STA Observations - November 2017

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Jurassic_Joke

STA Observations - November 2017

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslo ... 4990bacbca

Here we have another bunch of people today moaning about the fact that they might have to walk another few hundred meters or another few minutes to get to the next bus stop

:roll:

And next up for review? M40 in Willoughby please. There are so many stops in that area that are way, way too close to each other (we're talking about perhaps less than 100m between them) it is just stupid. You have the Opal data now - see which stops have the least boarders/alighters, and chop em up!
Plan to remove dozens of inner west bus stops not fair on passengers, say critics
Jim O’Rourke, Inner West Courier Inner City
November 7, 2017 12:31pm
Subscriber only
A COMMUNITY fight to stop bus stops being removed from busy public areas and key routes across the inner west has begun.

More than 40 stops could be pulled up by transport authorities in an effort to improve bus journey times.

The bus stop removals come in advance of the privatisation of State Transit bus services in a large part of the region.

A Submission Report released by Roads and Maritime Services last week indicates stops outside of Marrickville Town Hall will be retained, but 35 stops in Marrickville, Camperdown, Petersham, Stanmore and Dulwich Hill could go.

Commuters may have to walk further to their local bus stop. Picture: Craig Wilson

In a separate RMS proposal, stops across Rozelle, Leichhardt, Lilyfield and Camperdown are being removed. RMS also wants to remove dozens of on-street parking spots as part of the proposed changes to five busy bus routes — 412, 422, 423, 426 and 428. The stops will disappear, or be combined, as part of the State Government’s 10-year Bus Priority program to improve reliability.

State Labor MP for Summer Hill, Jo Haylen, said the bus stop removals are about making routes more profitable for potential private operators following the sell-off of Region 6 buses.

“It will particularly impact the elderly, commuters with disability, and inconvenience each and every person who relies on buses to get around.

“This decision is about fattening the pig for sale.”

Greens MP for Newtown, Jenny Leong (standing left), with a group of Stanmore residents upset with proposed State Government plans to remove bus stops along popular inner west routes.
Balmain Greens state MP Jamie Parker has teamed up with residents and businesses to protect popular stops in the Balmain-Leichhardt area.

Stops will go on Darling St, Balmain Rd, Norton St and Parramatta Rd.

But Mr Parker said the changes would leave many travellers with long distances to walk to their nearest stop.

Businesses on Darling St have been particularly vocal in objecting to the loss of their customers’ parking spaces and less accessible bus stops.

“Residents have launched a Parliamentary petition and I have written to the Transport Minister seeking an urgent review,” Mr Parker said.

“The government is engaging in the worst sort of Orwellian doublespeak by claiming that deleting bus stops is some kind of ‘improvement’,” Mr Parker said

A RMS spokesman said bus stops near schools, aged care facilities and shopping centres have been carefully examined to ensure access to bus services is maintained.

RMS and transport for NSW is now examining submissions before making a final decision.
Stu

Re: STA Observations - November 2017

Post by Stu »

The current amount of bus stops in Balmain is very high thus creating such short proximity between each other - less stops in this area would be a positive change.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Could I suggest that stops need to exist in areas of the greatest convenience for passengers.I agree that reducing the number of close proximity stops is a key to improving journey times,but stops placed at sensible locations based on demand and convenience is also a key in retaining patronage.
The comment from the State Labor MP For Summer Hill in the above text about making the routes more profitable for private operators was just ridiculous and shows a lack of understanding at best and political muckraking at worst.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:
And next up for review? M40 in Willoughby please. There are so many stops in that area that are way, way too close to each other (we're talking about perhaps less than 100m between them) it is just stupid. You have the Opal data now - see which stops have the least boarders/alighters, and chop em up!
Just expanding on my point here with a bit more detail, here’s the part of M40 (and actually 343 runs on the exact same route here too) I’m referring to-

https://m.imgur.com/a/djInl

Wow. I mean, just looking at that, you could delete half the stops there and the flow/operating speeds of both 343 and M40 that travel through here,would be much, much better. Then that would also bring the average (walking) distance between stops in line with other parts of Inner Sydney. So much opportunity here. But I am sure TfNSW will turn a blind eye to this strip , I’m gunna take a stab, because these stops are in the heart of the Premiers electorate - and she’ll have none of it lest she receives letters of threats not to vote for her in 2019.

