Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz

Victorian Ferry Observations July - December 2016

Post by Mercedes »

go for it.
Proud 0305G x2 and 0405 x1 owner
Roderick Smith

Port Phillip Ferries

Post by Roderick Smith »

AFAIK the lowering of fares wasn't reported in the Jan.-June. sticky.
From Wed.15.6, the fares were cut to match public-transport: $3.90 single, $7.40 return, $39 ten trip (still paid independently). There were only five passengers that morning.
From Tues.19.7, there is an extra mid-morning trip on three days per week. The running times remain at 68 min, but are simplified to 70 min on the timetable.
Wyndham Harbour dep. 7.10 M-F, 10.00 TuWFSaSu, 16.00 M-Su.
Docklands arr. 8.20, 11.10, 11.10, 17.10.
Docklands dep. 8.30 TuWF, 10.00 MTh, 11.30 SaSu, 17.35 SaSu, 17.50 M-F.
Wyndham Harbour arr. 9.40, 11.10, 12.40, 18.45, 19.00.
For the duration of Melbourne's winter fireworks at Docklands, PPF is retiming the Friday 17.50 to suit, every Friday 22.7-26.8. I don't know what the regular commuters do on those nights.
Wyndham Harbour 16.30; Docklands 17.38. You can view the fireworks from the ferry, or walk around Docklands before the ferry departs. There are special offers available to passengers during the stop at Docklands, from Melbourne Star and Sebel Docklands.
Entertainment commences 18.30. Fireworks commence 19.30.
Docklands 19.45; Wyndham Harbour 20.53.
This hints that the 8 week trial has been extended.
There were various mistakes in the initial release. When I contacted the project manager (with whom I have chatted at two launch events), he replied with two interesting comments:
* Re kayaks and rowers, we have encountered many enroute and have found a great degree of cooperation; we are able to coexist happily. [The speed limit wasn't just about wake, but about visibility and safety].
* We will have some more changes in the forthcoming weeks. [I can only guess at these: possibly adding Portarlington by extending existing schedules, possibly adding a Point Cook stop, possibly the raising of the limit].

Roderick B Smith
(retired Rail News Victoria Editor)
Roderick Smith

Re: Fri.29.7 Portarlington trial

Post by Roderick Smith »

Your chance to support the Portarlington ferry, Friday 29 July, aboard Wyndham Explorer.
Having successfully completed a Portarlington sea trial on 17 June 2016, we are turning our focus to running a passenger trial from Portarlington to Docklands.
We believe that this Portarlington ferry passenger trial represents a significant step forward in realising the potential to operate a passenger ferry service out of the Bellarine Peninsula on a regular basis.
Please show your support and demonstrate that Portarlington wants a ferry, and that if one is provided it will be used!
10.30 – We depart Portarlington but please be there early to allow time for walking from your car as it will be very busy!
12.00 – We arrive at Docklands providing you with 1 hour to enjoy all that the Docklands can offer.
13.00 – We depart Docklands and travel back to Portarlington.
14.30 – We arrive at Portarlington.
The running of this passenger trial is weather dependent. Unsafe weather may lead to the cancellation or delay of the service.
Adults $25 , Children under 16 free . Tickets are available only prepurchased online, as there are limited seats!
There will be a $0.30 fee per ticket charged for your trybooking ticket.
Contact portphillipferries@little.com.au.
The ferry will be conducting its normal morning and evening services from Wyndham Harbour so from Portarlington it will journey to Wyndham Harbour to run the 16.30 Docklands Winter Fireworks service.

Roderick B Smith
(retired Rail News Victoria editor)
Craig

Re: Victorian Ferry Observations July - December 2016

Post by Craig »

They really need to a do a full week of peak-hour commuter services to judge actual demand - I'd have suggested extending the Wyndham Harbour commuter services, as that is the likely outcome as how the service would operate for now.

Kind Regards

Craig :-)
Roderick Smith

Post by Roderick Smith »

so too would I. Today's was so successful that a second is planned.

Roderick B Smith
(retired Rail News Victoria Editor)
Roderick Smith

Yarra speeds vs Sydney Harbour, Parramatta River & Brisbane

Post by Roderick Smith »

Port Phillip Ferries service hits trouble with trial between Melbourne and the western suburbs Sunday Herald Sun July 31, 2016 HIGH profile businessman Paul Little has so far spent about $1 million on his struggling ferry trial between the city and the western suburbs.
<www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/port ... 1dcd63c602>

What speeds apply in Sydney & Brisbane? and Bangkok.

