NSW Rail Observations - June 2017

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Re: NSW Rail Observations - June 2017

Post by Aurora »

Bjwh86 wrote:Anyone know what the empty 8K is running back and forth between Parramatta and clyde.
It was running across the south west of the network performing points cleans.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:But then why do they do it? I kid you not, Town Hall, especially platform 2, peak hour, its UNCOMMON (i.e., well above zero) - to the point where I never travel in that exact scenario anymore, (yes seriously) because the chance of a driver blasting the horn is just stupid. I get some school kids are stupid too for messing around/pushing each other on the platform which is most likely what triggers it, but still, sometimes its just because the platform is crowded. I mean, have you tried standing infront of a waratah and then have someone honk the horn? In a confined space? I'm not kidding, you can really damage someones hearing with that, i think the complaints would be pretty valid
Same thing happened last night at about 11pm at Town Hall. I couldn't see what was going on but as a M set pulled into the platform, the driver repeatedly pressed the horn very loudly. I didn't see what happened but I did see that there were two people seemingly passed out on the platform with station staff next to them.
crazyturbo76
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE/Custom 'CB80'

Post by crazyturbo76 »

Frosty wrote:I swear they have been announcing via Airport stations for at least a week. I don't like it just doesn't sound nice it doesn't have the smooth sounding nature of via Airport maybe they should change to via Sydney Airport.
Jurassic_Joke wrote:
gilberations wrote:You mention blowing the train whistle. Drivers do get dragged into the office for that. To which they get told to not do it,
I swear DVA announcements have mentioned "City Circle via Airport" or "Macarthur via Airport" long before these changes, though my memory is of course subject to faults at times. Could be confusing myself with the last time I had to wait for a train at Central or one of the City Circle stations...
Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

Liamena wrote:I am not sure who runs the N90, so I will report these observations here...

Flew into Sydney tonight, about 70 minutes late, just after 11 PM.

I noticed near the exit of terminal 2, a screen advising that the next train to downtown was in 4 minutes. I was wondering how many people this was useful
information for, as most people could not get to the platform in 4 minutes from that point, even if they had no bag to wait and collect.

How long until the train after the one in 4 minutes, or when the last train would be, would be more useful and relevant information.

Almost every train system that I have used in other places, has quite good information about the time of the last train of the evening. Even in China.

I thought that it was too late to catch the 400 to Mascot station, so I went to the station and paid for the $17 whatever fare.

When the train was approaching Chatswood, the guard announced that there was a problem at Waitara, so they train would go via Epping to Hornsby, instead.

I don't think this was useful to anybody, I counted the people getting off at Chatswood, 42 people got off the first 2 carriages, 2 remained on the train. Then the
guard announced that the train would go non-stop to Hornsby, while the platform announcements kept saying the train would go all stations to Hornsby via Epping. Brilliant ! Fortuantely, not many people would have been screwed by this, because almost none of the Hornsby via Epping station are in any way a meaningful alternative
to any of the via Gordon stations.

The guard of the train also claimed that there would be a train replacement bus, which seemed suspicious. It was not at all apparent how long ago this "incident" at Waitara had occured. How easy is it to get a bus at short notice midnight ? I went looking to see where the announcements were coming from, to ask whether the next train might be going to Gordon, but the station was entirely deserted.

If there was someone hiding at Chatswood and making those platform announcement, or even if they were being made remotely from somewhere else, it's not rocket science to be aware of the Night Ride buses, and suggest those to disrupted passengers as an alternative. I've never used a Night Ride bus "late", I've only used them "early", to go somewhere at 5:30 AM before the trains start.

I followed most of the passengers out of the station and to the west-side of Victoria Avenue. Oddly, there was one of those yellow cardboard or maybe corflute signs on a utility pole. Although all the text on it was about trains to Newcastle. I was still suspicious whether there would be any "replacement" bus.

Then I went looking for the N90 bus stop. The location of this was non-obvious at Chatswood to me, and the sign was inconspicuous. As luck would have it, the first service was due in 5 minutes. While looking for it, I noticed that there was no sign about it anywhere near the station.

The N90 turned up almost at the time stated, although the sign on the front said it was only going to Gordon. It drove right past the yellow sign in Victoria Avenue, which must have confused some of the people still waiting hopefully there.

I noticed that of the 15 people who got on before me, only 2 appeared to use Opal. I foolishly did, as it turned out, which may the expensive trip from the airport even more expensive.

