STA Privatisation / Franchising

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
burrumbus

Re: STA Privatisation / Franchising

Post by burrumbus »

Only one Poncho thus far with Punchbowl on the Bankstown Hospital on demand service.I've checked this out and its a neat little bus.Only drawback is quite uncomfortable seats.
Clarks in Brisbane also have one for a new route out of Beenleigh.
The only 2 we know of thus far,Boronia.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

So what other Hino fits the spec?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

The Poncho is the only one to meet the spec,Boronia,that I am aware of.
Stu

Post by Stu »

It will be interesting to see what happens to these school services. Will some be absorbed into Region 6 and will the numbering system for R6 be changed in the near future.

Western Region school routes operated by Southern Region depots.
B-Depot: 580w 581w 595w
K-Depot: 568w (spl back to Janet & Clements St's, Drummoyne to operate a short working 492)
L-Depot: 565w 566w 590w 706w 707w 765w
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

We can look forward to a fascinating 2nd 1/2 of 2018.
Speculation can't match being there!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Stu wrote:There will be a meeting occurring next week between TfNSW, STA & TSA to discuss the final arrangements regarding the splitting up of routes between Region 6, Region 7 & Region 9.
If that meeting is to take place what is now this week, I cant see them having all timetables ready by the end of this week if they are to be up on Transport Info two weeks before 1st April.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Stu wrote:It will be interesting to see what happens to these school services. Will some be absorbed into Region 6 and will the numbering system for R6 be changed in the near future.

K-Depot: 568w (spl back to Janet & Clements St's, Drummoyne to operate a short working 492)
Interesting lot of routes there - most could be either W or S.

I could not find 568W or 765W on Transport Info - in the case of 568W it could be 568S which could go on to do the 492 short working.

I guess it will be to Transit Systems whether they renumber the school routes - they use a four digit number system in Region 3.
In Newcastle while Newcastle Transport (Keolis Downer) have changed the public route system, I believe the school route numbers have not been changed.
Living in the Shire.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

Fleet Lists wrote:
Stu wrote:There will be a meeting occurring next week between TfNSW, STA & TSA to discuss the final arrangements regarding the splitting up of routes between Region 6, Region 7 & Region 9.
If that meeting is to take place what is now this week, I cant see them having all timetables ready by the end of this week if they are to be up on Transport Info two weeks before 1st April.
The reorganisation is now believed to be scheduled for May.
J_Busworth
Favourite Vehicle: Scania L113TRB Ansair Orana

Post by J_Busworth »

Daniel wrote:
Fleet Lists wrote: If that meeting is to take place what is now this week, I cant see them having all timetables ready by the end of this week if they are to be up on Transport Info two weeks before 1st April.
The reorganisation is now believed to be scheduled for May.
Does this mean that the run changes to make all the TSA routes R6 only runs will occur in May?
Last edited by J_Busworth on Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://transportnswblog.com
RIP STA L113s 28/01/93 - 12/01/22
Stu

Post by Stu »

Fleet Lists wrote:
Stu wrote:It will be interesting to see what happens to these school services. Will some be absorbed into Region 6 and will the numbering system for R6 be changed in the near future.

I could not find 568W or 765W on Transport Info - in the case of 568W it could be 568S which could go on to do the 492 short working.

I guess it will be to Transit Systems whether they renumber the school routes - they use a four digit number system in Region 3.
In Newcastle while Newcastle Transport (Keolis Downer) have changed the public route system, I believe the school route numbers have not been changed.
I'll check up on those school routes as there may have been some changes in recent school terms that I was not aware of.
Last edited by Stu on Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

J_Busworth wrote:
Daniel wrote: The reorganisation is now believed to be scheduled for May.
Does this mean that there would be run changes to make all the TSA routes R6 only runs?
YES, YES we have been posting that for some time now. TSA will only be region 6 so quite a few run changes are required where routes are operated from more than one STA depot. That is what this reorganisation is about.
Living in the Shire.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Fleet Lists wrote:

598s - I made the mistake of mistyping as 568. It would appear that the 'w' was dropped some time ago and replaced with 's',
765s was scrapped last year and the last day of operation was Fri 24/02/2017. This route operated from Concord Hospital to Concord (Burwood & Parramatta Rd's).
595w was returned to Y some time ago.

