Private Observations 2019

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
joshurandazzo
Favourite Vehicle: m/o 1287 - merc O405NH

Re: Private Observations 2019

Post by joshurandazzo »

TSAs 1930 - Seems to have one of the four Perth Gear Shift patterns.
I remember back in 2010 before the CNG O500LE's loud gearboxes were turned down some of them were the most powerful CNG buses in the fleet.

Here is one example of a untuned down one by the legendary Nathan Crisp while is 2019 it still has a loudish gearbox it is nowhere near as powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMctgkaNbvM
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I noticed a Digger Shuttle Service Toyota Hiace running around with a TAXI sign on the top of it on Monday through Maitland

I don't suppose they are obtaining ex Taxi Hiaces are they?

Looked weird seeing a shuttle service minibus with a taxi sign on top of it.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: MAN 18.310, MB O405NH, L94

Post by Merc1107 »

joshurandazzo wrote:TSAs 1930 - Seems to have one of the four Perth Gear Shift patterns.
I remember back in 2010 before the CNG O500LE's loud gearboxes were turned down some of them were the most powerful CNG buses in the fleet.

Here is one example of a untuned down one by the legendary Nathan Crisp while is 2019 it still has a loudish gearbox it is nowhere near as powerful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMctgkaNbvM
Would need to experience how it behaves in person to say for sure, but it's either the program commonly found on the Midis or the majority of the earlier deliveries (e.g. 1234-1299 - a few among these have different patterns, though). The late torque converter lockup in first is making me think it's the program usually found on the Midis. Both of these shift patterns are characterised by torque converter unlocking during retarder operation. Flaring upshifts from into second and fourth are also noticeable on well-worn units with this shift pattern.
In Transit

Post by In Transit »

Linto63 wrote:
tonyp wrote:Mind you, I understand even less how UK, a country with a population of 66 million, can operate single-door commuter buses.
Full size London buses are double door, yet when large, experienced operators such as Arriva, FirstGroup, Go-Ahead, Stagecoach and Transdev cascade them to their regional operations, they always go to the effort of removing the rear door, so there must be something in it.
To put it another way - London always has a rear door, so there must be something in it....

Never underestimate the power of groupthink and accepted ways of doing things. Then again, if dwell time was really a consideration in the UK then they wouldn't continue to apply double deckers to pretty much all situations where a regular rigid isn't sufficient. If TfNSW didn't require it, I suspect many buses still ordered by private operators in Sydney today would also only have a front door.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

In Transit wrote: If TfNSW didn't require it, I suspect many buses still ordered by private operators in Sydney today would also only have a front door.
The Australian bus sector as a whole doesn't give much thought to what happens past the front two metres of a bus and what's in the engine bay. It might as well be a pantech behind the cab of a truck, simply a space to store the cargo. I suspect that's British thinking. The difference between British bus practice and (continental) European is like two different planets.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

I was in Parramatta today and saw a few 14.5s doing routes 601 and 665 are Hillsbus starting to use 14.5s on more non city services now the metro is opened and I've also noticed that Transdev have Mercedes and Volvo VSTs with double leaf centre doors running around in regions 10 and 13 I saw a Mercedes O500LE with a rego starting in 68 in Hurstville yesterday and two Volvo B8RLEs also with regos starting with 68 in Parramatta today when did Transdev start ordering buses with centre doors
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

That has been happenings for years now see http://fleetlists.busaustralia.com/tdv. ... 0%22VST%22 some Metrobuses back in 2010 and plenty since then.
Living in the Shire.
Campbelltown busboy

Fleet Lists wrote:That has been happenings for years now see http://fleetlists.busaustralia.com/tdv. ... 0%22VST%22 some Metrobuses back in 2010 and plenty since then.
I know about the Transdev VSTs fitted with a single leaf centre door but I never knew that Transdev had VSTs fitted with a double leaf centre door
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

But that was NOT your question which purely asked about centre doors. I believe all buses which were cascaded down from Metro temporary services, contain double leaf centre doors.
Living in the Shire.
Campbelltown busboy

Fleet Lists wrote:But that was NOT your question which purely asked about centre doors. I believe all buses which were cascaded down from Metro temporary services, contain double leaf centre doors.
I also asked for the reason why Hillsbus are starting to use their 14.5s on Rouse Hill services from Parramatta I saw a few today and at least 1 arriving into Parramatta on a terminating 601 while I was waiting a 600 to Castle Hill from Parramatta last Wednesday morning
iamthouth

Post by iamthouth »

With the reduction in CBD services, Foundry depot is now operating 601 Rouse Hill to Parramatta, some of those 14.5m buses.
Last edited by iamthouth on Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Campbelltown busboy

Why do Hillsbus need two depots in Seven Hills just close the small depot near the station as a operational depot and transfer all operations from that depot to Foundry road
stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

Actually, the smaller Seven Hills depot is quite unique.

