Opal Discussion and Observations

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Linto63

Re: Introducing OPAL Card

Post by Linto63 »

The purpose of periodicals is to reduce the cost to those that commit up front. When I lived in the UK, annuals were priced at the equivalent of 40 weeks of weeklys, so even after annual leave and public holidays, you were a fair bit ahead.

In Melbourne a Zone 1+2 annual (that covers the whole metro area) is $1,700 while 232 days of dailys (52 x 5 days less 4 weeks annual leave & 8 public holidays) comes in at $2,000, so a 15% saving.

For me it was a set and forget, once I had paid for it I thought I may as well use it. Now I am more likely on a Saturday to drive.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

The guy was probably just ahead of his time. One day we will probably all have a microchip that will alleviate the need to carry a wallet. Surely TfNSW and the courts had better things to do than prosecute someone who defrauded them of umm, nothing. :roll:
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

Well the main argument is not so much about fraud but rather the modifications that were made to the card. By significantly altering the antenna, the chance of failed reads or other detection/communication problems are increased. If many people did this, it could slow down the queues at gates. By making an example of him, TfNSW shows they are serious about enforcing the ToS. This guy lives for the publicity anyway, so it's not like everyone who modifies their card will get caught, he just advertised it.
Last edited by jpp42 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Agreed was all about TOC.
By extracting the chip and antenna and encasing it in plastic the card was certainly defaced.

Reading between the lines given he still paid court costs, I expect he just got a section 10 on appeal
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Does this hero for liberty still get to keep the implant?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Stu

Post by Stu »

The hipster should persue TfNSW for the reimbursement of the $220 fine that he had to pay. This will cost him at least $5,000 although this will not bother him as he is after the moral win and not a financial win.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

How is he going to get a fine refunded when he pled guilty? Why does everyone completely ignore the facts of this case???
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Because people logically equate travelling without a valid ticket to fare evasion and he didn't fare evade.

In this case he paid the correct fare but his implanted Opal card was not considered a valid ticket despite TfNSW happily collecting his fares from it.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

I know that but the point is he pled guilty. You don't get your fine refunded if you plead guilty and agree you've committed an offence!
Geo101

Post by Geo101 »

Swift wrote:Does this hero for liberty still get to keep the implant?
https://postimg.cc/image/dsbbg5ta3/

Very doubtful looking at this poster at Parramatta Interchange last night/early this morning. Still advertising MyBus 1/2/3 ???

I'm no medical expert, but planting a MyBus ticket in his arm might bring him back to reality... (Can't people just get on a bus/tram/train like normal??)

On a more on-topic subject, some idiot high on drugs was destroying the peace and quiet at Parramatta interchange last night. Jeepers, you just can't get away from them.

Can just some of us travelling public just get a bit of peace and quiet whilst we transfer. (N70 -> 520 @ around 04:00 this morning)

A guy (obviously on his way to work) just said: "that ice is bad". I just nodded my head in agreement, then he jumped on the 03:52 N71 night ride bus glad to get away from it.

I had to put up with another 10 minutes or so of the "performance" before I got onto the 520.

The best thing was it was slightly early, and I didn't get penalised for the 04:00 Opal change over. Tapped on at 03:58, and saved myself $3.58!!~ :-P

I really do take my hat off to the staff which do the night ride and 24-hour bus routes !!
Geo101

Post by Geo101 »

jpp42 wrote:How is he going to get a fine refunded when he pled guilty? Why does everyone completely ignore the facts of this case???
Civil action. LOL.

Just do what everyone else does.

Buy a ticket, or get an Opal card, get on the bus (or train etc) and confirm what the masses do day-in-day-out. Get from A-B and go about your business.

Many millions of people do this on a daily basis worldwide without surgery...

If I recall correctly, the smart card was invented to save money and make things more efficient. Even in public transport circles.

This guy obviously isn't really that up with the times. Lot's of thought put into it before he hit the headlines...