The remaining numbers are all still in existence as operating out of Region 6.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

There are both
598s Earlwood to Hunters Hill High
598w St. Patricks, Dundas to Macarthur GHS
Living in the Shire.
Stu

Post by Stu »

^ I now remember why I accidentally typed 568w, it was due to having a flash back.

When the STA school routes were changed at the beginning of 2016, the 612b (Earlwood to Hunters Hill High) became the 568w, this was only for a short time, from Wed 27/01/2016 - Wed 16/03/2016. From the 17/03/2016 the route number was changed to 598s, effectively being transferred back to the Southern region after a short stint as being classified as a Western region route
Stu

Post by Stu »

This topic has gone quiet for a while, time to inject some life.

Region 6 School services.
Current school services have an 's' affixed at the end of the three digit number, the 's' identifies (South) STA Southern Region as an internal operational name although is officially known as Region 6. The school services were re-numbered in 2016 for the following reasons:
- duplication of numbers (without letters) within regions. (Example multiple 692 services)
- duplication of numbers (without letters) across regions. (Example multiple 692 services)
- easier for the Opal system to interpret individual trips.

Potential changes.
Example number: 730s. Remove 's' and add 6 which denotes the region.

Thought & ideas?

Routes 415, 490 & 492.
There have been rumours surrounding these routes since before the announcement of franchising Region 6.
Routes 389 & 440 are both cross regional services that underwent an overhaul during the last timetable changes, briefly speaking, what once were single seat trips to and from the Eastern Suburbs and City CBD now requires passengers to change at BJI for another bus or train. This ideology mainly addresses the the previous reliability issues and rather than upgrade road infrastructure to create bus priority, the service is simply truncated with a new service commencing to fill in the area of truncation. TfNSW must have realised that through-routing / cross-regional services have limitations and I wonder if this procedure can potentially be applied to other regions/areas/routes?

The rumours surrounding routes 415, 490 & 492 involve truncating services at Burwood. Services between Burwood to both Drummoyne and Chiswick respectively via Five Dock are unreliable and with much duplication since the introduction of route 530.
- 415, 461 & 530: same route between Burwood Stn & Five Dock (Parramatta & Harris Rd's).
- 415 & 530: same route - Five Dock (Harris Rd, Garfield St & Great Nth Rd near Lyons Rd).
- 492 & 530: same route - Five Dock to Drummoyne (Great Nth Rd near Garfield St and then Lyons Rd).

The loadings between Drummoyne and Burwood via Five Dock are low, most passengers boarding around Drummoyne & Russell Lea are locals travelling short distances. Drummoyne has plenty of services to the City. The same can be said about route 415 between Chiswick & Burwood, rarely any passengers travel from or beyond Burwood. The patronage on the 415 since its extension between Burwood & Chiswick in 2010 has not seen much growth, almost stagnant and further quelled by the introduction of route 530.

I would much prefer to see road infrastructure upgrades such as more lanes, bus lanes, priority etc of which would allow cross-regional and through-routing services to have a better chance at running on time compared to truncating services.
If such changes were to be implemented then they may look like the following which is simply my own idea and certainly open to scrutiny and criticism.
- 415 & 492 to terminate at Burwood.
- NEW route (416?) to operate between Burwood & Chiswick via Canada Bay to Five Dock much like the former 409 used to operate. Part of the 415 was to replace the 409 although some genius decided to create a more 'direct' service between Burwood & Five Dock via Parramatta Rd.
- 490 to remain as is to continue through the current shared path of the 492 and due to no other route operating between Five Dock & Drummoyne via Rodd Pt.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Probably all quiet because there is nothing to report. There are probably lots of rumours and avenues to play fantasy transport planner. but until something concrete surfaces, is all heresay. Eleven weeks out, the final decisions have probably been made, but as it isn't public knowledge, unlikely that anyone will leak it here.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Stu wrote:This topic has gone quiet for a while, time to inject some life.

