Private Observations - January 2018 to June 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
tonyp

Re: Private Observations - January 2018 to June 2018

Post by tonyp »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: Yeahhh doesn't illustrate too well, but you can see the high floor back section of the bus was also full with standees.
Thanks for clarifying the Great Northern Hotel.

It does look in the photo like there's only a couple of people on the high-floor but a crowd on the low-floor, a pattern I see all the time everywhere in NSW. If there are people left behind at stops, it indicates that the bus doesn't fill but is apparently regarded by the driver as full.

If people are left behind at stops there's a problem with the way you're running your transit system that needs to be rectified.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Still successfully suppressing demand.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

There would be Alot of examples on bus routes in the northern beaches where customers are too lazy to move down a bus and the driver will then start skipping stops
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Stonesourscotty wrote:There would be Alot of examples on bus routes in the northern beaches where customers are too lazy to move down a bus and the driver will then start skipping stops
It's a universal problem in front-entry buses, not just on the northern beaches. Having stairs halfway down the aisle is a further discouragement to moving down, as well as the position of the second door. People aren't lazy, they actually don't like being too far from doors in case they get trapped inside by the crowd when trying to get out. Drivers typically have to give up trying to move them down in order to get away from the stop and keep to the timetable. So in the end the buses don't maximise their capacity. Buses not filled to capacity + people left behind at stops doesn't represent a good transit operation that encourages people to use it, nor an economical one.

My recollection up to the 1970s when buses (both private and government) still had the second door to the rear of the rear axle was that this problem didn't exist because there was no "cave" at the back of the bus that people could get trapped in. That was a problem that emerged when the back door was moved to the centre of the bus. My photo of the R1 tram in my post above shows that this issue was well-understood even many decades ago. The vehicle can load and unload evenly along its length and there are no "caves" for people to be blocked in. European bus design still acknowledges this issue, with an additional door to the rear of the rear axle (per my avatar).
stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

So how, pray tell, does the 'machine' that punches out batches of number plates get something as basic as this wrong ??
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Some person has input the wrong information. Probably did not know the difference between the two types of plate.
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

This item is about all buses and coaches in NSW but there isn't such a general thread, so I'm putting it under private as the predominant category:

https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-new ... tep-closer
3-AXLE BUS WEIGHT LIMIT UNIFORMITY A STEP CLOSER
Date: 07.03.2018

A NEW INCREASED WEIGHT LIMIT for all NSW 3-axle buses and coaches means the push for national uniform adoption is closer to being achieved, according to industry experts at a NSW Government media announcement today.

Minister for Roads, Maritime and Freight Melinda Pavey says raising the gross mass limit for 3-axle buses from 20.5 tonnes to 22 tonnes would help bus operators improve efficiency, while others have welcomed the increased safety aspects for passengers and drivers alike.

"Today’s coaches carry a lot of extra equipment – from wheelchair lifts to entertainment and toilet facilities – which all add considerable weight to the vehicles," the Minister says.

"NSW Bus operators will now be able to apply for a permit for the increased 22-tonne mass limit to operate on our roads."

The latest ruling follows intense lobbying from BusNSW to invoke such a change, and a NSW Government Review that found 3-axle buses operating at 22 tonnes cause less road wear than 2-axle buses operating a maximum legal weight of 18 tonnes.

Parliamentary Secretary for the Illawarra and South Coast Gareth Ward says: "Buses operating at the new 22-tonne mass limit will also be safer as they will need to have anti-lock braking and electronic braking systems installed, as well as electronic stability control to qualify for a permit."

"The 3-axle bus mass limits are also being reviewed by the National Transport Commission to work towards a consistent national approach," he explains.

BusNSW executive director Matt Threlkeld expresses relief at the decision and labels it a common-sense approach, stating the new limits would particularly benefit long-distance express coaches.

"Coaches are always picking up new passengers and luggage along their routes. The increased weight limits will give drivers the confidence to use the vehicle’s full seating capacity, meet safety standards and comply with the law," Threlkeld says.

"More robust suspension and braking systems, fire suppression systems, heavy-duty seats with seatbelts, complex engine designs to reduce emissions and the provision of wheelchair lifts have all added to the overall weight of modern-day buses and coaches."

"We commend Minister Pavey for recognising that an increase to the 3-axle mass limit provides safety benefits for passengers and the public as well as productivity benefits for bus and coach operators."

BusNSW president John King says the announcement by Minister Pavey is a win for all and will allow operators to use vehicles with the latest engineering and safety technology.

"Three-axle buses and coaches operate thousands of journeys every year and make a significant contribution to the visitor economy by transporting students, seniors and tourists around NSW," King says.

"The increased weight limits will now give operators the confidence to use a vehicle’s full authorised seating capacity in the knowledge that they are meeting safety standards and complying with the law.

"We hope this initiative from the NSW Government will give the National Transport Commission some incentive to expedite work on a national approach that provides consistent 3-axle mass limits across borders.

"We look forward to seeing the detail relating to eligibility for the higher mass limit in NSW," King says.
I assume this also covers artics, not just buses with twin axles, and, if so, I wonder whether it will enable an increase in standing capacity so that total capacity can rise above 110?

