Opal Discussion and Observations

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
simonl

Re: Introducing OPAL Card

Post by simonl »

mandonov wrote:
simonl wrote:Wow. Shows that patronage did in fact increase during the last government. Opal running?
Why's that so surprising? The number of services and the population both grew a lot in the last term of government, therefore patronage growth.
Some service were added in peak hour but only minimal services were added outside peak. Population did grow of course.

Transit was not made relatively faster or more cost competitive, that is what makes it surprising to me that there was significant growth.

EDIT: I wonder if the use of periodicals was being under estimated in pre-Opal days?
Last edited by simonl on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Hmm, Doesn't seem like the census data for 2016 is available.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

I note the Opal Travel app (official) is now using a red L for light rail journeys.

Website, which it pulls from still shows a T. Is this new?
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

The Transport Info website now also shows L at least in the explanations. I have not looked elsewhere.
Living in the Shire.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

Silly person but wow all that effort to avoid getting charged a few dollars more. Could gone on Opal.com.au or give Opal a ring to get a fare adjustment.
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

^ And it did actually say in the article that the Opal readers wouldn't have worked because the bus wasn't at a bus stop.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

sunnyyan wrote:^ And it did actually say in the article that the Opal readers wouldn't have worked because the bus wasn't at a bus stop.
And by that point, the electrical system would have failed so none of the Opal machines would work anyway even if the bus driver had manually activated it on his way out.

But I have seen similar behaviour on the trains. I was at Hurstville once when the fire-alarm went off. On fire alarm activation the power is dropped to the gate lines and the gates all 'fail' open. However, there was a crowd of people forming at the gate line trying to tap off.
I wrote to Sydney Trains and suggested they should just open the gates but leave the Opal readers active - the station would evacuate quicker as there wouldn't be this crowd around the gates trying to tap off. Their only response was the gates have to open for safety reasons. Missed the bit about open the gates but leave the opal kit active to deal with this obsessive 'must tap off' behaviour that they have so carefully cultivated for everyday operations.

I couldn't tap off but I noticed after visiting a shop outside that the fire alarm had stopped, so I went back into the station, leant over a gate and tapped off :-)
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Well after 6000 transactions had my first need to request a fare adjustment.
Only a 15min wait on the line (and despite entering my 16digit card number and pin, that was the first question asked)

Boarded a bus with front reader out but Ok Tap On at 2nd reader.

At my stop, readers displaying Please Wait. People called out to driver who pressed a button, nothing happened, and then all readers went to Closed, so about 10 people had to get off.

Charged an extra $2.40 (for an 8+ km default fare) and then another $2.10 for next transfer.

Explained issue and what correct stop was and jovial call centre operator quickly adjusted and said I would have a $4.50 credit within the hour.
sunnyyan

Post by sunnyyan »

For non-urgent fare adjustments, it's actually easier to submit a ticket online for fare adjustment. It usually gets processed next day.
Jurassic_Joke

Post by Jurassic_Joke »

So I just thought of something. And I know itll never happen, so im not going there with this post, but just some food for thought.

I've noticed, when you tap on. Single trip tickets say "Trips Left - 0". Sounds very specific for something otherwise obvious. School cards say "Tap on OK", and originally also noted an expiry date too on the screen.

I wonder if coding actually exists / existed in the Opal System to hold travel products such as Travel 10's and Periodicals (the on-text above sure does point in this direction) but then the idea of introducing them on the system was axed.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: I wonder if coding actually exists / existed in the Opal System to hold travel products such as Travel 10's and Periodicals (the on-text above sure does point in this direction) but then the idea of introducing them on the system was axed.
Thank heavens they were axed - they would have unnecessarily complicated the system even more than it already is.
Living in the Shire.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

Jurassic_Joke wrote: I wonder if coding actually exists / existed in the Opal System to hold travel products such as Travel 10's and Periodicals (the on-text above sure does point in this direction) but then the idea of introducing them on the system was axed.
TfNSW didn't buy a license for the 'travel pass' option. The base code does it, as London has periodicals still and Opal is based on Oyster. Occasionally London makes noises about winding back the passes, but then the masses get restless and start writing letters to their MPs. London's planners probably drool when they see Sydney managed to abolish passes, something they have not managed to do them selves.
simonl

Post by simonl »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:So I just thought of something. And I know itll never happen, so im not going there with this post, but just some food for thought.

I've noticed, when you tap on. Single trip tickets say "Trips Left - 0". Sounds very specific for something otherwise obvious. School cards say "Tap on OK", and originally also noted an expiry date too on the screen.

I wonder if coding actually exists / existed in the Opal System to hold travel products such as Travel 10's and Periodicals (the on-text above sure does point in this direction) but then the idea of introducing them on the system was axed.
I would refer you to Melbourne which kept these passes on their Myki system. Results in complaints about lost passes taking too long to replace and contributes to a far weaker system than elsewhere in Australia.
TheOpalUser

Post by TheOpalUser »

Jurassic_Joke wrote:So I just thought of something. And I know itll never happen, so im not going there with this post, but just some food for thought.

They exist to a point - the employee passes work on STA buses, Sydney Ferries, NSW TrainLink and Sydney Trains. They don't work on private buses or the light rail. They can't be topped up, and have an expiry date.

Other free travel, eg vision impaired and veterans have a card that works on all modes, except the airport stations, and have an expiry date.

School cards are limited by mode and stations too, and are free and only work during specific periods, they also have an expiry date.

So in a way travel passes do exist; limited by mode or stations, and having a fixed expiry date.
Posts and comments made here are my own personal opinions, and not on behalf of my employer.
Glen

Post by Glen »

moa999 wrote:Well after 6000 transactions had my first need to request a fare adjustment.
I've noticed twice recently when tapping off (seemingly) normally on a bus, and I always check, my journey was registered as "to unknown", I was charged the default fare and no transfer discount was given.

