Rail Observations - May 2016

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Re: Rail Observations - May 2016

Post by pgt »

3805 wrote:
Frosty wrote:The amount of City Circle trackwork is still ridiculous....
There is just no pleasing some people. Either we maintain our infrastructure or we don't. Infrastructure doesn't look after itself. And with the nature of railways in general, and especially underground railways, maintenance requires temporary closures. However, I am sure that someone from the department will apologise for your inconveniences.

Simples.
I wonder which is louder - the noise from the complaining passengers because of lack of maintenance of the railways, or the noise the maintenance would cause if done during the hours the trains aren't running?
(Yes it'd be nice to see some maintenance happen during the night, but unless it's some 24 hour major work, I'm guessing we'll never see that happen in Sydney - unlike some other cities).
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

Post by captainch »

if anyone can remember the original idea of night ride buses ,was so they could do track work during the night another govt lie at the time!................the only ones making money were the night ride bus companys,When I was doing nightride town hall to Sutherland the staff at town hall would close the gates at 11.30p.m telling people to catch thhe nightride buses & the trains were still running!
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Punchbowl Tiger Cub

Post by Punchbowl Tiger Cub »

As has been stated,there is no pleasing everybody.Currently there is a huge backlog of outstanding trackwork to be undertaken with limited resources to make it happen.

You want a safe system then you have to do regular programmed maintenance along with upgrades - there is no way around it.If you think a couple of weekends inconvience is bad,how about the Lily Street bridge upgrade at Allawah - the bridge is closed to vehicular traffic until 30/11/16.

The planners work to try and achieve the minimum disruption at the lightest traffic times - ie:Weekends and night.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Really bad overcrowding today at Circlular Quay & Wynyard. Dangerous levels at Wynyard in particular on Platform 5. Couldn't get off my train simply no room as everybody was crowding right near the edge. I had wiggle and bump my way through the crowd. The stairs were fine but the platform was packed.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Frosty wrote:Really bad overcrowding today at Circlular Quay & Wynyard. Dangerous levels at Wynyard in particular on Platform 5. Couldn't get off my train simply no room as everybody was crowding right near the edge. I had wiggle and bump my way through the crowd. The stairs were fine but the platform was packed.
Wow are people seriously that "scared" of replacement bus services? Or trying to get to town hall, is walking that much really too far?

The other weekend when this happened a few weeks ago, aka, north shore trains termininating at Wynyard, and using T2 to continue to Town Hall, the T2 platform was disgustingly overcrowded. No seriously, I felt almost claustrophobic.

Exact reason why today coming from the North Shore I didn't bother knowing it would be the same story, walked it to get to where I needed to be on George Street.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Problem was the replacement bus ran in one direction only Town Hall, Wynyard & Circular Quay. I'm guessing most people from Wynyard were trying to get Central and beyond.

Now getting to Circular Quay to Town Hall by bus is doable catch a Victoria Rd service. But if you're doing Circular Quay/Wynyard to Central limited options. Either the poorly timed m20 & m30 from Wynyard to Central. Or from Circular Quay you have to walk down towards Gresham St street for a bus to Central 343, 308 or 339.

But I always have this question why didn't they run any extra trains via the ESR. It never happens no extra trains via the Eastern Suburbs Line even just to Martin Place.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

Punchbowl Tiger Cub wrote:As has been stated,there is no pleasing everybody.Currently there is a huge backlog of outstanding trackwork to be undertaken with limited resources to make it happen.

The planners work to try and achieve the minimum disruption at the lightest traffic times - ie:Weekends and night.
Weekend traffic is not light, at a good chunk of Saturday has pretty good load, at least on my line, and it's spread out over the day not all at once like the weekday peaks.

It would help if after close downs, defect were actually fixed. The Illawarra main near St Peters is increasingly bouncy, to the point that the inter-car connectors on the Tangara (the most common train on this track) bang into the car body. On both the up and down tracks.
This section has been closed TWICE in recent time and these defects were not addressed. Yes they did lots of other work in the closed section but I wish they allocated some machine time to tamping out the holes near St Peters while they had the possession.

There are now several places on the Illawarra line between the city and Sutherland where the 'holes' are bad enough to cause the Tangara ganways to bang.
Punchbowl Tiger Cub

Post by Punchbowl Tiger Cub »

Yes,we know weekend traffic is often not light but what other options are there.There is plenty of poor track across the network and as I stated,there is a huge backlog to address.

The system can find $280m to build a new control centre but can't find the money nor resources to bring the perway up to a great standard.

Come talk to our perway people and see the daily battle they up against - you then might form another opinion.Under-resourced and understaffed.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

The track between St Peters and in general Wolli Creek to the City via Sydenham is quite bad. But now it's got to the point where it's quite dangerous for passengers as the banging is so loud it's deafening. Not good also what about the residents near the line that isn't great either.

Reliability wise I say the worse sections are between Strathfield and the City. Hornsby to the City via Epping, ECRL, Gordon.
The numerous times of delays a lot of it track equipment failure.

