STA Observations - January to June 2018

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: STA Observations - January to June 2018

Post by boronia »

Swift wrote:
hornetfig wrote:
Possibly. There's an advance No Left Turn sign before Tay Street too though.
Is a Buses Exempt sign too hard to staple on until the madness subsides?
IIRC, that sign reads "No left turn at Anzac Pde", but if you go into tay St, you are still turning left at Anzac Pde (although I'm sure that is not the intention).

There is also the (probably better) option of left into Doncaster, right into Abbotford, left into Anzac. This is regularly done by buses running NIS from the depot.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

boronia wrote:
Swift wrote: Is a Buses Exempt sign too hard to staple on until the madness subsides?
IIRC, that sign reads "No left turn at Anzac Pde", but if you go into tay St, you are still turning left at Anzac Pde (although I'm sure that is not the intention).

There is also the (probably better) option of left into Doncaster, right into Abbotford, left into Anzac. This is regularly done by buses running NIS from the depot.
I interpret no left turn into Anzac Pde to mean only that, not a ban on subsequently turning left after turning off Alison Rd into another St, in this case Tay St. That would not make sense at all, legally. Not hard. :roll:
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

How did a 400 get that far off route? Looking at the route map, I think the driver might have missed the turn from Cowper St into Cook.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

^ Driver could of then just made a left at Allison Rd at the end of Cowper St more likely driver missed the left turn at Botany St & Arthur St & forced right into Wansey Rd.
joshurandazzo
Favourite Vehicle: m/o 1287 - merc O405NH

Post by joshurandazzo »

Spotted this artic on the 478 today at Rockdale
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (53.45 KiB) Viewed 7944 times
boronia

Post by boronia »

If it is physically too hard because of the angle, why would they exempt buses?
@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Daniel wrote:Even if we put aside the panel of approved suppliers, the bigger question is what NSW metro operator would go out on a limb to take on the extra operating costs of a fully low floor vehicle? Specifically if contract payments are based on a per km basis.

There is greater complexity in a vertical engine arrangement, angle drive and drop centre axles. Greater complexity equals greater time and cost to maintain in the longer term. Also consider a fully low floor vehicle is likely to result in greater glass area which is greater weight and cost, a taller saloon for the full length of the vehicle means a greater ac load and fuel cost? Another door, that adds another maintenance cost. The list goes on.
I've been following Latrobe Valley Bus Lines who've purchased a fleet of fully low floor Volvo B5LH (stepless aisle right up to the back) and they have no qualms about operating costs or ease of maintenance. In addition, this type of chassis is now used for double deckers in NSW and again there are evidently no concerns, yet some here claim it's apparently not OK for single deckers. Now CDC in Victoria is buying 50 low-floor single deckers:

https://www.busnews.com.au/industry-new ... -metro-cdc

It seems that the wall of the bullswool dam has breached. Particularly when you get cost-conscious private operators buying them and a government transit agency being concerned with "improving passenger access and safety".

Edit: Incidentally, with the mechanicals being relocated to the offside there for the RHD market, the way is apparently clear for a stepless back door, like this Wiener Linien version of the same model:

No more excuses for Sydney.
marcnut1996
Favourite Vehicle: Electric buses

Post by marcnut1996 »

Forgot to post this last Friday, this is a picture of 2111 on 15 June (its possibly last day or second last day in Port Botany Depot) running a 309.
Originally a Sydneysider, now a Melburnian
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

^^
Is that the only combo artic in the STA fleet?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

What is you definition of combo in this context? It is and soon was the only Scania K310UA in the STA fleet.
Living in the Shire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

"Combo" describes akaik an artic that's low-entry at the front door only and high floor through the rest of the bus.
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

tonyp wrote:"Combo" describes akaik an artic that's low-entry at the front door only and high floor through the rest of the bus.
Low floor up to the centre axle is more correct.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Caught 3415 long bus locally to Maroubra shops city bound. After getting a bite to eat and shopping, what should take me back on the return trip? The driver even remembered me lol.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

Artic 2110 spotted "failed" in lane 3 of Bathurst St. at ~6pm tonite (Th.21.6.18) between Castlereagh and Elizabeth. Bathurst St. chockers with traffic. Was cleared before 6.30
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

Saw the M10 desto on 2812 today that the word 'then' has now been replaced with 'and'. Also some of the Bustechs don't have the PREPAY ONLY text in inverted (black on white).
boronia

Post by boronia »

I presumed that the non-inverted PREPAY was a problem with the Hanvover equipment, but one I saw yesterday had the front sign normal and the side sign inverted.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

sunnyyan wrote:Saw the M10 desto on 2812 today that the word 'then' has now been replaced with 'and'. Also some of the Bustechs don't have the PREPAY ONLY text in inverted (black on white).
Most drivers I see simply still place the standard non and desto i.e. m20 Botany via Rosebery.

