STA Observations - January to June 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Jurassic_Joke

Re: STA Observations - January to June 2018

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

I see in total 31 Volvo B8 Volgren Optimus, ranging from 2921-2952 - thats a huge win for the people of Port Botany and Ryde. It's a fantastic bus. In fact I like it that much, if the Liberals pledged to order another 100 of them, I'd vote Liberal next March. Well maybe going a bit far, but you get the gist. The Scania counterparts at Kingsgrove aren't "bad" in any noticeable form either, it barely rattles, but the Volvo B8 wins for its butter smooth running and engine sound.

Meanwhile, haven't seen a bendy on the 422 for quite a long time. Suppose demand has gone up since the route change? If not, not like Missenden Road needs any more congestion /clogging
IMG_1843.jpg
IMG_1843.jpg (96.26 KiB) Viewed 4951 times
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

Swift wrote:It seems amateurish to deliver them under their own steam for such a long distance. They should be taken by low loader as part of the package. They are paying through the nose already for these brand new devices, the least they should expect is near zero on the odometer for crying out loud.
Now bracing myself to be shot down for this comment. :roll:
Plus they are also shuttled around for various things such as wheel alignments, pre-delivery inspections and the like under their own steam. Once checked over at Chullora these often head back south to Volgren’s Ingleburn facility for correction of minor issues before coming back up north for handover.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Daniel wrote:
Swift wrote:It seems amateurish to deliver them under their own steam for such a long distance. They should be taken by low loader as part of the package. They are paying through the nose already for these brand new devices, the least they should expect is near zero on the odometer for crying out loud.
Now bracing myself to be shot down for this comment. :roll:
Plus they are also shuttled around for various things such as wheel alignments, pre-delivery inspections and the like under their own steam. Once checked over at Chullora these often head back south to Volgren’s Ingleburn facility for correction of minor issues before coming back up north for handover.
Plus cleaning the insect splats off the front of the bus after the delivery journey.

The things you understand living in the country 8)
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

All good - just pull off the blue plastic wrap protecting the entire front below the windscreen!
joshurandazzo
Favourite Vehicle: m/o 1287 - merc O405NH

Post by joshurandazzo »

Got this new Volvo B8RLE on the 546 a couple of days ago. The new Volvo's actually sound quite good with a nice loud diff and is seems to be better at hill climbing then the B12's
Here is my recording of this bus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npL77PQHkqA
IMG_0610_opt.jpg
IMG_0610_opt.jpg (33 KiB) Viewed 4812 times
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

^ Yup, they're eerily quiet and smooth, but they sound significantly better than the predecessor product, especially if the exhaust brake is present and connected!
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

Do all the Elizabeth Street routes have a Martin Place desto? I've bee noticing a few St James and Circular Quay destos on buses during Vivid and was wondering why they don't just show Martin Place
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

There's no inbound stop at St James anymore, unless the hook around Market into Castlereagh
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

joshurandazzo wrote:Got this new Volvo B8RLE on the 546 a couple of days ago. The new Volvo's actually sound quite good with a nice loud diff and is seems to be better at hill climbing then the B12's
Here is my recording of this bus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npL77PQHkqA
IMG_0610_opt.jpg
I'd strongly recommend to submit (positive) feedback if you like the bus. It could make a difference and the more, the merrier! 30 at this moment is decent, it's already more than last year's B7 CB80 order. And heaps more than Randwick's elusive 7.

I submitted feedback strongly praising the comfortable seating, aircon, large windows, soft lighting, smooth running and I didn't get a written response but rather instead a pleasant woman from STA Customer Relations instead decided to call me directly on the phone to have a chat. Thanking me and saying they really value feedback like that. And have a wonderful day!

