STA Observations - January to June 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Jurassic_Joke

STA Observations - January to June 2018

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Some interesting rostering for NYE.

380 overnight was/is running exactly the way I wish it always was - a mix of Merc 0405NH Gassies, Volvo CB60evo2 and some baby / full sized Bustechs. So they CAN run some proper sized buses on this increasingly busy route during the early hours but only if they feel like it. Hmpf.

Port Botany’s new Scania CB80 2886 I finally got to see, spotted on route 333

Otherwise, around Railway Square outbound, at around midnight the level of variety was extremely pleasing.
Jurassic_Joke

Re: STA Observations - January 2018

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

I saw 2886 making a return trip to the City as 380 (adding another bus to the variety :D ) so decided to catch it towards my trip home, knowing I probably won't see this bus on 380 for quite a while.
IMG_0221.jpg
IMG_0221.jpg (91.39 KiB) Viewed 19737 times
IMG_0222.jpg
IMG_0222.jpg (74.79 KiB) Viewed 19737 times
I think it's a really great bus. It carries over everything nice about the Volvo B7 counterpart from early 2017. Obviously it’s taste but I also prefer the engine sound too. I hope they very quickly proceed with just getting on with having the other buses of this series delivered. :D
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Does anybody know what (if any) orders for new vehicles are still to be fulfilled?
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:
I think it's a really great bus. It carries over everything nice about the Volvo B7 counterpart from early 2017. Obviously it’s taste but I also prefer the engine sound too. I hope they very quickly proceed with just getting on with having the other buses of this series delivered. :D
It will be exciting seeing these appear on Fort Lobotomy routes! I'm Busteched out!
It's gotten to the point where I feel warm and fuzzy when an 0405NH turns the corner/bend to pick me up. Something unthinkable before. Next, I'll feel that way with the currently insipid (in my mind) 0500LEs.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Metrobus 2072ST on a 377 inbound last night.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Swift wrote:
It will be exciting seeing these appear on Fort Lobotomy routes! I'm Busteched out!
It's gotten to the point where I feel warm and fuzzy when an 0405NH turns the corner/bend to pick me up. Something unthinkable before. Next, I'll feel that way with the currently insipid (in my mind) 0500LEs.
Swift, I really hope so too, especially at night when Bustechs basically reign over everything thats still running from Port Botany late at night.

But I'd also like to use this post to bring to everyones attention that I've recently discovered the newest 2016-series Bustechs, with fleet numbers ending at 2824, half of them operate out of Port Botany, they're actually significantly WORSE than the older Bustechs. Whichever idiot codes the lighting, its seemingly fixed and the (poor) drivers cant do anything about it even if if they find it too bright.

No bus from the new series has the front half dimmed, entire bus is drowned in that horribly dazzling mini-sun. And on another point, the second half of the bus, every single light panel is turned on, whereas on the older models, its perhaps half of them. That's really overkill and its always the same, never different. It's like, if im gunna get a Bustech, I actually want an older one now because its a little bit easier on my eyes.

I did change my mind on 0405NH and 0500LE, I used to prefer the latter, now I guess not really anymore. I realised how cramped the seating and legroom is compared to 0405NH, and while we're comparing, the windows are pitifully small. But at least they aren't tinted so you cant see anything at night :) 0405NH remains one of my favourites in the fleet meanwhile!
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: No bus from the new series has the front half dimmed, entire bus is drowned in that horribly dazzling mini-sun. !
Are you a driver? That seems like a safety issue, something that should be taken up with the union maybe?
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

I’m not a driver, but I’ve also been travelling on the relevant buses long enough to be confident to say for certain that drivers can’t actually alter the lighting settings in the newer Bustech buses.

If someone here wants to come out and say if I’m right or wrong, go right ahead, but I don’t think it’s a coincidence there’s about a 50% chance I can catch any Bustech VST from 2012-2014 or any of Waverleys VSTm’s and the front half of the bus is dark, but all of the newest 2016 buses (fleet numbers 278_-2824 roughly, operates out of Port Botany and Leichardt) it’s the exact same lighting settings every single time. Front half of the bus is always bright, second half always has every light switched on. It’s not a coincidence. On the newer Volvo B7 CB80’s from 2017 I notice varying lighting settings so drivers can change it clearly, but funnily for the Bustechs it appears fixed.

I feel sorry for any driver from Y or L that has night shifts and are forced to use them.

Safety first, Nanny State Transit. Bustechs from other operators (eg Transdev) got it right. In fact, I actually don’t see anything to dislike about Bustechs from other operators, it’s really hilarious that only State Transits variant sticks out to me like a sore thumb.
Swift

Post by Swift »

This turned up for my 397 today and note the replacement panel.
Attachments
IMG_20180104_205234-1000x563.jpg
Swift

Post by Swift »

Saw the Celebration of a Nation wrap at Bondi Beach this evening.
Stu

Post by Stu »

jpp42 wrote:
Jurassic_Joke wrote: No bus from the new series has the front half dimmed, entire bus is drowned in that horribly dazzling mini-sun. !
Are you a driver? That seems like a safety issue, something that should be taken up with the union maybe?
Ha ha, what union??? The interior lighting button inside some of the 12 x Scania K280UB (Bustech) growth buses in the 26## series is actually wired correctly to allow the front half of the interior lights to be switched off (as the button has been designed for), a very small amount of units, who knows which other random units may have this setting in place. The thick windscreen, clear film over the windscreen (shatter prevention), tinted side windows along with the bright LED interior lighting combines together to create so much reflection on the inside of the windscreen.
Swift