On another note I had seen P now has 12.5m Volvo B12BLEs Euro 5s very odd though I bet they wont stay long and I'm yet to see of P's new Volvo B8s on the road ?
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

I reckon in regards to P's new B8 Optimus, drivers are probably being trained first. I assume. After all, first Volvo's for P in a very long time (or if it all, I can't remember that far back). No need to worry, P is getting almost three times as many of those new buses as Y got (almost 30 roughly) - if I had my way, with that number, they'll hopefully also dethrone the dreaded Bustech that dominates the area at night (N10/N11 too) and give them a run for their money.

Had a pleasant surprise coming home tonight when I got a bus I completely forgot exists, the (at the moment) sole B8 CB80 2913 running in the NightRide
IMG_2279.jpg
IMG_2279.jpg (81.5 KiB) Viewed 6714 times
Very impressed - has the same great engine sound from the new (B8) Optimus buses, including that very satisfying sound when the bus is at a cruising speed. Runs even smoother than last years B7 which was already quite good, very cosy heating too. STA's CB80 is a good example of a bus that only gets better and better - from the initial (in my opinion) drab B7's delivered at the start of this decade, they've come far with a modernised redesign last year, and quality products from both Scania and Volvo this year. When Custom sorts themselves out, I'd welcome the delivery of the remaining B8 CB80's if theres any to come - absolute quality bus.
Swift

Post by Swift »

The only Volvo bus to have a great(ish) engine sound is the B59 from 1970. All others that sound great are attributable to their gearbox, such as the B10M mark 1.
The B9-thingo coach has a beefy engine note but I don't think that engine will make it's way to a city bus.
bussie

Post by bussie »

Swift wrote:The only Volvo bus to have a great(ish) engine sound is the B59 from 1970. All others that sound great are attributable to their gearbox, such as the B10M mark 1.
The B9-thingo coach has a beefy engine note but I don't think that engine will make it's way to a city bus.
To be fair, the ZF Ecolife gearbox is a really quiet one that allows for the engine noise to be heard a lot clearer than the Ecomat.

As for the Volvo D9B engine, it is available on the B9TL Deckers which CDC has (1 in Vic and 1 with Charterplus), if that counts as a city bus, and of course in Europe, it is available on B9RLE and B9L city buses. Chances of it appearing on an Australian single deck 12.5m city bus is low now that the 8 litre D8K engine is the main engine that powers the city bus product offering in Australia.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

Makes more sense thinking about it, but seeing Burwood's 3866 Volvo B10BLE operating a route 530 out of Chatswood rather than a Leichhardt bus at least puts a bit of sanity into that route's operation, since Burwood depot is logically near one of the termini.
(This would be regardless of any operator change IMO).
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
AccordV6L
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10BLE/APG Orana: 3860

Post by AccordV6L »

I saw B's 2839 on Abbotsford 438 turning right off Parramatta Road into Great North Road at Five Dock around 9pm on Friday. Looked like about 10 or so people onboard.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

AccordV6L wrote:I saw B's 2839 on Abbotsford 438 turning right off Parramatta Road into Great North Road at Five Dock around 9pm on Friday. Looked like about 10 or so people onboard.
Westconnex works? I know that has been used as the detour when Ramsay is blocked off at Wattle for the works.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
Swift

Post by Swift »

bussie wrote:
As for the Volvo D9B engine, it is available on the B9TL Deckers which CDC has (1 in Vic and 1 with Charterplus), if that counts as a city bus, and of course in Europe, it is available on B9RLE and B9L city buses. Chances of it appearing on an Australian single deck 12.5m city bus is low now that the 8 litre D8K engine is the main engine that powers the city bus product offering in Australia.
Ohhh! :x I bet this D8K is more like the hissing 7L in character than the 0405 like D9B beef meister.
AccordV6L
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B10BLE/APG Orana: 3860

Post by AccordV6L »

J_Busworth wrote:
AccordV6L wrote:I saw B's 2839 on Abbotsford 438 turning right off Parramatta Road into Great North Road at Five Dock around 9pm on Friday. Looked like about 10 or so people onboard.
Westconnex works? I know that has been used as the detour when Ramsay is blocked off at Wattle for the works.
If that was the case, I would've thought they'd send the 438/39 through the back of Haberfield and Rodd Point, like the 436. Then into the back of Five Dock via First Ave then Fairlight Street. I'm almost certain this diversion has been done before. Also, I only saw this one service on Parramatta Rd, none going in the opposite direction on 438 or 439.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”