I also see the Scania K310UB CB80 deliveries are resuming, great to see.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I went in quite a few buses in the East today. I scored a very mundane assortment of 0405NHs, 0500LEs and a Bustech VST Scania or two with their usual insipid agricultural engine sound up back. The highlight was my final trip, a short one, on a Metrobus Volvo B12BLEA doing a 396 to Maroubra Beach from the junction during the evening. Being conditioned to expecting a VST-NH-LE, especially on a Sunday, this was a much appreciated change. I had a lot of shopping, so sat opposite the centre doors in the front section, instead of the usual choice of the back few seats to catch the engine sounds. I enjoyed how different it felt riding there, and being able to see the flat floor take up such a large majority of the saloon. I also appreciated the romantic lighting, particularly when compared to the usual binary star system in the VST!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: I submitted feedback strongly praising the comfortable seating, aircon, large windows, soft lighting, smooth running ...
Can anybody submitting feedback please also mention how you appreciate the stepless, low-floor centre doors and the easier steps up to the high floor in the Volgrens, compared to the Bustechs and Customs? Ta!

If you want to add that it would be even better if the aisle was stepless to the back of the bus, that would be a bonus thanks. :)

Then you'll also have the benefit of having the pleasant lady deluge you with 10,000 words, without pause, explaining why these things can't be done.
Swift wrote: Metrobus Volvo B12BLEA doing a 396 to Maroubra Beach from the junction during the evening. Being conditioned to expecting a VST-NH-LE, especially on a Sunday, this was a much appreciated change. I had a lot of shopping, so sat opposite the centre doors in the front section, instead of the usual choice of the back few seats to catch the engine sounds.
Was this a Volgren or Custom?

Note to bus enthusiasts in general: the trend nowadays is actually to eliminate any noise from buses as much as possible! If you can't hear the engine, it's actually a good thing. :wink: :lol:
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote:Note to bus enthusiasts in general: the trend nowadays is actually to eliminate any noise from buses as much as possible! If you can't hear the engine, it's actually a good thing. :wink: :lol:
Come on Tony, put your EPA noise meter down and let the boy have his fun. :) One day we will have a fleet full of soulless Asian electric buses that just whir. Fortunately I don't think I'll be around long enough to see it.
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ As well as driverless buses eliminating face-to-face interaction between driver and customer thus propagating the zombie like behaviour of much of the public services these days and not to mention eliminating the drivers who a such characters behind the wheel.
sydguy37

Post by sydguy37 »

Saw a red metrobus bendy (didn’t get number) on a 478 coming out of Kogarah tonight about 2130. Is that unusual - never seen one on it before
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

sydguy37 wrote:Saw a red metrobus bendy (didn’t get number) on a 478 coming out of Kogarah tonight about 2130. Is that unusual - never seen one on it before
Yes. Typically occurs in the late evenings when trips are added as overtime following completion of metrobus services.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

An interesting read

https://www.reddit.com/r/sydney/comment ... h=0c1b2fab
On Friday morning, I was waiting for the M41 and the bus arrived but the driver was so rude and abrupt. He was like no one else can get on even though there was some space at the front... from this a woman didn’t listen to the driver so the driver stopped the bus and engine and wouldn’t leave until the woman got off. Another woman got off for the sake of the driver and the bus left.
After all this, I waited for another bus but it went pass without stopping due to being full. A woman I was waiting with was fed up so she got an Uber with her daughter so she wouldn’t be late for work. Thankfully she asked who else needs to go to Burwood so myself, the woman who got off the bus and the mother and daughter were in the Uber.
At the end of all this drama, I got to work on time but lesson learnt: the M41 isn’t reliable...
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

That reminds me of letters in the press following the closure of the North Sydney tram system in 1958. Just substitute "taxi" for "uber" back then. Except in 1958 the buses were probably genuinely full, there just weren't anywhere near enough of them to replace the trams. I bet the buses in the current episode weren't actually full. No wonder people drive.

