New 284 page Tasmania Transport book

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
LocoLes
Favourite Vehicle: CAC Bedford 1957-60

New 284 page Tasmania Transport book

Post by LocoLes »

To all of us who just can't wait to get our hands on anything about transport [ including bus, tram, train, truck photographs], a new publication is on sale in Tassie newsagents and bookshops .

The soft cover book is full of old photos including MTT buses, trolleybuses, [and trams] Green Coach Lines, Gray's B.S. etc etc and the new edition is titled...

Tasmania's Bygone Years of Road Transport 1950-1965 by L J Morley.
This is his 6th book and earlier editions are still in the shops as well.

[Please note I have no relation or connection with the editor, I simply saw it in the bookshop!].
loco Les
Loco Les
system improver
Favourite Vehicle: 1949 MBA Seddon

Re: New 284 page Tasmania Transport book

Post by system improver »

How much is it Les?
LocoLes

Post by LocoLes »

system improver wrote:How much is it Les?
Hi, Sorry, missed the all important price. it's $29.95.

The book is A4 size and photos are B & W. Some pics take up all of a page but mostly 2 photos per page with a few pages of L J Morley's memories of the era. Particularly interesting to us 'oldies' who remember the 1950-60's transport including cars as well.
Cheers, Les
Loco Les
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Thanks for that. I've seen the previous editions, but have never got around to buying one (I'm a tight-a#se) :mrgreen: Will check this one out also. Thanks LocoLes
LocoLes

Post by LocoLes »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:Thanks for that. I've seen the previous editions, but have never got around to buying one (I'm a tight-a#se) :mrgreen: Will check this one out also. Thanks LocoLes
Hi Neil,
You may need to buy this edition 'cause your favourite depot [Moonah] is pictured on page 202 with 7 Ansair bodied SB Bedfords parked out front! :mrgreen:

Cheers, Les H
Loco Les
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

LocoLes wrote:Hi Neil,
You may need to buy this edition 'cause your favourite depot [Moonah] is pictured on page 202 with 7 Ansair bodied SB Bedfords parked out front! :mrgreen:

Cheers, Les H
Ohhhhhhhhh, you've tweeked my interest now Les :lol: :lol: :lol:
Timbo52
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair Flxible Clippers

Post by Timbo52 »

G'day Neil,
The book is also available to borrow from "Linc" (the State Library) for those that can't afford/justify to purchase it for one read. I've put one on hold & am waiting in anticipation for it to arrive at local library soon.
Tim.
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Timbo52 wrote:G'day Neil,
The book is also available to borrow from "Linc" (the State Library) for those that can't afford/justify to purchase it for one read. I've put one on hold & am waiting in anticipation for it to arrive at local library soon.
Tim.
Thanks Tim. If I remember correctly, the one at Glenorchy was a reference book only and couldn't be borrowed.
Timbo52

Post by Timbo52 »

All of the books written by LJ Morley are now available at Linc & believe me they are well worthwhile either borrowing or buying at your local bookshop/newsagent as they contain an incredible amount of information & some really interesting pictures. He has a large wealth of knowledge of transport in Tasmania so I can only recommend that anyone interested should try & get a copy to peruse.
[ Please note I also do not have any connection to the author, as LocoLes stated, I just found it very topical.]
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Post by leyland clippers »

The latest book has a photo of a Cadbury milk tanker on the cover. A single axle Foden with tanker trailer. Tankers supplying Cadbury with milk from the North-West Coast are certainly much bigger today. Bottom photo could be Main road in Moonah not sure.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
Timbo52

Post by Timbo52 »

As I stated previously interesting books full of old information. I have just finished reading the last book 1950 - 1965 has some great pictures just a pity that the writer didn't research some of his details a little better. Don't take all he states as gospel because there are some blatant misinformation's in the book. Also I was a bit disgusted by his disclaimer in the front, a copyright statement re content then goes ahead & uses other peoples photos without so much as a common courtesy acknowledgement of their work even though he states that an effort to contact them was made. When the owner of the picture is known it wouldn't hurt to acknowledge that, with the picture as we do in the forum.
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Post by leyland clippers »

Some of the photo's in the book have reflective number plates on them. Reflective number plates were introduced into Tasmania in April 1970 so I doubt there were any in 1965. The picture of the Tasmanian Coach Lines clipper was taken in October 1971 on the Lyell Highway between Gordon River Road and Rosegarland. Certainly wasn't on Bass Highway in 1965. Coach would have been in Pioneer livery then.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

leyland clippers wrote:Some of the photo's in the book have reflective number plates on them. Reflective number plates were introduced into Tasmania in April 1970 so I doubt there were any in 1965. The picture of the Tasmanian Coach Lines clipper was taken in October 1971 on the Lyell Highway between Gordon River Road and Rosegarland. Certainly wasn't on Bass Highway in 1965. Coach would have been in Pioneer livery then.
What's the old saying : Never let the truth get in the way of a good story :lol: :lol: :lol:
Timbo52

Post by Timbo52 »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:What's the old saying : Never let the truth get in the way of a good story :lol: :lol: :lol:
Definitely correct Neil.
Also Tas Coach Lines didnt exist until December 1968, Green Coach Lines prior to that. Oops driver caught with wrong destination on Sign should be Hobart. :( :( :lol:
Happy New Year to All
Tim

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”