Tasman Bridge Collapse January 1975

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Tasman Bridge Collapse January 1975

Post by leyland clippers »

With the 40th anniversary of the collapse of the Tasman Bridge, alternate transport routes come to mind. MTT had to base buses on Eastern Shore to provide feeder services to ferries and regional services had to make alterations as well. Tasmanian Coach Lines Hobart to Swansea service had to take an alternative and longer route. Bus travelled from Swansea to Sorell as per normal and then from Midway Point went up Penna Road to Brinktop Hill Road to Richmond. From Richmond then up Coal River Road to Campania and then back to Tea Tree Road to Brighton, and then Bridgewater to Hobart. This alternate arrangement also led to the suspension of the Sunday service between Hobart and Swansea. The Swansea to Hobart service was well patronised by school students heading back to Hobart after a weekend at home. This alternate rout continued until the Tasman Bridge re-opened in 1977.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Re: Tasman Bridge Collapse January 1975

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Remember the night WELL, however unfamiliar with the transport relocation / movements immediately after.
I know it led to the demise of TCL on Opossum Bay / Lauderdale amongst others :(
tasstockau

Re: Tasman Bridge Collapse January 1975

Post by tasstockau »

Hi

MTT initially used Clarence Oval (now Blundstone Arena) as their depot until the footy season started. They then moved to the clarence pool where buses were parked in the carpark and all around surrounding areas that were less developed at that point.

Mornington depot/workshop opened up during 1975 which provided the longer term solution.

I think Mornington, Moonah and City all operated at the same time for a short period but stand to be corrected on this.

MTT operated a bus service via old beach on unsealed road to Brighton to connect with an hourly train service to Hobart for 2 days after the bridge collapse but it wanst being used (not sure it was even advertised!!). Would have been a ride and half from the Bellerive area in a Bedford (I recall seeing one of the 270/80 series Befords at brighton station) on the unsealed roads of the time.

Later in the year, they instituted an airport service using bedford 290 (originally 525 from Burnie) from the Bellerive ferry terminal. I can recall the airlines buses running via Tea Tree and Richmond around this time but not sure of how long they did it for.

Phil

Any information on the fleet split on January 1975 would be of interest.

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”