Kurnell to La Perouse ferry

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: Kurnell to La Perouse ferry

Post by Swift »

Was the oil essentially pumped directly from the ship to the refinery via this jetty?
This jetty must have been of national importance.
Do they conduct tours of this jetty? It is heavily fortified from the shore end.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

The pipelines also served a number of distribution terminals around Banksmeadow - Matraville.

There was also provision for tankers to be unloaded while moored off-shore, mainly refined product.

Don't know about "tours", wouldn't be much to see.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Last time I went to Kurnell it looked really empty and just ugh. I would like to see a regeneration of Kurnell. Along with that the Botany/Banksmeadow area that's probably the ugliest part of the Eastern Suburbs.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

matthewg wrote: I imagine with the cessation of refining, 'finished' product will have to arrive by ship and I would assume they would use the jetty to unload those ships and use part of the refinery site as a distribution centre. The infrastructure is all there.
From what I have heard that will be the case. So the wharf will still be in use.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Frosty wrote:Last time I went to Kurnell it looked really empty and just ugh. I would like to see a regeneration of Kurnell. Along with that the Botany/Banksmeadow area that's probably the ugliest part of the Eastern Suburbs.
How long ago was that?
Living in the Shire.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

5-7 years ago years Fleet Lists. Though it is starting to look better from what I can see from the other side of the bay.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

There have obviously been a lot of changes since your visit so your comments on Kurnell would be well out date.
Living in the Shire.
Stu

Post by Stu »

boronia wrote:The pipelines also served a number of distribution terminals around Banksmeadow - Matraville.

There was also provision for tankers to be unloaded while moored off-shore, mainly refined product.

Don't know about "tours", wouldn't be much to see.

Some info on pipelines in Sydney.
http://freight.transport.nsw.gov.au/doc ... elines.pdf
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

As the local bus driver for 5 years as a casual.only the newsagent, doctor.butcher shop & small supermarket.bottleshop & post office & hair dresser were the only things in the small shopping centre.The service station owned by Caltex was only used by people who didn't work at Caltex & had the highest petrol prices.there is a caravan park at the end of the beach front, no pub but there is a small club on the grounds of Caltex witch the locals use! The first bus was 6.30am in the middle of the day it stopped for 2half hours.1 trip at 9.am went to sharks leauges club then crunulla staion & then to Miranda fair last bus at night left crunulla stn at 5.30p.m miss that bus it was a $90 doller trip as you had to pay return taxi trip & fare in advance,Because of so many runners.Sat Morning 2 trips 2 late in afternoon Sunday was 1 trip in morning 1 return in late afternoon this was sharded by kurnell/.crowthers &carringbah bus companys turn about as they did the kurnell.cronulla/& carringbah sunday routes as there were so few, each night CALTEX chartered a 2 buses for the change of shift at the refinery. As for tours of the wharf it was high security long before 9/11 due to they had pipes under the bay to provide the airport with fuel for the planes! was a village were every one knew everyone! there was a small public school & a church used by every brand! Up till nicholsons sold old it crowethers then them to southtrans they had weekly tickets as 75% of people were on wefare!the police used catch so many drink drivers going out to the village due to the fact they would go to the sharks football club to play pokies or northies pub at crunulla. they had 4 coaches the newest one was a single axle custom high deck the onthers were semi coaches & 3 route buses,some of the locals who worked shift work in Sydney used to take a small cabin cruiser from kurnell to la PEROUSE tie up at bar island & go to work as there was no public transport! we used to say all the bus were white as they were to embarresed to put there name on them! :shock: :roll:
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Swift

Post by Swift »

Must have been a long drive from Hunter Valley to United States of Sutherland Captain!
You certainly got around.
Next you will be revealing you did a stint for Bankstown Strathfield Bus Service too!
captainch

Post by captainch »

No SORRY SWIFT didn't do that company,but recently moved from central coast to Townsville hope to die here& a few others hope so to! :shock: :oops: :roll:
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
captainch

Post by captainch »

WELL THE BUS COMPANYS IN MY MUCH YOUNGER DAYS I DID CASUAL FOR WERE; Kogarah bus company/.then fredd green carrs park who took over jamisons/kurrnell bus company/Parramatta bus company/westbus Edensor park & Parramatta/then max Holman V.I.P TOURS! NEEDED THE MONEY THEN! :shock:
Swift

Post by Swift »

Went for a drive to Kurnell from Kingsford yesterday. Wow, I knew it was a fair way by road but forgot about that 80km/h stretch of Captain Cook Drive just before you get there. I felt like I was outside of Sydney for a few minutes.
I parked opposite a church near the great jetty and it was dark by the time I arrived @ 5:40.
There was a ship docked at the end of the jetty, supplying our congestion.
I also noticed some bus stops around there when driving.
As I went to leave , I saw a young bloke waiting at one of the stops near the start of Captain Cook Drive near the national park and saw a Trandev bus come the other way about a kilometre down the road.
Must have been for him!
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

There is a bus due to leave there just after 6pm on Saturdays so that would be pretty right.
Living in the Shire.
Newcastle Flyer

Post by Newcastle Flyer »

Kurnell to La Perouse ferry: At the moment, I'd say I don't support it. Their are only 2,213 people (2011 census) in Kurnell. Extend the light rail (or should that be re-extend?) to La Perouse, then maybe a ferry maybe worth it.

What about one of these for a "direct" service from say La Perouse to Sutherland via Kurnell? :lol:

Admin: Purely political material irrelevant to this subject has been removed and title of post changed back to the title of the thread./
White lives matter too.
Australia Day 26th Jan, the most important day in Australia as is 19 April, Cook's discovery of eastern Australia
Bonzo

Post by Bonzo »

Here's what I think of the latest proposal to build wharves at La Perouse and Kurnell for a ferry service:

Initially, I thought "great!" – a ferry ride to Kurnell and a nice day out in the National Park.
But then I read the document, and found out the following:

• Taxpayers pay $17m for new wharves;
• Proposed wharves are MASSIVE: 130/155m long (the old La Perouse wharf was 40m);
• Why? Because the proposed boats are HUGE;
• Why? Because there are plans for tourist trips, Whale Watching at sea, and a commuter service;
• The commuter run will require Public subsidies, and encourage development in Kurnell;
• Kurnell property values will sky-rocket; the little old houses, village atmosphere, and community will disappear, the poor forced out;
• Other development will follow - restaurants, shops, holiday units;
• Extra car parking will be necessary at both locations, and tourist coach parking at La Perouse;
• At La Perouse this will take PUBLIC LAND; at Kurnell, it will take NATIONAL PARK LAND;
• Result: many PRIVATE businesses making profit at PUBLIC expense; the potential complete destruction of a community.

Conclusions:
• Needs a comprehensive survey of ALL residents to assess the need/desire for a ferry;
• Clearly communicate the possible development consequences;
• Properly assess the threat to the seagrass beds/ecology at La Perouse;
• The profit-making private Ferry Company should pay for the wharves, NOT taxpayers.
• Car parking would definitely require parking meter control;
• THERE SHALL BE NO TAKING OF PUBLIC LAND OR NATIONAL PARK FOR CAR/COACH PARKING.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Re: NSW Ferry Discussions 2018.

Post by boronia »

I don't think this is new, the proposal has been around for a couple of years now

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newsl ... de648ab17a
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Even this article is 18 months old so nothing new but I have moved it here as it relates to this
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”