I'm also questioning the need for $280m for a new control centre. When I see M sets constantly breaking down. Rolling stock and stations below scratch.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

Frosty wrote: I'm also questioning the need for $280m for a new control centre. When I see M sets constantly breaking down. Rolling stock and stations below scratch.
That control centre will allow them to get those all important tweets and social media posts out about the latest delay (due to poorly maintained equipment) all that faster.

I've done perway work for a museum, I know it's hard-yacka, especially with the vintage equipment museums have on hand. The managers who cut perway teams, 'defer' maintence, etc, etc, should be assigned to a perway team for a while.

'Deferred maintence' time and time again comes back to bit with service delays, poor quality, etc, etc, yet it appears managers still get their bonuses for the short term saving it gets, kick the can down the road, get a bonus.

I can never understand why some one looking after a very expensive asset wouldn't want to keep said asset it top working condition.

(See the same problem where I work, with 'facilities maintence', they leave little defects to turn into big defects and then need a 'major project' to fix the place up. I'm assuming minor works come out of one pot of money, major another).
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

matthewg wrote:
I can never understand why some one looking after a very expensive asset wouldn't want to keep said asset it top working condition.

(See the same problem where I work, with 'facilities maintence', they leave little defects to turn into big defects and then need a 'major project' to fix the place up. I'm assuming minor works come out of one pot of money, major another).

Because they'll probably be working somewhere else when the chickens come home to roost.

There was an infamous case on Philadelphia in the 80s when someone made a name for themselves by 'saving' money by not painting bridges. Twenty years later a whole city section had to be closed for the summer to replace all of the bridges. The person responsible had long moved on to another job.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

image.jpeg

So the City Circle Trackwork (and there's seemingly some sort of of obsession with shutting down trains via Town Hall) continues well into May over the next couple of weeks as well. I'm sorry, no offence but what is it that you're doing that is so important to disrupt the rest of us? Is the entire tunnel on the verge of collapse or are they just wanting more time to work noisily on the Wynyard station upgrade, because this is just getting stupid. What do you actually get done during trackwork? Idve thought after this entire week of disruptions on this one line, youdve left it alone for a while but nope, wrong. It's annoying. If you need to do work, fine, do it. But in regards to weekday evenings or weekends, honestly just pick one, not both. Otherwise I'd rather go back to the "old days" of the entire city circle shut down for the weekend, but then we wouldn't hear of it again for a while.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

So you have to go via Museum or change at Central and get a North Shore train to TH or Wynyard. What is so difficult about that.
Or you could walk from Museum or St James to TH. Not that far.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: . I'm sorry, no offence but what is it that you're doing that is so important to disrupt the rest of us? Is the entire tunnel on the verge of collapse or are they just wanting more time to work noisily on the Wynyard station upgrade, because this is just getting stupid.
Are you serious?? A few hours extra close over late night of peak services.
This is not a regular clean or paint job, this is a once in 25 year, or more refurb. I suspect there is some fairly substantial safety regulations for people working in closer proximity to active rail that limits what they can do - and there is still much to do on the platform
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

matthewg wrote:I've done perway work for a museum, I know it's hard-yacka, especially with the vintage equipment museums have on hand. The managers who cut perway teams, 'defer' maintence, etc, etc, should be assigned to a perway team for a while.

'Deferred maintence' time and time again comes back to bit with service delays, poor quality, etc, etc, yet it appears managers still get their bonuses for the short term saving it gets, kick the can down the road, get a bonus.

Is the cut-back of funds for essential maintenance a by-product of the re-allocation of resources (and funding) for the new metro system?

I seem to recall another era when the starving of funding for track maintenance, which was considered low hanging fruit when cost saving was a priority, led to the Granville disaster. Do we have to have another catastrophic incident before it dawns on those in authority that essential maintenance of current infrastructure should be the first priority, not the last? Some managers or should I say their political masters, who should know better, have very short memories and have not learnt the lessons of history.
macpro622776

Post by macpro622776 »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: So the City Circle Trackwork (and there's seemingly some sort of of obsession with shutting down trains via Town Hall) continues well into May over the next couple of weeks as well. I'm sorry, no offence but what is it that you're doing that is so important to disrupt the rest of us? Is the entire tunnel on the verge of collapse or are they just wanting more time to work noisily on the Wynyard station upgrade, because this is just getting stupid. What do you actually get done during trackwork? Idve thought after this entire week of disruptions on this one line, youdve left it alone for a while but nope, wrong. It's annoying. If you need to do work, fine, do it. But in regards to weekday evenings or weekends, honestly just pick one, not both. Otherwise I'd rather go back to the "old days" of the entire city circle shut down for the weekend, but then we wouldn't hear of it again for a while.
Wow, you have overreacted to this big time and rather uncalled for. Do you think they'd want to disrupt services just for the fun of it? It's rants like these which turns people away from the discussion board and I think people such as Punchbowl Tiger Cub have explained well enough how complex it is to plan and finally complete the work. If they need the time, they need the time and there's nothing anyone can really do about it. It would be better to get the job over and done with than have it pending for a long period of time. Would you rather sacrifice safety and reliability over your personal convenience?