Edit: reading those other comments following on Redditt, it sounds like the RTBU has planted a few mouthpieces on Redditt!
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

^ Drivers sometimes do that on school 610 as well. They tell people to stop getting on even though people are still moving down to the back and filling the seats at the back.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Maybe they’re more concerned about on-time running & just moving buses along. Though with 610 school runs I guess it’s driver wanting to return back to depot quickly in the morning peak.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Frosty wrote:Maybe they’re more concerned about on-time running & just moving buses along.
Well there is a solution to that which we're all aware of by now - and which at the same time preserves on-time running.

It adds up to a never-ending cycle of poor productivity. Buses not filled to capacity, long stop dwells regardless, often more buses per hour moving less people per hour along a corridor. But they don't really have productivity KPIs, just on-time running at all costs
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Right on the money here Tony.The KPI for on time running seems to be all consuming amongst the contract holders -in a lot of instances to the detriment of quality customer service.Reason-because of a fine regime.And therefore the prospect of lower revenue on already low margin contracts.
The cycle of poor productivity,alas,has inflicted the STA for decades.You can add poor vehicle allocation and driver rostering,excessive dead running,excessive specialling,excessive layovers.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

burrumbus wrote:Right on the money here Tony.The KPI for on time running seems to be all consuming amongst the contract holders -in a lot of instances to the detriment of quality customer service.Reason-because of a fine regime.And therefore the prospect of lower revenue on already low margin contracts.
The cycle of poor productivity,alas,has inflicted the STA for decades.You can add poor vehicle allocation and driver rostering,excessive dead running,excessive specialling,excessive layovers.
Though on some routes STA doesn't give enough layover times on the 370 there's only at most 10 mins at each end but in general it is excessive like 20mins at 5am on a Saturday morning, I remember on the Gold Coast with Surfside Buslines some trips had only 3-6 min layovers. Port Botany is probably the worst depot for vehicle allocation.
Richard290
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B8RLE Volgren Optimus

Post by Richard290 »

Caught Y's 3469 on the 15:00 Epping to Parramatta 546 service today, noticed it was such a rare assignment to see a Scania L113CRB on Route 546, as opposed to newer accessible models.
Living at the north end of the 513 & 535. and the confluence of 513, 535, 546, 549, 550, 553, 625 & 630.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

tonyp wrote:
Edit: reading those other comments following on Redditt, it sounds like the RTBU has planted a few mouthpieces on Redditt!
Yep, that site is lefty-ville. People made a few posts asking why do STA drivers not police people not tapping on and you can just see the union thugs lash them into oblivion

Also, back in January before the rail strike was called off, train drivers made throwaway accounts secured with VPN having a whinge, explaining the real reason why all those trains were cancelled, lashing their employer while they're at it (you know, the kind of things if you actually got caught saying, you get the sack)
Richard290 wrote:Caught Y's 3469 on the 15:00 Epping to Parramatta 546 service today, noticed it was such a rare assignment to see a Scania L113CRB on Route 546, as opposed to newer accessible models.
You should read the timetable and see which runs are or aren't accessible. Just because a certain run is scheduled as not wheelchair accessible doesn't mean its a guarantee you'll get an unaccessible bus, but instead think of it rather as, a possibility.

Peakhour Route 200 is a good example eg, theres a handful of non-accessible trips but about half of them are seemingly always run by a Mercedes 0405NH/0500LE. I quite like the Scania L113CRB (which can possibly show up on route 200), I think its the only bus left in the fleet that has conventional heaters down by your feet. Very cosy at the moment in winter!
stajourneyman

Post by stajourneyman »

Maybe my eyes deceived me last night when I was sure I saw 2785 doing a 525/526/X26 to Strathfield in the peak last night.

I'm sure that this was the fleet number, it was a Bustech body, and it sounded like a Scania.

I was passing it in traffic going the opposite way under the Homebush railway bridge.

If so, this would make it a Botany Scania K310UB with a Bustech body.

If not, it was a Bustech Scania of some sort.

If not, which depot would've been supplying such a unit, other than, perhaps, Leichhardt.

This unit is the first of the 310hp units, so are they maybe moving them elsewhere?

Any clues?

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”