Newcastle Transport

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Newcastle Transport

Post by Fleet Lists »

In transport Info 230040 and 230042 show as being at King and Perkins St - one in each direction.

Wickham Interchange no longer exists.
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Fleet Lists wrote:In transport Info 230040 and 230042 show as being at King and Perkins St - one in each direction.
I don't see why you keep bringing those numbers & that stop. The issue is that the various transport planners show a stop that doesn't exist[/quote]
Fleet Lists wrote:Wickham Interchange no longer exists.
I will call it what it should be called if I want to, but you know exactly what I mean about the new OUTWARD buses in Hannell St, without a bus stop, and a bus stop can't be put there until the work on the tram depot is complete.
Last edited by Newcastle Flyer on Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:In transport Info 230040 and 230042 show as being at King and Perkins St - one in each direction.
I don't see why you keep bring those numbers & that stop. The issue is that the various transport planners show a stop that doesn't exist

You started the discussion without mentioning a stop number - without the numbers it is no use lodging a complaint which I hope you will do.
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

"Invisible bus stop"
It gives a reference of 2300117 (IN) at King St between Wolfe & Thorn Sts (shown as King & Wolfe Sts) & it doesn't show a stop at King & Wolfe St going OUTWARD. The planner. I have a feeling they were going to put the stop that replaces "Hunter & Market St" there, but decided not to.

New Swansea bus routes from Sun 14 Jan 2018
While it's only one or two each day, since someone decided to run Swansea buses only between Swansea & Belmont, the Busways Route 99 should be allowed now to pick up & let off passengers between Swansea & Charlestown & v.v. The former CEO of Keolis Downer Campbell Mason claims that 60% from Swansea got off at Belmont, what Opal data did he study? More passengers look to get on & off the Swansea buses between Belmont & the real Newcastle Station. Or at least extend route 25 to Charlestown along the Pacific Highway. That way, passengers won't need three buses if they're going from anywhere south of Belmont to Hamilton.
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

"New route 29 will connect Swansea to Cardiff Station every hour and increased services during peak periods weekdays, creating better access to the Central Coast and Newcastle line with 260 services to be provided each week
New routes 29 and 45 will have timetabled connections with route 14 to create a seamless connection for southern Lake Macquarie and Charlestown, Kotara and Newcastle CBD
Increased night owl services on Friday and Saturday nights
Consistent timetable with services running at the same time every hour"
Newcastle Flyer

At Tonymercury, but if you need to go to Hamilton from Swansea it will be three buses instead of one bus as now.

If you need to go from Westfield Kotara to Mayfield it will now be 4 or 5 buses depending where you get on & off that, instead of just one bus.

But other than the four key routes & 20's in peak hour, an hour frequency isn't going to attract passengers, especially the need to change too many times. It will drive even more passengers aesy.

So after 14 Jan, how does a passenger go from Charlestown to Hillsborough at Chadwick St?
White lives matter too.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

But how many people would make such journeys each day? Is it economically viable to continue providing direct journeys for just a few people?

But if interchange is going to be effective, you really need better than 60 minute frequencies; even 30 minutes on "trunk" routes is nothing to boast about. But presumably, increasing services will not result in a corresponding increase in patronage?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

I'd like to see the Opal figures for that!

Post by 743 »

Newcastle Flyer wrote:If you need to go from Westfield Kotara to Mayfield it will now be 4 or 5 buses depending where you get on & off that, instead of just one bus.

So after 14 Jan, how does a passenger go from Charlestown to Hillsborough at Chadwick St?
Re. Kotara to Mayfield: it's actually only two buses - 14 or 26 to Newcastle, then 11 or 47 from there. It's only "4 or 5 buses" if you want to parallel the old 111 route, which no one in their right mind would do, it's much easier to just transfer once in Newcastle.

Re. Charlestown to Hillsborough - use Route 269. One bus, simple.
Newcastle Flyer

At 743, but that is 1) Going out of your way, 2) The need to get off at Wickham Interchange, then get to the stop in Hunter St opposite The Store building. 3) Doing that will put the fare in the next fare zone, making the trip possibly dearer. And for those that are going from Westfield Kotara or Mayfield to Mackie Ave?

Then their are the several high demand routes, or parts of those routes, that have been discontinued. eg: high demand part of 225 from the unversity to New Lambton/Westfield Kotara, 322 along Northcott Dr, etc.