Roderick B Smith
retired Rail News Victoria Editor
Roderick Smith

Re: 2nd & 3rd Portarlington.

Post by Roderick Smith »

Roderick.

We are running another two ferry services out of Portarlington on Thurs.4 & Fri.5.8, You can purchase tickets via www.portphillipferries.com.au/portarlington-trial.
We have also built a short survey to capture your thoughts on permanent ferry service for the Portarlington area. The survey covers a range of questions on what type of service you would use and also has some free field questions where you can simply share your thoughts. This link is available from the above web page.
Port Phillip Ferries Ferries portphillipferries@little.com.au
Roderick Smith

Re PPF Wyndham Explorer, Portarlington trial

Post by Roderick Smith »

In the testing time before commencing public trials, Port Phillip Ferries ran MV Wyndham Explorer to Portarlington. This had always been under consideration as a ferry terminus, as it is the closest Bellarine Peninsula port to Melbourne (the city high-rise buildings are visible from the jetty), and serves a whole set of peninsula towns with lots of commuting types (drive or bus & train via Geelong) and lots of lifestyle retirees. Because of the shape of Corio Bay, water is the most direct route to Melbourne. The long-discussed improvements to the harbour are in progress: substantial rock breakwaters, and provision for floating jetties in the expanded sheltered zone.
With commuter numbers from Wyndham Harbour disappointing, PPF ran a trial journey from Portarlington on Fri.29.7. The 400 seats were sold out on the first day. This was done as a tourist trip, 10.30 ex Portarlington and 13.30 ex Melbourne Docklands, fitting into gaps in the normal Friday service.
Enthused, two more trips were run to the same pattern: Thurs.4.8 (~330-350 passengers) and Fri.5.8 (~350-370 passengers).
The company acceded to my request for a hybrid day: 13.30 from Docklands on the return to Portarlington, then the positioning move to Wyndham Harbour, and the regular 16.30 to Docklands. I was provided with a special ticket.
Friday was an excellent mild and sunny day, with no wind. Wyndham Explorer docked at 12.10 (schd 88 min for the direct run). The mainly retiree-passengers were cheerful as they disembarked, for a lunchtime exploration of Docklands. I was told that dolphins, seals and penguins had been seen during the trip. As a trial for a ferry service, disembarkation took 20 min, which would be reduced with aggressive regular commuters, but really needs two exits for a permanent service. The ferry moved off to its bunker barge for refuelling. The crowd was queueing when the ferry redocked; the 13.30 return left at 13.40. Again, conditions were mild; many people spent the whole trip on the upstairs rear deck, and saw some dolphins. Portarlington arrival was at ~15.10 (the schedule is 88 min), at the outermost berth. I had insufficient time to reach the shore for a profile view. Departure was at 15.32; the crew cleaned the interior during the short transit run, which arrived at Wyndham Harbour at 16.00. PPF's Friday-fireworks promotion was proving its worth: there were 220 passengers boarding (cf 10 on Thursday). Departure was at 16.32. Not far out, we saw two humpback whales frolicking. The captain cut power, and turned to provide better views and photography. He also gave a good commentary on whales. This breed is the fifth largest. Normally, they would be in Queensland by now, and not in Port Phillip. This delayed arrival at Docklands until 17.50 (schd) 17.40, but had been a worthwhile diversion for all, even as a route ferry, and not a cruise. All disembarked and scattered to range of eateries. I found a good-value licensed Japanese restaurant. Docklands was busy: possibly so every Friday, possibly enticed by the fireworks. There was a general buzz of good humour and enjoyment. Ferry passengers could reboard from 19.15 to watch from onboard, or could watch from the bank (which I did). At the conclusion of the ~19.30-42 display, the ferry left at close to its advertised 19.45; I headed home.

Portarlington may well be a winner: the ferry is faster and more convenient than driving, and it serves numerous peninsular communities.
I checked the speeds: 5 kn (9 km/h) above West Gate. Although this boat draws only 1.3 m, it is restricted to 8 kn (14 km/h, the over 3 m speed) from West Gate to Williamstown breakwater. Other shallow boats are allowed 10 kn ( 18 km/h) there. During the week, I had researched other similar operations. Sydney: 4 kn and 8 kn in congested dock zones, 7 kn in Parramatta River, 15 kn in the middle harbour, possibly unrestricted to Manly. Brisbane: 10 kn for cross river; 25 kn for CityCats along the river.

