Badgerys Creek as Sydney's second airport

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: Badgerys Creek as Sydney's second airport

Post by Swift »

What about VFC. A supersonic streamlined coach with sections of segregated and unrestricted laneway on selected stretches of freeway to cut travel time. We could gear it to do 300 kph in top gear using the highest hp truck motor available or two coupled together!!
I'm sure Bustech could come to the party if government did same.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
flitter

Post by flitter »

Would it be solar powered? :-)
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

flitter wrote:Would it be solar powered? :-)
What crazy idea coal powered it has to be solar kills the earth as The Honourable Tony Abbott MP said Coal is good for humanity. So we musn't ignore that advice. :wink:
eddy

Post by eddy »

boronia wrote:Just pulling a few SYD-CBR services out of Mascot will not reduce the need for BC. A VFT to Melbourne or Brisbane will not significantly reduce demand for air services either, and would take longer to build than BC anyway.
I accept that

What about the point I made about building it big and soon 24/7 before houses get built around there so they know how noisy and polluted it will be before they get there and cannot complain.
Parrahub, an extra option in the public transport menu http://www.parrahub.org.au/
simonl

Post by simonl »

According to the Parramatta Adviser, PCC have resolved at Monday's meeting to call for KSA to become 24hr. I think it has a snowball's chance in hell. Notice that their constituents aren't the ones disadvantaged by it (I can think of a ~$2bn project called for by a council for which the same thing could be said.).
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

eddy wrote: I accept that

What about the point I made about building it big and soon 24/7 before houses get built around there so they know how noisy and polluted it will be before they get there and cannot complain.
Houses aren't planned to be around it or the flight paths. The flight paths run over rural land, and the Western Sydney Employment Area, which is a large swath of land from Prospect Reservoir to the Airport that is primarily meant for industrial uses. Th South West Growth Centre will have a lot of housing, but it's not that close, and isn't under any flight paths.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

simonl wrote:According to the Parramatta Adviser, PCC have resolved at Monday's meeting to call for KSA to become 24hr. I think it has a snowball's chance in hell. Notice that their constituents aren't the ones disadvantaged by it (I can think of a ~$2bn project called for by a council for which the same thing could be said.).
That would be political suicide for both Labor and Liberal nobody politically or anyone rational would do that.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

mandonov wrote:
eddy wrote: I accept that

Houses aren't planned to be around it or the flight paths. The flight paths run over rural land, and the Western Sydney Employment Area, which is a large swath of land from Prospect Reservoir to the Airport that is primarily meant for industrial uses. Th South West Growth Centre will have a lot of housing, but it's not that close, and isn't under any flight paths.
When the airport was first announced 25 years ago, the urban boundary was a lot further east than it is now, and I think it was intended to be kept at that limit.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

simonl wrote:According to the Parramatta Adviser, PCC have resolved at Monday's meeting to call for KSA to become 24hr. I think it has a snowball's chance in hell. Notice that their constituents aren't the ones disadvantaged by it (I can think of a ~$2bn project called for by a council for which the same thing could be said.).
The sooner the Councils are amalgamated the better. Hopefully then there will be less opportunity for selfish and useless behaviour from Councillors like this.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

In this case, Parramatta would still be the centre of any amalgamation. At least the current boundaries keeps the looney councillors confined to a small area and more easily dealt with by the state.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Mind you Daniel, Brisbane City Council add more than their fair share of negative value. I think until you go the whole hog, like Auckland or what Brisbane was when the lines were first drawn, you'll still get a lot of selfish behaviour.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/n ... 4065d7c446
Badgerys Creek Airport on the fast track: High-speed rail line being considered
February 10, 2016 12:00am
EXCLUSIVE Simon BensonThe Daily Telegraph
Subscriber Exclusive Icon
It may not look like this China Railway High-Speed train, but the new airport link would take just 34 minutes to reach Badgerys Creek Airport from the CBD.

Sydney’s west to be winner in Badgerys Creek airport boom
Badgerys Creek won’t fly without a rail link

A PLAN for a high-speed metro rail line that would take just 34 minutes to reach Badgerys Creek Airport from the CBD will be considered by the NSW and federal governments as part of long-term rail options for the west.

The $8 billion project, which would be funded largely by a private consortium, would also offer a 18-minute rapid transport link between the city and Parramatta, and link the major economic zones of Sydney. Beginning at a new Metro station at Central, the Metro West Link would link the CBD with Barangaroo, the Darling Harbour centre, the Bays precinct and Strathfield and Olympic Park with Strathfield, Camellia, Parramatta and Westmead.

Stage two of the project would then extend to the western Sydney employment precinct, Badgerys Creek Creek, dubbed Airport City, and the southwest growth centre. The travel time ­between Parramatta and the new airport would be just 16 minutes, making it roughly the same time it takes by train between the CBD and Sydney Airport at Mascot.
Facts and figures ... the high-speed rail line for Badgerys Creek Airport.

The plan envisages only $2 billion of state and federal funding — and would take over the role and funding planned for the Parramatta light rail — with the rest funded by private sector.

More than 90 million passenger trips per year have been forecast on the proposed system, with the state government spared the expense of having to spend $11 billion over the next 20 years on the existing heavy rail system.