I noticed that when the bus got to Gordon, and was apparently supposed to terminate, most of the people stayed on the bus. After I got off, I heard the driver say he was going to Hornsby. This was commendably useful ! He didn't bother to make any announcement about this. If he had mentioned he was going further, I would have stayed on the bus, because Pymble is a shorter walk home. I also noticed that after he went round the U-turn at the Gordon "interchange", the sign on the bus no longer said "N90", but "train replacement". How did that happen ? It probably means that I should not have paid.....

Meanwhile, a train was standing at platform 2 at Gordon. It must have got there very quickly, the next via-Gordon train wasn't due at Chatswood until 30 minutes after the one I was originally on, and I wasn't actually waiting around all that long, and the bus trip was very quick. However, it must have come from the City, as the guard was announcing that it would be "returning" to Chatswood. Or maybe, it might have even been the train preceding the one that I was originally on.

He was also advising passengers on the train to return to Chatswood. I am not sure how that would help anyone trying to get to Turramurra or wherever. There might, or might not, have been another train direct from Chatswood to Hornsby via Epping. There are no scheduled services that late. There might be another diverted north shore line service, I would have thought not, but maybe there is an extra one on friday nights. The walk from Hornsby to Turramurra "might" be shorter than the walk from Gordon, but there wouldn't be much in it. And as it was now after 00:30, the N90 is running. He also told the customers inside his train ( if there were any , I didn't see any from my vantage point) that there would be no alterntive bus along the north shore line, which in view of the fact that one N90 had just come and gone at Gordon, and another one was due within 30 minutes, was just plain bad advice.

It seems to me, as there are probably no "management" around in the middle of the night, that's all the more reason to have better prepared contingency plans for this sort of event, which is hardly unprecedented.
If you haven't already done so
https://transportnsw.info/contact-us/fe ... n-feedback

The yellow corflute sign on Victoria Ave would've been for the weekend closedown on the Newcastle and Central Coast line but it is the same place where all the northbound replacement buses depart from. People waiting there would've eventually caught a train replacement bus.

Couldn't you have got back on the bus if you heard the driver say he was going to Hornsby?
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Broken down train at Tascott (between Woy Woy and Gosford) this evening, stuck for about 90 minutes.

All northbound trains were halted and most held at a station until the line was cleared. This is probably to avoid congestion but it is annoying when the train gets held near Epping for a problem near Gosford. Would be better to take everyone as far as possible (eg Woy Woy) where it would be easier & cheaper to get a taxi from or have someone come to pick you up, or even up to Hornsby/Berowra where in the past they would organise buses from.

Third track between Epping and Thornleigh was used to park a few Central Coast trains while letting suburbans pass to continue through to Hornsby.
gilberations

Post by gilberations »

andy_centralcoast wrote:Broken down train at Tascott (between Woy Woy and Gosford) this evening, stuck for about 90 minutes.

All northbound trains were halted and most held at a station until the line was cleared. This is probably to avoid congestion but it is annoying when the train gets held near Epping for a problem near Gosford. Would be better to take everyone as far as possible (eg Woy Woy) where it would be easier & cheaper to get a taxi from or have someone come to pick you up, or even up to Hornsby/Berowra where in the past they would organise buses from.

Third track between Epping and Thornleigh was used to park a few Central Coast trains while letting suburbans pass to continue through to Hornsby.
There's no way to terminate trains at Woy Woy without literal mountains of paperwork
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

gilberations wrote: There's no way to terminate trains at Woy Woy without literal mountains of paperwork
If they were serious about customer service they would have a proforma paperwork in the system able to be printed out at the press of a button.

Of course emptying train after train at Woy Woy and storing the empty sets on the line further up would create it's own problems, especially if the local bus companies are not in a position to get something to the station at the time.
There are times many people may prefer to wait on the train until it can move again instead of being tipped out at the station nearest the blockage only to stand around in the cold (heat) waiting for buses.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Fatality at Granville this evening, all T1 services stopped.

I was on Wyong service, on arrival at Parramatta Plat 1 we were told to change to Plat 3. However by the time we got over there, they had decided NO trains were going through Granville. Just the usual "indefinite delay" announcements, so decided I might try for a bus. Out to the rank, to see two m52s depart with full standing loads, and a long queue trying to get on, and Tripview showing 15 minutes for the next one.