With a strength of 33 buses, 29 of them are identical Volvo B10BLEs with CB60 bodies, with the remaining four being Scania K94s with Volgren bodies.

So if you are currently standing at a bus stop in suburban Seven Hills waiting for the next bus to Blacktown, there’s 29 chances in 33 that you know what bus type is coming.

As a sideline, average age wise, they would probably be close to being in contravention, given the depot fleet average age would probably be around 16 to 17 years.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:Why do Hillsbus need two depots in Seven Hills just close the small depot near the station as a operational depot and transfer all operations from that depot to Foundry road
You'll find that CDC would be aware of any disadvantages (operationally or financially) of having two depots close together, and would merge them if there was any benefit.

IIRC the depot near the station was inherited from a previous operator, and may not be available for expansion
Last edited by boronia on Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
iamthouth

Post by iamthouth »

Both depots are full to capacity, and are both required (weekdays). Hartley Rd is in a flood zone. Northmead also operates the 700 series routes going through Seven Hills Station, Foundry operates 611.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

stajourneyman wrote:Actually, the smaller Seven Hills depot is quite unique.

With a strength of 33 buses, 29 of them are identical Volvo B10BLEs with CB60 bodies, with the remaining four being Scania K94s with Volgren bodies.

So if you are currently standing at a bus stop in suburban Seven Hills waiting for the next bus to Blacktown, there’s 29 chances in 33 that you know what bus type is coming.
A very bland fleet indeed. Those CB60s probably the shorty lived early type with the single piece front corner panels. Yucky poo. No thanks. And in canary yellow to boot. My Laser has more character than them.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: R9 Volvo Volgren artic

Post by Transport Buff »

Glad we have some new Mercedes deliveries for Sydney, as it has been a while, with STAs Regions 7-9 as well as ex STA (now Transit Systems) Region 6

4 new Mercedes O500LE Volgren Optimus buses for Transit Systems Region 6 Leichardt Depot:

Fleetlists link: http://www.busaustralia.com/fleetlists/ ... &ltype=new
Love Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K310UB, Custom Denning Element
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-NIF
-PLR
-WestConnex
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@TransportBuff
ub94k

Post by ub94k »

Glad we have some new Mercedes deliveries for Sydney, as it has been a while, with STAs Regions 7-9 as well as ex STA (now Transit Systems) Region 6
Busways have quite a few OC500le's, both in the volgren optimus and custom cb80 bodys. And they are excellent buses might I add.
Campbelltown busboy

Busways Interline and Transdev are a few operators that already have euro 6 powered Mercedes O500LEs with bodies such as Custom CB80 (Busways and Interline) Volgren optimums (Busways) and Bustech VST (Interline and Transdev)
Stu

Post by Stu »

There is going to be construction work taking place on the outside area of the Australian National Maritime Museum which may be to do with the 250th Anniversary of James Cook's first voyage to Australia and the Pacific in 1770, there are other special events occurring around Australia to mark this event. This will most likely affect the 389.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

Has been great seeing something different on the Blue Mountains Train Replacements over the last few days, Penrith to Lithgow.
On previous occasions the Premier Group has flooded their vehicles onto the rosters, which becomes somewhat boring from an enthusiasts point of view.
On this round I'm seeing Fantastic Aussie Tours, Cumberland, Compass, Buslines Lithgow, Telfords, Kennedys, and others.
Plus chance to see an interesting bridge replacement underway in Penrith.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Campbelltown busboy

Centralian wrote:Has been great seeing something different on the Blue Mountains Train Replacements over the last few days, Penrith to Lithgow.
On previous occasions the Premier Group has flooded their vehicles onto the rosters, which becomes somewhat boring from an enthusiasts point of view.
On this round I'm seeing Fantastic Aussie Tours, Cumberland, Compass, Buslines Lithgow, Telfords, Kennedys, and others.
Plus chance to see an interesting bridge replacement underway in Penrith.
The old rail bridge that goes over the Nepean river at Penrith would be a really interesting replacement project would that be the bridge your talking about
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

No, go back towards Penrith Station. It's the rail bridge over Castlereagh Rd, near the Fire Museum.
They've built the replacement concrete bridge off-site near the tennis courts opposite Jane St.
It was being turned 90 degrees and moved a few hundred metres into place.
I'm sure a search under Castlereagh Rd railbridge will bring up details.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”