STA Privatisation / Franchising

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Stu

Re: STA Privatisation / Franchising

Post by Stu »

I often wonder if route 418 will ever run close to timetable in the peak periods as this service has become worse year on year. The state government has invested so much money in this service by increasing the frequency, more peak services and extending the evening operating hours, yet no money has been spent on re-routing , road infrastructure or priority to benefit the service. Last year STA have had to te-think the way buses are scheduled - less driver relief at Sydenham and more dead running between Tempe Depot and Burwood. This is costly although allows the driver to at least depart the terminus on time, complaints are reduced and overtime claims / amounts are reduced.

Maybe the government will simply say enough is enough and split the route in two. Route 418 could operate between Kingsford & Burwood and then re-instate the former 357 to operate between Kingsford & Bondi Jct. This hypothetical scenario still doesn't solve the traffic congestion problem beteeen Rosebery, Mascot & Sydenham.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

The 418 will probably never run to time just like the 370.Though the 370 does seem like an easier problem to solve. The idea I can think of is having the 418 terminate at Mascot. Maybe having more clearways along Gardeners Rd between Botany Rd & Southern Cross Drive the biggest issue is between Sydenham Station & Mascot Station.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

Frosty wrote:The 418 will probably never run to time just like the 370.Though the 370 does seem like an easier problem to solve. The idea I can think of is having the 418 terminate at Mascot. Maybe having more clearways along Gardeners Rd between Botany Rd & Southern Cross Drive the biggest issue is between Sydenham Station & Mascot Station.
I think the best solution for the 418 is to spilt it back up into the 357 between BJI and Sydenham and the 418 between Tempe and Burwood. Would give STA and TSA a half each and hopefully improve on-time running.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
J_Busworth

Post by J_Busworth »

I'm hearing rumours that some cross region routes shared by R6 and the regions will be given to just one region in the timetable and shift changes upcoming on May 6. As I mentioned in the observation thread, some L drivers have been told their last day for 370s is May 5 and that R9 will have all 370s in the new timetable.
LongliveSTA

Post by LongliveSTA »

Frosty wrote:The 418 will probably never run to time just like the 370.Though the 370 does seem like an easier problem to solve. The idea I can think of is having the 418 terminate at Mascot. Maybe having more clearways along Gardeners Rd between Botany Rd & Southern Cross Drive the biggest issue is between Sydenham Station & Mascot Station.
The 418's on time running has improved drastically since the run times were updated. However TfNSW will not spend the money to update the 370's peak time run times, if they did, it would become a lot more reliable.

Going by the timetable, during the peak the 370 is 9 minutes quicker end to end, than in the middle of the day :shock: :shock:
LONG LIVE STA, the best bus operator in AUSTRALIA!!
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ The timetable difference would reflect the clear ways in certain areas, in particular Kings St (St. Peter's) to City Rd near Broadway shops. Throughout the numerous service increases in recent years, TfNSW continue to insist that all new peak hour services operate end-to-end, no short workings.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I just noted that the 6th May timetable for route M20 has an internal code of 18 which denotes the Eastern Region instead of 15 which denotes the Western Region which it had previously.
Living in the Shire.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Fleet Lists wrote:I just noted that the 6th May timetable for route M20 has an internal code of 18 which denotes the Eastern Region instead of 15 which denotes the Western Region which it had previously.
Another opportunity for P to create more excitement in the bus rostering? I'm sure the passengers would hate to see red artics all day :roll:
Ray

Post by Ray »

389 is currently code 18 despite being an L route.
Go Cats.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Tonymercury wrote: Another opportunity for P to create more excitement in the bus rostering? I'm sure the passengers would hate to see red artics all day :roll:
Be grateful they don't have VSTMs.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Ray wrote:389 is currently code 18 despite being an L route.
I cant see it being an L route as from 1 July.
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Fleet Lists wrote:
Ray wrote:389 is currently code 18 despite being an L route.
I cant see it being an L route as from 1 July.
I thought the 440 and 389 were truncated so they could be kept as L routes?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Ray

Post by Ray »

Exactly - otherwise why bother taking W off the route in the first place?
Go Cats.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

We will have to wait and see I guess - it seems to be taking a long time to get some official advice as to what routes are going where.
Living in the Shire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I thought the 440 and 389 were truncated so they could be kept as L routes?
Why would L keep the 389? It was stretched into L territory from W territory.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Fleet Lists wrote:I just noted that the 6th May timetable for route M20 has an internal code of 18 which denotes the Eastern Region instead of 15 which denotes the Western Region which it had previously.
That is odd as the m20 has been attached to P-Depot for the past 5 years. Willoughby Depot was the most recent depot to be added which was from the October 2015 network changes.

