. I'm disappointing that it will only run every 45 minutes during peak hour, even today with only hourly frequencies the route is well patronized in the morning peak and it serves areas in Taylors Hill and Sydenham that isn't covered by any other route. This is a route in my opinion that deserve more frequent services.
Indeed extending 462 south is the better of the two options, as it means those along the route south of the town centre won't need to hopelessly backtrack to a rail connection anymore (or swap to another bus first), but it seems the have put up two options as option B allows them to boost the peak frequency on the existing section of the route to 33 mins. I'd think though if anyone was to swap buses under plan B, they'd be changing off the 462 to connect to 460 to travel to Caroline Springs Station or 418 to Kelior Plains rather than anyone transferring for an hourly bus to Deer Park (unless they specifically wanted to go towards Geelong).

I'd agree 456 should just run directly along Rockbank Middle Rd and that there is not much point in a route for industrial areas of Ravenhall that fails to run at least half hourly in peak times - otherwise it's just a token gesture for those who can't drive there.

Kind Regards

Matty G
Favourite Vehicle: B10M

Post by Matty G »

Hello,

This posted on the PTV website today (Friday December 9, 2016):

Changes to bus Route 460 and 461

From 29 January 2017, bus Routes 460 and 461 will be extended to improve access to local destinations for the growing local communities.

Route 460 will be extended from Caroline Springs Town Centre to the new Caroline Spring Station, via Caroline Springs Boulevard and Christies Road. The extended service will commence the same day that the new Caroline Springs Station opens.

Route 461 will be extended into the growing area of Plumpton. Buses will run along Hume Drive, City Vista Court and Taylors Road, and will no longer travel along Gourlay Road. The service will continue to connect residents to Watergardens and the Caroline Springs Town Centre. Route 461 will depart from outside the Caroline Springs Library on Caroline Springs Boulevard, and will no longer serve the Caroline Springs Square Shopping Centre bus stop.

New timetables are not online yet.
---
MAN 16.242
Favourite Vehicle: M.A.N SL200

Post by MAN 16.242 »

Craig

Post by Craig »

A consultation summary is now available on the "Get Involved" section of the PTV website - https://static.ptv.vic.gov.au/Uploads/1 ... ummary.PDF

Of particular importance, 62.9% of respondents preferred option A for the south-west part of the suburb, which would see 462 extended onto Deer Park Staiton, verus 37.1% who would rather 456 divert into the area (providing an Albion connection instead) and a separate 464 service between Caroline Springs and Deer Park.

In terms of interchange for the new Ballarat Rd turn-up-and-go corridor, 37.6% of people preferred Albion compared to 28.8% who would rather interchange at Sunshine (with more facilities). A third of respondents however had no preference.

Kind Regards

werd

Post by werd »

PTV wrote:Boost for buses in Caroline Springs area

From 26 November, six bus routes will be upgraded and a new route added to the Caroline Springs bus network:

Route 215 will be more frequent on weekend afternoons and short trips between Caroline Springs and Burnside will be removed
Route 216 will operate between Sunshine Station and Brighton Beach and be replaced by the new route 426 between the Caroline Springs Town Centre and Sunshine
Route 456 will travel via Neale Road and Hopkins Road instead of Caroline Springs Boulevard. There will also be earlier morning services Monday to Saturday
Routes 426 and 456 will provide better coordination with trains on the Sunbury line
Route 420 will be more frequent on Sundays during the day
Route 461 will be re-routed via Holland Way to improve coverage west of Caroline Springs Boulevard
Route 462 will operate more frequently during peak periods
More information will be available from late October.

>back to top

New bus service for Deer Park

Residents in northern Deer Park will benefit from the new Route 422 which will provide an hourly connection between Sunshine Station and Brimbank shopping centre. The service will run via Station Road, Tilburn Road and Forest Street, 7am and 8:30pm on weekdays, 8am to 7:30pm on Saturdays and 9am to 6:30pm on Sundays.

Services will start on 29 October. More information will be available from late September.
Matty G
Favourite Vehicle: B10M

Post by Matty G »

Hello,

The new Route 422 bus timetable from Sunshine Station to Brimbank Shopping Centre has now been posted on the PTV website.
Timetable details can be found here: https://www.ptv.vic.gov.au/route/view/11664/
No route map has been published at the time of this post.

Sita will operate this route, which begins 29th October, 2017.

---

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”