One of the two main Queenscliff - Sorrento ferries came to Williamstown on Friday morning, apparently to go into the graving dock there for routine maintenance and inspection. Hence, the backup Peninsula Princess will be in use for the duration.

Attached: 160805F Wyndham Explorer. (Roderick Smith)
- My ticket.
- Arriving at Docklands from Portarlington.
- At Portarlington.
I had exhausted my sd card, and didn't get a whale photo. Despite my voyaging to Antarctica, and to St Helena, I think that this was my first time viewing whales surfacing. I have had dolphins playing games around my boat on the Gippsland lakes.

Roderick B Smith
(retired Rail News Victoria editor)
Attachments
160805F-PPF-Portarlington_ticket-RSmith-sss.jpg
160805F-PPF-Portarlington_ticket-RSmith-sss.jpg (231.5 KiB) Viewed 8240 times
160805F-P1070383-Y arraRiver-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith.jpg
160805F-P1070383-Y arraRiver-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith.jpg (292.05 KiB) Viewed 8240 times
160805F-P1070383a-YarraRiver-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith-sss.jpg
160805F-P1070383a-YarraRiver-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith-sss.jpg (229.76 KiB) Viewed 8240 times
160805F-P1070409-Portarlington-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith-ss.jpg
160805F-P1070409-Portarlington-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith-ss.jpg (224.73 KiB) Viewed 8240 times
160805F-P1070412-Portarlington-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith.jpg
160805F-P1070412-Portarlington-MV_WyndhamExplorer-RSmith.jpg (221.08 KiB) Viewed 8240 times
paulf

Re: Re PPF Wyndham Explorer, Portarlington trial

Post by paulf »

Roderick Smith wrote:
One of the two main Queenscliff - Sorrento ferries came to Williamstown on Friday morning, apparently to go into the graving dock there for routine maintenance and inspection. Hence, the backup Peninsula Princess will be in use for the duration.
The vessel is SORRENTO and its not there for dry docking or any maintenance or inspection.
PaxInfo

Post by PaxInfo »

Probably the biggest evolution in the life of this service.

Wyndham Harbour commuter service has been replaced by a Portarlington commuter service as of tomorrow (Thursday 11 August, 2016).

Wyndham Harbour will however continue to be served by some weekend and Friday evening trips.

See both pdfs on the timetable page at http://www.portphillipferries.com.au/schedule-pricing/

The schedule is quite complicated but there will be times where Portarlington, Wyndham Harbour and Melbourne passengers will be able to spend time at other places.

The fare scale is also worth looking at.

Geelong's Bay FM has a couple of news items

http://www.bay939.com.au/news/local-new ... ine-s-gain

http://www.bay939.com.au/news/local-new ... -days-away

'the service is expected to run daily until at least the end of August'
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
krustyklo

Post by krustyklo »

The fare scale is also worth looking at.
Yes, if I were on the Portarlington via Wyndham Harbour ferry, I'd be splitting my ticket...
Roderick Smith

Re: Wyndham & Portarlington trial ends

Post by Roderick Smith »

I'm doing the Wednesday midday return, with time for lunch at Portarlington Hotel.

