2017 Train & Bus timetable changes

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Tonymercury

Re: 2017 Train & Bus timetable changes

Post by Tonymercury »

Liamena wrote: An incident causing an extra minute dwell time ( like loading a wheelchair }
Should only take about 20 seconds if well handled by all involved and the passengers stay out of the way - preferably by going to the next door as soon as they see ramp.

Even the level boarding, non-ramp, metro will probably suffer from idiots.
TSE_SecretAni
Favourite Vehicle: Yutong E12, Bustech VST, Orana

Post by TSE_SecretAni »

Macarthur express train will make extra stop at Macquarie Fields on morning peak and afternoon peak. Some train will not stop at Padstow and Riverwood on morning peak and afternoon peak.

T7 Olympic Park line train will depart at 1 minute earlier at Lidcombe and Olympic Park.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

IIRC there was a proposal a few years ago to build a north facing bay platform at Hornsby to the east of Platform 1 with Berowra services operating as a shuttle with platforms 1 and 2 to be used primarily as bay platforms for the North Shore line.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Two new school services.
- 785-IN AM Seaforth shops to Northern Beaches Secondary College - Cromer Campus via Pittwater House School (Cromer).
This new school service replaces the short working 178-OUT of which the route would deviate both at the beginning of the trip and the end of the trip as well. Commencing from Seaforth shops (Sydney Rd) and terminate on South Creek Rd, Cromer.

- 789-OUT PM Pittwater House School (Cromer) to Avalon.
This new school service replaces the 189-OUT.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Liamena wrote:
Transtopic wrote:...particularly if there are delays on the North Shore Line, which can happen with such a tight schedule.
This is a bit of a misconception in my opinion.

Customer only care about "delays" if there is no train to catch.

Suppose there is a "sick passenger" somewhere, which stops the trains for half an hour. That is definitely a problem while there is no actual train for half an hour.

Now suppose that delay makes every train for the rest of the day run technically half an hour late. Customer probably won't even notice. Customer walks down the steps at platform 3 at Town Hall at 5:18 to catch the 5:20 train to Turramurra, they probably won't even notice that the train which comes at 5:20 is actually the 4:40 which is actually running 40 minutes late. They won't know or care that there were no trains at all for 40 minutes, three hours earlier.

All the trains running half an hour late might be a problem at the terminus, or for returning services, or traindrivers shifts getting disrupted. For the customers, not so much.

A breakdown or obstructin of some kind will cause delays whether there is a high volume of trains, or not. "Tight schedules" tend to cause delays only if there are conflicting movements. An incident causing an extra minute dwell time ( like loading a wheelchair } can have a flow-on effect where all the following trains have to slow down for signals. This often happens towards the end of peak hour. This is not really a big deal for customers as long as the trains keep running. If the key performance indicators are making it a big deal, then perhaps they are measuring the wrong thing.
I was referring to any initial delay on the North Shore Line, whether it be 10 mins or half an hour. In the meantime, the metro will be disgorging a train load of passengers at Chatswood every 4 mins in the peak and with the added volume of local passengers boarding at Chatswood, it presents a serious safety issue through overcrowding on the platform. I hope they have a contingency plan for such an eventuality, because it's bound to happen at some stage.
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Liamena wrote:If the key performance indicators are making it a big deal, then perhaps they are measuring the wrong thing.
The NSW Auditor-General's report into passenger rail punctuality actually made this recommendation to move to a customer outcome measure which would shift the focus to minimising customer delays, rather than maximising train punctuality statistics. This is based on the London system which measures Excess Journey Time and Lost Customer Hours.

The report noted as an example:
One train has many passengers but is running late. Another train has a handful of passengers but is on time. Giving priority to the train with a handful of passengers would maximise punctuality results, but result in longer customer delay.
This exact scenario happens often in the morning peak when full Central Coast trains are running a couple of minutes late at Hornsby and are then delayed further, as priority is given to empty suburban trains exiting the yard on time. The fully loaded Central Coast train then ends up 15 minutes late, but only 1 train is late. What's better, 3 trains running 4 minutes late, or 1 train running 15 minutes late?
Last edited by andy_centralcoast on Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

swtt wrote:After reading the latest Rhodes East Precinct plans last night, I suspect a Rhodes Turnback might be needed to start trains fresh from there, instead of Platform 3. Trains ex Epping will be of no use by that time as Meadowbank will have been filled to the brim with new apartments, as well as Rhodes!
Apart from Epping, you can add Eastwood to that as well. It's the elephant in the room. It's a late starter, but there's already around 1,000 apartments under construction or in the planning phase and it hasn't scratched the surface yet. Further upgrading of the Town Centre planning controls will result in significantly more development. The same could be said for West Ryde.

