Tasmanian Bus Observations March 2014

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Tasmanian Bus Observations March 2014

Post by leyland clippers »

Summer is almost over, Autumn is about to begin so here is the March observation thread.
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
Bedford-29

Re: Tasmanian Bus Observations March 2014

Post by Bedford-29 »

Yeah if these months keep going quick the Easter bunny will be here followed by Santa and start the April observation post where have the first two months of 2014 gone.I am starting age with the months going quick. :mrgreen:
Previoulsy known as United Diesel 15
royaltiger
Favourite Vehicle: Royal Tiger Worldmaster !

Post by royaltiger »

Noted the Grays Line "tram bus" back on the streets a lot recently. Has it been off the road or have I just not seen it for a long time?
Love this island!
Tas Bus Nut
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz O303

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

royaltiger wrote:Noted the Grays Line "tram bus" back on the streets a lot recently. Has it been off the road or have I just not seen it for a long time?
Been off the road getting a new motor. Still very smokey though.
danielb

Post by danielb »

Bloody oath it is.
stevegj52
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo Bus & Coaches

Post by stevegj52 »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:
royaltiger wrote:Noted the Grays Line "tram bus" back on the streets a lot recently. Has it been off the road or have I just not seen it for a long time?
Been off the road getting a new motor. Still very smokey though.
Smokey, must be owned by the greenies ,everything they drive is Smokey, seems to be.
Volvo B8R,green efficiency built in
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

Well, it's happened, for those not keeping up-to-date, the LAST VOVI N113 has been retired (last Friday 28th Feb). #138 performed her last active service on the 17:40 Rte.9 to Lenah Valley before being retired/deregistered. Unfortunately, like the rest of THIS batch of retirees, she too will be going to the bus graveyard in the sky, as she'll be stripped of parts to keep the other 100+ N113CRBs on the road (for eternity) :lol: Other buses in THIS batch of retires include: 112 (prototype VOVII), 145 (stuffed motor) 146 (stuffed differential) 16 (ex 641) (accident damage-written off). There is a LOT of rumour and innuendo that 200 may :?: :?: be another VERY VERY shortly, but also 113 is the last candidate (from Launceston) :(

In OTHER Metro news, 226 has been relocated to Launceston (possibly to replace 113 when it goes)

Progress on Maxwell's AEC will begin this weekend, with documenting all signwriting, establishing priority jobs and then a BIG clean-up to remove layers and layers of dirt/grime/mildew :o

134 is receiving some TLC with some required maintenance before it's 6 mthly inspection, and she'll receive a general clean-up over the next few weeks also.

Bit quiet on the Tassie front early this month, Cruise Ships have started to dry-up, NEW purchases have slowed within the operators, BUT of course there is ONLY 3 wks until the annual Tasmanian Bus & Coach Society enthusiast's tour. Everything is organised for another action packed weekend, touring our beautiful state and partaking in some of the pleasures Tasmania has to offer on the "bus scene" (keep your minds above the belt :mrgreen: ) TBN
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

REMINDER for TBCS MEMBERS: Monday 10th 10:30am > clean-up of #134, HQ and #52. Need WORKERS, NOT lookers to get these vehicles & our premises up to scratch. TBCS Executives will be on hand to advise what work needs to be done. Cleaning gear is available, however if you have some of your own, bring it along (in case). This will give members the opportunity to see the extent of work involved in #52 and advise Execs what areas of expertise you can assist in the restoration.

In Metro news: #305 (Scania K230/CB60) has received a NEW AOA for Quadrant Super. Similar design to what 303/306 "used" to be like but with yellow. (photos coming) Likewise #306 has received similar AOA and I believe #303 will receive another one too (all 3 for Quadrant Super)
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

I know this probably shouldn't be in here, but what does the change of Government do to Metro?