Rumours surrounding this route involve truncation at Zetland and being operated by Region 6.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

The thing with the m20 geographically speaking it doesn’t operate within Region 6. Interestingly the closest bus depot to Zetland is Randwick. I can see if the m20 is operated by Region 6 it could be done with T & L.

Since there was an earlier rumour that m10 would go to Region 6 so P loses both of its metrobus routes possibly.

I’m like left thinking what cross regional routes currently shared with Region 6 will STA have my bet it’s all the bad performers like the 400 & 370.
J_Busworth

Post by J_Busworth »

Frosty wrote:The thing with the m20 geographically speaking it doesn’t operate within Region 6. Interestingly the closest bus depot to Zetland is Randwick. I can see if the m20 is operated by Region 6 it could be done with T & L.

Since there was an earlier rumour that m10 would go to Region 6 so P loses both of its metrobus routes possibly.

I’m like left thinking what cross regional routes currently shared with Region 6 will STA have my bet it’s all the bad performers like the 400 & 370.
370, 400, 418, and any other cross regional route with absolutely shocking on-time running stats I'd expect STA to retain. Metrobus and decently reliable routes are likely to go to TSA imo. Then when complaints inevitability drop as all the routes with high complaint levels (the reason for the privatisation) are still with STA, Constance and friends will claim a big success on reducing complaints through privatisation or franchising or whatever it actually is that they are doing.

I just wish they would hurry up and post a list of routes that are R6 or not or something else like that. Unfortunately, I have a feeling it could be late June before we truely know.

Also, out of curiosity, how do you find these internal codes for the timetables?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Look up the timetable and the first two characters in the URL for the pdf before the route number.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I heard a story from a source which is not necessarily reliable that some routes such as the 400 will be shared between STA and Transit Systems from July until at least September using current schedules and timetables.
Living in the Shire.
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ This wouldn't surprise me as the issue of splitting up the 400/410 has encountered delays for some reason or reasons, there will definitely be more timetable changes after July. I would take an educated guess at saying that staffing levels may play a part in this situation.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

TSA or STA,Stu ??
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ STA are short of drivers across all regions, especially Region 6 which was already short before the announcement of franchising. There has been a freeze for drivers transferring out of R6 for some time now to prevent the staffing levels falling, the hemoraging still continues so I would hate to imagine the results if there was no transfer freeze.
TSA are not short of drivers in R3 and have been attempting to recruit interstate from SA and overseas from NZ.

TfNSW need to hand over a viable business to TSA and there were rumours suggesting that TSA would not take on R6 if there were not enough drivers. Late last year the recruitment process for STA (through TfNSW / TSS) was reworked and streamlined to speed up the intake of drivers. There is one particular factor that has a quick and devastating effect on staffing levels, that is new timetables - frequency increases and individual service increases. Last year there were three major timetable changes (Feb / June / Nov) so the shortage of drivers increases and you can never jump on top of the issue.

I wonder what the threshold is for the absolute minimum staffing level that is considered acceptable for taking on a business from a previous owner? If R6 were to operate 100% the 400 then that would be a huge undertaking from a staffing point of view. Maybe TSA have agreed to take on R6 with a driver shortage (at a certain agreed level) and have the split up of routes 400/410 delayed as a result. The govt has an endless pitt of money (tax payers) so paying to cover shifts that are required for the day is no issue, however for a private operator to cover shifts that are required for the day the money comes out of the companies own pocket.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks Stu for the detailed reply.It's a very interesting situation.Presumably there are clauses in the contract relating to a minimum handover staffing level.
Do you know what the establishment number for drivers in region 6 is ?? Seems like TSA will have to rework rosters to try to obtain greater productivity from their drivers.
Go Bus,Pavlovich and Ritchies in New Zealand are searching overseas for drivers for the recently won Auckland route contracts.
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ I'm unsure about the establishment numbers although TfNSW are directing a large number of new staff into Region 6 whilst the other regions only receive a trickle.

Regarding rostering when TSA assume control:

http://stayinformed.transport.nsw.gov.a ... ALv2.0.pdf
Region 6 Information Bulletin Issue 11. (page 2)
Will there be any changes to my working arrangements, such as rosters?
Any changes to working arrangements, including changes to rosters, will only be done in
consultation with staff and unions and in accordance with the relevant Award or Enterprise
Agreement and policies in place at the time.
Applicable for 6 months
- Deport Clerk Roster Manual
Depending on the staffing level at the 1st of July, if the level was still not as satisfactory as TSA would otherwise prefer, it wouldn't surprise me if TSA were to enter into negotiations with staff & rtbu. Although it wouldn't be wise to upset the apple cart so early in the picture especially when drivers have an 18 month employment & conditions guarantee, maybe some minor changes to target problem areas.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”