Enough chatter on my end though, I will actually give it a shot now and email this detailed suggestion for them to look into, I think it's an irritating flaw in an otherwise great Metrobus route.
burrumbus wrote:The comment from the State Labor MP For Summer Hill in the above text about making the routes more profitable for private operators was just ridiculous and shows a lack of understanding at best and political muckraking at worst.
Agree. It’s sad the lies about franchising Inner West buses are still being pedalled, despite already being publicly denied, they’re not doing anything to help their cause and are actually more likely to made people undecided on this issue (such as myself) more likely to support the franchising.
Mercedes3035

Post by Mercedes3035 »

Scania K310UB/Custom Coaches CB80 Series II fleet is being prepared for STA and should be delivered over the next few weeks. The class leader, 2886 has been noted on fleetlists.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

Are 2086/8 at burwood or leichardt as they only seem to work the 461/470
Mercedes3035

Post by Mercedes3035 »

2086 and 2088 have been at Leichhardt since June. Leichhardt operates the 470 and I'm fairly sure they do some 461's during AM and PM peak
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

Most of these plans by the RMS are a scam.

If you have to walk 600 metres to the main road where the bus runs, then walking another 400 metres along the road is an imposition.

Furthermore, if you are also coming back by bus, then the location of pedestrian crossing on the main road is also an imposiytion.

Furthermore, there is very little evidence that if 5 passengers get on the bus at one stop, and then another 5 get on at the next stop 300 metres along the main road, this wastes any more time than 10 passengers getting on at one stop.

Furthermore, a lot of the simulations and analysis of this issue assume a grid layout of main streets 500 m, or 600m or 700m apart, running parallel to each other, and with a bus route along each of the parallel streets. While this may be true in many North American or Chinese cities, it is generally not the case in Australia, and certainly not in Sydney.

The abolition of bus stops in Sydney very rarely has even a flimsy rationale of being in the interests of bus passengers.
Cowra
Favourite Vehicle: Old ones.

Post by Cowra »

2886 Scania K310 / CB80 delivered to Port Botany today.
Ringer of bus bells and tram gongs.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

RIP Port Botany 0405NH Gassies.

On the other hand I really do hope this means we will finally see some more variety on 39_ at night instead of Bustech only

I’m pleased to see these new buses arrive, I think they have a much nicer engine sound compared to their Volvo B7 counterparts
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:I’m pleased to see these new buses arrive, I think they have a much nicer engine sound compared to their Volvo B7 counterparts
Personally I find both the B7RLE and the K-UB sound horrible. Both engines make unpleasant whines in operation and are not the smoothest around. The Scania does perform better owing to the engine being larger though.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

[quote="Jurassic_Joke"]RIP Port Botany 0405NH Gassies.

/quote]

That'll take a lot of Scanias.
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

^ I think B7 is better. It's a lot quieter, with no noticeable difference from the Scania climbing Surry Hills.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Spotted an Iveco Metro Volgren Optimus on route 400 just now - haven’t seen that before
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Happens occasionally, but I don't think R does too many 400 runs?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Sydney_Buses_CB60
Favourite Vehicle: STA Volvo B12BLE CB60 #1504(F)

Post by Sydney_Buses_CB60 »

Personally I think that a nice, loud, musical ZF is always nice, as demonstrated by the Scania K280UB CB80's and Volvo B12BLE CB60's and CB60 Evo II's. When the engine gives a little bit of a roar to the sound as well is always beautiful. My personal favourites would have to be the ZF 5HP552C Automatic (Installed on the 15-- and 16-- Series Volvo B12BLE CB60's) which is 5-Speed and the two models of the ZF 6HP604C, being the ZF 6HP604C Automatic (Installed on most of the 19-- Series and on all the 20--, 21--, 22--, 23--, and 48-- Series Volvo B12BLE CB60 Evo II's) which is 6-Speed, and the other variant being the ZF Ecomat 6HP604C NBS Automatic (Installed on 2378 and 24-- & 25-- Series Scania K280UB CB80's) which is also 6-Speed. The 18-- Series Volvo B12BLE CB60 Evo II's and the bunch of the 19-- Series Volvo B12BLE CB60 Evo II's such as 1952 (1000th Custom Bus Delivered to STA) for example however have quite a different sound as they are installed with a 4-Speed Voith DIWA D864.5 Automatic instead of your usual 6-Speed ZF on these types of buses. It's an easily recognisable sound that is quite nice because Voith have their own special voice when they're slowing down.