But how except for 4 routes, is the new timetable meant to increase passenger numbers, unless they . . .?
White lives matter too.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Where is 'Wickham Interchange"? I can't find it on any official site.
ScaniaGrenda
Favourite Vehicle: Scania,Volvo or Mercedes Buses

Post by ScaniaGrenda »

Tonymercury wrote:Where is 'Wickham Interchange"? I can't find it on any official site.
I think Newcastle Flyer or Fleet lists said "Wickham Interchange" was suppose to be the original name for new Interchange instead of it being called "Newcastle Interchange". For some reason it was decided that Newcastle Interchange was a better name.

Should've seen the confused reactions from people waiting for the 110 at the Newcastle Custom house on the Interchange opening day when I told them, "Yes the Interchange /new station is in Wickham but it's not called Wickham". In my opinion I think Wickham Interchange would've been a better name and less confusing for people + it's in the heart of wickham just before reaching further into the Newcastle CBD. I remember having a Chinese couple who were confused about the location because it's called "Newcastle Interchange" and not "Wickham interchange".

I mean it's in Wickham but their calling it Newcastle Interchange.I guess that would be like calling Central station Sydney Transport Interchange or something like that.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
In other news I'm after the where abouts or information on a few of Newcastle Transports Buses as I'm yet to still seem operating since K/D have taken over Newcastles STA Operations here.

Mercedes Ansair Orana m/o 3405 and m/o 3406 (Last saw them myself around April last year) I frequented Newcastle a lot since K/D took over and I've seen the MAN Oranas and a few Volvo Oranas operating but haven't seen 3405 and 3406 since.

Scania L113CRL Ansair Orana m/o 5515 - Still yet to see this operating anywhere since it was deliverd Late-ish last year, I think it's being kept as a spare or emergency use bus but your guess is as good as mine.

Volvo B10B CC238 m/o 012, m/o 5372 and m/o 5682. I'll be happy to add that I remember seeing one of them parked at Newcastle station a couple of months back but once again haven't seen it since. I assume it's kept as a "Special run" bus or a school bus.

Finally I have attempted to contribute information to the Newcastle Transport Wikipedia page, more so fleet information into a table using information sourced from here, Bus Australia fleet lists and myself as well as adding pictures of the Buses I have under NT. Unfortunately I've now twice had my contributions reverted by a person who has had no previous history on the NT page for the following reason.
I removed your edits because they appear to be [[WP:NOR|original research]]. You provided a link to what appears to be a bus enthusiasts fansite, self published sources are not reliable sources. Furthermore, just because other articles include them doesn't automatically apply to others. Many of these other tables end up being removed as well
Well might as well forget that then. Would've been nice to expand on the NT Wikipedia page as it's very dull but self published sources aren't allowed, yet he leaves the text listing up that states Newcastle Transports fleet that get's it's information from the fleetlists so that's okay but expanding it into a table is a big no no?

Here's the part I'm talking about that's allowed to stay but If I expand it, it get's reverted
Fleet[edit source]
As of October 2017, Newcastle Transport operated a fleet of 180 BCI, MAN, Mercedes-Benz, Volvo and Scania buses [7] and two 1986 built ferries, the Hunter and Shortland.[8]
Transport enthusiast & photographer / videographer since 2016, documenting & preserving our local Transport History through videos & photos.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

But someone coming from Sydney might not know where Wickham is, and so become confused. I think Newcastle Intg better defines the destination.

Going back a few years I came across quite a few people who didn't know that Central and Sydney Terminal were the same place. Central is not really the centre of Sydney anyway.

Whatever you use, people adapt to it over time.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Tonymercury wrote:Where is 'Wickham Interchange"? I can't find it on any official site.
Wickham Interchange was the original working title. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-28/t ... ns/5702030 TfNSW then proposed to rename (and obviously later did) it Newcastle Interchange before it opened last October. http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-12-12/2 ... on/7023026 So see no real reason to refer to it here as anything but Newcastle Interchange.
Newcastle Flyer

ScaniaGrenda wrote:I think Newcastle Flyer or Fleet lists said "Wickham Interchange" was suppose to be the original name for new Interchange instead of it being called "Newcastle Interchange".
That is not the reason I call it Wickham Interchange & will continue to call it Wickham Interchange. Should be called GDT though!
White lives matter too.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Get with it man - it is now called Newcastle Interchange - we may even be forced to edit posts which continue to call it Wickham Interchange.
Living in the Shire.
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Although the official name is Newcastle Interchange, many Newcastle locals refer to it as Wickham Interchange - it's where the old Wickham train station used to be. But for those from Sydney and elsewhere it's probably only known as Newcastle Interchange.

