Indian Pacific

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Indian Pacific

Post by boronia »

SPONSORED CONTENT

When the explorers Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson crossed the Blue Mountains in 1813, in search for more grazing land for the young Sydney colony, they discovered what Australia's Aboriginal people had known for millennia: it's a big, beautiful country out there.

Nowadays that big country is crossed from coast to coast by the Indian Pacific train, as it threads 4352km from Sydney to Perth. Though the Blue Mountains to Sydney's west seemed a barrier for the early colonists, they're now a highlight for passengers aboard the train as it makes its way through their lofty splendour.

From April 2018, there'll be an extra Blue Mountains bonus for those travelling east from Perth to Sydney: on the final day of their epic rail journey, they'll have the option of a taking a tour off the train into the beautiful heart of the World Heritage-listed mountain range.

All Off Train Excursions on the Indian Pacific are included in the fare, as is its excellent food and beverage service, which often draws on ingredients from the regions through which the train is travelling. Off Train Excursions extend the relaxed social feeling that's shared by guests as they swap stories and enjoy the passing scenery in the train's onboard lounge.

Guests will join the new Blue Mountains tour after breakfast, when they'll disembark the train at Mount Victoria station and transfer via coach to Scenic World. This Katoomba facility offers three ways to experience the beauty of the mountains: Railway, Cableway and Skyway.

The Scenic World railway is billed as the steepest passenger service in the world, as it descends at a sharp 52 degree angle via a cliffside tunnel, into ancient rainforest at the Jamison Valley floor. At the bottom, there's a scenic walkway through the trees.

An alternative way to descend is the Cableway, a cable car which travels 510m down to the valley. En route there are great views of striking sights such as Orphan Rock, Mount Solitary and the Katoomba Falls.

The third option, the Skyway, is another cable car that travels at a height of 270m above ancient ravines, with all-around views of the mountains and their features. Its most spectacular aspect is a section of glass flooring which reveals all that lies below.

Once the Indian Pacific guests have enjoyed these scenic transports, they'll have the choice of being transferred or stretching their legs and walking along the Prince Henry Cliff Walk to Echo Point Lookout. This is the ideal spot from which to admire the Three Sisters, a set of weathered sandstone peaks which is an icon of the Blue Mountains.

How to cap off a morning's wealth of natural beauty? With morning tea, of course, no doubt something those early explorers enjoyed here too. Then it's a chartered train back for the final run from Katoomba station down toward the Pacific coast and journey's end: Sydney Central station.

This article brought to you by Great Southern Rail. See greatsouthernrail.com.au

Read more: http://www.traveller.com.au/australias- ... z4ql9fpkT5
Follow us: @TravellerAU on Twitter | TravellerAU on Facebook
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Tonymercury

Re: Indian Pacific

Post by Tonymercury »

A chartered V set from Katoomba?
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

More likely the coach used picked up at Mount Victoria will then continue down to Sydney.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Not what it says in the article.
Living in the Shire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Linto63 wrote:More likely the coach used picked up at Mount Victoria will then continue down to Sydney.

Did you read the item?
boronia

Post by boronia »

When I read the article, I was left wondering if the wording was correct.

The logistics of the IP arriving in Sydney without some of its passengers, but (presumably) with all their personal effects still on board, would be interesting.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Free Lance
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes O305, m/o 3021

Post by Free Lance »

This leads to the assumption that any passengers who detrain at Mt Vic would remove all personal items from their allotted cabins (thus allowing staff extra time to prepare said cabins for the return journey.) All "booked" luggage would (we assume) be held at Sydney Terminal for collection at a convenient time (for staff).
Ray

Post by Ray »

Random question - does the Blue Mountains line ever get so high up that you can see the ocean from the train, in the distance back to the east? I remember seeing a bit of the harbour from the mountains at one point from the train, but not sure if it was the open sea.
Go Cats.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Ray wrote:Random question - does the Blue Mountains line ever get so high up that you can see the ocean from the train, in the distance back to the east? I remember seeing a bit of the harbour from the mountains at one point from the train, but not sure if it was the open sea.
It was said in the early days of the colony that the South head signal station could be seen from the upper mountains and even today you can see the city from Wentworth Falls from my own observation.

The difference from the early 19th century is the sewer of gunk (to which diesel buses contribute :wink: ) floating above Sydney which usually makes it difficult to discern any fine details and sometimes none at all.
Centralian

Post by Centralian »

If you stare hard enough you can see anything - but no is the answer from my nearly 40 years up here. When we get water views I'd be worried.

I should add that in 1870 it is reported that from a certain high point in Wentworth Falls the sails of ships in Sydney Harbour could be seen, probably with the aid of a telescope of sorts.
Last edited by Centralian on Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Think for yourself, while it's still legal !
Ray

Post by Ray »

thanks guys....I figured that if I can see the mountains from my office in the city, vice versa would also be true...but guess it depends on whereabouts in the mountains.
Go Cats.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Ray wrote:thanks guys....I figured that if I can see the mountains from my office in the city, vice versa would also be true...but guess it depends on whereabouts in the mountains.
Well it's like this conundrum:

You can spot the city from the giraffe, but danged if you can spot that giraffe from the city. :)
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

In ideal conditions, Botany Bay is visible from Wentworth Falls. But the height of the land along the rest of the coast blocks the view of the actual sea.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Thanks Liamena, that would explain the blue I saw on the horizon when I last travelled on this line.

I also tried to look East towards the Heads, but all I saw was a giraffe. Odd.
Go Cats.
GeoffreyHansen
Favourite Vehicle: Endeavour Railcar

Post by GeoffreyHansen »

I have watched the IP for many years but I never imagined that it would one day stop at Mount Victoria.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Getting passengers off there would take nearly a whole day.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

As predicted by Tony above, a 4 car V set is chartered to ferry who take the Blue Mountains tour from Katoomba, arriving at Central at 15:20, presumably is attached to a down Mount Victoria service in the morning.

In other IP news, NR29 and 86 now sport a revised IP livery. Not even a full repaint, just the PN signwriting replaced by fairly uninspiring IP signwriting, white on the sides, blue on the ends. Sadly each IP livery has become more and more bland. :(

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”