Distribution of high-capcity buses in NSW

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
tonyp

Re: Distribution of high-capcity buses in NSW

Post by tonyp »

boronia wrote: From a quick look, these roads appear to be related to routes already in use.

Presumably RMS would survey more, if operators requested?

These would only be "state" roads, local councils might have to approval local roads.
It's done at state level as part of TfNSW's consideration of approval of a route, with the RMS having the responsibility for checking the clearances and rectifying them where necessary.
Off The Rails
Favourite Vehicle: Anything with an engine brake

Post by Off The Rails »

You know, tonyp, to be even more pedantic, WA (as a whole, not just Transperth) has 126 artics and 3 double deckers in regular use (to the best of my knowledge).

Cheers! :wink:
Officially the last person to tag off the 381 - 20/5/16.
Second last person to tag off the last timetabled 16 - 23/08/19.
Last person to tag off a Transdev Joondalup service - 19/1/20.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Off The Rails wrote:You know, tonyp, to be even more pedantic, WA (as a whole, not just Transperth) has 126 artics and 3 double deckers in regular use (to the best of my knowledge).

Being pedantic is encouraged on this thread! However, how many of them run in actual route bus service (commuter or school) as opposed to charter only, party buses etc?
Off The Rails

Post by Off The Rails »

tonyp wrote:
Off The Rails wrote:You know, tonyp, to be even more pedantic, WA (as a whole, not just Transperth) has 126 artics and 3 double deckers in regular use (to the best of my knowledge).

Being pedantic is encouraged on this thread! However, how many of them run in actual route bus service (commuter or school) as opposed to charter only, party buses etc?
I couldn't be exact on the 23 private artics, but Transperth's 103 and the 3 deckers are in route service.

Bus Suggestions
Favourite Vehicle: Something with a ZF Ecomat

Post by Bus Suggestions »

If the 23 private artics are within the Westwide or Horizon's West fleets, than they'll be out and about as those two companies do run school services as well as charters.
I'd post any important, bus-related links I had, but they're outdated anyways.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Tim Williams' double decker list in the general transport thread doesn't include any deckers in WA, though I've seen an ex Sydney Atlantean party bus in Perth. So where are these three deckers in route service?

The private artics could also do with a bit of a breakdown but I won't follow it up here as this is a NSW-specific thread. I've done enough of a national search to reveal that there are over 700 artics on route service across Australia. That sets the NSW picture in perspective.
Off The Rails

Post by Off The Rails »

The 3 deckers that I'm referring to are the ones operated by City Sightseeing.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Off The Rails wrote:The 3 deckers that I'm referring to are the ones operated by City Sightseeing.

OK thanks. I guess I wouldn't classify these buses as public route (commuter or school) buses though.
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

On the Double Decker listing I have noted in the Sydney section, under City Explorer, Perth + a couple of other cities - I have just not specified the numbers/types in each city, as I am unsure of that.

As mentioned a couple of times, I have excluded party buses (Atlanteans etc.) as they don't do much for deckers, both in what they do (encouraging the young to drink excessively and generally behave in a noisy/rowdy manner) and the buses themselves are sometimes/often in a pretty poor condition.

Just in case you think I am a moralistic non-drinking wowser, I certainly am not, but these party buses do the industry no favours - they are a poor sight on a Friday or Saturday night, with the noisy / half drunken payload.

Here endeth the first lesson!
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Tim Williams wrote: As mentioned a couple of times, I have excluded party buses (Atlanteans etc.) as they don't do much for deckers, both in what they do (encouraging the young to drink excessively and generally behave in a noisy/rowdy manner) and the buses themselves are sometimes/often in a pretty poor condition.

Just in case you think I am a moralistic non-drinking wowser, I certainly am not, but these party buses do the industry no favours - they are a poor sight on a Friday or Saturday night, with the noisy / half drunken payload.

Here endeth the first lesson!
I don't know what you think of this articulated pleasure machine then Tim! :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O80ZyG5lS6A
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Is there a branch into a tap at the brewery in case they oversell?
Tim Williams

Post by Tim Williams »

What a great way to sightsee - very civilised, love to go on that tour! I really do not know a great deal about Brno other than the area has been settled for a very long time and I think Brno is the second largest city in the Czech Republic.

My anti-party bus stance comes from the time I was running operations, finance and admin for a large bus & coach company with travel agencies. – the fleet was just about all Denning’s and Volvos - the coaches were almost all 5 star luxury units, it was a top class operation. The ambitious Sales Manager gained a contract for the round the city, booze/party bus operation but using our almost new Volvo/Volgren Twin Decks, I was never happy with this, thinking that it did nothing for the company’s image, but I went along with it.

The operation’s staff, particularly cleaners, were not happy with the outcome of these charters – the coaches would arrive back in the depot, late Saturday/early Sunday, more often than not, in a mess, including vomit on the seats and carpets, especially in the lower deck lounge, which turned out to be the most popular place in the coach.

The cleaners would work hard top clean up the mess, with the most difficult part being the total elimination of the lingering smell of vomit. Despite their best efforts, this did not always happen and it seems that often those coaches would depart on long distance tour within a day of with slight traces of that wonderful aroma. Not at all good for the passengers (who quite reasonably complained) or the company’s image and reputation.

The future of this party night operation was decided after I received a late night phone call from a driver on Saturday, seeking directions from me. A young female passenger had got herself into a dreadful state and the tour operator had got her out of the coach (with assistance from the driver) and propped her up on the pavement (against a wall, I think), where she continued to vomit uncontrollably and then I believe she passed out. The tour operator wanted to leave her there (it was in the city centre) and continue on with the booze/party tour.

I instructed the driver to call for an ambulance and stay with the girl, until it arrived and ensure that her air passages were clear and that she was breathing ok. The ambulance arrived quickly, took her to hospital and we found out later that she had acute alcohol poisoning, her stomach was pumped and leaving her as requested by the tour operator might have had fatal consequences for this poor girl. We operated no more booze tours after this!

So, you wonder my I don’t like late night booze/party buses for young people………………

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”