Roderick

Port Phillip Ferries ends Docklands to Wyndham Harbour trial, no decision on permanent ferry service.
Herald Sun October 11, 2016.
TRIALS of Melbourne’s new ferry service will finish this week but Port Phillip Ferries has indicated a permanent service may be introduced later.
Owned by prominent businessman Paul Little, the company had poor patronage for the original daily commute route between Docklands and Wyndham Harbour and changed it to weekend services only.
However, it reported more success with week day and weekend services between Portarlington and Docklands.
In a statement released today, Port Phillip said the trial period will finish this Friday.
“Encouragingly patronage of the service has gained momentum over the later part of the trial period,” it said.
“The vessel will now be lifted out of the water for planned maintenance over the next month, to
ensure we maintain the highest service and safety standards.”
Port Phillip Ferries had a free ferry day on June 10,which runs from Werribee Sth to Docklands . Pictured the Ferry arriving at Docklands Picture: Mark Wilson.
Ferry operation manager Jamie Rusco said services were being “temporarily postponed” and the exact date of recommencement was yet to be determined.
“However, we have every intention of continuing the service and further announcements will be made during the maintenance period,” he said.
Mr Little, the former Essendon Football Club chairman, said in July that he had spent about $1 million on the project so far.
“By any measure you’d have to say that it’s struggling. But have we written it off at this point of time? No,” he said then.
Mr Little said a key issue was the low speed limit in the Yarra River but he had been hoping to resolve it in talks with authorities.
He also indicated then the possibility of potential services to much closer bay suburbs such as Frankston, Brighton and St Kilda.
“It would be more of a shorter haul and more equated to a bus route, I suppose, in terms of the ports of call,” he said.
<www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/port ... 5a65e708ae>
* The low speed in the Yarra was certainly an issue, and an unnecessary one: it is a canal with rock walls, and large cargo ships make more wake. Believe in speed limits here when waterskiing is banned on the Murray. Sydney Harbour and Brisbane River have much higher speeds, as do Hong Kong and Bangkok, each of which has more traffic and of a more-varied character.
* The fact that this ferry had any regular customers at all, shows just how neglected our public transport system is.
A ferry that is restricted to 5 knots in some places, and is more expensive than Myki, should not be able to even come close to competing with rail.
* It was always bound to fail, why would anyone other than residents of Wyndham Harbour and Werribee South bother to inconvenience themselves in using the service? Residents from Werribee and Point Cook would have to drive 6.5 kilometres each through pot holed roads only for their car to be covered in red soil courtesy of the market gardeners?
The service was 1st class but it's simply not practical given it's remoteness and the 5 knot speed restrictions approaching the Westgate bridge. Yet Paul Little should be applauded for giving it a go but sadly it's not to be at this point in time, but once the Wyndham Harbour Club Marina comes to bear in about 10 years time perhaps then Mr Little can re-visit this pipe dream.
Until then I suggest don't consider Wyndham Harbour as the place to be, unlike the marketing brochure it's not Noosa Heads, the only Head's you'll see down here is that of the field's of Brussel Sprouts.
* Fix the core problem and you will not need a ferry service.
* Not a chance. The roads lobby has both parties by the throats. You will continue to see the overwhelming majority of transport funding going to tollroads instead of rail, and we will cement our position as the city with the worst traffic.
* This was a pipe dream from the start. The road to Werribee South is a narrow rough road covered with mud and slime,every time you drive there the car is covered with crap.The drive from anywhere outside Werribee South to and from the ferry terminal takes too long.the ferry service was limited to a couple of runs per day plus the actual time it took even if they lifted the speed limit into docklands was never viable.
* I know it was only a trial, however maybe the following could be considered moving forward:
1. Better options for AM travel times during week.
2. Lower cost for commute.
3. Faster travel time.
Otherwise I hope the idea becomes another arm to Melbourne's travel options.
* It's a great idea for some, but not for the numbers needed to make it a commercial venture. However, regardless of whether it made money for Paul Little or not,he should be congratulated for trying to do something that adds to Melbourne 'life' and addresses a real problem - the difficulty of travelling from the south west into the CBD.
* Too many people are more than happy to have a whinge about stuff but very few attempt to offer a solution or make an attempt at a new way of doing things. I suppose when anyone does try anything they have to combat the "it won't work" chorus or the NIMBYs.
* How much Thymosin Beta 4 does the ferry need to make an elite service.
Craig

Post by Craig »

As I've said before, given the gridlock on the roads out of Point Cook/Seabrook every morning as people try to reach the freeway and stations, a half-hourly service that served a park+ride wharf at Point Cook (preferably with a suitable bus connection through the southern half of the suburb as well) was the market they needed to serve to make it work.

As you say, it would take 5 or 10 years until Wyndham Harbour is much more developed, and the roads out of Werribee South start to become similarly congested, until the service had a real chance of being viable otherwise.

Kind Regards

Roderick Smith

Re: Permanent Portarlington?

Post by Roderick Smith »

Melbourne Express: Monday, November 21, 2016.
A regular passenger ferry between Portarlington and Melbourne could become a reality for the next three years. News Ltd is reporting the State Government will today announce the continuation of the ferry service until 2019 following a trial run this year.
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/melbo ... sq9i5.html
PaxInfo

Re: Permanent Portarlington?

Post by PaxInfo »

Roderick Smith wrote:Melbourne Express: Monday, November 21, 2016.
A regular passenger ferry between Portarlington and Melbourne could become a reality for the next three years.
Premier's release: http://www.premier.vic.gov.au/all-aboar ... arlington/

The service resumes today. The ferry appears to berth at Docklands, making its first trip at 5:15am on weekdays to form the am peak inbound trip. Travel today is free.