I would expect that after the closure and conversion of the ECRL to metro, the Northern Line services via Strathfield would be 10tph at a minimum, 4tph from Hornsby, semi express from Eastwood, and 6tph all stations from Epping. Epping and Eastwood will also have CCN Intercity services. With the completion of the quad between West Ryde and Rhodes, that would allow for additional suburban services, whether semi express or all stations. In either case, Rhodes would be included, so I doubt if there would be a need for a Rhodes Turnback.
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Interestingly I couldn't see any Rhodes or Lindfield terminators/starters in the new timetable and it appears T1 Northern and North Shore stopping patterns are mostly unchanged.
swtt

Post by swtt »

andy_centralcoast wrote:Interestingly I couldn't see any Rhodes or Lindfield terminators/starters in the new timetable and it appears T1 Northern and North Shore stopping patterns are mostly unchanged.
That's because if my speculations are about these terminators are correct, that would kick in as ECRL is shut down, not in this 2017 TT :)
ay7744
Favourite Vehicle: HSV GTSR W1

Post by ay7744 »

The 170 has been running on weekends frequently quite a bit recently but did the government ever announce the 170 commencing?
Custom Bus Group > Volgren
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Heres another interesting change I just spotted

Route 245 Balmoral - City Wynyard

At the moment, Monday-Saturday, the last trip from Balmoral Beach, just after midnight, runs further to QVB, where it then becomes a 151 to Mona Vale.

This special trip has been withdrawn on Monday-Friday - it's still there, but only on Saturday.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

ay7744 wrote:The 170 has been running on weekends frequently quite a bit recently but did the government ever announce the 170 commencing?
This was discussed at some length in http://www.busaustralia.com/forum/viewt ... =3&t=84922
Living in the Shire.
TheOpalUser

Post by TheOpalUser »

Wayfinding changes are starting to roll out - with line maps underneath the platform indicators changing.
Posts and comments made here are my own personal opinions, and not on behalf of my employer.
ay7744
Favourite Vehicle: HSV GTSR W1

Post by ay7744 »

143/144 from West Esplanade
146/169/199 from Belgrave St
(from 26 Nov)

What is everyone's opinion on the change?

The government has also finally made the corridor between Manly and Dee Why consistent. The inconsistency in service frequency of services to and from Manly (with 155/156/169) is really annoying. But from 26 Nov, 146/169/199 depart Manly every 7-8mins. 199s have a consistent service for Pittwater to running every 15mins.
Custom Bus Group > Volgren
thunderbird

Post by thunderbird »

What is the reasoning by most 400 buses not stopping at UNSW or Randwick Junction on weekends in the new TT? I figured it must be light rail but it doesn't explain why some still do.
hornetfig

Post by hornetfig »

Why do you think that? It looks like the timetable has removed all the timing points, but I don't think there's any further route changes.
swtt

Post by swtt »

hornetfig wrote:Why do you think that? It looks like the timetable has removed all the timing points, but I don't think there's any further route changes.
A little bit like the M30 TT -- no timing point at Spit Junction for around half of the trips!
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

swtt wrote: A little bit like the M30 TT -- no timing point at Spit Junction for around half of the trips!
That timetable is so weird. Are they seriously going to have half the trips make a detour via Spit Rd?
Stu

Post by Stu »

ay7744 wrote:The 170 has been running on weekends frequently quite a bit recently but did the government ever announce the 170 commencing?
Some other changes that were not heralded:
- 236 was re-routed to operate via Punch St from 05/05/2017. This created an operational change whereby this service operates as a loop service (Musgrave St Whf to Musgrave St Whf via Punch St) during the AM peak and the PM peak respectively. This can be seen in the the current timetable.

- 208 was re-routed to terminate, lay over and pick up in Gresham St, City facing North. The previous arrangement was the same as the current 202, 204, 205, 206 & 207. This occurred on the 16/10/2017.
Liamena

Post by Liamena »

I saw some grumbling today online, I think from "The Australian", commuters from Fairfield complaining about journey time to the city increasing from 40 to 50 minutes.

It's an improvement, said the government spokesperson, they now have frequent services to Leppington.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Which only goes to show what a very difficult juggling act ,train(and bus)timetabling is.You can't please everyone(or anybody some times).
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Liamena wrote:I saw some grumbling today online, I think from "The Australian", commuters from Fairfield complaining about journey time to the city increasing from 40 to 50 minutes.

It's an improvement, said the government spokesperson, they now have frequent services to Leppington.
:evil: Usual bias from the government. Blatant disregard of the fact that many Fairfielders actually commute to the city. A close friend of mine is one of many of those Fairfielders that has to ride from Smithfield then ride into the CBD.

When riding from Fairfield to the CBD, "frequent services to Leppington" couldn't be more irrelevant.

Nice find, Liamena.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Can't please everybody when the network is reaching its physical limitations.

Just like the 'outrage' from Kogarah and Rockdale in 2013, people will get used to it in a month.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Booklet summarising changes on the Northern Beaches:

http://yoursay.b-line.transport.nsw.gov ... ents/66454

Includes an Express Stopping Pattern page.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Managed to contact TfNSW about the lack of information about 893/898 - they now seem to have added it into the bus changes.

https://transportnsw.info/moving-forward/bus

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”