Remnant routes that can be rationalised

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Re: Remnant routes that can be rationalised

Post by Fleet Lists »

I thought he meant from Miranda firstly to Yowie Bay and then via the 993 to Woronora Heights.
Living in the Shire.
jake_s_258

Post by jake_s_258 »

Fleet Lists wrote:I thought he meant from Miranda firstly to Yowie Bay and then via the 993 to Woronora Heights.
Yes that's right - from Miranda do the Yowie Bay loop through to Sylvania Road (the existing 973), then turn left onto President Avenue and continue on the existing 993 route to loop around Woronora Heights, then back again and turn right from President Avenue into Sylvania Road and do the 973 Yowie Bay essentially in reverse and continue onto Miranda.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Overall I dont think it would achieve much except confusion on the Yowie Bay loop as to whether it was a bus going to Miranda or to Woronora Heights. And you cant do Yowie Bay loop in opposite directions.
Living in the Shire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Indeed. Anyway, whatever the patronage, punters hate nothing more than to detour out of their way when they can almost 'see' their destination.
thunderbird

Post by thunderbird »

Definitely do not agree with merging 973 and 993 together. In my opinion removing 993 altogether east of Sutherland station is appropriate.

Despite some half baked attempts to put small blue and yellow bus stop signs sporadically, President Avenue has poorly marked bus stops the entire length of the 993 route. It doesn't seem to me the intention from the company has ever been to provide a service to people boarding on President Avenue, only a link to Westfield for Loftus Yarrawarrah and Engadine commuters.

I agree with others on this board who would also curtail 961/962 at Sutherland and also 962 at Padstow. 962 to Bankstown is duplicated by M92, and 961/962 to Miranda/Cronulla is duplicated by the railway. I can understand there was a time and a place for a direct service from Menai to Miranda, but now that trains operate every 15 minutes to Miranda/Cronulla from Sutherland and there is a transfer rebate to encourage people to change modes, there is much less of a reason than before to have buses continue East of Sutherland.

I personally would like to see those resources put to better use elsewhere.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Keep in mind that 961/962 do not only carry passengers from Menai to Miranda but also serve stops for passengers not within walking distance of the various stations between Sutherland and Miranda.
Living in the Shire.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

Cut the 915 as it follows the same route as the M92 between Lidcombe station Lidcombe tafe and university of Sydney Cumberland campus where it loops back to Lidcombe station and transfer the 487 to region 5 from region 6 as it mostly runs though the region 5 operating area
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

915 is there to cater for a specific high volume load between Lidcombe and the University which the M92 could not cater for. They cut the 915 once with unsatisfactory results.

And the 487 is more in region 6 than in region 5. The area between Belmore and Roselands is very much a shared/boundary between the two regions.
Living in the Shire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

jake_s_258 wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote:I thought he meant from Miranda firstly to Yowie Bay and then via the 993 to Woronora Heights.
Yes that's right - from Miranda do the Yowie Bay loop through to Sylvania Road (the existing 973), then turn left onto President Avenue and continue on the existing 993 route to loop around Woronora Heights, then back again and turn right from President Avenue into Sylvania Road and do the 973 Yowie Bay essentially in reverse and continue onto Miranda.
Sorry I misunderstood you at first.

However I think you would find that your suggestion would actually increase costs because the bus would loop (most of) Yowie Bay twice each hour instead of the present loop once.
Richard290
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B8RLE Volgren Optimus

Post by Richard290 »

For Victoria Road, I would discontinue route 508. Currently route 508 only runs one outbound trip from Town Hall Stand K departing at 17:22 and runs to Drummoyne Ave (near the eastern approach to the Gladesville Bridge), even though there is already the more frequent M50 which terminates a few blocks away at Drummoyne Oval, not to mention routes 500-507, 515 & 518 which stop nearby on Victoria Rd.
Living at the north end of the 513 & 535. and the confluence of 513, 535, 546, 549, 550, 553, 625 & 630.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

But it runs 4 morning trips in the other direction.
Living in the Shire.
Campbelltown busboy

Make the 963 Sutherland to Alfreds Point via Menai or Menai to Padstow via Alfred's Point etherway the 963 would give the people of Alfreds point a limited direct bus service to a train station or have the 962 do the Alfred's Point loop
Richard290

Post by Richard290 »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:Make the 963 Sutherland to Alfreds Point via Menai or Menai to Padstow via Alfred's Point etherway the 963 would give the people of Alfreds point a limited direct bus service to a train station or have the 962 do the Alfred's Point loop
*I think you meant Alfords Point. But otherwise you have a valid proposal.
Living at the north end of the 513 & 535. and the confluence of 513, 535, 546, 549, 550, 553, 625 & 630.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