Now, I'm not saying that you shouldn't contribute feedback because yes, there are improvements that can be made to the system. Not trying to do any back-seat modding here but don't use this board as a way to vent your (rather unnecessary) frustration and use the appropriate feedback channels to provide constructive feedback. It's getting frustrating for the rest of us users who are interested in news and developments but aren't getting it because of such rants.

Perhaps find some employment in a large organisation of any sort and you'll see how difficult and complex planning and decision making can be.
Scott4570

Post by Scott4570 »

boronia wrote:So you have to go via Museum or change at Central and get a North Shore train to TH or Wynyard. What is so difficult about that.
Or you could walk from Museum or St James to TH. Not that far.
This weekend, North Shore Line trains start and finish at Wynyard.

A little more difficult for Passengers travelling from Central to North Shore Line Stations.
According to the Sydney Trains website, Buses run from Town Hall to Circular Quay in that direction only.
No mention of travel between Central and Town Hall for those Passengers.
An Eastern Suburbs Line train would take you from Central to Town Hall, but you're probably better off getting the City Circle train via Museum.

That advertised Bus (Town Hall to Circular Quay) should start from Central !!!
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

Marrickville's new platform 1 stairs have now opened, however the exterior still remains hoarded up.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

Staff to continue to provide services at Regional stations

Minister for Transport and Infrastructure Andrew Constance has today announced that NSW TrainLink will continue to staff eight stations it had proposed to unattend.

Blayney, Broken Hill, Griffith, Macksville, Nambucca Heads, Parkes, Wellington and Yass Junction Stations will continue to be staffed to meet the needs of local customers.

“I want to ensure these stations remain well maintained assets for future generations, and as a result, we’ll be continuing to staff these locations,” Mr Constance said.

“We also want to think outside the square as to how these stations and available space could be better utilised for the whole community, whether it’s for rail heritage, coffee shops or meeting rooms.

“There are boundless opportunities to ensure these regional stations are not just transport hubs to get from A to B, but a hub that the whole community can enjoy.

“Customers can be reassured that there will be no changes to train and coach timetables at these stations. We’ll be maintaining staff to cover the arrival and departure of major services, while on-board staff will continue to assist the elderly and people with disability.

“Security will also be enhanced at these stations, with new CCTV cameras and/or Customer Help Points providing 24/7 assistance.

“Each of these stations play an important part in the local community and the NSW Government is pleased to confirm they will continue to provide services well into the future.”
http://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/media-r ... l-stations
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Looks like there's been some emergency trackwork called for this weekend between Hawkesbury River and Gosford

Buses replace trains between Hornsby and Gosford. Trains run between Central and Hawkesbury River via the T1 North Shore Line, to a changed timetable.
- If you are travelling to stations between Asquith and Hawkesbury River please remain on the train.
- If you are travelling to stations between Woy Woy and Newcastle, please alight at Hornsby to change for a bus.
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

Daniel wrote:Marrickville's new platform 1 stairs have now opened, however the exterior still remains hoarded up.
Since yesterday, the temporary bridge has been blocked off, with removal imminent, seeing the cranes already in place at Marrickville
Campbelltown busboy

Post by Campbelltown busboy »

There is a 8 car S set running on Cumberland line roster 92A today spotted at Campbelltown at 8:45am pulling in from it's first Blacktown to Campbelltown service all T5 services are rostered to be 4 car services this is the first 8 car Cumberland line service I've seen
boxythingy
Favourite Vehicle: Anything not 'B-set' w/problms

Post by boxythingy »

Punchbowl Tiger Cub wrote:As has been stated,there is no pleasing everybody.Currently there is a huge backlog of outstanding trackwork to be undertaken with limited resources to make it happen.

You want a safe system then you have to do regular programmed maintenance along with upgrades - there is no way around it.If you think a couple of weekends inconvience is bad,how about the Lily Street bridge upgrade at Allawah - the bridge is closed to vehicular traffic until 30/11/16.

Have all trackwork resources between Central and Macarthur via Airport been deferred for more urgent trackwork elsewhere including City Circle station refurbishments?

I'm pleasantly surprised that we've had no interruptions to rail services from Campbelltown out to the city on weekends for months now.
Aurora
Favourite Vehicle: C set

Post by Aurora »

Campo busboy, it was a standby train filling in while the original set needed attention.
An asset of NSW. All opinions/comments are strictly my own.
M 5885.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

boxythingy wrote:

Have all trackwork resources between Central and Macarthur via Airport been deferred for more urgent trackwork elsewhere including City Circle station refurbishments?

I'm pleasantly surprised that we've had no interruptions to rail services from Campbelltown out to the city on weekends for months now.
Have you checked the weekend of 18th and 19th June?
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”