Box Hill Bus Interchange...

Melbourne / Victoria Transport Discussion

Moderator: MAN 16.242

yueses

Box Hill Bus Interchange...

Post by yueses »

Hey Guys,

What is with Box Hill?? Take the National Ramp down to Station st where no pedestrians are allowed to walk down, with signs- i turned up there this morning to find 3 pedestrians, 2 asian students and a little african kid, about 11, walking down the middle of the 'up' ramp!!!!!

Then there's the people that walk across from the bus stops to the buses to ask a driver when the next xxx bus is due- usually they ask about a ventura route if your a national bus, and vice versa.

Then there's the cars. In the picture below a car came into the interchange, came round next to the 732, 767 stops and must have realised that she wasnt meant to be in there, so proceeded to do a U TURN!!???! Just after i took this pic she turned back to face the 'right' way and proceeded to do TWO laps of the interchange which was the last time i saw her. I just dont get it.

Dont people read signs? dont people understand what 'no entry' and ' no pedestrian access' etc means!? Its pretty basic, wouldnt have thought it would be hard to understand.

And the most suprising part about the motorist below, she wasnt of asian background- being in a corolla in Box Hill and all haha :wink: She was around 27, blonde caucasian female...

Nexas

Post by Nexas »

If that number plate was UEN isntead of UEM, then it would've explained her behaviour. She would've been one of those "UEN idiots!" :lol:
Views expressed by me are strictly my own, not of my friends, employer, or anyone else.
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

Do you want to know the truth??

Box Hill is a cultural melting pot of Asians, Africans, Unemployed drug using yobbos, and the occasional old age pensioner thrown in the mix aswell. With all of these groups, you seem to get a higher than usual proportion of f***wit.

That car in the photo, I would put money down was driven by an asian. You stated in your thread that it was 2 asians and an african kid walking down the ramp.

As for passengers asking stupid questions of bus drivers while they are on their break, thats not limited to any particular racial or demographic group. Apparently in Box Hill, most people dont know what "NOT IN SERVICE" means. Perhaps we have reached the days where buses on layover or mealbreaks at Box Hill need to have "F**K OFF, IM EATING LUNCH" on their destos.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but the number of ethnic drivers in Box Hill who cant follow simple No Entry signs or signs indicating a one way street is absolutly staggering. Who gives these people their licences. Its any wonder the road toll is so high every year.
CB80
Favourite Vehicle: Leyland Tiger

Post by CB80 »

Eratik wrote:That car in the photo, I would put money down was driven by an asian.
Read the first post, it clearly states it wasn't an asian. :roll:
Nexas

Post by Nexas »

Eratik wrote: That car in the photo, I would put money down was driven by an asian. You stated in your thread that it was 2 asians and an african kid walking down the ramp.
Might wanna read this bit again, Eratik... :wink:
Northcoast wrote:And the most suprising part about the motorist below, she wasnt of asian background- being in a corolla in Box Hill and all haha :wink: She was around 27, blonde caucasian female...
Views expressed by me are strictly my own, not of my friends, employer, or anyone else.
Member1100

Post by Member1100 »

CB60 wrote:
Eratik wrote:That car in the photo, I would put money down was driven by an asian.
Ok relax. Sorry, i missed that part.
Craig

Post by Craig »

CB60 wrote:
You could have made some quick cash if you were smart. :P

Kind Regards

Craig :)
wongm

Re: Box Hill Bus Interchange...

Post by wongm »

Northcoast wrote:Take the National Ramp down to Station st where no pedestrians are allowed to walk down, with signs- i turned up there this morning to find 3 pedestrians, 2 asian students and a little african kid, about 11, walking down the middle of the 'up' ramp!!!!! s
Wouldn't you rather take the quickest path rather than stuff around dodging clueless shoppers in the shopping centre itself?
Northcoast wrote:Then there's the people that walk across from the bus stops to the buses to ask a driver when the next xxx bus is due- usually they ask about a ventura route if your a national bus, and vice versa.
It's not like passengers know what company runs what routes though...
Railway Photo Gallery: http://railgallery.wongm.com/
mjja

Post by mjja »

I think I have occasion to yell "What route do you think you're running?" at cars more often at Box Hill than anywhere else. :roll: Where do they think they're going to get to but going up this ramp in between a couple of red and yellow Mercedes heavies?

As for pedestrians, they're probably taking a short cut to the bus stop and think they're too cool to be knocked down by a big heavy vehicle that can't stop in no distance at the best of time and just now happens to be coming down a 1 in 5 gradient. :roll: After all, they don't want to have to go in the main entrance and go up the escalator do they? That would be too inconvenient.
Happy Gunzelling and remember, "Go By Rail!"

Michael Angelico
Coach_Captain
Favourite Vehicle: MAN Mk1.... They rule.

Post by Coach_Captain »

That has been happening for many years.
When I worked at National Bus from 1998-2001, the amount of cars that drove through the bus interchange was of a greater proportion than buses, especially when bingo finished at night.