Timetable and fares details: http://www.portphillipferries.com.au/schedule-pricing/
Are you being served? Service aspects of public transport in Melbourne http://melbourneontransit.blogspot.com & MelbOnTransit on Twitter.
Roderick Smith

Docklands - Portarlington

Post by Roderick Smith »

Wyndham Harbour has been dropped completely.
I couldn't get the wifi to work out on the bay, then was too busy to try in the Yarra.
As at the end of the trial, there was still no snackbar, or trolley refreshment service or even a self-serve tea/coffee machine.

Roderick

Announcing the commencement of our permanent service between Portarlington and Docklands.
This follows a successful trial period. And with recent maintenance works complete, Port Phillip Ferries ensures the vessel is in perfect condition ahead of the summer period.
Full timetable, pricing and booking is available on our Schedule and Pricing page.
Cruise to work in style on Melbourne’s newest passenger ferry service Our 35m catamaran vessel seats 400 passengers and runs direct between Portarlington and Docklands, letting you read the paper, catch up on emails while breathing in the fresh sea air and enjoying the sights and sounds of the bay.
We’re back and better than ever! Travel for free on our first day back, Tue 22 Nov.
All journeys are 90 min.
Docklands dep.: Mon.-Fri. 5.15 & 17.30, plus 10.00 Mon., Tues. & Thurs., 9.30 Wed. & Fri.; Sat., Sun. & public holidays: 7.15, 10.45 & 17.45.
Portarlington dep.: Mon.-Fri.: 7.00 & 19.15, plus 11.45 Mon., 15.30 Tues. & Thurs., 11.15 Wed. & Fri.; Sat., Sun. & public holidays: 9.00, 16.00 & 19.30.
The Hon. Lisa Neville MP and our CEO, Murray Rance, chatting to the media about the launch of Port Phillip Ferries permanent service, Mon 21 Nov.
https://t.co/luakEKYoX1
www.portphillipferries.com.au
Alstom 888M

Post by Alstom 888M »

Seems too expensive to be viable, how much is a Zone 1-5 fare? (Portarlington being in zone 5)
All my posts on this board represents my personal views and opinions only. They may not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, or values of those of my family, friends, colleagues, or employer.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Alstom 888M wrote:Seems too expensive to be viable, how much is a Zone 1-5 fare? (Portarlington being in zone 5)
A daily peak return is $28.40 - so Little has managed to undercut this by $1.40.

Given the daily gridlock on the West Gate Fwy, Google Maps suggests allowing up to 2h 20 mins to reach the City from Portarlington.

The ferry meanwhile does it in 90 mins, and if the speed limits can be lifted on the Yarra (still being talked about) you can get that down to about 80 mins. With the ferry almost twice as fast as driving, the catchment becomes much more than just Portarligton, as people across the Bellarine Peninsula will be happy to drive there.

Yes, driving to the train is an option, but there are no guarantees of a seat on the train.

The 60 bus provides enough of a backup for those days you can't make the 17:30 departure - you can leave as late as the 20:15 Geelong train and still get back.

Kind Regards

BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Craig wrote:
Alstom 888M wrote:Seems too expensive to be viable, how much is a Zone 1-5 fare? (Portarlington being in zone 5)
A daily peak return is $28.40 - so Little has managed to undercut this by $1.40.
That fare is irrelevant to regular commuters because nearly all daily of peak travelers are using periodical tickets. It costs $120 for a weekly (10 trip) ferry ticket, as opposed to a 28 day train/bus Myki pass that works out to cost $72.10 per week.

Ferries have a certain appeal though so at least some people won't be worried about nothing except money.

Anybody doing the trip by land based public transport would presumably be park-and-riding, not using the bus. It's an easy 30-35 minutes into Geelong by car as opposed to nearly an hour on the bus for places like St Leonards.
Craig

Post by Craig »

Yeah, good point.

if you get a 10-week myki pass for Zones 1+5 it works out to just $691.60 versus $1200 for the ferry, so luckily the speed and a guarantee of a seat are attractive (the novelty of getting a ferry would wear off after a month). I wonder if they could get it down to $100 a week for those wanting a long-term ticket (which should also cover weekend trips)?

Kind Regards

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”