Decided to cut my losses and jumped on a 546 bus to Epping, at least there I could be guaranteed a train.

THey had announced that services would be operating to Campbelltown as normal, then realised there was a city bound train still on the suburban line at Harris Park which could not proceed.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

546 from Parra to Epping that's some long way considering the bus detours via North Rocks would of been faster waiting for a 549 or m54 to Epping. Or getting the 525 to Strathfield. Or even if all else failed get a T way bus then a 607x from the T-Way to the City.
boronia

Post by boronia »

546 was a bit longer than I had envisaged, but it was the first one along that went to a station. Services to Strathfield might have had the same crowding as the m52. At least I got a seat all the way and had a pleasant chat with a couple of fellow travellers who didn't have a clue about the options.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I agree, better to be on your way than keep waiting for a service that may be delayed, overcrowded or both.
Epping is a pretty major station to head for with good options.
Besides, a bus route you never normally would use makes for a fun experience even if you never wish to repeat it!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I was rather fortunate as I originally intended to catch the BMT service that leaves Penrith about 10 minutes after the Wyong service. Had I done this I might have been stranded at Westmead or worse with no real bus options.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

matthewg wrote:
gilberations wrote: There's no way to terminate trains at Woy Woy without literal mountains of paperwork
If they were serious about customer service they would have a proforma paperwork in the system able to be printed out at the press of a button..
Safety is the most important consideration and putting that into jeopardy is unacceptable. Trains need to be safely managed and operated and the checks and balances in place helps ensure your safety whilst on trains.
M 5885.
Roderick Smith

Re: Granville death and delay

Post by Roderick Smith »

Train death at Granville station causes commuter delays.
Sydney 'Daily Telegraph' June 16, 2017.
A MAN has been killed after falling onto the tracks at a western Sydney train station this evening.
Commuters at Granville Station initially thought the victim, who was wearing a hi-vis orange top, was a Sydney Trains employee.
A Sydney Trains later spokesman confirmed the victim was not an employee.
Two commuters, Mohammed Tizani and Ros Wandi, posted on social media, stating the man was struck by a train.
“Be respectful, all — train delays is nothing compared to someone’s life,” Mr Tizani said.
A NSW Police spokesman confirmed the man was struck and killed by the train about 4.45pm this afternoon.
“Emergency services were called to Granville station after reports a person struck and killed by westbound train,” the spokesman said.
“Initial inquires suggest person’s death was not suspicious and a report will be prepared for the coroner.
“At this stage while inquiries continue and the body is removed from the track were cannot comment any further.
“Currently two of four lines are closed and commuters are asked to be patient with the delays.”
Sydney Trains has issued alerts via social media confirming there will be major delays throughout the night on the Western and North Shore lines.
Delays on the Western Line are being compounded by rugby league fans trying to get the Rabbitohs and Gold Coast Titans NRL match at ANZ Stadium.
Fans are being advised to leave plenty of time to get to the game and use alternative forms of public transport such as buses and to check the Transport NSW website for the latest updates to public transport services.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... a179cb34af
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Some strange running on the north today.

Central Coast trains are using the suburban platforms at central (16-18). Trackwork info on the website and apps says they extend to and from North Sydney, or go around the City Circle - for which I had assumed meant stopping at all stations, but the actual stopping pattern in the app shows express to and from North Sydney (not stopping at Town Hall and Wynyard!) Despite this, the actual train I was on was announced as terminating at Central and ran empty to North Sydney then actually up to Chatswood and back (looking on the tripview map).

The following train on the platform 16 indicators was to Hornsby, showing as stopping all stations to North Sydney then only stopping at Chatswood then Hornsby. But the real time app showed the same train as all stops running 18 minutes late. When I checked again it got to Hornsby only 4 late, so must have skipped as per indicators. The real time app was never updated though which surprised me because we always get told the app is most upto date info.

The app however is showing that the 16:11 from Gosford will be diverted down the north shore line, making additional stops at Chatswood, North Sydney, then all stations to Central. Due to an operational issue is the only info given. I'm actually impressed with that stopping pattern change, better than skipping the city underground stops!
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

andy_centralcoast wrote:The real time app was never updated though which surprised me because we always get told the app is most upto date info.
Usually, provided the responsible employee is notified. Some changes may not make it.
M 5885.
Bjwh86

Post by Bjwh86 »

Got a question:
When a train is approaching the platform and suddenly stops and makes a loud hissing sound, what is that about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boronia

Post by boronia »

Possibly approaching a red light too fast, and the signal trips have not reset, thus causing an emergency brake application.
@ The Museum of Fire.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

Mr Twig wrote: People waiting there would've eventually caught a train replacement bus.
Well you seem remarkably confident about that... I wasn't.

