$1.7 billion order for new Waratah trains signed

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Linto63

Re: $1.7 billion order for new Waratah trains signed

Post by Linto63 »

Constance did a presser at Central with B25 today, so presumably its entry into service is imminent. Although notionally growth rather than replacement trains, wonder if the 17 new sets will result in a start being made on withdrawal of some of some K or V sets?
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

I guess new B sets may substitute some K/C sets rosters. However, for V sets, you probably need to wait till NIF in service.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

stupid_girl wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:42 pmHowever, for V sets, you probably need to wait till NIF in service.
Not necessarily, B sets could allow some H sets that operate suburban diagrams to be transferred to interurban duties releasing V sets, although agree is is less likely to happen.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

I hope not. I managed to score a V set both ways on the CCN line just over a week ago and they were the cleanest interiors I've seen in years and felt like executive class transport compared to the much maligned Oscars. I even saw another V set on the service I just missed before getting my one back to the CC.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

Linto63 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:05 pm
stupid_girl wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:42 pmHowever, for V sets, you probably need to wait till NIF in service.
Not necessarily, B sets could allow some H sets that operate suburban diagrams to be transferred to interurban duties releasing V sets, although agree is is less likely to happen.
For South Coast, there are no V sets anyway.

For Central Coast, I don't think there are purely suburban rosters for H sets. They may make an inter-peak suburban run to/from daytime stabling but it's difficult to reallocate them to take over V set rosters.
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

stupid_girl wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:46 pm
Linto63 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:05 pm Not necessarily, B sets could allow some H sets that operate suburban diagrams to be transferred to interurban duties releasing V sets, although agree is is less likely to happen.

For Central Coast, I don't think there are purely suburban rosters for H sets. They may make an inter-peak suburban run to/from daytime stabling but it's difficult to reallocate them to take over V set rosters.
There where a few morning peak all stop Hurstville to Bondi Junction services rostered as H sets back in 2017
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

Campbelltown busboy wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:08 pm

There where a few morning peak all stop Hurstville to Bondi Junction services rostered as H sets back in 2017
Did those H sets originate from South Coast earlier in the morning? If yes, then I would consider them as inter-peak suburban runs.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

In a previous timetable, they operated North Sydney to Penrith/Emu between peaks.You could catch services from Penrith to Wyong in the afternoon.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

IIRC, originally some H sets did were diagrammed to operate within Sydney, but as interurban services have been lengthened I think that may have stopped with the suburban services bring return workings of interurban services as suggested.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I think those H sets now lay up at Blacktown during the day.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

B25 was out and about on T2 services this afternoon, 1 down 16 to go.
Swift

Post by Swift »

In this age of our incredibly dull transport scene, it's good to be living in this time when they're still taking delivery of these trains brand new. I caught one of the first batch for the first time in maybe a couple of years and forgot the cool propulsion noise they make. No Millennium but closer than an unremarkable Oscar.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

boronia wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:34 pm
In a previous timetable, they operated North Sydney to Penrith/Emu between peaks.You could catch services from Penrith to Wyong in the afternoon.
They also operated in the early stages of the ECRL as shuttles between Epping and Chatswood and return. Not sure what happened after through running from Hornsby to the CBD started.
Rad

Post by Rad »

There are still a few South Coast services promised to be upgraded from 4 to 8 cars due to overcrowding in the past. These are currently H sets. Maybe a few extra cars will be found
http://www.guideposttours.com.au & www.guidepost-travel.com
Rail and Coach Tours Worldwide
Railway Adventures
MotorOmnibus8562
Favourite Vehicle: Hybrid/Electric lowfloors.

Post by MotorOmnibus8562 »

Rad wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:11 pm There are still a few South Coast services promised to be upgraded from 4 to 8 cars due to overcrowding in the past. These are currently H sets. Maybe a few extra cars will be found
Maybe Once the NIFs are in service.
Only Stupid people invented vapes.
Betting ads are pests
Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, Corn, A post on this thread, corn
Dyson's #463 - Beast! 8)
boronia

Post by boronia »

B26 now at auburn
@ The Museum of Fire.
Stonesourscotty
Favourite Vehicle: Wright Gemini 2 B9TL

Post by Stonesourscotty »

B26 on City Circle T2 Lates and B27 on test this evening both spotted at Lidcombe this evening.
boronia

Post by boronia »

@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

In both states the contracts were put in place before the present situation with China blew up. It would certainly be wise to ensure that no future contracts involve China.

Wait till the media works out that John Holland is a China-owned company.
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

...the government accepted assurances from China that train builder CRRC was not exploiting workers from the country's Uighur minority
Was this just a statement of assurance? Did they send in independent inspectors to do random unannounced checks?

I also wonder if exploitation of Uighur people would be the only issue. Do the workers (regardless of background) at CRCC enjoy the same or most working conditions as a worker would in Australia (assuming that Australian based employer would be compliant with WHS and Industrial Relations laws)
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote: Wait till the media works out that John Holland is a China-owned company.
I'm sure the major outlets are well aware of it, having reported its sale back in 2015 and its various contract wins since. Is seemingly getting some press because some knuckle-draggers at Sky News have cottoned on as part of their ill-informed 'Chairman Dan' campaign.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Thank heavens for Sky News exposing it. A very convenient white man's name for them to use too.
It's pretty self explanatory what working conditions must be like if it's so much cheaper to get it built there and shipped back over. Assurances don't hold any weight from there.
boronia

Post by boronia »

@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

and, mentioned in the comments (last paragraph):

https://sg.news.yahoo.com/us-sanctions- ... 40852.html

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”