NSW Railway Observations 2019

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
TSE_SecretAni
Favourite Vehicle: Yutong E12, Bustech VST, Orana

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Post by TSE_SecretAni »

andy_centralcoast wrote:The Northern Line is finally becoming red again, and will be renamed T9, from April 28.

Where did you find that map?
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/a-n ... 50z1r.html

Still need to give the T6 designation to something else when (or if) the line closes this or next year
swtt

Post by swtt »

In all honesty, I don't understand why the T9/red line wasn't resurrected on 30/9/2018 when the ECRL shut down.
swtt

Post by swtt »

kypros1992 wrote:https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/a-n ... 50z1r.html

Still need to give the T6 designation to something else when (or if) the line closes this or next year
T6 Inner West (Parramatta)
T2 Leppington
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

At least common sense has finally prevailed. The introduction of the T8 and now T9 to simplify the network for customers makes the map so much better. They are going to need to renumber the line sooner or later. With the impending conversions of the Bankstown and Carlingford line to Metro and Light Rail respectively I presume we will eventually be back at T1-T7.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
swtt

Post by swtt »

J_Busworth wrote:At least common sense has finally prevailed. The introduction of the T8 and now T9 to simplify the network for customers makes the map so much better. They are going to need to renumber the line sooner or later. With the impending conversions of the Bankstown and Carlingford line to Metro and Light Rail respectively I presume we will eventually be back at T1-T7.
T3 will be a Lidcombe-Liverpool-Bankstown (or Yagoona!) triangle :lol:
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

swtt wrote:In all honesty, I don't understand why the T9/red line wasn't resurrected on 30/9/2018 when the ECRL shut down.
Is it because they only make the decision to break up the Hornsby-Hornsby loop again this year?
swtt

Post by swtt »

stupid_girl wrote:
swtt wrote:In all honesty, I don't understand why the T9/red line wasn't resurrected on 30/9/2018 when the ECRL shut down.
Is it because they only make the decision to break up the Hornsby-Hornsby loop again this year?
I think so. My suspicion is that off peak Hornsby via Strathfield trains will go to Gordon, and Western services will go all the way to Hornsby/Berowra.

It's almost the same arrangement as the pre-ECRL TT - where Hornsby via Strathfield proceeded to Lindfield.
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

swtt wrote:It's almost the same arrangement as the pre-ECRL TT - where Hornsby via Strathfield proceeded to Lindfield.
According to the map, some services will still terminate at Lindfield and Nth Sydney, judging by the bold station names
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

swtt wrote:
stupid_girl wrote:Is it because they only make the decision to break up the Hornsby-Hornsby loop again this year?
I think so. My suspicion is that off peak Hornsby via Strathfield trains will go to Gordon, and Western services will go all the way to Hornsby/Berowra.

It's almost the same arrangement as the pre-ECRL TT - where Hornsby via Strathfield proceeded to Lindfield.
No, at this stage the difference is the late North Sydney terminators will extend to Gordon. Not much of a change but provides more late services from the city for the metro connection.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Aurora wrote: No, at this stage the difference is the late North Sydney terminators will extend to Gordon. Not much of a change but provides more late services from the city for the metro connection.
So on the indicator screens, down T9 services ex Hornsby via Eastwood could go all the way to Hornsby via Gordon and show up as T9?
Frodo

Post by Frodo »

A few minor changes to central coast services for tonight only-

6.04pm Central to Gosford is not stopping at Redfern
Minor timing changes and some services scheduled to stop at platform 6 at Strathfield during the afternoon peak
10.48pm Central to Newcastle is skipping Asquith, Mt Colah, and Mt Kuringgai as it has been built up to 8V - instead, the 10.33pm Central to Hornsby via Strathfield has been extended to Berowra, departing Hornsby after the newcastle train
swtt

Post by swtt »

Probably to cater for the increased patronage due to the Eminem concert at Olympic Park.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 20 Pro using Tapatalk
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Second Bathurst Bullet service to stop at Tarana
https://www.oberonreview.com.au/story/5 ... ySjaWE3ebA

Wow, Tarana must be a busy station, getting Opal gates LOL
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: R9 Volvo Volgren artic

Post by Transport Buff »

Spotted a couple B Sets on the T7 on Anytrip! They are going from Central, and stopping at Redfern, Strathfield and Olympic Park.
https://anytrip.com.au/?searchString=Ry ... t:S06C%2F0
Love Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K310UB, Custom Denning Element
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-NIF
-PLR
-WestConnex
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@TransportBuff
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

event at SOP, not surprising
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

A42 has returned to Sydney with the car that hit the stop buffer being replaced by D6379 (part of the prototype)
See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZvHP3r12PQ
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

I was starting to think I'd never see it leave Cardiff.
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Frodo wrote:A few minor changes to central coast services for tonight only-

6.04pm Central to Gosford is not stopping at Redfern
Minor timing changes and some services scheduled to stop at platform 6 at Strathfield during the afternoon peak
10.48pm Central to Newcastle is skipping Asquith, Mt Colah, and Mt Kuringgai as it has been built up to 8V - instead, the 10.33pm Central to Hornsby via Strathfield has been extended to Berowra, departing Hornsby after the newcastle train
11:48pm Central to Newcastle also built up to 8V and after Epping the guard announced "the stopping pattern has changed due to an operational issue" and would now skip Asquith, Mt Colah and Mt Kuringai. Customers for these stops were told to get off at Hornsby and see station staff who would call taxis for them.