They might also have been waiting five hours at the station for the next train.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

A number of unusual sightings on Saturday.

The trackwork posters indicated changes to the operation of Blue Mountains and Central Coast trains. The explanation on the posters was a bit obscure and uninformative. I don't recall the exact words now, but it said Central Coast trains might be operating from North Sydney. This seemed unclear to me. Were they going to operate from North Sydney via Central, Strathfield and Epping to Gosford, or direct from North Sydney to Gosford via Chatswood ?

I observed a V set travelling south over the Harbour Bridge at about 7:15 on Saturday, there seemed to be quite a few passengers on it, more than one would expect for a service originating from North Sydney.

Later on, I caught a train at Circular Quay, and while I was there I saw four trains stopped ( the one I just missed, then two going the other way, and then the one I caught ). They had barricades on the platforms and dozens of workers controlling them. They seemed to be quite well organised and it didn't look like they were going anywhere soon. It was not very busy. Yet when I got to Wynyard three minutes later, they were announcing on both levels that trains were not stopping at Circular Quay. I doubt this was true. It's never a good look to be lying to the customers. It brings the authority of the staff into disrepute, and then next time they wonder why people are disinclined to follow instructions.

Meanwhile, on the upper level at Wynyard, V-sets passed in both directions, and did not stop.

I then caught a Macquarie line service to Artarmon. When I returned to Artarmon station a few minutes later, a train went through the station without stopping, with the destination "Chatswood". It had customers on it. A normal train towards Hornsby arrived two minutes later, and when it got to Chatswood, there was nothing to be seen of the preceding train. While waiting for that second train, announcements were being made that the next train at Platform 1 ( towards the city ) would not stop. This train was observed about halfway between Artarmon and Chatswood, and it was a Tangara. I don't know why it wasn't intended to stop at Artarmon.

The week before, I caught a train going to Hornsby from Platform 3 at Town Hall. About half way between Town Hall and Wynyard, the guard announced that the train would not be going to Circular Quay. Well that's good then, I'd be alarmed if it could.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

If I recall there was news about certain train restrictions at Circular Quay on Saturday night the last night of Vivid on the Vivid notice on Transport Info which is now gone of course.
Living in the Shire.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

I think that trains were only stopping at Circular Quay, for people to get on.

What they probably wanted, was for people travelling TO Circular Quay, to get off at St James or Wynyard, and then walk to Circular Quay. On the previous weekend, there were announcements at Town Hall station basically telling people to catch a train on either line to Wynyard, and then walk to Circular Quay.

From Wynyard, this is not a big ask, assuming that you know your way around the streets downtown, which not everybody showing up for vivid necessarily would. It's a fair hike from St James, though. It's quite a bit further from Wynyard.

If they had been ( probably accurately ) announcing that trains were only picking up passengers, and not setting them down, at Circular Quay, then you would have a lot of people either not understanding the announcement, or else ignoring the announcement and attempting to alight from the train there, anyway. So, I can see the rationale for them lying, but it is still not a good look, if they want to maintain credibility later.
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

One way to circumvent this ethical dilemma, would be to announce on the T1 trains, "to see Vivid, get off the train at Wynyard and walk down George st", without mentioning Circular Quay at all, and without the usual announcement on the T1 trains to "change at Wynyard for Circular Quay".

Doing this, would not be lying, and would reduce the passenger workload at Circular Quay. Passengers on the normal lines using the City Circle would be harder to fool.
boronia

Post by boronia »

How difficult would it be to stop people getting off at CQ? Announcements on trains tend to be not listened to, or not understood; same on the platforms to some extent if they are not clear DVAs.

[When my train got terminated at Parramatta on Friday evening, I certainly wasn't paying attention for instructions about changing lines, until I noticed the large number people getting off. Even then, many people just stayed there until staff came on board and asked them to leave]

It might be easier to stop people boarding at CQ, and have them walk to Wynyard to catch their trains home.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Aurora

Post by Aurora »

Trains were 'pick up' only at Quay between 6 and 10pm.
M 5885.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”