NSW Railway Observations 2019

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Scott4570
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:16 am

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by Scott4570 »

marcnut1996 wrote:Anyone know the rationale for building a crossover at Hurstville?
https://yoursay.transport.nsw.gov.au/mtms-hurstville
At present, that's the only move that cannot be made when Terminating a Down train on Platform 4 for return to the City.

By putting in that Crossover, this returns to what was there before the last Layout Modification (circa late 80's), when, in the same era, over on the Local Lines the Scissors Crossover was in place on the Sydney side of Platforms 1 & 2. In those days, the only move that could not be made was to Terminate a Down train into Platform 3 (Up Main).

User avatar
ScaniaGrenda
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:46 am
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I'm not sure if this happens all the time and I'm not up to date what goes in Sydney and Yadda Yadda but Anytrip is saying a 4 car Endeavour set is going to Broadmeadow departing at 9:41 AM

Would it be possible for members of the public to board this train to Broadmeadow providing it's a public service? or am I missing something? I think it's a special train of some sort as why is only two stops listed? Maybe someone here can tell me more
Image
Transport from the Hunter Valley & Beyond - cr228l.com

Transport Buff
Posts: 90
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:46 am
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B12BLEA Volgren CR228L
Location: Blue Mountains, Sydney, NSW
Contact:

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by Transport Buff »

Interesting that there is an S Set on presumably a Charter from Leppington to Richmond as a T5 Charter.
Also, because it is a weekend, there are a decent amount of C Sets and K Sets available for the charter if necessary, unless the S Set was specifically chosen to run the Charter by who booked it.
Here is the Anytrip Link: https://anytrip.com.au/region/nsw?selec ... t:880C%2F0
Love the sound of Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH CNG, Scania K310UB
Yay - NIF!
Excited for Sydney Metro NW, C&SW
Excited for CSELR
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD7ijd ... BZFksdraqg

User avatar
Cowra
Posts: 554
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:54 am
Favourite Vehicle: Old ones.
Location: The Red Lines

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by Cowra »

Transport Buff wrote:Interesting that there is an S Set on presumably a Charter from Leppington to Richmond as a T5 Charter.
Also, because it is a weekend, there are a decent amount of C Sets and K Sets available for the charter if necessary, unless the S Set was specifically chosen to run the Charter by who booked it.
Here is the Anytrip Link: https://anytrip.com.au/region/nsw?selec ... t:880C%2F0
It's the single deck electric set F1. For scheduling purposes it is regarded as an S-set.
Ringer of bus bells and tram gongs.

User avatar
Campbelltown busboy
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:23 am
Location: Ruse/Campbelltown City NSW

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Does the north coast section of the Sydney to Brisbane line go though the middle of any of the areas where those bad bushfires are burning currently and if it does then would the RFS have the power to ask Transport For NSW to close the line if it comes to that
1000 posts and counting
1st post Sun Aug 11 2013 8:04pm
1000th post Sun Dec 15 2019 4:30pm

bussie
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:35 pm

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by bussie »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:Does the north coast section of the Sydney to Brisbane line go though the middle of any of the areas where those bad bushfires are burning currently and if it does then would the RFS have the power to ask Transport For NSW to close the line if it comes to that
That would not be under the purview of TNSW, they don't own the tracks beyond Newcastle. ARTC is the asset owner in this case.

User avatar
boronia
Posts: 19452
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:18 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107
Location: Sydney

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by boronia »

ScaniaGrenda wrote:I'm not sure if this happens all the time and I'm not up to date what goes in Sydney and Yadda Yadda but Anytrip is saying a 4 car Endeavour set is going to Broadmeadow departing at 9:41 AM

Would it be possible for members of the public to board this train to Broadmeadow providing it's a public service? or am I missing something? I think it's a special train of some sort as why is only two stops listed? Maybe someone here can tell me more
May be related to this.
https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6041313

Perhaps they are being generous by running extra services down, rather than than just sending them empty
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.

User avatar
ScaniaGrenda
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:46 am
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

whatever it was, it didn't show up at Broadmeadow yesterday at the Scheduled time. N set 2807 did show up at 12:05 PM but it was a 2 car set and not sure if that was the same one that left Central yesterday morning and got split into two cars somewhere. No one got off 2807 and it eventually took off back towards the stabling yard.
Transport from the Hunter Valley & Beyond - cr228l.com

Scott4570
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:16 am

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by Scott4570 »

On Saturdays only, the 0556 hours Goulburn to Sydney Service, due Sydney 0857 hours, is a 4car set and is tabled to Form Empty Exchange Cars at 0941 hours to Broadmeadow, arriving at 1222 hours. It is then tabled to run back into Broadmeadow Maintenance Centre.

