Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Route number changes regional NSW

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://transportnsw.info/news/2018/bus ... gional-nsw
Bus route number and name changes in Regional NSW
Wednesday 20 June 2018

From Monday 2 July some bus route numbers and names across Rural and Regional NSW will be changing to provide more consistent and easier identification.

There will be no changes to bus routes or timetables. All current bus routes and timetables will remain the same.

School bus services will now show an “S” in front of the route number. This will ensure school buses are easily identified at a glance assisting students travelling to and from their schools.

The previous bus number will be displayed next to the new bus number for school buses for a period of time to assist with the transition.

Changes will apply to the following bus operators from Monday 2 July 2018:

Premier Charters – Illawarra Region
Premier Illawarra – Illawarra Region
Busabout Wagga – Wagga Wagga & Harden Regions
Nowra Coaches – Illawarra Region

Additional updating of bus route numbers and names is planned for the Qcity Transit network in Queanbeyan and Yass on Monday 3 September 2018.

Further information on the standardisation of bus route numbers and names of these nominated Bus Operators please contact the Southern Service Delivery Centre on 1800 049 961.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Riute number chngaes regional NSW

Post by Fleet Lists »

More on the Busabout Wagga website
https://busaboutwagga.com.au/news.html
School Route Number & Name Changes from Monday 2 July 2018

All new school route numbers and names will be effective from Monday 2nd July 2018.

The new numbers will ensure that school buses are easily identifiable. All new school bus numbers will start with a capital 'S' and be followed by a new 3 digit bus number, e.g. S100

You can access further information in the following ways:

View your school advice sheet below
Contact us directly on (02) 5942 6600
Ask for the Schedule of school route service changes from your school office.
Contact Transport for NSW directly on 131500.
Also see https://busaboutwagga.com.au/pdf/school ... hanges.pdf
Living in the Shire.
burrumbus

Re: Riute number chngaes regional NSW

Post by burrumbus »

This new numbering system for all government contracted school bus services will be progressively rolled out over the next year or so.
For my way of thinking a single or double digit run number is far easier for children to remember than a one letter/three digit number.
The same for the 4 digit school bus numbers in the metro contracts.
Free Lance
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O305, m/o 3021

Re: Route number chngaes regional NSW

Post by Free Lance »

Still think the best I have seen is the "Buslines Group" using an animal (numbered of course but one or two (where a change is required) a lot simpler for anybody to understand.
Campbelltown busboy

Re: Route number chngaes regional NSW

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Free Lance wrote:Still think the best I have seen is the "Buslines Group" using an animal (numbered of course but one or two (where a change is required) a lot simpler for anybody to understand.
I notice those Buslines Group numbered animal cards on the inside of the windscreen of all buses sent whenever Berrima Buslines supplies a number of their Bustech SBV and SBM bodied Volvos to help out with the emergency replacement bus services whenever there’s a issue that would be ether a bus replacing a service done by a faulty Endevour or something that ends up closing the Southern Highlands line witch sometimes leads to Picton Buslines having to suply a few of the SBV bodied Volvos and the same animal cards are in all the VST’s that Picton Buslines run on route 900
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Route number changes regional NSW

Post by Fleet Lists »

Premier Charters new list of school routes http://www.premiercharters.com.au/pdf/p ... etable.pdf
Premier Illawarra http://www.premiercharters.com.au/pdf/p ... etable.pdf
The new route numbers are available on Transport Info but with message that timetable is not available for each route.
Living in the Shire.
iamthouth

Post by iamthouth »

That Premier advice is very operational, it contains lots of info which should be driver notes and not in the public school advice for students and parents.
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

Is it just school routes that are changing?
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Just TFNSW contracted school bus routes which are being numbered.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

iamthouth wrote:That Premier advice is very operational, it contains lots of info which should be driver notes and not in the public school advice for students and parents.
These are the same as the working lists that the "secret service", Nowra Coaches, keeps under the front desk at South Nowra GHQ, but nothing on their website as usual. Except for the rail bus, their latest news is from 2013!

These new route numbers are something that could only be dreamt up by closeted public servants in an office somewhere in Sydney. How on earth do they expect schoolkids as young as 5 or 6 to remember those mouthfulls?! Presently they only have to wrap their brains around something simple like "the number 5 bus". Imagine a 7 year old rushing home and saying "mum mum, now I've got to catch the S354 and changing to the S073!" Perhaps they're setting out to breed a new generation of transport bureaucrats.

Here's a clue then:

burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Agreed Tony.
I think the use of simple one or two digit run numbers are far more user friendly than these numbers.
gld59

Post by gld59 »

I can see the need to have unique numbers on a centralised state system, for parents moving into an area if nothing else, but shorter numbers for the benefit of the day-to-day users (ie young kids) would be useful. Perhaps something like (geographic) phone numbers would work, with an equivalent to the area code which wouldn't be displayed on the desto. Designing a web site backend which could both handle that and give useful prompts to users might be "interesting", but I'm sure it would be possible.

gld
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I can just see the confusion, particularly among younger kids, when the duty teacher starts calling out the long numbers for arriving buses after school on the megaphone. I think Premier was onto this with mention of keeping the present numbers displayed on cards in the windscreen (initially, but maybe permanently!). Just when the companies have finally got around to having electronic displays in the main desto!

I can understand the need for this state-wide consistency, but legibility for all users is also very important in public transport.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Standardising numbers at least beats what I remember when going to school, where the only way to differentiate some of the (STA) school buses was by the run number, which is exactly what the teacher on duty would call out.

The example I remember (out from Lewisham) were there being 2 route 612 buses, but one would travel via Livingstone Road/present day route 412 and terminate at Earlwood, whereas the other route 612 would travel via Wardell Road directly and go through to Kingsgrove.
At the time, the Kingsgrove one was operated by Kingsgrove depot, and the one via Livingstone Road operated by Tempe depot.

Of course everybody would get confused when the run numbers changed after a school holiday...
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Further to what I posted in http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... s#p1028825 both Premier Illawarra and Premier Charters are having new timetables uploaded for all services on both 1/7/2018 and 9/7/2018. The first to cover the changed school bus route numbers for both operators and the changes to 55A and 55C and on 9/7 for the start of the school holidays when all timetables for all Metropolitan and Outer Metropolitan operators are refreshed. So far I have not found any Busabout Wagga school route timetables.
Living in the Shire.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

pgt wrote: ..........The example I remember (out from Lewisham) were there being 2 route 612 buses, .......
Greetings from another old Lewisham boy. I'm from the era when green deckers were still doing some of the school runs from Denison Rd, but walked to school, so don't recall the systems that operated then.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”