New Custombus model

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Re: New Custombus model

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

The headlights make it look a bit like an Irizar i6

I wonder, why dont the route numvers fit in the desto?
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

MotorOmnibus8562 wrote:The headlights make it look a bit like an Irizar i6

I wonder, why dont the route numvers fit in the desto?
The font size of the numbers are programmed to fit the larger LED desto space of a Bustech bodied bus
Campbelltown busboy

Re: New Custom Denning website

The 3 Busabout Mercedes O500LE Endeavour are m/o 8054,m/o 8059 and m/o 8061. Here's the the link to the new Custom model thread in the NSW transport discussion where I posted a photo of Busabout Endeavour m/o 8059 on March 17th
http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... 5#p1060280
Admin" This post had nothing to do with the website - only taking it off topic
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I hate the name Endeavour. First those Endeavour class ferries now Endeavour buses. Why are we so enamored with Endeavour?
I guess their generic also ran appearance needs a catchy name huh?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Swift wrote:I hate the name Endeavour. First those Endeavour class ferries now Endeavour buses. Why are we so enamored with Endeavour?
Perhaps they want to name everything after these noisy things.

J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

I see that the CB80 is now longer being offered through Custom Denning (or whatever they are called these days) and it seems that the current STA order might be the last of the CB80? Only the Custom Endeavour and the Denning Element (electric bus) are now being offered for city bus operations on their website.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The name obviously traces back to HMB Endeavour, which is considered one of those inspirational events in local history like the name Macquarie.

It's worth noting, in case nobody noticed, that this Wednesday the 29th is the 250th anniversary of Cook's landfall in Botany Bay, without which - except for the descendents of the original inhabitants - none of us would be here.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

tonyp wrote:The name obviously traces back to HMB Endeavour, which is considered one of those inspirational events in local history like the name Macquarie.

It's worth noting, in case nobody noticed, that this Wednesday the 29th is the 250th anniversary of Cook's landfall in Botany Bay, without which - except for the descendents of the original inhabitants - none of us would be here.
Actually many of us probably would, just speaking a different language perhaps. If it wasn't Cook it would have been someone else a bit later. Australia is no longer 'all British' and hasn't been for a very long time.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Swift

Post by Swift »

BroadGauge wrote:
Swift wrote: Perhaps they want to name everything after these noisy things.

Those horrid things I forgot!! Another example. All mediocre designs.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

Centralian wrote:
Actually many of us probably would, just speaking a different language perhaps. If it wasn't Cook it would have been someone else a bit later.
If the Dutch had made landfall in the east instead of the desolate north-west we could have all ended up speaking some variant of Afrikaans instead and our transport would be more closely aligned to 'mainland European' practice instead of British :-)

There would be many more Van Hool buses about :-)
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Van Hool is a Belgian manufacturer. Read the sordid history of King Leopold and the Belgian Congo to see what might have been in store for Australia! The French were the main second-in-line takers, so we might have got low floor buses sooner but all the tramways would have been wiped out, followed later by new, very slow tramways..... oh wait. The Endeavour bus would have been called L'Astrolabe.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Don't know about this argument. The Quebecers buy standard North American buses for their cities rather than any French or another European bus.
Swift

Post by Swift »

They're on the same continent, so you can't compare. France is a fair bit further away than a country next door that offers good trusted products with easily established after sales backup. Also English speaking dominated parts of Canada are very closely tied to the U.S.A in trade.

The Netherlands may not have made anything of New Holland like the British managed to anyway.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Perhaps Scott Dunn is a fan of the British television detective series 'Morse' of a few years ago, main character played by John Thaw.
His first name was never used and only revealed after many years in the second last episode.
A new series is now showing with actor Sean Evans playing the main role of a young Morse following the death of John Thaw.
The new show uses Morse's mysterious first name as its title, revealed as 'Endeavour'.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
bussie

Post by bussie »

rogf24 wrote:Don't know about this argument. The Quebecers buy standard North American buses for their cities rather than any French or another European bus.
Two of big "American" brands, New Flyer and Novabus, are headquartered in Canada. Novabus, owned by Volvo, is in fact a Quebec based company. The other big brand, Gillig, is based in the US, California to be exact.
Campbelltown busboy

Would the recent CB80 Volvo B8RLE order for STA be the last lot of buses to be built with a Custom CB series body after almost 21 years
J_Busworth

Post by J_Busworth »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:09 pm Would the recent CB80 Volvo B8RLE order for STA be the last lot of buses to be built with a Custom CB series body after almost 21 years
My understanding is that State Transit 3120 is the last CB80, but i'm happy to be corrected on that
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Seeing the Endeavors at Blacktown and Mt Druitt quite a bit lately one even made it onto the 771 on Wednesday
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

One door regional/rural bus would be a more comfortable description, or just generic "commuter bus". It makes me nervous to think of such a layout gaining traction in the larger cities! A pretty decent effort. With its long low floor, it reminds me of Bustech's first efforts before they went off the design rails. Still not up to the level of the Volgren Volvo hybrids being built for Victoria, but otherwise looking good.
Campbelltown busboy

tonyp wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:40 pm
One door regional/rural bus would be a more comfortable description, or just generic "commuter bus". It makes me nervous to think of such a layout gaining traction in the larger cities! A pretty decent effort. With its long low floor, it reminds me of Bustech's first efforts before they went off the design rails. Still not up to the level of the Volgren Volvo hybrids being built for Victoria, but otherwise looking good.
That one door Endeavour with the Busabout stripe livery would be for Busabout Wagga as there isn't a centre door and not panted in the blue and white government livery
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:33 pm That one door Endeavour with the Busabout stripe livery would be for Busabout Wagga as there isn't a centre door and not panted in the blue and white government livery
Yes, I understand that. It was stated in the text to the photo.
Campbelltown busboy

Here is a NSW only summery of the Custom Endeavours that are on order or in service so far as of 15/6/2020

Busabout
Smeaton Grange x3 Mercedes Benz O500LE in service with more likely on order
Wagga Wagga x1 Volvo B8RLE on order with more likely on order

Busways
Glendenning x7 Volvo B8RLE in service

Interline
X2 Volvo B8RLE on order

Punchbowl Bus Co
X1 Scania K320UB in service

There could be other operators that would consider ordering the Endeavour with a preferred chassis and at the same time Busways Interline and PBC could put orders in for more Endeavours with their preferred chassis of choice
J_Busworth

Post by J_Busworth »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:45 pm Here is a NSW only summery of the Custom Endeavours that are on order or in service so far as of 15/6/2020

Busabout
Smeaton Grange x3 Mercedes Benz O500LE in service with more likely on order
Wagga Wagga x1 Volvo B8RLE on order with more likely on order
Busabout have ordered at least 8 Custom Endeavours at this stage

4x Mercedes Benz OC500LE, in service at Smeaton Grange
4x Volvo B8RLE, on order for Wagga Wagga
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Interlines newest Endeavour has just left the factory five minutes ago.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”