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
ScaniaL94UB
Favourite Vehicle: Scania

Post by ScaniaL94UB »

Metro most likely will be transformed we all know how much Nick McKim did, NOT much. Craig Farrell member for Derwent Legislative Council is now Tasmanian Transport Minister he has been for several months now. :?
Scania Trucks & Buses. Celebrate 100 years.
leyland clippers
Favourite Vehicle: Ansair buses & coaches

Post by leyland clippers »

Ok the state election has come and gone. We now have a majority Liberal government, (no surprises there). Question now is how long will it take Metro to remove election advertising off buses :?:
Hobart,The Way Life Should Be
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

More like, how long before they are privatised :?: (2yrs :shock: )
Frosty, they only installed some of those political ads last week :lol:
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

tas bus nut ,you hit the nail on the HEAD! :(
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
stevegj52

Post by stevegj52 »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:More like, how long before they are privatised :?: (2yrs :shock: )
That will no doubt arise on the agenda as time goes on and not only Metro will come under the microscope. The new government has a big job ahead of them to start to get Tassie back in the black and to get the state moving again. They need to get or save money from some where, they could raise state taxes or raise fees for government departments etc and or sack more government employees and such or sell off state assets. The money has to come from somewhere. :roll:
1whoknows

Post by 1whoknows »

Phoenix or Crawns running Burnie, Redline running Launceston. I guess due to its size an outsider would need to take Hobart. New low floors funded to replace the high floors by 2020. Dream on eh? At least the dumb light rail idea should get the kybosh now.
"Inside Every Progressive Is A Totalitarian Screaming To Get Out"
David Horowitz.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

stevegj52 wrote:
Tas Bus Nut wrote:More like, how long before they are privatised :?: (2yrs :shock: )
That will no doubt arise on the agenda as time goes on and not only Metro will come under the microscope. The new government has a big job ahead of them to start to get Tassie back in the black and to get the state moving again. They need to get or save money from some where, they could raise state taxes or raise fees for government departments etc and or sack more government employees and such or sell off state assets. The money has to come from somewhere. :roll:
Just dock the salary of some government people if it's higher then $250000. Like, who needs a bloody pay packet of $500000+, when there isn't any need for that much, unless you plan flying in Business Class from Hobart to Melbourne (I know that it can't happen, just an example) everyday 4 times...

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
AEC Regal

Post by AEC Regal »

ScaniaL94UB wrote:Craig Farrell member for Derwent Legislative Council is now Tasmanian Transport Minister he has been for several months now. :?
With the change of Govt, he (Craig) isn't now. Be interesting to see who the Libs give the transport ministry to. If Willy H had any sense, he would give it to Matthew Groom - one of the more decent and sensible of the new Liberal administration.
AEC Regal

Post by AEC Regal »

1whoknows wrote:At least the dumb light rail idea should get the kybosh now.
Possibly the reverse? Consider this....
The State ALP evidently lost interest after its original political patron, Duncan Kerr (Federal ALP, Denison) retired. The state PLP seemed that it couldn't be bothered with it and left it to the Greens to run with. However, we all know what happened there, with McKim, despite the expressed "support" of the Greens, actually doing everything in his power to sabotage it.

The main ALP supporters (as determined by their attendence and contributions to the HNSRAG forums) were Lisa Singh (until she lost her state seat and went to the Senate), Scott Bacon, who whilst fllying the flag for the Govt, curiously never seemed that enthusiastic about the campaign and Craig Farrell, who only inherited the Sustainable Transport portfoloio at the last minute and never managed to get anything done due to going straight into the election campaign. Notable absentees from the HNSRAG forums (which spoke volumes on their opinion of the campaign) were David Bartlett and then Graeme Sturgess (despite it being a big issue for their electorate), David O'Byrne (Minister for Infrastructure), the Premier and McKim - despite it being in his portfolio.

In contrast, the Liberal Denison members have strongly backed the HNSRAG campaign from the start - Elise Archer and Matthew Groom (and prior to his death, Michael Hodgman) have attended virtually every HNSRAG forum and constantly spoken strongly in support of the campaign and subsequently (rightly) slammed McKim's utterly incompetent handling of the project and the ALP's "couldn't give a rats" attitude. Of course, it is easy to support all manner of things whilst in opposition and it will be interesting to see if Elise and Matthew maintain their support for the HNSR now they are in Government and have the guts to stand up to DIER or they "suddenly" go off the boil as well, after being "set straight" by DIER (and wipe out any credibility they had as advocates for Denison and the Liberals campaign to sort out the public service).

