TfNSW disclosure log

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
tonyp

TfNSW disclosure log

Post by tonyp »

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/about- ... losure-log

There is a lot of interesting information here in confidential documents that have been disclosed in response to requests. I was using it to chase a report on the future of the south coast rail (which you can see in the list), but there is a lot of other stuff not only on trains but buses, trams and ferries too.
mandonov

Re: TfNSW disclosure log

Post by mandonov »

Tony, I assume you've read the report on the south coast corridor, what are your thoughts?

I overall thought it was a great idea, and completely doable. Being a document from a few years ago the assumptions regarding the Rapid Transit can now be discounted, but the freight issue still remains. Like the report, I also preferred the red route for the Thirroul tunnel because it looks cheaper (darn you redactions) and also manages to serve Helensburgh. I thought it was smart of them to also focus on serving those south of Wollongong by extending duplication, and removing the Kembla branch to boost services to where the actual population is. Though it would suck for those between Helensburgh and Coledale to not have a direct service, such little patronage could be served by a diesel shuttle between Thirroul and H'burg.

With the state looking for Fed funding for CCN improvements, locals should try and lobby for the Snowy's money to be spent on this. Though I did find it interesting that the report found the Thirroul Tunnel to be of lesser per passenger value than a Hornsby to Woy Woy improvement.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

mandonov wrote:Tony, I assume you've read the report on the south coast corridor, what are your thoughts?
I haven't had a chance to read it in detail but the inputs and outcomes are pretty predictable, sort of Captain Obvious by now. I'm very pleased to see them doing a map that shows generally the coal workings, giving an indication of the difficulty of building a bypass. I have an old hard copy plan of the Coalciff workings that I picked up doing a job down there and it's hard to convince people of the extent of the problem. Now at least it's shown in this report.

It confirms yet again that the annual patronage of the Gong Shuttle is not much short of the patronage of the entire South Coast rail service!

I'll have a closer read over the weekend.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Having read it, I agree with your observations mandonov. It covers all the obvious issues quite well, though I do think that (typically) it under-estimates the urban growth and patronage gains from the south coast that would result from such a speeding-up of the service. I think it would have an electrifying effect on real estate demand and development from people who are being pushed out of Sydney. At present, however, on the basis of the understated demand, it obviously takes second place to the northern line improvement and this is why the feds have gone for the latter.

However, it certainly belies Constance's claim that improvement on the south coast is impossible. This document has been past cabinet so he would have seen it. We've certainly struck the bifecta with Constance - a transport minister who hates public transport and a local member who hates the region he partly represents. Surely it's well-time to attend to the cows back there in the Bega Valley?

Replacing the Port Kembla and Thirroul to Helensburg sections with buses is a pretty obvious one, but I love the calculation of buses needed based on a capacity of 58 per bus (43 seats, 15 standing). Hey the RTBU isn't on the south coast TfNSW, you can come out from hiding behind that rock! Poor old NSW buses - ever the ball and chain in the transport mix. Much of the Port Kembla line would actually be a suitable ROW for a light rail project from Wollongong to Shellharbour district in the future, if it comes to that. That would be an excellent adjunct to a faster mainline rail service.

I do feel that, taking into account freight as well, quadding needs to be extended to Sutherland and the Maldon-Dombarton railway needs to be built.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Found this map of the South Coast Upgrades on the Infrastructure NSW Building Momentum report while going through it today.
Attachments
Illawarra Rail.JPG
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

I can't wait for the election to be over so that all of these upgrades are actually spelled out and (somewhat) explained.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

After the election you probably will never hear of them again.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”