Edit:
No particular coach services of course that might involve the appearance of the Parliamentary Sec for the South Coast at the forefront of this news!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZTFY92 ... rroD8/view
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

I think Diggers Shuttle service (Thornton) may now have a Macropolo Audace. It's currently still white and doesn't have the Digger Shuttle service decals on it. I don't remember the full rego but believe it's on TV plates and it's TV70xx or TV 71xx (XX representing the missing digits I can't remember) If it isn't 70 or 71 it's definitely something else in the 70 range.

I saw it roaming around Maitland the other day
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Daniel wrote:
The O405 actually appears to be in the RMS system as 5094 MO but is definitely wearing m/o 5094 plates. So something has definitely gone wrong in RMS land... wouldn’t be the first time.
Photo attached
https://www.flickr.com/photos/193972346 ... 076349893/
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Issuing of plates is now handled by Service NSW, with people who have no real idea about registrations doing the transactions.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Stonesourscotty

Just saw a brand new or freshly painted bustech decker in Parra. Never seen one so immaculate has a new one arrived or is it a repaint?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Aren't they still being delivered to TSA?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I believe all the TSA ones were delivered by the end of December.
Living in the Shire.
Stonesourscotty

Guessing it might a Drivers side repaint as it was pristine with no adverts or anything looked like it was fresh out of the painters booth
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Sighted today in Caringbah was TV 9059 which appears to be
Operator
Roscoe & Coach - Wonglepong
Registration
811 TYD
Chassis Type
Metrotec Delta 16.210
Chassis No
6F2BACR00XDF00376
Body Manufacturer
ABM "Starliner"
Body No
Body Date
07/1999
Seating Codes
C57F
Notes
ex 236 MUB, Weipa Caravan Park, Weipa, QLD, -/14, ex (15) 3368 AO, Berwick Bus Lines, Officer, VIC, -/10.
The last four digit of VIB agree and on the rear the name Roscoe can still be seen through the paint in what looked like a website name but I have not been able to find.
Current accreditation is for Sydney's Amazing Tours, Homebush,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/193972346 ... 613876219/
Living in the Shire.
LB608

Post by LB608 »

In the disposal list for Premier Illawarra is this m/o6291T, is this true or a typo error?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

In the State Transit disposal list shows as

SCRAPPED
ex m/o 6291 Premier Illawarra[11/01-M06], Figtree N.S.W.
So I suspect it is a typing error in the Premier Illawarra list
Living in the Shire.
BAMBAM

Post by BAMBAM »

Noticed in the back of Punchbowl Bus Company Depot most likely Scania CNG Volgren, one of those buses that are being withdrawn from Brisbane city council fleet, still in their present colour.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

BAMBAM wrote:Noticed in the back of Punchbowl Bus Company Depot most likely Scania CNG Volgren, one of those buses that are being withdrawn from Brisbane city council fleet, still in their present colour.
They might convert it from gas to diesel or they bought it to strip down for parts
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

BAMBAM wrote:Noticed in the back of Punchbowl Bus Company Depot most likely Scania CNG Volgren, one of those buses that are being withdrawn from Brisbane city council fleet, still in their present colour.
It is the unit which has been in storage at Marulan for some time.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

This mornings 180 bus from Stockland Greenhills at 9:10 had a bus from the Thornton HVB Depot (Mercedes-Benz 0405NH CC550 3581 MO) but was being driven by a Driver from the Singleton HVB Depot. Never seen either happen before and when I've caught the 180 from Stockland Greenhills at 9:10 am it's always been a bus from the Singleton yard and operated by a Singleton Driver. Wonder if 3581 has been transferred again or is on loan to the Singleton Depot.

Edit: Just read the CDC Fleetlist and 3581 MO must be on loan to Singleton because the fleetlist states 7788 MO caught fire yesterday while operating the 180x route in Singleton. Damn I really liked that Merc and it's one of the few they have with no rear door and comfortable seats compared to the rest of the 0405NH's.
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

This morning I went past Windsor Castle hotel in East Maitland and Came across a White Denning Silver Phoenix registration 597 MUG. It's on Queensland plates and there isn't any accreditation on the side of the bus saying who it belongs too. I would've gotten a photo but I was on another bus at the time and was unable to hop off.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Good afternoon ScaniaGrenda.
Queensland accreditation numbers are displayed on the rear on the buses,usually on the left hand side.They are prefixed with Q then either a 6 digit number(original numbers)or a 7 digit number(newer numbers).E.g. Q 100510.There is no requirement to display the proprietors name-only the accreditation number..
Hope this helps.
ScaniaGrenda

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

burrumbus wrote:Good afternoon ScaniaGrenda.
Queensland accreditation numbers are displayed on the rear on the buses,usually on the left hand side.They are prefixed with Q then either a 6 digit number(original numbers)or a 7 digit number(newer numbers).E.g. Q 100510.There is no requirement to display the proprietors name-only the accreditation number..
Hope this helps.
Back looked blank besides a badge saying it was a Denning. If I could've gotten off I would of taken photos of the bus. Wonder if in this case it's a new bus?

If it has also definitely come from Queensland then it's a long way from home
Stu

Post by Stu »

https://transportnsw.info/news/2018/sta ... e#homepage

Bright pink on the front of these buses.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”