• Advertisement

TerritoryTransit Scania Artics

Darwin/NT & Tasmania Transport Discussion

TerritoryTransit Scania Artics

Postby Merc1107 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:42 pm

I've been up in the NT for some time now, and have gone out and sampled some of the "local bus cuisine."

Several weeks ago, I snatched a ride on TT's 115-A, a Scania L94UA.
Despite all this, I've only seen 115-A out twice near Palmerston, and nothing else during several peak-period trips (all while using the mobile tracking application to move towards any appropriate vehicles).
While traveling along Stuart Highway yesterday, I caught a glimpse of the TT depot and noted all four artics were parked up together near the back of the depot, by themselves.

Given the typical patronage on Darwin-Casuarina routes, I'd have expected artics to be more of a mainstay in service, rather than "randomly appearing" for a few runs in Palmerston, then returning to the depot.

Is anyone aware if these vehicles are pending withdrawal, or remain largely dis-used? Or perhaps they're only used during the school-term for special services?
Coming from Perth, the L94 here in Darwin is my first taste of a diesel Scania artic. Our lone Scania, 3000, is a CNG-powered variant and is a one-off not just in Australia, but on a global scale.
This signature has been censored by the Grammatical Errors Moderation Bureau. Please direct any complaints to their filing cabinet, a nearby paper-shredder or perhaps the bin.

Thank-You.
Merc1107

Favourite Vehicle: 'All' High-Floor Units

Re: TerritoryTransit Scania Artics

Postby Darwin bus lover » Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:50 pm

As far as I am aware the artics are not awaiting retirement any time soon. They are mostly used for early morning orbital link runs and afternoon school runs before like you said a few Palmerston runs followed by a few Palmerston to Darwin routes or Casuarina to Casuarina route (11,2,3).It's likely however that bus 111R will be retired soon as buses 083R and 084R (CB80 on Mercedes Benz bodies) have recently entered service (based on discussions I have had with bus drivers which for the recoded all seem to hate 111R).
Darwin bus lover

Re: TerritoryTransit Scania Artics

Postby Merc1107 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:31 pm

To update on my original post; I've since realised the artics were out of action with the school holidays.

Two of the articulated vehicles, 115A and 116A have since moved to Adelaide. From my vantage point of Perth, thanks to the magic of online tracking, I've not seen any activity from the other two (121A & 122A) for several months now.
Prior to early September, two were going out mornings and afternoons. I was in the NT in June for a time, and witnessed this myself. There was also some weekend action on the #4.

Wasn't aware of the delivery of 83R and 84R. Thanks for filling me in.
As for 111R, this was involved in a major collision about 7yrs ago now. Its quite possible the accident damage has had unintended effects on handling.
Presumably the presence of 84R means the end for 113R, whatever that is doing these days.

Something else to bear in mind - the NT Government are hoping to introduce a minimum of 30min frequencies in the next year or two, based on official documentation I've seen (from the NT Gov., available online). Whether this will eventuate, I'm not sure. It is entirely possible though that new deliveries will not displace older vehicles immediately to allow for growth in capacity.
Merc1107

Favourite Vehicle: 'All' High-Floor Units

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Other States (NT & TAS)