530 Chatswood to Burwood and other changes from 4th June.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
burrumbus

Re: 530 Chatswood to Burwood and other changes from 4th June

Post by burrumbus »

Not certain about current patronage in Boronia Park,Glen, ,but the numbers in previous years from Boronia Park to Lane Cove and Chatswood were not paticularly high.Did Ken Butt ever give you the effects on the pax numbers on the reorganizations you did for him ??
That would be interesting,although as Robert said above the area has changed greatly.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

I'll put it down to a last minute change of bus, but noticed the 530 at 1931 heading to Five Dock (the short working at that time) was Leichhardt's 3650 - not exactly a wheelchair accessible bus as per timetable (hence the last minute change comment).
Wonder if there was such a change?

As for the reason for said changes, I would have thought it was more for the 252 to cover but the new unit developments on Burns Bay Road down past Cope St (towards Linley Point) might be one reason for needing increased services there (particularly past Cope St since there have been no city buses since the old 254 stopped going that far down).
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Glen

Post by Glen »

burrumbus wrote:Not certain about current patronage in Boronia Park,Glen, ,but the numbers in previous years from Boronia Park to Lane Cove and Chatswood were not paticularly high.Did Ken Butt ever give you the effects on the pax numbers on the reorganizations you did for him ??
Well 1990 was a long time ago! :)
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

I lived at Drummoyne for a while and would not have even considered that it was possible to travel from the Hunters Hill area to Chatswood or Lane Cove. To go anywhere on the north side, I would have gone to the cbd.
swtt

Post by swtt »

neilrex wrote:I lived at Drummoyne for a while and would not have even considered that it was possible to travel from the Hunters Hill area to Chatswood or Lane Cove. To go anywhere on the north side, I would have gone to the cbd.
About time this change was made then!
donotsmoke
Favourite Vehicle: 0405NH CNG

Post by donotsmoke »

I spotted a volvo volgren from Y doing 530 to Burwood at Lane Cove yesterday morning around 9:15.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Glen wrote:I understand that the 252's and 530's don't co-ordinate very well for off-peak pax travelling from the Boronia Park area to Chatswood (i.e. 17 - 20 minute transfers), where formerly they had a direct 536.

It will be interesting to see if this causes any flack.
burrumbus wrote:Not certain about current patronage in Boronia Park,Glen, ,but the numbers in previous years from Boronia Park to Lane Cove and Chatswood were not paticularly high.Did Ken Butt ever give you the effects on the pax numbers on the reorganizations you did for him ??
That would be interesting,although as Robert said above the area has changed greatly.
As long as you're going to Gladesville Town Centre or nearby and not Boronia Park or High Street area, it might be better to go to Drummoyne and transfer there.
flitter

Post by flitter »

The 530 this morning seems to have resumed the 536's 5 minute long loop around the top of Chatswood to Railway Street so I'm guessing RMS aren't going to speed the busses into Help Street :-(
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

flitter wrote: so I'm guessing RMS aren't going to speed the busses into Help Street :-(
Wouldn't do to establish a precedent!
Richard290
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B8RLE Volgren Optimus

Post by Richard290 »

STA has yet to update their Region 7 region guide. Still shows the changes from 5 September 2016 (rerouting 254 to McMahons Point, 290 to Erskine Street and addition of route 291 from Epping to McMahons Point).
http://www.sydneybuses.info/routes/1532 ... 160905.pdf
Living at the north end of the 513 & 535. and the confluence of 513, 535, 546, 549, 550, 553, 625 & 630.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Leichhardt's 2103 noted on a 530 today, so appears at least for the moment, region 6 have an involvement.
robert

Post by robert »

Linto63 wrote:Leichhardt's 2103 noted on a 530 today, so appears at least for the moment, region 6 have an involvement.
My brief observations show that Leichhardt does quite a few runs on 530. The day I travelled on it, L did the 1430 trip from Chatswood and changed drivers at Five Dock.
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Good stuff .What sort of loadings did it get Robert ?? It is interesting to check the loadings over a period of time.
robert

Post by robert »

burrumbus wrote:Good stuff .What sort of loadings did it get Robert ?? It is interesting to check the loadings over a period of time.
Hi Allan. Between Chatswood and Lane Cove West, there were 15 or so, who were no doubt ex-536 pax. Beyond there, it was lighter, with some possibly opportunistic pax between Five Dock and Burwood. One couple, obviously in the know, went from Chatswood to a residential stop in Five Dock.

Travelling along Parramatta Rd made me glad I don't have to go there normally!
For information about private & Government bus routes in Sydney, look at http://www.sydneybusroutes.com
burrumbus

Post by burrumbus »

Thanks Robert for your analysis.536 was allways a very strong route which will hopefully give the 530 a good base of patronage between Chatswood and Lane Cove West.Hopefully the route over time will find adequate patronage over the rest of the route to Burwood.I think it is a good idea as a whole,but it needs the running times to be reliable to give it a good chance to build patronage.If the run times aren't reliable the Chatswood-Lane Cove West patronage will leach away,especially on a half hourly off peak frequency.From what i've heard thus far the running times seem well organized.
Yes I'm glad I don't get to see Parramatta Road very often either !!! Just a mess !!
Enjoy your night
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

A couple of weeks back (didn't get to mention it until now) managed to try the 530 from Lane Cove to Burwood on a Saturday morning around 10am.

Arguably there were still the passengers between Lane Cove and Hunters Hill turn-off that would have been ex-536 passengers, but there were at least about 6-8 passengers going past Hunters Hill, so obviously getting a bit of traction.

Interestingly, I noticed while at the Hunters Hill turnoff, a 530 going the other way using the underpass instead of going up the exit ramp, then down the other side - then realised that it would have been relatively easy enough for the driver to see nobody was at the stop. (I can't remember if this visibility is possible on the Burwood bound run).
I do wonder what the rules say in this case - should the driver have used the ramp to go through the stop or is there a provision to bypass that stop (somehow I doubt it, but these days you never know).
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

pgt wrote:Interestingly, I noticed while at the Hunters Hill turnoff, a 530 going the other way using the underpass instead of going up the exit ramp, then down the other side - then realised that it would have been relatively easy enough for the driver to see nobody was at the stop. (I can't remember if this visibility is possible on the Burwood bound run).
I do wonder what the rules say in this case - should the driver have used the ramp to go through the stop or is there a provision to bypass that stop (somehow I doubt it, but these days you never know).
Some bus stops and routes in Singapore that use expressways are a bit like this, it's very annoying when it has to slow down, go up the ramp, wait at the traffic light and then go back down every single bloody time. Why didn't they build bus stops on the expressway instead like on the M2? There should be an M2 style provision for that Hunter Hills turnoff stop, especially given that there is ample space on the road for it.
robert

Post by robert »

A bus route is a bus route and should be followed precisely every trip, IMHO. That engenders certainty in passengers. And what about at night - I doubt a driver would have the visibility to see whether or not there are waiting pax at Hunters Hill.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Do what they used to do with optional stops on the railway...have a signal lamp that passengers activate if they are waiting for the bus. The driver could see it from a distance and turn off to the stop, No signal, no stop. A simple PIR detector could determine when people were in the shelter area, and turn on the light.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”