P.S. There was nothing "dumb" about the "Light" rail proposal as originally put forward by HNSRAG. The way McKim / DIER screwed with the original proposal and the sorry excuse for a plan they ended up with was undoubtedly dumb, but the original concept of making efficient use of the Hobart Line as a commuter rail spine and integrating it with Metro srvices was perfectly sensible.
danielb

Post by danielb »

Although this isn't a Tas related comment, I just wanted to mention my recent trip to Perth. I was fortunate to catch a Volvo B7 with Optima body. It was awesome! It looks good, sounds wicked and doesn't rattle. Very impressive and we can only hope we get some here someday...
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

danielb wrote:Although this isn't a Tas related comment, I just wanted to mention my recent trip to Perth. I was fortunate to catch a Volvo B7 with Optima body. It was awesome! It looks good, sounds wicked and doesn't rattle. Very impressive and we can only hope we get some here someday...
Keep living in your dream world danielb :mrgreen: (2) MAJOR problems with your comments. #1: Volvo (not Scania) FORGET IT :( #2 Volgren (not Custom) NO HOPE. You keep going to bed with these "dreams" :mrgreen: "Some" @ Metro don't agree, but "majority" DO, we have finally a nice complete package with the new CB80/K280 configuration. Considering the CB80 body has been around for over 5yrs AND with the BIGGER Scania motor, Metro COULD have had a GOOD fleet of buses :roll:
Tas Bus Nut

Post by Tas Bus Nut »

In other Metro news, (3) buses now have AOA for Quadrant Super . . . #303, #305 & #306. Hopefully, this weekend, I get the opportunity to photograph them ALL together :?: Metro buses also featuring the advertisement for :shock: "SEXPO" :shock: being held on 4th April in Hobart.

Nobody seems to have mentioned Cresswell Coaches have a new #6 > Hino RK with possibly an Autobus body (or P&D) :?:
Perhaps 1whoknows, may KNOW if it's another one from Seymour Coaches. Similar body and striping :?:
danielb

Post by danielb »

Yep, I can only keep dreaming. The turbo spool on the Volvo was both fast, loud and intense. I liked it, Metros loss :)

Edit: I was just looking up the Volvo Optimus on Youtube and I was surprised how rattly they are on most of the videos - the one I went on in Perth was dead quiet. It must have been brand spankers?
metro_tas
Favourite Vehicle: Anything volvo or leyland

Post by metro_tas »

creswell 6 came from some college in Victoria I will endeavor to get you a pic of the rear of it as you can see the remnants of glue residue from the sign writing
stevegj52

Post by stevegj52 »

Nobody seems to have mentioned Cresswell Coaches have a new #6 > Hino RK with possibly an Autobus body (or P&D) :?:
Perhaps 1whoknows, may KNOW if it's another one from Seymour Coaches. Similar body and striping :?:

Seymour had one left which was a RK260 P&D, checked their site and all sold.
Last edited by stevegj52 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
stevegj52

Post by stevegj52 »

Tas Bus Nut wrote:
danielb wrote:Although this isn't a Tas related comment, I just wanted to mention my recent trip to Perth. I was fortunate to catch a Volvo B7 with Optima body. It was awesome! It looks good, sounds wicked and doesn't rattle. Very impressive and we can only hope we get some here someday...
Keep living in your dream world danielb :mrgreen: (2) MAJOR problems with your comments. #1: Volvo (not Scania) FORGET IT :( #2 Volgren (not Custom) NO HOPE. You keep going to bed with these "dreams" :mrgreen: "Some" @ Metro don't agree, but "majority" DO, we have finally a nice complete package with the new CB80/K280 configuration. Considering the CB80 body has been around for over 5yrs AND with the BIGGER Scania motor, Metro COULD have had a GOOD fleet of buses :roll:
CB80 seems identical to ADL's Enviro bus in the UK after all it is the same company so to be expected now and most likely will see more ADL models come to Australia, Tullamarine Bus Lines have a new ADL Enviro 200 Dennis in their fleet.

Return to “Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)”