You would come up to the interchange, cars would be parked in the bus bays, in the lay-over bays and just driving waiting for thier friends/relos etc. When you would beep at them to move, they would just look at you and wonder what the hell a bus was doing there....

Another great no hoper Bus Interchange Car Driver was the dopey looking cleaner who would often park his car...up on the footpath right at Bay 2/3. People getting on/off the bus, would have to walk around his car. This was bought up to management, but to no success. The cleaner would then walk around, with his ciggie hanging from his mouth, sweeping, then get the fire hose and hose down the whole bus interchange.

As for passengers annoying driver's on meal break....I used a spare sub-desto board, and wrote on it..."I AM ON MEAL BREAK....GO AWAY"

People would approach, I would yell..."Can't you read the sign in the window?" and they would just walk away.
I am like a Royal Family Member..
Better than taking the horse and cart
I drive the Silver SmartBus... and it's a Mercedes!!
MMTB Busnut
Favourite Vehicle: MMTB MAN Mk1, 259

Box Hill Interchange

Post by MMTB Busnut »

Some have been picking on Asians as being the main culprits driving their cars on the bus deck. My experiences up on the deck are quite different where 90% of those I have seen driving on the deck and others going the wrong way were as Northcoast reported, European (or white). I have had two occasions of a vehicle coming at me head on going the wrong way and then waiting for them to do a three (or more) point turn and go the right way to continue. The same issues of vehicles using the bus zones are also at Ringwood RS, Glen Waverley RS, Knox City SC, etc. ALL bus zones and bus only terminus's should have the standard RED coloured surface to obviously show it is a bus only area, and EDUCATE the driving public of this. This may help reduce this problem.
If it works, why change it!
John

Post by John »

Eratik wrote:Box Hill is a cultural melting pot of Asians, Africans, Unemployed drug using yobbos, and the occasional old age pensioner thrown in the mix aswell. With all of these groups, you seem to get a higher than usual proportion of f***wit.
Don't get me started on that place. Have been working there for the past week helping with training for work and cannot wait to head back to my home store.
venturatiger

Post by venturatiger »

Hi there ,
don't see what all the fuss is about, you are always going to get the odd car going where they shouldn't, thats life.

Was a bigger problem when bingo finished, but the bingo hall shut a while ago.

I see speeding buses as a bigger problem

Regards Venturatiger
Nexas

Post by Nexas »

I think the worst problem would be kids skating around on the bus lanes infront of buses, doesn't happen too often but it does happen every now and then and would probably be the most dangerous result.
yueses

Post by yueses »

I personally took this picture literally a day or 2 after my initial post... this picture was taken from a bus at the 765 stop...

CB80

Post by CB80 »

Box Hill Bus Interchange is just a terrible design. If it was easier to get out of the thing no one would walk down the ramp.
yueses

Post by yueses »

Had a meal break at Box Hill today- took these pics all within around 45mins...

Am i somewhat obsessed with people doing the wrong thing at Box Hill? I think so hahaha lol...! Well it is all about safety...!

All pics were taken with my phone- the one with the taxi looks weird i know but thats just how it turned out..

Paul_Nicholson
Favourite Vehicle: Adelaide Worldmasters

Post by Paul_Nicholson »

Maybe heavily armed security guards similar to those we sometimes see at similar interchanges in the USA should be engaged at Box Hill to preserve good order?

Metlink sometimes gives inappropriate walking time from the railway platforms to the bus interchange.

I suspect a little old lady with a walking stick would take several minutes to transfer from bus to train?

Paul in Melbourne
CB80

Post by CB80 »

It would be good if there was some form of boomgate system on the bus entrance/exits, but I'm not sure how they could make it so it only works for buses and not cars without modifying the entire fleet of buses that use it...

Oh well... :x
yueses

Post by yueses »

CB60 wrote:It would be good if there was some form of boomgate system on the bus entrance/exits, but I'm not sure how they could make it so it only works for buses and not cars without modifying the entire fleet of buses that use it...

I like your thinkin!!

All they need to do is install boom gates and attach remotes like a garage remote to each bus so that as it approaches it can be pressed and up goes the gate! :wink:

Sure it wouldnt be cheap but would stop cars speeding around the concourse etc. Its a bus-only area- cars need to be kept out to avoid any accidents or collisions.
Trolley Bus Racer
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B58M Trolley Bus

Post by Trolley Bus Racer »

Northcoast wrote:
CB60 wrote:It would be good if there was some form of boomgate system on the bus entrance/exits, but I'm not sure how they could make it so it only works for buses and not cars without modifying the entire fleet of buses that use it...

I like your thinkin!!

All they need to do is install boom gates and attach remotes like a garage remote to each bus so that as it approaches it can be pressed and up goes the gate! :wink:

Sure it wouldnt be cheap but would stop cars speeding around the concourse etc. Its a bus-only area- cars need to be kept out to avoid any accidents or collisions.
put a sensor in the road and ONLY vehicles over lets say 5 tonne can trigger the boom
Stagecoach Wellington Crew
Tranz Metro Crew

Now In The Eastern Islands Of Australia!

Return to “Discussion - Melbourne / VIC”