Northern Beaches BRT: B-Line to transform Northern Beaches

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Jurassic_Joke

Re: Northern Beaches BRT: B-Line to transform Northern Beach

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Very slight side comment, observation and thought, but for the first time in quite a few months, I took an L90 bus today, from Warringah Mall to the City, instead of the B-line.

And it actually felt faster than B-Line, because it doesn't stop at Manly Vale. 8) Well I forgot after I all these months.

Unfortunately, the very limited frequency and operating hours means I can't really take L90 seriously anymore, its just casual if I'm travelling in the Beaches, but the nostalgia is there.
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:Very slight side comment, observation and thought, but for the first time in quite a few months, I took an L90 bus today, from Warringah Mall to the City, instead of the B-line.

And it actually felt faster than B-Line, because it doesn't stop at Manly Vale. 8) Well I forgot after I all these months.

Unfortunately, the very limited frequency and operating hours means I can't really take L90 seriously anymore, its just casual if I'm travelling in the Beaches, but the nostalgia is there.
Haha... i acutally find it more quicker going to mona vale.... because its only stop at narrabeen/rat park and mona vale.... and the stop in manly vale is not that bad.
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Soooo, which is better from Palmy to the City and the other way, the new system or old?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I have heard that the new Melbourne trams contract includes a ban on AOA wrap advertising. Adverse public reaction evidently finally got through to the politicians. We need to get something similar going here.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Tonymercury wrote:I suppose this was inevitable -

https://mumbrella.com.au/apn-outdoors-b ... ers-514149
Read the argument from that worm from the advertising industry defending it in the comments. The needs of the many he says, as though we need to see products getting flogged.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

I thank tonyp for the above reference to the turning advertising tide on Melbourne trams.
Time, perhaps, to remind our Minister Constance that it's not the advertising industry's "affluent demographic" electors in the safe Northern Beaches seats who will react negatively to having stuff all over their upper-deck panoramic windows, but the tourists from the marginal electorates, for whom the utter contempt of the advertising industry, and by default, the Minister himself, has them looking though spotted glass in any attempt to enjoy the coastal scenery. It's quite practicable to have effective all-over-advertising without covering the windows. Witness the many tourist buses so treated.

With less than 12 months to the state election, the "no-junk-on-windows" pen is firmly in the Minister's hand. But has he got the guts?
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Even more insulting when B-line advertising highlights the great views to be seen en route
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Glen

Post by Glen »

Meanwhile in a city far far away..................

http://www.proaktiva.ch/tram/zurich/new ... tem=010711

http://www.zurich4you.ch/trams_covered_ ... o_run.html

A colleague tells me they still have a very low limit on the number permitted.

When I was there 2 years ago I only saw one AOA tram and a couple with a small number of windows affected.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

On that matter, is it just me of have I been noticing less AOA recently. I haven't been on a bus with AOA in ages. I haven't even been on a bus with the other infamous form of advertising where the entire right side would be covered but the left side is fine. The only exception I've seen is a Hillsbus double decker where about 3/4 of the length of the bus top-bottom was covered. Otherwise, the worse I've seen recently has been one where about 1/2 the right side has been covered around the centre of the bus but that's not exactly full AOA.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Remember when the Atlanteans had brilliant AOA without interfering with the windows?
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

rogf24 wrote:On that matter, is it just me of have I been noticing less AOA recently. I haven't been on a bus with AOA in ages. I haven't even been on a bus with the other infamous form of advertising where the entire right side would be covered but the left side is fine. The only exception I've seen is a Hillsbus double decker where about 3/4 of the length of the bus top-bottom was covered. Otherwise, the worse I've seen recently has been one where about 1/2 the right side has been covered around the centre of the bus but that's not exactly full AOA.
Randwick depot is the worst offender, glad I'm not from there. So many buses, full right side, completely covered. All the Iveco Metro Optimus, about 2/3 of the right side of the bus is covered. Also, Ryde, the standard B12BLE Volgrens, I think just about every one is also, 100% covered on the right side.

Funnily this topic came up just now because just a couple of weeks ago I made a serious complaint about adverts specifically - why are they placed at the most inconvenient places ie why are the wheelchair foldup seats windows immune to getting smeared and the response was "for equity and to protect our customers from sunlight"...... I don't need to be told how to protect myself from the sun, I'm not 5 years old, TfNSW. And you've just stained B-line with ad's because you couldn't help yourself, $$$$$$$ typical liberals

I'm happy to read Melbourne had some strength in their convictions to stand up to it, because admittedly, from what I know, so many trams are just completely wrapped over, its disgusting. Something just needed to be done about that. And don't the older type trams have blinds inside the tram too?

Need a more common-sense approach. Just do it how Amsterdam does, so both sides (advertiser and bus passenger) win - https://farm1.static.flickr.com/312/188 ... d649_b.jpg . At least there they actually think of customers' comfort and Constances' counterpart regularly takes buses trams metro's casually and on the job, probably influencing the decision of window-free ad's only (as tram ads there only started in 2015) in addition to overseeing/running the network.