Also, I do not know how recent this change is, but I've noticed that 1510 is now at Brookvale. It's got quite a nice roar to it and also note that the stop buttons work but the actual light doesn't light-up when it's pressed. Last month I saw 4864 operating out of North Sydney at Frenchs Forest working a 136 to Manly.
The One & Only
Stu

Post by Stu »

305-IN now picks up from Robey St near O'Riordan St opposite the Stamford Hotel at Mascot. This is due to recent changes to the road infrastructure near Sydney Airport.
- Robey St remains two way to allow vehicles to turn right onto Robey St to access Qantas Dr. Access into the Stamford is from a right turn from Robey St.
- O'Riordan St is one way between Robey St & Qantas Dr.
PoweredByCNG
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O 405

Post by PoweredByCNG »

Sydney_Buses_CB60 wrote:...and the two models of the ZF 6HP604C, being the ZF 6HP604C Automatic (Installed on most of the 19-- Series and on all the 20--, 21--, 22--, 23--, and 48-- Series Volvo B12BLE CB60 Evo II's) which is 6-Speed, and the other variant being the ZF Ecomat 6HP604C NBS Automatic (Installed on 2378 and 24-- & 25-- Series Scania K280UB CB80's) which is also 6-Speed.
My 1992 Mercedes-Benz O 405 has a ZF gearbox with NBS. NBS simply means that the gearbox neutralises while the vehicle is stationary (foot on brake, bus stop brake applied or in some cases, park brake applied). All Ecomat 2 and Ecomat 4 gearboxes have NBS. There is only one ZF 6 HP 604 C.
Proud owner of ex-Transperth 1042 and ex-Transperth 1114.
Sydney_Buses_CB60

Noted this morning that 1599 (V) still has the fleet number in the Newcastle Font at the rear nearside (doorside).
The One & Only
Sydney_Buses_CB60

Unsure if this is the case with other STA Depots but V and F have been cleaning their buses wheels to the point where they're that shiny you could use them as a mirror or headlights on a sunny day. At first it was just the artics that were getting this done but then all the standard guys joined in. Usually its just the occasional one or two buses but it seems to be the whole depots that are having this done. The most recent "Shinification" as I will call it, is 2122 from V. Two or three days its been like this. I prefer the natural look, especially on the B12's. My guess would be it has something to do with the B-Line or something. Any ideas?
The One & Only
fm2790.

Post by fm2790. »

Sydney_Buses_CB60 wrote:Noted this morning that 1599 (V) still has the fleet number in the Newcastle Font at the rear nearside (doorside).

Also at V is ex m/o1514 from Willoughby with M accreditation still on it
Sydney_Buses_CB60

fm2790. wrote:
Sydney_Buses_CB60 wrote:Noted this morning that 1599 (V) still has the fleet number in the Newcastle Font at the rear nearside (doorside).

Also at V is ex m/o1514 from Willoughby with M accreditation still on it
I was on 1514 this morning and noted that there was masking tape over the M on the Shift Plate with the tiniest V written in black marker on the tape. :lol:
The One & Only
Mercedes3035

Post by Mercedes3035 »

1696 has been transferred to Port Botany
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Ooh P gaining some more variety 2 weeks ago it was the CB80 now the Volvo CB60 bendy. I expect to see probably on metrobus runs, L94/X94, 373 and some others. I guess the Scania 14.5m Buses will see their end. Though these bendies won’t be able to do any Eastgardens services.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Christmas bus from K this year will be 2600.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”