Whether that actually happens is another question.
Last edited by Scott4570 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stonesourscotty
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:01 am
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL
Location: Wigan England / Penrith Sydney

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by Stonesourscotty »

A 4 car went past Burwood about 10 mins after it was scheduled to depart from central then I saw a 2 car about 5 minutes behind at Lewisham might be an answer for you.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

User avatar
boronia
Posts: 19452
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:18 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107
Location: Sydney

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by boronia »

Scott4570 wrote:On Saturdays only, the 0556 hours Goulburn to Sydney Service, due Sydney 0857 hours, is a 4car set and is tabled to Form Empty Exchange Cars at 0941 hours to Broadmeadow, arriving at 1222 hours. It is then tabled to run back into Broadmeadow Maintenance Centre.

Whether that actually happens is another question.
Shame it does not take passngers, would be an interesting change from an Oscar.

Does not appear on Trip Finder or Trip View.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.

User avatar
Fleet Lists
Administrator
Posts: 21535
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:49 am
Location: The Shire

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by Fleet Lists »

Alert https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6041653 for trackwork this weekend on the North Shore line has just had an additional bus route added 17T1 Wollstonecraft all to Wynyard and return.
I dont recall any previous replacement routes operating to/from Wollstonecraft.
Living in the Shire.

User avatar
boronia
Posts: 19452
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:18 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107
Location: Sydney

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by boronia »

Anticipating problems on BMT line this evening, Compass had NINE coaches/buses on standby at Penrith around 15.30
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.

Bjwh86
Posts: 591
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:59 am

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by Bjwh86 »

boronia wrote:Anticipating problems on BMT line this evening, Compass had NINE coaches/buses on standby at Penrith around 15.30
Still there as of 8:30pm

Sent from my CPH1725 using Tapatalk

User avatar
Swift
Posts: 10963
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:23 am
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra
Location: Ettalong- the world capital of 0405s.

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by Swift »

Fleet Lists wrote:Alert https://transportnsw.info/alerts/details#/6041653 for trackwork this weekend on the North Shore line has just had an additional bus route added 17T1 Wollstonecraft all to Wynyard and return.
I dont recall any previous replacement routes operating to/from Wollstonecraft.
Probably to quarantine that section full of slow windey streets from services to the stations north of Wollstonecraft that are relatively straightforward to access by road.
Unapologetically hate attention seeking bus pax.

neilrex
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:34 am

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by neilrex »

The information from various sources about trains on the T1 and T9 lines seems to be becoming increasingly confused.

The network map shows the T1 running along the north shore line to Hornsby and Berowra, and the T9 line ending at Gordon. The actual behaviour on the ground seems to be almost entirely the opposite of this. Every southbound train that I have caught from Berowra, Hornsby, Pymble, Gordon or Lindfield, has been a T9 train if commencing from Berowra or Hornsby, and a T1 train if from Gordon or Lindfield.

At Hornsby station, they actually have new announcements which state that trains headed down the North Shore line will become T9 services after they pass Central. But they don't seem to make these announcements anywhere else. And, if someone on the T1 line actually wants to go to North Strathfield or Rhodes, then Hornsby station is the LEAST USEFUL place to make such an announcement, because any such passenger wanting to go there from Hornsby would be catching an actual T9 train via Epping.

Meanwhile, the signs on the front of the train still say Central. The announcements don't regularly say where the train will go, Nor do the platform monitors.

The current pdf timetable for the north shore line also doesn't say where trains are going to eventually go. So if you want to catch a train from Roseville to Richmond, there is a lot of faffing around with 2 PDF files to figure it out. And then you eventually find that the trains to Richmond are the ones that skip Roseville. This is not rocket science ! Fifty years ago the printed timetables showed which of the alternative final destinations the trains were supposed to be heading towards.

Meanwhile, the northbound trains headed to Berowra seem to stop at Roseville, while the trains headed to Lindfield, skip Roseville. I'm sure that makes sense to somebody, not to me.

neilrex
Posts: 697
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:34 am

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by neilrex »

Another curiosity I observed recently, is that the alternating all-stops and limited-stops train from Gosford to Hornsby, seemed to be operating at regular 30 minute intervals at Gosford, and therefore at roughly 40/20 minute in intervals at Hornsby. This is the opposite of what they usually appear to do, with the 30 minute spacing at Hornsby and 20/40 minute spacing at Gosford.

When I checked the timetable later, I found that they are scheduled to do this, but only between about 2 pm and 4 pm on weekend afternoons.

They also had the BS with 4 and 8 car trains, where the 8 car trains are uncrowded and the 4 car train so crowded that passengers from Woy Woy were unable to board the train. What's with this ? I have seen this problem on trains from the central coast line and the bluemountains line and the kiama line. Are they so short of trains ? They still have to pay the driver and the guard. How much electricity does it save ?

User avatar
Newcastle Flyer
Posts: 4488
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2004 3:20 am
Location: Somewhere between here, there & anywhere!