Post by Swift »

The thick windscreen, clear film over the windscreen (shatter prevention), tinted side windows along with the bright LED interior lighting combines together to create so much reflection on the inside of the windscreen.
Safety is out the window then, as a reason for the lack of dimming feature.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

That blissfully funny moment when you're on a 200 going into the City, on the Cahill Express and about to enjoy the lovely view of our Harbour and Opera House, and an angry woman goes to the front and says HEY you're telling me this isn't this going to Wynyard?! and drivers' like Nup. :lol:

Swift wrote:
The thick windscreen, clear film over the windscreen (shatter prevention), tinted side windows along with the bright LED interior lighting combines together to create so much reflection on the inside of the windscreen.
Safety is out the window then, as a reason for the lack of dimming feature.
STA Bustechs are just messed up. Period. I try not to compare them to other models in the fleet, because you just can't.

I'm really warming up to the Scania K280UB CC CB80's on the other hand. :D Really satisfying engine sound and also really good air-conditioning + comfortable enough seating, and something I personally love seeing, on sunny days, they sometimes switch the saloon lighting completely off (as windows are big enough to let in enough daylight).
Swift

Post by Swift »

^ I don't understand why no one else around here appreciates the CB80 K280s . I have found them impressive from the start and found the Buswreck version vastly wanting. I don't understand the worship of them like idols on wheels.
I scored this ride today. 8)
Attachments
IMG_20180105_191749-1000x562.jpg
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

On a Volvo CB60 - not a Scania CB80.
Living in the Shire.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Fleet Lists wrote:On a Volvo CB60 - not a Scania CB80.
It wasn't related to the first part of what I said. It does indeed seem that the CB60 1.5 door bendies are acting as WD40 for the outdated 14.5 Scanias, as I do recall the long buses being used on Maroubra Beach runs from time to time.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

IMG_8600.jpg
IMG_8600.jpg (99.27 KiB) Viewed 18161 times
Not your usual Metrobus livery...
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:That blissfully funny moment when you're on a 200 going into the City, on the Cahill Express and about to enjoy the lovely view of our Harbour and Opera House, and an angry woman goes to the front and says HEY you're telling me this isn't this going to Wynyard?! and drivers' like Nup. :lol:
I don't get the 200 as much as I used to, but this still happens even going northbound from Crows Nest (eg. somebody wanting to get off at the Portview Road/Gore Hill Oval stop northbound, except the bus doesn't stop until the TAFE - about 1km away).

On a different note, getting bus 1683 (a B12BLEA artic) on route 144 from Chatswood this afternoon was nice - until I realised the aircon unit at the back of the bus wasn't operating at all (no air flow at all).
Luckily I wasn't going all the way to Manly, but would have made for a stifling trip up the back (the unit at the front was fine though).
Times like this I wish there were opening windows, since outside was cooler than inside the bus.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Swift

Post by Swift »

jpp42 wrote:Not your usual Metrobus livery...
You captured a green and cream information booth. :lol:
Swift

Post by Swift »

Took this early series Volvo B12 from a Bondi bound 400 in Randwick today.
Attachments
IMG_20180106_200852-1000x563.jpg
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Those early series B12s are incredibly loud from the outside you can hear them from over a block away they do have nice sound to them better than the newer Euro 5 B12s which are just jerky as hell.

Though went along Anzac Parade today was surprised to not a 1.5 door CB 60 bendy just the Volgren bendies. Was thinking what depots apart from P & W use Volgren bendies on weekends apart from Metrobus ?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Saw a couple of artics on L94 today, at least one was a 2 door.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Tonymercury

Re: STA Observations - January to June 2018

Post by Tonymercury »

Swift wrote: You captured a green and cream information booth. :lol:
Does this bus go to Bondi Junction?
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Seeing quite a few standard Volvo B12-CB60's showing up again on L90. Not sure if it coincides with the recent move of a few to Port Botany or if B-Line has sucked up that much of the L90's original patronage
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:Seeing quite a few standard Volvo B12-CB60's showing up again on L90. Not sure if it coincides with the recent move of a few to Port Botany or if B-Line has sucked up that much of the L90's original patronage
I was on a standard B12-CB60 L90 on Friday, caught it all the way from Wynyard to Palm Beach. Driver was only letting those going beyond Mona Vale get on at Wynyard, asking others to get on a B-Line bus. It was crush load, with people holding onto the front door, run plate, etc so they didn't fall. Driver didn't stop for those waiting at any of the stops after Wynyard until Mona Vale as the bus was too full and there were standees all the way up to Palm Beach, this was at 10am. Got a bendy on the way back around 3pm, bus full by Newport, only stopped to set down from Mona Vale. Certainly still needs the bendy on all services and a frequency increase particularly during summer, people don't want to change to and from B-Line so they just wait for the L90 which has a stupid hourly frequency. We passed at least 3 empty B-Line buses both ways! :roll:
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”