Sydney Metro - Tallawong to Bankstown

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
mandonov

Re: Sydney Metro - Tallawong to Bankstown

Post by mandonov »

These changes will be achieved by reallocating services from late nights and early morning services where existing customer levels are very low. This also allows more time for important overnight maintenance works to maintain reliability of the network.

On Friday and Saturday evenings there will be no changes to current services.
Another example of service delivery outcomes being strictly shaped by the terms of a contract. It shouldn't require the reallocation of exisiting services to provide an adequate peak period.

BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Is this an error, am I reading this wrong, or does the Sydney Metro seriously operate a 4 minute peak frequency on public holidays!? :shock:

https://transportnsw.info/documents/tim ... 200105.pdf

If that timetable is to be believed, I'll be able to turn up at Tallawong at 5:55am on the Queen's Birthday Monday in two weeks time, and find trains departing every 4 minutes. But for the two weekend days of the long weekend, only a 10 minute frequency will be operating.

Merc1107
Favourite Vehicle: High Floor Buses

Post by Merc1107 »

BroadGauge wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:39 am
Is this an error, am I reading this wrong, or does the Sydney Metro seriously operate a 4 minute peak frequency on public holidays!? :shock:

https://transportnsw.info/documents/tim ... 200105.pdf
I seem to recall this was previously discussed, with the explanation being this was to cater for University students, given Universities typically do not observe state or territory public holidays... Would search to double-check my claims but that doesn't seem to be working quite right at the moment.

BroadGauge
Favourite Vehicle: Car

Post by BroadGauge »

Merc1107 wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 5:51 am
I seem to recall this was previously discussed, with the explanation being this was to cater for University students, given Universities typically do not observe state or territory public holidays... Would search to double-check my claims but that doesn't seem to be working quite right at the moment.
There's a couple of public holidays a year that universities don't observe. That doesn't justify running such a weekday peak frequency on days like Christmas Day, Good Friday or New Years Day that are among the quietest of the year.

I also doubt there would be that much demand from Macquarie University students along the line west of Epping, as I doubt the Hills District would have a high concentration of students at all.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

The metro is very busy in weekends. I recall a news item from some months ago saying that it carries about 50% more people in weekends than the average suburban service.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"

jaseee

Post by jaseee »

The off-peak frequency should ideally be 8 mins. 10 mins is a tad bit long to wait sometimes...I had tried it and it felt a bit too long for a metro.

tonyp

Post by tonyp »

jaseee wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 7:18 am
The off-peak frequency should ideally be 8 mins. 10 mins is a tad bit long to wait sometimes...I had tried it and it felt a bit too long for a metro.
Unfortunately TfNSW has locked itself into a contract where the contractor is obliged to only provide a finite number of services per day. So the only way they can increase services at certain times of day is to take services away from other times of the day, which is what they've done with the current timetable. It seems a bizarre idea that robs the agency of the ability to increase services as demand rises. Normally you'd think the reason was to constrain costs, the largest cost typically being staff - but there are no drivers.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"

grog

Post by grog »

The contract is online and allows increases in frequency, but it would be at a standard pre-agreed cost.

Presumably reallocating services when demand is low and money is tight is just the way they decided to go this time.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”