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Since a number of stations have now been extended for the NIF's (D-Sets), such as Adamstown, wouldn't it be logical to allow the existing trains to use the extensions, instead of having them closed off?
White lives matter too, as do ALL lives.

User avatar
boronia
Posts: 19452
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:18 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107
Location: Sydney

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by boronia »

neilrex wrote:The information from various sources about trains on the T1 and T9 lines seems to be becoming increasingly confused.

The network map shows the T1 running along the north shore line to Hornsby and Berowra, and the T9 line ending at Gordon. The actual behaviour on the ground seems to be almost entirely the opposite of this. Every southbound train that I have caught from Berowra, Hornsby, Pymble, Gordon or Lindfield, has been a T9 train if commencing from Berowra or Hornsby, and a T1 train if from Gordon or Lindfield.

At Hornsby station, they actually have new announcements which state that trains headed down the North Shore line will become T9 services after they pass Central. But they don't seem to make these announcements anywhere else. And, if someone on the T1 line actually wants to go to North Strathfield or Rhodes, then Hornsby station is the LEAST USEFUL place to make such an announcement, because any such passenger wanting to go there from Hornsby would be catching an actual T9 train via Epping.

Meanwhile, the signs on the front of the train still say Central. The announcements don't regularly say where the train will go, Nor do the platform monitors.

The current pdf timetable for the north shore line also doesn't say where trains are going to eventually go. So if you want to catch a train from Roseville to Richmond, there is a lot of faffing around with 2 PDF files to figure it out. And then you eventually find that the trains to Richmond are the ones that skip Roseville. This is not rocket science ! Fifty years ago the printed timetables showed which of the alternative final destinations the trains were supposed to be heading towards.

Meanwhile, the northbound trains headed to Berowra seem to stop at Roseville, while the trains headed to Lindfield, skip Roseville. I'm sure that makes sense to somebody, not to me.
Send in feedback, and TfNSW's stock answer to these problems is "use Trip Finder or an app to plan your journey". They have no intention (or maybe no ability) to provide meaningful signage for passengers.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.

Stonesourscotty
Posts: 414
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:01 am
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL
Location: Wigan England / Penrith Sydney

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by Stonesourscotty »

The two Led fitted Tangaras are at Blacktown Platform 3 with Auburn as the destination on the screen. The ex g Set is leading.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

User avatar
Swift
Posts: 10963
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:23 am
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra
Location: Ettalong- the world capital of 0405s.

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by Swift »

Amazing how they could source reversible seating for those but expected people who often travelled just as long within Sydney to wear non reversible seats after taking the feature as a given on all other trains, including the outgoing standard suburban sets.
Unapologetically hate attention seeking bus pax.

User avatar
boronia
Posts: 19452
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:18 pm
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107
Location: Sydney

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by boronia »

The fixed seats started with the C sets, and soon they will be inflicted on InterCity passengers so they can have the privilege of seat back tables and USB ports, which no doubt the ferals will destroy within the first few weeks.
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.

User avatar
Campbelltown busboy
Posts: 1202
Joined: Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:23 am
Location: Ruse/Campbelltown City NSW

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Swift wrote:Amazing how they could source reversible seating for those but expected people who often travelled just as long within Sydney to wear non reversible seats after taking the feature as a given on all other trains, including the outgoing standard suburban sets.
We can put the non reversible seating on the C sets and the 92 suburban Tangara sets down to what the Wran/Unsworth government ordered back in the mid 80's
1000 posts and counting
1st post Sun Aug 11 2013 8:04pm
1000th post Sun Dec 15 2019 4:30pm

User avatar
Swift
Posts: 10963
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:23 am
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra
Location: Ettalong- the world capital of 0405s.

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by Swift »

boronia wrote:The fixed seats started with the C sets, and soon they will be inflicted on InterCity passengers so they can have the privilege of seat back tables and USB ports, which no doubt the ferals will destroy within the first few weeks.
They plainly don't know their market. Blithering fools imposing something they will never be personally exposed to. Ferals are among the must prolific smart phone users. They would be a shooting themselves in the foot. It shows that smart phones don't translate to the users.
They will find nefarious uses for the tables but their mission to inconvenience others for kicks will always override that.
Unapologetically hate attention seeking bus pax.

User avatar
tonyp
Posts: 9471
Joined: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:31 pm
Location: Shoalhaven

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by tonyp »

Their main objectives would be weight, cost and, possibly, seat pitch (if they could get another row of seats in with less pitch). NSW has been spoiled with a general policy since the 1930s of padded seating facing the direction of travel on all modes. With the growing use of off the shelf international vehicle (and vessel) products this is changing unfortunately. What they need to use in double ended vehicles is longitudinal seating where possible. This is a compromise for everybody. Travelling backwards is the pits. If they can't use longitudinal, they should stick to reversible.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"

Post Reply

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”