Have you ever ridden on a B-line bus, Andrew? Would you as a customer (not minister) want those ad's there? Can't say because you've never ridden one, but ask just about anyone else and itll be a big fat nope im good thanks! Watch the bus fill, and watch people prioritise which seats don't have covered windows, no matter how sunny it is
Tonymercury

Post by Tonymercury »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:
Have you ever ridden on a B-line bus, Andrew?
Only when it opened accompanied by his minders so that he didn't end up at Rouse Hill on a yellow bus.
OKO

Post by OKO »

[quote="tonyp"]

I was amazed that the drivers wouldn't let anybody get on before everybody got off and of course everybody dawdles down from upstairs and the dwells are yawning.
/quote]
As I understand it, there have been some issues with people milling around. The drivers are doing their best to manage the chaos.
OKO

Post by OKO »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:Otherwise comment for this thread - I notice the B-Line operates one way differently than the rest of the buses. I’ve noticed now a couple of times that buses are seemingly not allowed to skip stops if the stop is empty AND no one has pressed the button, the bus stops there for about 30 seconds anyway regardless.
That is the directive from TfNSW. They are to stop regardless.

Further, the headway monitoring is being stepped up. If they are timetabled three minutes apart, and one is running late, then the following deckers are being contacted and asked to slow it up or dwell at stops until the headway is regained. This train like approach can only end in tears. With so many shifts being close to the five hours, and drivers being told to wait, it is resulting in breeches, drivers missing their meals. In turn, other drivers need to be work altered to cover B1 trips, resulting in less other services. :roll:
Swift

Post by Swift »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:

Need a more common-sense approach. Just do it how Amsterdam does, so both sides (advertiser and bus passenger) win - https://farm1.static.flickr.com/312/188 ... d649_b.jpg .
Looks familiar.
https://www.topgear.com.au/product.php?product_id=588
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

OKO wrote: As I understand it, there have been some issues with people milling around. The drivers are doing their best to manage the chaos.
Not sure what milling around means. It would save a bit of the dwell if people could start boarding through the front door and start tagging on while others are exiting through the centre. The dwells are already terrible in deckers. Anything that speeds it up would be good.
OKO wrote: That is the directive from TfNSW. They are to stop regardless.

Further, the headway monitoring is being stepped up. If they are timetabled three minutes apart, and one is running late, then the following deckers are being contacted and asked to slow it up or dwell at stops until the headway is regained. This train like approach can only end in tears. With so many shifts being close to the five hours, and drivers being told to wait, it is resulting in breeches, drivers missing their meals. In turn, other drivers need to be work altered to cover B1 trips, resulting in less other services. :roll:
They are treating the service as a quasi-tram or train route (without the capacity!), but a stop like this should take only a few seconds. The former tram system ran like this and it still achieved faster journey times than the buses that replaced it skipping stops! That's because when a bus stopped it stopped for ages loading and unloading and was slow getting underway again. That's how "first set down" and express bus services came into being - in a desperate effort to "prove" that the bus services were better than the trams they replaced. They just forgot about capacity....

The only reason a bus would wait for 30 seconds is that it's running ahead of timetable, but it would be daft to change the timetable to maintain headways. The day I was riding the service there were some late buses but the headways weren't stretched. They simply started to bunch in the time-honoured fashion - a long gap then two close together and so on.
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

lunchbox wrote:I thank tonyp for the above reference to the turning advertising tide on Melbourne trams.
Time, perhaps, to remind our Minister Constance that it's not the advertising industry's "affluent demographic" electors in the safe Northern Beaches seats who will react negatively to having stuff all over their upper-deck panoramic windows, but the tourists from the marginal electorates, for whom the utter contempt of the advertising industry, and by default, the Minister himself, has them looking though spotted glass in any attempt to enjoy the coastal scenery. It's quite practicable to have effective all-over-advertising without covering the windows. Witness the many tourist buses so treated.

With less than 12 months to the state election, the "no-junk-on-windows" pen is firmly in the Minister's hand. But has he got the guts?
I think certain adverts can be good idea on buses to make things different
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

GazzaOak wrote:
I think certain adverts can be good idea on buses to make things different
Whole-of-vehicle advertising on trams and buses is as old as the hills. The issue that's emerged in recent years is that they've taken to covering the windows too. I don't think anybody objects to the body of the vehicle having advertising wrap, but not the windows.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Window film has been around over 20 years and it's here to stay unless people rally against them. No chance of that from Sydney people who would rather die than be seen to make waves.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

When did this advertising roll out? I saw a B Line bus entirely covered in Clarendon Homes recently.
pgt
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL202/MB O305G/Volvo B10M

Post by pgt »

rogf24 wrote:When did this advertising roll out? I saw a B Line bus entirely covered in Clarendon Homes recently.
Must be quite recent.
Saw that bus this afternoon - 2853 for those interested.
"It's my way or the (side of the) highway".
Might be a way to lead life, but more like the way that some people drive.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Adios vista.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

While I am not a fan and think whoever designed it should be banished to room 101, I can see the point when it brings in revenue. But when we have examples like the STA 85th retro liveries, was it really necessary to cover the windows? It's only meant to be indicative, that the window lines are different so what.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

Completely gross, I actually saw an ad covered B line bus today before seeing the update on this thread, I am speechless.

The tories have no credibility or word whatsoever. They will roll out a multi-million dollar double decker bus, preach how you can enjoy the views from the top deck, and then pull this crap. Another bait and switch where the only end result is, Gladys and Andrew make some extra $$$$$ for themselves to buy that latest iPhone, nope, well, I know who i'm voting for now at the next election.

I actually really appreciated B-line, the buses in their natural beauty, and then this happens. Pathetic. Gladys, you have no word, and as someone that doesn't like being glued to my phone 24/7 (like your new ad-wrap encourages), I'm severely dissapointed you chose to line your pockets instead of maintaining a good customer experience.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”