It's worth noting that the Newcastle Herald have called it Wickham Interchange in some of their recent articles, and the local TV news headline was "Wickham Interchange up and running" in their story about the opening.

Perhaps similar to how some people still used CityRail for a while after the rename to Sydney Trains. And I also know of some locals who call Hawkesbury River station Brooklyn.
Newcastle Flyer

The NightOwl route 118 has been changed to route 55N.

Timetables in order are routes:-
1) 11 (NightOwl 11 to Jesmond)
2) 12 (NightOwl 12 Merewether Beach to Maryland);
3) 13 (NightOwl 13 via Beaumont St);
4) 14 (NightOwl 14 extends to Swansea Heads);
5) 21, 22, 25, 28;
6) 23, 24, 26, 27, 47;
7) 29, 45;
8) 41, 43, 48;
9) 42, 44, 46;
10) FERRY, NightOwl 55N
The 110 timetable is not available on the newcastletransport.info website, only the trip planner (Edit: Not on Trip Planner yet)
When using one ferry, it's two minutes at one wharf & three minutes at the other wharf.

Routes 11 & 13 use the City West bus stop at & opposite The Store building so any passengers that are connecting with another bus or train at Wickham Interchange have to walk about 205 metres (that's if you're at the Newcastle end of the train).
Last edited by Newcastle Flyer on Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
White lives matter too.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

andy_centralcoast wrote:Although the official name is Newcastle Interchange, many Newcastle locals refer to it as Wickham Interchange - it's where the old Wickham train station used to be. But for those from Sydney and elsewhere it's probably only known as Newcastle Interchange.

It's worth noting that the Newcastle Herald have called it Wickham Interchange in some of their recent articles, and the local TV news headline was "Wickham Interchange up and running" in their story about the opening.

Perhaps similar to how some people still used CityRail for a while after the rename to Sydney Trains. And I also know of some locals who call Hawkesbury River station Brooklyn.
And how are visiting readers here supposed to sort this out if they aren't locals?

Similarly for someone planning a visit.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

A new route 110 timetable is available on Transport info as is the new 55N which replaces 118.

I dont think the old 110 is on the Newcastle Transport website either.

No timetables seem to be on the trip finder yet as the dynamic Transport Info maps which use the trip finder info, show any maps as yet - trips not operating within the next two weeks although in reality the 14th is within two weeks.
Living in the Shire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Route 110 is a rail replacement service and not part of the NT contract area. It was even more complicated during the time that services were cut back to Broadmeadow as that contract was with Rovers and their service replaced the 110 but NT still operated some 110s to Broadmeadow.

Confused? I bet the long suffering punters were even more confused.

Of course why it can't be listed with the other bus services is another mystery.
TSE_SecretAni
Favourite Vehicle: Yutong E12, Bustech VST, Orana

Post by TSE_SecretAni »

Newcastle Transport new timetable is now available

Here's a link http://www.newcastletransport.info/uplo ... 180114.pdf
Newcastle Flyer

TSE, try this for all the timetables available: http://newcastletransport.info/the-new- ... ble-anchor.
Tonymercury wrote:. . . and their service replaced the 110 but NT still operated some 110s to Broadmeadow.
Huhh? :?
White lives matter too.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

TSE_SecretAni wrote:Newcastle Transport new timetable is now available

Here's a link http://www.newcastletransport.info/uplo ... 180114.pdf
That is only one timetable
All bus timetables are at http://www.newcastletransport.info/the-new-way and entering the route number required.

I dont have a link for the ferry and 55N
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Tonymercury wrote:Route 110 is a rail replacement service and not part of the NT contract area. It was even more complicated during the time that services were cut back to Broadmeadow as that contract was with Rovers and their service replaced the 110 but NT still operated some 110s to Broadmeadow.

Confused? I bet the long suffering punters were even more confused.

Of course why it can't be listed with the other bus services is another mystery.
I dont believe Rover was ever involved in that.
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”