Sydney Metro - Tallawong to Bankstown

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
gld59

Re: NSW Future Rail Plan - NWRL/Metro/Harbour Crossing

Post by gld59 »

andy_centralcoast wrote: That document used to show 6 months in advance, now it's only the next 2 months!

TfNSW continue their assault on customers information.
Last time I checked, the downloadable pdf was six months - only problem is, it's not rolling, so if you're near the end of the fixed schedule... :roll:
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Another pommie import for our transport network:
https://www.tfgm.com/news/jon-lamonte-leaving-tfgm
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

This still exists for some reason. And not only exists, but it was also updated just this month!
https://railsafe.org.au/__data/assets/p ... g-Line.PDF
flitter

Post by flitter »

rogf24 wrote:This still exists for some reason. And not only exists, but it was also updated just this month!
Not updated enough to remove the demolished M2 bus road though
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-17/ ... s/10385840

Sydney Metro City and Southwest reaches milestone as machines begin to drill
By Nour Haydar Wed at 3:40pm

Major underground drilling has begun in Sydney's inner west on two metro railway tunnels that will run below the CBD and Sydney Harbour to form part of the Sydney Metro.

Premier Gladys Berejiklian and Transport Minister Andrew Constance today launched one of five tunnel boring machines — dubbed Nancy — at Marrickville.

The mega borers, which are the length of two Airbus A380s, will carve a total of 31 kilometres of tunnel from the inner west to Chatswood for the new Sydney Metro City and Southwest.

Ms Berejiklian said the project, which is due to be completed in 2024, would be a critical piece of Sydney's future.

"This project is a game-changer," she said.

"People scoffed at us when we said we will build a second harbour rail crossing and here it is.

"Today marks the start of the huge task of digging twin tunnels under the city, delivering Sydney's new world-class metro railway and building a stronger, better future for the people of New South Wales."

Two of the machines will drill from Marrickville to the new metro station sites at Waterloo, Central, Pitt Street, Martin Place and Barangaroo before they are removed.

Another two machines will dig from Chatswood to the edge of Sydney Harbour before a specially-designed machine takes over work on underwater twin tunnels.

Transport Minister Andrew Constance said all five machines would be running before the state election in March.

"We would expect to have the tunnelling complete hopefully within 18 months," he said.

He said the borers have been specifically designed to cut through Sydney's geology and vibrations will not be noticed on street level.

"People will not have any sensation whatsoever," he said.

"Nancy is specially designed to cut through our city's unique sandstone and shale and will tunnel an average of 120 metres a week.

"These machines are underground factories — mechanical worms designed to dig and line the tunnels as they go so that Sydney Metro can be delivered as quickly as possible."
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

rogf24 wrote:This still exists for some reason. And not only exists, but it was also updated just this month!
Technically I believe the line is not closed as that would require a act from parliament merely the services are suspended until further notice
tbohlsennswssrg

Post by tbohlsennswssrg »

kypros1992 wrote: Technically I believe the line is not closed as that would require a act from parliament merely the services are suspended until further notice

99A Closure and disposal of railway lines

(1) A rail infrastructure owner must not, unless authorised by an Act of Parliament or an order under subsection (1A), close a railway line.

(1A) The Minister may, by order published in the Gazette, authorise a rail infrastructure owner to close any railway line, or part of a railway line, on land within the Greater Metropolitan Region.

(1B) The Minister may make an order under subsection (1A) only if satisfied that the closure is required for the purposes of, or in connection with, State significant infrastructure within the meaning of the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act 1979. An order does not take effect until the carrying out of the State significant infrastructure is approved under Part 5.1 of that Act.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

9News with a piece on Bella Vista today.
Very similar to Tallawong with the bright green glass replaced by bright orange.

https://twitter.com/9NewsSyd/status/105 ... 01472?s=19
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I found out today that every 2nd metro train service (50%) will have an operator on board. Only the other 50% will be completely staffless. On the flip side, there will only be a maximum of 1 staff at each station at any given time, if there is any.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I always get piled on when I mention that just about every element of this line and its trains reminds me of Perth. Now I look at these stations as they emerge to completion and they remind me of um, er .... Perth!
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

rogf24 wrote:I don't know if this has been mentioned before but I found out today that every 2nd metro train service (50%) will have an operator on board. Only the other 50% will be completely staffless. On the flip side, there will only be a maximum of 1 staff at each station at any given time, if there is any.
They will be 'customer service assistants' or something like that. They will not be operators.
The DLR in London have 'Passenger Service Agents' that in the early days they called "Train Captains". Every DLR train has one on board.

Although as typical for automated systems, I would expect those CSAs and most station staff will receive training and accreditation to operate the trains should the need arise.
Some systems run a couple of trips in the mornings or do few runs on Sunday mornings under 'coded manual' control so that the staff get practice at driving.