Centurion China Rail Corp is in discussion with the joint-venture engineering proponents, BG & E and Conybeare Morrison, which have submitted the project to the NSW long-term transport strategy.
Must Read

Federal Minister for Major Projects Paul Fletcher said the federal government was seeking high-speed rail options for the second airport which also acted as commuter services.

“The Commonwealth is working with the NSW government on a joint study to consider rail options which not only service the airport but which address commuter needs in Western Sydney too,” he said.
An artist's impression of Badgerys Creek Airport.
An artist’s impression of the second airport from the sky.

NSW Transport Minister Andrew Constance’s office has been briefed on the proposal. A spokesman for Mr Constance said that all proposals would be considered for long-term rail options for western Sydney.

“All serious proposals will be given consideration in the future,” the spokesman said.

“We’re a little more than three years away from completing Sydney Metro North West and before that we’ll have construction under way on the next phase of the project through the CBD. There’ll also be an opportunity to consider projects further down the pipeline.”
Living in the Shire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Aren't "high speed" and "Metro" somewhat contradictory terms?
\
And wouldn't this line somewhat duplicate the Parra-OP-Strathfield light rail?
@ The Museum of Fire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

boronia wrote: And wouldn't this line somewhat duplicate the Parra-OP-Strathfield light rail?
I assume it buries the light rail
The plan envisages only $2 billion of state and federal funding — and would take over the role and funding planned for the Parramatta light rail
Also unsure on the routing - how can it service Barrangaroo and the Bays Precinct -- I can imagine Central - Darling Hbr/Pyrmont - Bays Precinct them towards Strathfield/Olympic Park (but unlikely both) but not servicing Barrangaroo
boronia

Post by boronia »

moa999 wrote:
boronia wrote: And wouldn't this line somewhat duplicate the Parra-OP-Strathfield light rail?
I assume it buries the light rail
Probably not as it won't have any intermediate stops to serve the new developments. But it might relieve pressure on the LR for journeys to OP. Could even reduce/remove the need for the Lidcombe-OP shuttles
@ The Museum of Fire.
Rails

Post by Rails »

Since they state:

The plan envisages only $2 billion of state and federal funding — and would take over the role and funding planned for the Parramatta light rail — with the rest funded by private sector.

I assume they are not considering this as a long term plan, it would be within a decade. I cant see the Government dropping their plan for the Light Rail altogether but perhaps it would replace the section from Camelia to Strathfield via Olympic Park, just run it to Carlingford/ Epping only. Would save some dollars of course but not the majority of the outlay.

If this new Metro line was to eventuate, it would be great if they extended the current planned Metro from Bankstown to Lidcombe via the existing path but extended it to meet and take over the current Olympic Park loop.
lunchbox
Favourite Vehicle: Bicycle - no waiting - on time

Post by lunchbox »

As then Transport Minister Peter Cox once famously said "It's just lines on maps".
It must be time for a new Berijiklian-style Transport Master Plan!
boronia

Post by boronia »

there was a previously identified need for a Campbelltown - Leppington - Badgery's - Blacktown/Penrith - Richmond rail service.

What happens to this? More "transport planning" on drink coasters in the pub?
@ The Museum of Fire.
Daniel
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes-Benz O405 / CC '510'

Post by Daniel »

boronia wrote:there was a previously identified need for a Campbelltown - Leppington - Badgery's - Blacktown/Penrith - Richmond rail service.

That is the government's plan. The Central-Badgerys metro is a private unsolicited proposal, who says it will be entertained by anyone other than the media?
ed24

Post by ed24 »

boronia wrote:there was a previously identified need for a Campbelltown - Leppington - Badgery's - Blacktown/Penrith - Richmond rail service.

Is the connection of the NWRL to the Richmond branch still planned for the future also?
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

The NWRL would bisect the Richmond Line at Schofields and continue to Marsden Park. That is the currently protected corridor.
boronia

Post by boronia »

And of course we have this proposal floating around:'
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/sydney-ne ... modmo.html

Nicely duplicating the high speed service. So will we end up with both heavy rail and a metro at BC?
@ The Museum of Fire.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

To be honest, I would just ignore all of these proposals until the updated transport plan is released later this year.

People with vested interests in serving whatever investment they or the people they represent may have know that a transport plan is imminent, and are putting their 2c in in a hope to secure a slice of the multi-billion dollar pie. It's all about self interest and publicity.

The HSR was proposed by Centurion, the same Chinese developer who wanted an HSR route tacked onto the second harbour crossing.
And that metro proposal is by the head of Urban Taskforce, which is the biggest property development lobby group in the state.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

I wouldn't mind a metro and heavy rail at BC similar to London Heathrow.

There could be a heavy rail service to BC running express to Glenfield then calling at Revesby express to Wolli Creek and all stations to Central via Airport.
or could it be a metro all stations to the city via somewhere or via Kingsford Smith Airport and the exist all stations Airport Line.

Interestingly Thameslink in the UK connect Luton Airport and Gatwick Airport via Central London though that journey takes a long time.
boronia

Post by boronia »

I don't think BC will be as busy as LHR for a while yet. It seems hard to convince planners that ANY rail is needed at BC, let alone two.

As long as KSA remains the dominant Sydney airport, there will be little real demand for travel to the CBD. A BC to KSA link would be more desirable to start with.
@ The Museum of Fire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”