Visiting Hobart - Where Should I Explore

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
Bus 400

Visiting Hobart - Where Should I Explore

Post by Bus 400 »

In the first week of 2018, I'll be spending a week in Hobart. Taking the ferry over & heading to Hobart via Redline Coaches & heading back via Tassielink.

But I am curious as to if there are any trips that I should take or areas to explore by bus.

Also, not wanting to upset any applecarts, are there any areas to avoid (besides the common sense areas)?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: Visiting Hobart - Where Should I Explore

Post by boronia »

I went to Hobart for a few days last year.

Got a map of the Metro services, and rode out to the end of the longest runs. Plenty of scenery, and photo opportunities.

Went by Redline up to Launceston to catch the plane home.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Bus 400 wrote:In the first week of 2018, I'll be spending a week in Hobart. Taking the ferry over & heading to Hobart via Redline Coaches & heading back via Tassielink.

But I am curious as to if there are any trips that I should take or areas to explore by bus.

Also, not wanting to upset any applecarts, are there any areas to avoid (besides the common sense areas)?

Hi Bus 400. There are plenty of scenic locations around Hobart, accessible by Metro buses. Head into the Metro Shop (centre of Hobart Bus Mall) and they can direct you to different services. For an overview of the City, catch the Red Decker Open-topper which shows all Hobart's historic locations and gives you a good starting point. Areas to avoid would be outlying suburbs of Clarendon Vale and Bridgewater, which are basically only housing areas anyway. The Glenorchy Bus Mall, Hobart Bus Mall and Eastlands Shopping Centre are all good locations for photographing buses (including private operators).
Bus 400

Post by Bus 400 »

Been exploring the last couple of days.

The most scenic trip I had was to Opossum Bay, I actually enjoyed the scenery. Lucky I had the only seat not affected by an AOA.

I'm assuming you Hobart peeps are aware of the MTT Buses directional signs at Susan Parade & Ruth Dr in Lenah Valley?

I post my pictures at the below links, same photos are on both pages.

Twitter - https://twitter.com/Bus400?s=09
Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/Bus400/

yoda

Post by yoda »

Bus 400 wrote:I'm assuming you Hobart peeps are aware of the MTT Buses directional signs at Susan Parade & Ruth Dr in Lenah Valley?
Yep, many many others around.

Excellent snaps too 8)
Bus 400

Post by Bus 400 »

Thanks, in case the trick hasn't been worked out. As long as you keep tapping under 90 minutes, I was only charged $5.68 before 9am. On the times I didn't tap on within 90 minutes, I ended up being charged the $9.20 daily max fare on my Greencard.

Plus while waiting for the Tassielink coach to the Spirit of Tasmania, I may of spotted one of you guys in a Metro uniform & a DLSR camera (I suspect most drivers would carry one of these around) snapping a photo of the Red Decker buses. I was going to get up, but that meant getting up & picking up my bag that weighed half a tonne.

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”