I've submitted it to Opal, not that it is worth hassling about for 2 x $2, but for the principle that they correct this in the system when it is not the customer's fault.
swtt

Post by swtt »

Glen wrote:
moa999 wrote:Well after 6000 transactions had my first need to request a fare adjustment.
I've noticed twice recently when tapping off (seemingly) normally on a bus, and I always check, my journey was registered as "to unknown", I was charged the default fare and no transfer discount was given.

I've submitted it to Opal, not that it is worth hassling about for 2 x $2, but for the principle that they correct this in the system when it is not the customer's fault.
I also tapped on normally recently, but when tapping off it shows it didn't register properly (i.e. tapping off at my destination was actually a tap on!) :shock:
sunnyyan

Post by sunnyyan »

^ Then you would have received two default fares. One for tap on and one for tap off. This has only happened to me when because the driver selected the wrong trip after a changeover at K depot. This was because the tap on and tap off are not on the same route.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

sunnyyan wrote:^ This was because the tap on and tap off are not on the same route.
How would this then be handled on Transdev trips which start at Cronulla as route 971 and then convert to route 970 at Miranda to Hurstville on Sundays, on which through fares are supposed to be payable. They would have different route numbers at tap on and tap off.
Living in the Shire.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

^ that's a concern. I'm betting OPAL haven't covered that unusual situation.
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

Fleet Lists wrote: How would this then be handled on Transdev trips which start at Cronulla as route 971 and then convert to route 970 at Miranda to Hurstville on Sundays, on which through fares are supposed to be payable. They would have different route numbers at tap on and tap off.
But the same bus, same 'run' so it probably can handle this. The other problem was a changeover, where the system was shutdown when the outgoing driver logged off
and the incoming driver has pressed the wrong button and didn't continue the run but started a new one.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Yes it is more likely the shut down which caused it and NOT the different route number as indicated by sunnyyan.
Living in the Shire.
Stu

Post by Stu »

Below is an example of when a driver may accidentally select the incorrect (next) trip if not paying attention. The opal system does not count how many trips have been operated and automatically highlight the next trip in order for selection by the driver, instead the opal system will match whichever scheduled trip is closest to the current clock time on the console regardless of which trips have been operated or have not been operated.

389 Out.
Depart - Maritime Museum 15:03.
(Time elapsed so far 43 minutes)
Relief - Waverley Depot 15:46.
(Time remaining 21 minutes + 8 minutes lay over)
Arrive - Nth Bondi 16:07.

Next trip.
389 In.
Depart - Nth Bondi 16:15.
Arrive - Maritime Museum 17:24.

There are a plenty of other routes that behave in the same manner as the above example. Below are a couple more very brief examples.
380 Out to Nth Bondi (relief outside W-depot).
490 Out to Hurstville (relief on Kingsgrove Rd it inside K-depot).
492 Out to Rockdale (relief on Kingsgrove Rd it inside K-depot).
The time remaining to Hurstville or Rockdale is only between 15-20 minutes compared to the remaining time heading towards Drummoyne of between 45-60 minutes.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Article in the Tele that Opal to be introduced on the Manly Fast Ferry. (Google Opal fast ferry)

That ferry will be in the trial of credit cards, and the Opal cards can be used for onboard purchases.

And that fares for the fast ferry won't change - but no comment on transfer benefits or 8+, Sunday, concession discounts.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslo ... 656bcf768f
Premier announces that Opal card system set to work on Manly Fast Ferry service
Robbie Patterson, Manly Daily
March 24, 2017 6:46pm

Opal changes see price hike
Opal card trial sets sail on Manly ferry

THE Opal system will be expanded to include fast ferry services, with public transport users also able to pay by directly tapping on with their credit cards.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian announced today that the Manly Fast Ferry would be the first system to trial credit card tap-on technology later this year.
Premier Gladys Berejiklian was at Manly Wharf to make the announcement.

But the State Government has ruled out a price hike, with the premier saying fares for both Sydney Ferries and private operators would stay the same.

Passengers over 18 will eventually be able to use Opal cards to buy alcohol on board, with an eye towards allowing people to use the cards in other areas, such as supermarkets.

But commuters will have to wait until early next year to use Opal cards on Manly Fast Ferry or Captain Cook Cruises services.
Until this announcement, the only water-based form of transport that used Opal was Sydney Ferries.

Ms Berejiklian said the upgrade was influenced by similar systems, like London’s Oyster and Hong Kong’s Octopus.

“We weren’t able to do this when the system first came in because obviously the private ferries and the public ferries have a different pricing structure,” she said.

“Now we have the technology and we are going to start negotiations to make sure it is all part of the same system.”

Any added cost will be absorbed by the Government.

Manly Fast Ferry owner Richard Ford said it would make it more convenient to catch his services.

“I am pretty confident the technology is good in the background and the idea is to get it seamless for the passenger,” he said.

Mr Ford said the use of credit cards would allow them to eventually eliminate single ticket sales, but assured that it would not affect staff numbers.

“We operate both tourist and ferry services from our ticket office, so we still need our staff there to sell the tourist service, plus people still need information about the area,” he said.

“We are in the business of customer service, so we will have staff at the ticketing office.”

Ms Berejiklian was joined by Manly Liberal candidate James Griffin, who called the announcement a win for commuters.

“Integrating the ticketing is a great thing for the fast ferry service,” he said.

It has revolutionised the travel from Manly for a lot of commuters and having caught it for many years this is a great advancement and a really positive step.”
Living in the Shire.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”