PS: The smart card is in existence for the operator of the utility to streamline things, not the beholder who thinks they can know best. Perhaps he might see that context one day...
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

For the nth time, he plead guilty. Meaning he accepted it was wrong and is taking the consequences. *sigh*
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

jpp42 wrote:For the nth time, he plead guilty. Meaning he accepted it was wrong and is taking the consequences. *sigh*
He pleaded guilty to fare evasion, when he's actually paid the fare but with an invalid (tampered with) card.

I'm pretty sure that was 'strategic' and set up his appeal, as he HAD paid the fare, so you could argue had not fare evaded, so the conviction for fare evading was invalid.

He'd quite clearly broken the rules about using a card that had been tampered with and IMHO TfNSW was silly to let that go for a fare-evasion plea when he HAD PAID his fare, just with an invalid ticket.

He did what I expected, then appealed the conviction presumably on the grounds HE had paid his fare. Ignoring the fact that regulations say a tampered with card is invalid, but that had been taken out of the equation at this point. Clever.
boronia

Post by boronia »

@ The Museum of Fire.
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

Whats's the point to introduce Opal day pass when there is already a fare cap?
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Seems to be more a tourist product - regular pass priced at a premium to the day cap.
The pass including airport fee is however quite a discount as the airport fee is only $14.40

Interesting that they've also reintroduced and increasd pricing for special event buses.

On most journeys to Moore Park in the last 12 months they've been using Opal, though often switched off on return.

Finally very surprised that non-Opal usage is still 1.6% or about 1 in 60 trips.

Also funny in the Frontier report they make mention of contactless - note that it has low usage, but don't expect it to grow substantially (not clear but could possibly suggest that they won't reduce the fare premium on contactless)
andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Document says: "The Opal Day Pass will not be available for general sale to the public but only be distributed through tour operators such as cruise ship companies."
boronia

Post by boronia »

There is already a Day Pass which is distributed through government agencies.
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

Ch 9 News promising details of "a new way to use your Opal card on buses" tonight 6 pm
@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

= Now available to use on OD buses.

Featured Constance, who actually managed to say a few words that didn't appear to be pre-scripted; on a BridgJ service.
@ The Museum of Fire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

https://transportnsw.info/news/2018/opa ... e-services
OpalPay now accepted on more services
Thursday 28 June 2018

From 1 July 2018 you’ll be able to use your Opal card to pay for selected On Demand public transport services as well as ferry trips on My Fast Ferry (Manly Fast Ferry) and SeaLink/Captain Cook Cruises services, with OpalPay.

OpalPay is a convenient way to pay your fare, allowing you to use your Opal card for more of your trips.

The Inner West On Demand bus service is the first On Demand service to offer OpalPay taking customers to Breakfast Point, Burwood, Cabarita, Canada Bay, Concord, Mortlake, Rhodes and Strathfield.

To use Inner West On Demand public transport services, you book and select ‘OpalPay’ via the BRIDJ app. When boarding, show your boarding pass to the driver. You can then tap to pay with your Opal card on the operator’s payment device. You will not need to tap off.

With OpalPay available on the Inner West On Demand public transport services, each customer must book separately and use their own Opal card.

Concession fares are not offered on all routes and services. When using OpalPay you will be charged the operator’s ticket fare, which is not the same as a standard Opal fare. Check the operator’s fare before you travel to make sure you have sufficient funds on your Opal card to cover the trip.

You can use either an Adult Opal card, Child/Youth Opal card, Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card or a Concession Opal card to pay with OpalPay, however you may be charged the full adult fare even if you use a concession Opal card. Check with the operator if concession fares are available before you tap to pay with OpalPay.

Look out for ‘OpalPay accepted here’ signs to see if you can pay with your Opal card.

Plan your ferry trip with Trip Planner and check whether your service accepts OpalPay. ‘OpalPay is available’ will be displayed in trip results.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

boronia wrote:= Now available to use on OD buses.

Featured Constance, who actually managed to say a few words that didn't appear to be pre-scripted; on a BridgJ service.
Only the Inner west at this point in time
Living in the Shire.
molybtek

Post by molybtek »

Opal fare increase again starting next Monday. Prices will rise by about 2.2%, however, transfer discount remains pegged at $2:(

https://transportnsw.info/news/2018/opa ... rom-2-july
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Old news. See above to #8473

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”