I've ridden a Singapore Circle line train one Sunday morning that was being driven on 'coded manual' - the driver's console was showing the target speed as sent from the signalling. Normally that target speed would be sent to the 'auto driver', but in 'coded manual' mode a human has to decide what throttle/brake inputs are required to maintain the target speed. The ATP will intervene if the target speed is exceeded.
I don't believe they do full manual (simulate signalling system failed, no ATP backup) driving with passengers on board.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Some shots of Macquarie Park renovations
https://twitter.com/TenNewsSydney/statu ... 32099?s=19
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

Another executive appointment. Anyone care to guess where he comes from? https://www.masstransitmag.com/press_re ... ssrail-ltd
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

What has that got to do with this thread?
Living in the Shire.
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

"London Underground Director of Network Operations Nigel Holness will step up to the role of managing director. He will take up his previously-announced position of deputy chief executive for Metro Trains Sydney at a later date." :D
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Looks like the metro might be going out to Yagoona because there's no space at Bankstown. They should use the money saved from scaling down the rebuilding/conversion to build an underground station at Bankstown so it can go straight to Liverpool later.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/yag ... 50gyk.html
neilrex

Post by neilrex »

metro should go to sefton and restore the lidcombe to Cabramatta line.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

https://www.transport.nsw.gov.au/news-a ... ct-awarded

Metro on track as $1.376 billion contract awarded
21 Nov 2018

The NSW Government today awarded a $1.376 billion contract to help deliver the new world-class Sydney Metro, expanding the city’s new metro railway into the CBD and beyond to Bankstown.

Transport and Infrastructure Minister Andrew Constance today welcomed this major investment.

“We’re currently digging twin new metro tunnels between Chatswood and Sydenham - this is the contract that will turn these tunnels into a working railway,” Mr Constance said.

“This major investment extends metro rail from Sydney’s booming north west, delivering a new 66 kilometre railway for Sydney in 2024.”

The $1.376 line-wide contract was awarded to Systems Connect (as an unincorporated Joint Venture between CPB Contractors and UGL) and includes:

31 kilometres of underground railway track to be laid in the twin railway tunnels from Chatswood to Sydenham;
31 kilometres of overhead power equipment and 11 new substations to power the metro from Chatswood to Bankstown;
Installation of over 350km of high voltage, low voltage and tunnel service cabling
Connecting the railway tracks from the end of Sydney Metro at Chatswood to the new tracks into the city;
The expansion of the Sydney Metro Trains Facility at Rouse Hill to accommodate 37 new trains for Sydney Metro City & Southwest;
The construction of the Sydney Metro Trains Facility - South at Marrickville;
Installation of tunnel equipment such as ventilation, drainage and emergency evacuation and monitoring equipment as well as the fit out of the tunnel ventilation and high voltage equipment in the seven new underground stations.
“As part of our plan to improve transport, new metro rail will help give people more choice on how they get around Sydney,” Mr Constance said.

Due to the massive scale of the Sydney Metro City & Southwest project, the final contract value may vary due to ongoing fine-tuning and optimisation involving the 14 other major contracts.

This is the seventh Sydney Metro City & Southwest contract to be awarded.

The Sydney Metro City & Southwest project budget range has been set at $11.5 billion to $12.5 billion.

The final project budget will be confirmed once all major contracts are awarded, following the same process used for the $8.3 billion Sydney Metro Northwest.
swtt

Post by swtt »

mandonov wrote: The $1.376 line-wide contract was awarded to Systems Connect

That's a rather inexpensive metro line construction cost :lol: (doomed for budget overruns....)
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

swtt wrote:
mandonov wrote: The $1.376 line-wide contract was awarded to Systems Connect

That's a rather inexpensive metro line construction cost :lol: (doomed for budget overruns....)
Whats a billion dollars or so between "friends"?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
grog

Post by grog »

At 88m per dual track km is is right about correct for track, signal and power installation.

Edit: actually it doesn't include signals, just track and power.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

For those who weren't at last weeks open day at Norwest, some highlights:

The main entrance canopy looking towards the skylight garden.

There's two escalators and one lift from this entrance, and from what I could see, the same for the secondary entrance across the road. The tunnel under Norwest Blvd is where that first aid booth is, and beside that is where Opal machines will be located.

The skylights from the garden above deliver light to the platforms below.

4 escalators and 2 lifts serve the platform below. Every escalator in the station is very fast; almost Perth fast.

Still very much under construction, with faults in the screen doors to be fixed noted at several places in this writing.

A fully completed section of screen doors.

The lighting is quite pleasant, and it's nice to have natural air and light from above.

The lifts are still incomplete.

There isn't much seating at the station, but the frequency of service make it okay. I saw 4 of these double sided stands on the platform.

One of several info/help points that will video link you to the control centre. Necessary as I was told the station will be completely unstaffed.

Overall a great day, and a really high quality facility. The finish is top notch.

I asked one of the staff if the metal panel at the base of the platform screens were covering lights to indicate an incoming train. He said no, they’re lights to tell you what station it is and what the next and previous ones are.

Each station is colour coded on a gradient from dark green (Tallawong) to red (Cherrybrook). You can see this when looking at the accent colours of each station, so for instance Norwest is orange so all the decorative glass etc is orange.

The lights on the ground will on the far ends of the platform indicate the colour of the next station in that direction, with the colour through the middle indicating the current station for those inside the actual train to see at a glance where they are.

Another thing I asked was about a teal coloured panel on the track side of the platform doors. The train is meant to line up within 15cm either side of the doors, but if for some reason the train doors open but the platform one doesn’t, then those inside the train just need to press the button to open it. If the train overshoots past that 15cm then it’ll reverse itself to the correct position.

For a more thorough look at the station I recommend this post on SkyscraperCity: https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showpost ... count=3819
Last edited by mandonov on Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

And for those who missed this one, Kellyville will be having a similar event on the 9th: https://secure.tradevent.com.au/SydneyM ... ville2018/
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Sydneysiders will quickly reduce all that lovely stuff to grot!
ed24

Post by ed24 »

I don't have any problem with driverless trains but I'm surprised they won't have at least one staff member in each station.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”