Region 6 School services.
Current school services have an 's' affixed at the end of the three digit number, the 's' identifies (South) STA Southern Region as an internal operational name although is officially known as Region 6. The school services were re-numbered in 2016 for the following reasons:
- duplication of numbers (without letters) within regions. (Example multiple 692 services)
- duplication of numbers (without letters) across regions. (Example multiple 692 services)
- easier for the Opal system to interpret individual trips.
It was not just Opal but also the Transport Info timetables. And this got worse when the Sydney Buses website was abolished - it provided information on multiple route numbers and where they operated but this was lost. I raised that on a number of occasions but no action resulted. At least the suffix solved some of these problems.

I suspect that initially Transit Systems will retain the current route numbers both for general and school routes to minimize confusion. In Newcastle the old State Transit school numbers were not changed even in the reorganisation in January this year.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

I had a look at current Transit Systems school route numbers which appear to be either three digits or four digits starting with a 9, so no region number involved.
Living in the Shire.
BanksfielderIdiot823
Favourite Vehicle: Volgrens and Ford Falcons

Post by BanksfielderIdiot823 »

Fleet Lists wrote:I had a look at current Transit Systems school route numbers which appear to be either three digits or four digits starting with a 9, so no region number involved.
Yeah, TSA uses 4 digits for its Region 3 school runs, starting with either 9 or 7. What I know so far is the greater majority of 9xxx routes are in the Fairfield and Liverpool areas while those around Parramatta and the former Holroyd LGA have the 7xxx routes with only very few 9xxx routes.
Volgren all day, every day
Dear T80; If the decker's not a Volgren, I'm not interested.
Westbus Fairfield + Dandy Hub = perfection
Good old Collingwood forever.
Long live the potato cake.
J_Busworth

Post by J_Busworth »

I hope for the sake of the thoughtless school kids that they don't change the bus numbers again. Last time when STA renumbered all the routes, there were some issues and confusion at less prepared schools.

I'm just sitting here waiting to see how much worse the 370 could possibly be made. I presume STA and TSA wouldn't share a route, right? It would sure help on the dead running fro some of the Cross Country routes.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

J_Busworth wrote: I presume STA and TSA wouldn't share a route, right? It would sure help on the dead running fro some of the Cross Country routes.
That has been said a number of times in this thread but we will have to wait and see. Hopefully we will know shortly.
Living in the Shire.
J_Busworth

Re: STA Observations - January to June 2018

Post by J_Busworth »

I saw some notices regarding changes to Route 422 starting in May along King Street today. Didn't see the whole message (I was on the 370), but it looks like it is getting truncated at Railway Square alongside other route changes. Does anyone here know more?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

As I suspect this will be part of the region 6 privatisation changes which are due in May, I have moved the above post to this thread to prevent any duplication of such material in more than one thread.
Living in the Shire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

At least TSA will more likely apply TNSW livery instead of the outdated corporate V2.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Stu

Re: STA Observations - January to June 2018

Post by Stu »

J_Busworth wrote:I saw some notices regarding changes to Route 422 starting in May along King Street today. Didn't see the whole message (I was on the 370), but it looks like it is getting truncated at Railway Square alongside other route changes. Does anyone here know more?
Since 2013 there has been talk about city services approaching from the West to terminate at Railway Sq / Central before the CSELR is operational, customers will then have to transfer from bus to tram to complete their journey into the city cbd. I haven't seen anything official as yet. With regards to more servicre terminating at Central which is already quite congested with traffic I think that a through-routing service may be an option. Some services are rumoured to be modified after July 1st, long after the division/segregation/allocation of routes between STA & TSA.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”