At Berowra the train arrived on the shorter Platform 2 instead of Platform 3 and at first it didn't open the doors because the rear car was off the platform, but then after a minute or so they relented announcing 'front 7 cars'.

It was all a bit bizarre as 8V have stopped at Asquith to Berowra before with no issue and it was a regularly timetabled occurrence until recently.

Meanwhile at Cowan and all other short platform stations they announced the usual 'front/rear 2/4/6 cars' as normal.
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

andy_centralcoast wrote:
At Berowra the train arrived on the shorter Platform 2 instead of Platform 3 and at first it didn't open the doors because the rear car was off the platform, but then after a minute or so they relented announcing 'front 7 cars'.

It was all a bit bizarre as 8V have stopped at Asquith to Berowra before with no issue and it was a regularly timetabled occurrence until recently.

Meanwhile at Cowan and all other short platform stations they announced the usual 'front/rear 2/4/6 cars' as normal.
Re Berowra:
I imagine an argument with the driver and the guard took place as to the stopping position. In this instance, they would both be right, so the guard would have had to defer to the driver. The guard should have been on the platform, but since P3 opened there’s no 8V marker on the platform 2 track, and even so, the lead car would have been both fowling points and under a bridge... both of which are prohibited without a local working appendix.

Re stopping Asquith - Mt Kurring-gai:
8 V can stop at all those platforms but they require an on board repeater as on the blue mountains. Usually there is a second guard rostered to do this when it’s planned but as it wasn’t planned, it’s quicker to chancel the stops than it is to have the guard walk the length of the platform twice at each station. The guard could have cut out and moved to the 5th car but as it wasn’t an emergency it wouldn’t have been allowed as the act of the guard cutting out would have released all the doors on both sides of the train which is only permitted at terminating locations.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

^Getting customers taxis to Asquith - Mt Kurring-gai wouldn't have been cheap particularly late at night & likely having to use regular 4 seat cabs. Does anybody know if Sydney Trains uses Uber as a taxi service ?
BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Frosty wrote:^Getting customers taxis to Asquith - Mt Kurring-gai wouldn't have been cheap particularly late at night
It wouldn't have cost that much really. It's only just up the road.

Probably cheaper than the cost of paying for train crew to work overtime, if they had decided to extend another train to Berowra to make up for the lack of service to those stations.
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

plus, probably not delivering them to home, just to the station. hardly anyone travels beyond Asquith anyway
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

gilberations wrote: Re Berowra:
I imagine an argument with the driver and the guard took place as to the stopping position. In this instance, they would both be right, so the guard would have had to defer to the driver. The guard should have been on the platform, but since P3 opened there’s no 8V marker on the platform 2 track, and even so, the lead car would have been both fowling points and under a bridge... both of which are prohibited without a local working appendix.

Re stopping Asquith - Mt Kurring-gai:
8 V can stop at all those platforms but they require an on board repeater as on the blue mountains. Usually there is a second guard rostered to do this when it’s planned but as it wasn’t planned, it’s quicker to chancel the stops than it is to have the guard walk the length of the platform twice at each station. The guard could have cut out and moved to the 5th car but as it wasn’t an emergency it wouldn’t have been allowed as the act of the guard cutting out would have released all the doors on both sides of the train which is only permitted at terminating locations.
What's different about those stations that they need an on board repeater? All the other short platforms north of Berowra didn't? The transportnsw website even lists Asquith, Mt Colah and Berowra as 'last 6 cars' - that could only be for 8V.

And I assume it was planned because the run was listed as 8 car intercity in TripView.
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

andy_centralcoast wrote:
What's different about those stations that they need an on board repeater? All the other short platforms north of Berowra didn't? The transportnsw website even lists Asquith, Mt Colah and Berowra as 'last 6 cars' - that could only be for 8V.

And I assume it was planned because the run was listed as 8 car intercity in TripView.
TripView is updated as live where possible. The service was probably originally an H set or a 4V, or it it was always an 8V the lack of repeated would have been a scheduling error.

As to the need for a repeater, I already answered that question. It’s nothing to do with the length of the platform, but it’s curve

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”