I'm surprised route 543 (West Ryde - Denistone West - Eastwood) hasn't been renumbered as some school service, considering the timetable says it only runs on school days, and it runs 1 AM and 1 PM service each way.
To consolidate it is a bit trickier, as the West Ryde to Denistone West section doesn't have any nearby services (the 544 runs the same route Denistone West to Eastwood though, with one small exception near Eastwood).
Richard290 wrote:For Victoria Road, I would discontinue route 508.
Wasn't the route 508 only kept for (allegedly) political reasons given some residents down on Drummoyne Ave fought to keep it (I think it was this very board that I saw it mentioned).
Yes I agree it seems a bit out of place though but like the 502 from Bayview Park, must serve some purpose (in the case of the 502, ferries don't call at Bayview Park any more).
Richard290 wrote:
Campbelltown busboy wrote:Make the 963 Sutherland to Alfreds Point via Menai or Menai to Padstow via Alfred's Point etherway the 963 would give the people of Alfreds point a limited direct bus service to a train station or have the 962 do the Alfred's Point loop
*I think you meant Alfords Point. But otherwise you have a valid proposal.
I seem to recall once upon a time (back in Southtrans days at least) that Alfords Point had a semi-regular service to either Sutherland or Padstow (it has a few peak period services going to Padstow now - may have been Sutherland in the past) - the routing escapes me but given the "branch" routes in that area (Hall Drive, Bignell St, Alfords Point) it must be tricky to plan out routes (I wonder what the patronage on the existing services is like now out of Alfords Point - that would determine if it were viable to even consider this).
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
robert

Post by robert »

pgt wrote:I seem to recall once upon a time (back in Southtrans days at least) that Alfords Point had a semi-regular service to either Sutherland or Padstow (it has a few peak period services going to Padstow now - may have been Sutherland in the past) - the routing escapes me but given the "branch" routes in that area (Hall Drive, Bignell St, Alfords Point) it must be tricky to plan out routes (I wonder what the patronage on the existing services is like now out of Alfords Point - that would determine if it were viable to even consider this).
All covered in http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
See routes 960-3 in Region 10.

Sadly Alfords Point is a suburb with only one entry/exit point. Whatever diversion is made into the suburb means would be circuitous, adding a lot of unacceptable travel time for pax travelling from beyond the diversion.
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
Glen

Post by Glen »

robert wrote:Sadly Alfords Point is a suburb with only one entry/exit point. Whatever diversion is made into the suburb means would be circuitous, adding a lot of unacceptable travel time for pax travelling from beyond the diversion.
Also a fair portion of the relatively small suburb of Alfords Point is within walking distance of M92 & 962 services at the Old Illawarra Rd Roundabout, near the motorway overpass.
Glen

Post by Glen »

I've often wondered why those few remaining peak hour 600 services between Parramatta & Cherrybrook (2 x AM, 3 x PM) were not consolidated into the M60 route.

And whilst on that subject, I'm sure one day CDC will renumber the early morning / evening 600's between Parramatta & Castle Hill as short-running M60's, like they did with 610X & M61 recently.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

You could really serve Alfords Point with a single small bus just linking M62/962 at the Old Illawarra Road roundabout .
swtt

Post by swtt »

Glen wrote:I've often wondered why those few remaining peak hour 600 services between Parramatta & Cherrybrook (2 x AM, 3 x PM) were not consolidated into the M60 route.

And whilst on that subject, I'm sure one day CDC will renumber the early morning / evening 600's between Parramatta & Castle Hill as short-running M60's, like they did with 610X & M61 recently.
I have a suspicion back then when the M routes were introduced, that anything less than a 30 min frequency retained its old route number to avoid "contaminating" the brand.

(which they subsequently have anyway with 30 min frequencies now on M41 after 8 pm, as well as M90 etc etc)
Glen

Post by Glen »

swtt wrote:
Glen wrote:I've often wondered why those few remaining peak hour 600 services between Parramatta & Cherrybrook (2 x AM, 3 x PM) were not consolidated into the M60 route.

I have a suspicion back then when the M routes were introduced, that anything less than a 30 min frequency retained its old route number to avoid "contaminating" the brand.

(which they subsequently have anyway with 30 min frequencies now on M41 after 8 pm, as well as M90 etc etc)
M90 and M91 were introduced on 'Metrobus frequencies' during the operating hours of the 'Metrobus brand', but services on the corridors outside those hours also carried the M numbers.
Campbelltown busboy

Split the M91 back into region 13 route 910 between Bankstown and Parramtta and region 10 route 948 between Bankstown and Hurstville
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Why??? That does not make sense.
Living in the Shire.
robert

Post by robert »

Campbelltown busboy wrote:Split the M91 back into region 13 route 910 between Bankstown and Parramtta and region 10 route 948 between Bankstown and Hurstville
Why indeed? Almost all the M routes and now many other routes pass through more than one contract area. Nothing wrong with that - it gives more travel options to pax.
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
Mr Twig

Post by Mr Twig »

On the Central Coast, The totally useless route 41 that can be absorbed by the 55, 70 and 34.
Richard290

Post by Richard290 »

Route 294 on Epping Road is another odd route. Even though the timetable says it is runs between Macquarie University and Wynyard via Freeway, there are currently three outbound trips in the AM peak, and half of the inbound trips are supplementary AM peak services originating from Mowbray Road to complement the existing 288 and 292 services in the AM peak, with only a few services originating from Macquarie Uni. There is even an oddball inbound PM peak service departing Macquarie Uni at 5:02pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”