Is the end of Metrobus in sight?

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Is the end of Metrobus in sight?

Post by boronia »

I couldn't find any mention of "Metrobus" on TfNSW website, so I guess the brand is dieing.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Ray

Re: STA Observations - January to June 2018

Post by Ray »

Probably because introduced under the previous Labor government?

The first indication was when they redistributed the routes away from Tempe.

Second indication was the failure to extend the concept when new cross-city routes such as the 440 were introduced.

Third indication was introduction of the B-line without any Metrobus branding.

Not the first time a concept has been introduced and then left an orphan. Remember Metroline 400, Metroline 200 and Citylink L94....
Go Cats.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

boronia wrote:I couldn't find any mention of "Metrobus" on TfNSW website, so I guess the brand is dieing.
Not just an STA issue - also applies to Hillsbus and Transdev timetables. The M prefix seems to be the only thing left.

Edited 10/5 - Hence subsequently split from STA observations as comment went well beyond that area,
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The event news item for next Sunday https://transportnsw.info/events/2018/0 ... -walk-2018 still refers to Metrobus.
Living in the Shire.

Post by 743 »

The transportnsw.info maps for the STA Metrobus routes still show the Metrobus logo in the corner, e.g. https://transportnsw.info/documents/tim ... 180506.pdf
swtt

Post by swtt »

M10 is 10 years old this year - 12/10/2018 as well, for those who aren't old enough to remember! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrobus_ ... a_Junction
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

swtt wrote:M10 is 10 years old this year - 12/10/2018 as well, for those who aren't old enough to remember! :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metrobus_ ... a_Junction
I remember seeing Nathan Rees and David Campbell in a story on the 6pm 9 news on the day the M10 trial was first announced
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Fleet Lists wrote:
boronia wrote:I couldn't find any mention of "Metrobus" on TfNSW website, so I guess the brand is dieing.
Not just an STA issue - also applies to Hillsbus and Transdev timetables. The M prefix seems to be the only thing left.
Other than the routes being particularly long there isn't anything special about them.

They aren't limited stops.
They aren't all door boarding.
They don't get special busways.
They don't have any special priority.
The only thing really different from a regular route bus is they don't have a timetable as such but headway frequency.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

While we have politics as toxic as a nuclear waste dump, nothing stays consistent. Consistency is what this city needs, except consistent mediocrity and consistently fickle policy.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Nugget wrote: The only thing really different from a regular route bus is they don't have a timetable as such but headway frequency.
And even that is not true - there is a timetable for each Metrobus route on Transport Info and Hillsbus and Transdev have had printed timetables for their Metrobus routes.
Living in the Shire.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Fleet Lists wrote:
Nugget wrote: The only thing really different from a regular route bus is they don't have a timetable as such but headway frequency.
And even that is not true - there is a timetable for each Metrobus route on Transport Info and Hillsbus and Transdev have had printed timetables for their Metrobus routes.
Once its operating frequency fell to 30 min during the early hours or later hours of the day it was inevitable that printed timetables with specific times were mentioned.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Also, the original Metrobus model was a fully pre-pay service.
@ The Museum of Fire.
swtt

Post by swtt »

boronia wrote:Also, the original Metrobus model was a fully pre-pay service.
Thankfully 10 years on, it is now virtually, fully pre-pay.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

That’s one thing this government is doing right is now slowly taking the step to abolish cash on the bus completely. It’s true on a Metrobus if someone tries to buy a ticket they just get waved on and that sucks to be fair but at least it’s quicker than all the counting small change on both ends
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Not all STA Metrobus routes are prepay and none of Hillsbus and Trandev at this point in time.
Living in the Shire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Automated announcements and internal electronic indicators for upcoming stops and localities never got implemented. Metrobus was 1/4 baked at best.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

While is hasn't been read the last rights, Metrobus is certainly on the way out. The use of dedicated buses on Metrobus routes has become less and less with each timetable change. Has been some years since any buses were vinyled / revinyled in the red livery. I guess the final confirmation will be when the red (or in some cases almost pink) buses start to get reliveried in TfNSW livery which can't be too far way, some certainly are very faded.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Swift wrote:Automated announcements and internal electronic indicators for upcoming stops and localities never got implemented. Metrobus was 1/4 baked at best.
It still works on M41.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Linto63 wrote:While is hasn't been read the last rights, Metrobus is certainly on the way out. The use of dedicated buses on Metrobus routes has become less and less with each timetable change. Has been some years since any buses were vinyled / revinyled in the red livery. I guess the final confirmation will be when the red (or in some cases almost pink) buses start to get reliveried in TfNSW livery which can't be too far way, some certainly are very faded.
This has already been the case with Transdev when new D/D's were acquired last year especially for M92 in TNSW livery.
Living in the Shire.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Re: Is the end of Metrobus in sight?

Post by Daniel »

Two Metrobus units 9625 and 5071 have recently been repainted - but into TNSW livery.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

743 wrote:The transportnsw.info maps for the STA Metrobus routes still show the Metrobus logo in the corner, e.g. https://transportnsw.info/documents/tim ... 180506.pdf
Again STA only. The Hillsbus ones do not have them - admittedly the maps also show non Metrobus routes. Transdev does not have maps in the Tranport info pdf timetables. But their latest pdf timetables with maps dated November 2017 make no mention anywhere of Metrobus - based on their M90 timetable http://www.transdevnsw.com.au/uploads/t ... nt/M90.pdf
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Fleet Lists wrote:Not all STA Metrobus routes are prepay and none of Hillsbus and Trandev at this point in time.
The "original model" was the 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, and these were prepay only. The others were variations from this modelling, presumably to cash in on the "success" of the brand.

The 343, 440, and 389 could be considered an emulation of the original model too
@ The Museum of Fire.
iamthouth

Post by iamthouth »

Bambul suggested the M designation and Metrobus might come to an end due to the Metro next year.

https://transportsydney.wordpress.com/2 ... us-future/

It's possible, with a conversion of Metrobus into B-lines, or more likely just normal route numbers. I think it would water down the concept of B-line if they just converted it to a B-prefix, and I can't see RMS being ready to support it and get the work done in time to B-line standard, even if sections of TfNSW wanted to do it that way.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

boronia wrote:
The 343, 440, and 389 could be considered an emulation of the original model too
Yes they already started to water the name down then. 418 is possibly another one.
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I didn't include the 418 because it doesn't go into the CBD. I'd put in the same is in the same class as the 400/410.

But I could add the 200, this predates Metrobus.

The 352/355 are cross regional as well, in the same class as the 370.

So better off without these silly names.
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”