Sydney Metro - Tallawong to Bankstown

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
Tonymercury

Re: NSW Future Rail Plan - NWRL/Metro/Harbour Crossing

Post by Tonymercury »

I'd still wager that there may be some recovery time in there.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

The other end of the 'harbour Metro' is working at full speed. The tunnel portal hole is getting bigger by the day. The tunnel segment plant appears to be now operating as tunnel segments are starting to stockpile alongside the building. What will probably the control centre/workshop for the tunnel machines is still a frame but also proceeding rapidly.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Saw something on a TV news a couple of days ago, with Constance and the new TBMs, also the plant that is making the concrete liner segments,
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
jpp42

Post by jpp42 »

matthewg wrote:The other end of the 'harbour Metro' is working at full speed. The tunnel portal hole is getting bigger by the day. The tunnel segment plant appears to be now operating as tunnel segments are starting to stockpile alongside the building. What will probably the control centre/workshop for the tunnel machines is still a frame but also proceeding rapidly.
What location are you referring to here?
boronia

Post by boronia »

@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

SMH produces headline to generate predictable shock, horror reaction from their inner city-dwelling readers. Am I the only one not to find a problem with this? Sydney is becoming a megacity requiring more residential stock, people need to get over it.
Frosty

Post by Frosty »

^ I thought inner city dwellers would be at happy since its not in their backyard its out in North West Sydney isn't this what they wanted. I guess their scared it could come to a station near them.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Frosty wrote:^ I thought inner city dwellers would be at happy since its not in their backyard its out in North West Sydney isn't this what they wanted. I guess their scared it could come to a station near them.
Well it will be coming to a station near them on the Bankstown line.

Yes, if I were living in the inner west I'd be absolutely horrified at the prospect of far more frequent services and a faster journey (and not that much less seats per hour), so much so that I'd sell up and move to Wollongong where I could still enjoy the pleasures of a traditional double deck service, sitting on a church pew for 1.5 hours (if not standing for 1.5 hours). Life is really tough in the inner west, what with sacrificing valuable capuccino time for the ordeal of the mental strain of choosing between the many train, tram and bus services available. Life is certainly simpler when you only have one mode that comes at convenient turn-up-and-go memory headways every one or two hours. :wink: :lol:
Linto63

Post by Linto63 »

tonyp wrote:
SMH produces headline to generate predictable shock, horror reaction from their inner city-dwelling readers. Am I the only one not to find a problem with this? Sydney is becoming a megacity requiring more residential stock, people need to get over it.
They might have to accept it, but they don't have to like it. :)
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

From Sydney Metro's Facebook page - a train testing on the Windsor Rd bridge:

boronia

Post by boronia »

@ The Museum of Fire.
boronia

Post by boronia »

https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw/bri ... 4zs0j.html

They are going to have this project finished by September?
@ The Museum of Fire.
grog

Post by grog »

I’m guessing that is bad reporting. It doesn’t say that but is worded in a way that implies it.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

I hope that is completed in time. The new lane on Epping Rd westbound starting at Essex St has been quite helpful in the PM but they should have started this westbound lane all the way back near the high school where the bus lane ends now. Usually, heading eastbound, Epping Rd is pretty good in the morning all the way and is no problem until about Culloden Rd but there's a bus lane to cover this section.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

rogf24 wrote:I hope that is completed in time. The new lane on Epping Rd westbound starting at Essex St has been quite helpful in the PM but they should have started this westbound lane all the way back near the high school where the bus lane ends now. Usually, heading eastbound, Epping Rd is pretty good in the morning all the way and is no problem until about Culloden Rd but there's a bus lane to cover this section.
It certainly won't be completed before the metro opens, let alone before the ECRL shutdown, which is only two and a half months away. As it involves major construction widening the bridge, it's still got to go through the whole approvals process, so it could be a couple of years at least before it's actually completed. The new westbound lane from Essex St to the bridge is for left turning traffic into Blaxland Rd only (before the bridge) and from my observation is hardly used, apart from those smart arses who try and cut into the middle lane to cross the bridge. It is possible to make a left turn before Blaxland Rd to reach it. It just demonstrates the shortsightedness of not including the bridge widening as part of the original road widening project. It was just penny pinching. It could have been well on its way to completion by now if they'd shown a bit more foresight.

Even so, it's only a band-aid solution to the broader issue of the limited number of major east-west road crossings of the Northern Line between West Ryde and Epping. The Eastwood County Road from Epping Road, North Ryde to Kissing Point Road, Dundas, which runs mid-way between West Ryde and Epping, is the only long term solution. The 7 lane wide Eastwood Rail Overbridge was built as part of this project and the connecting links with North Ryde and Dundas need to be completed as a matter of urgency.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

Transtopic wrote:The new westbound lane from Essex St to the bridge is for left turning traffic into Blaxland Rd only (before the bridge) and from my observation is hardly used, apart from those smart arses who try and cut into the middle lane to cross the bridge.
Buses use it as an unofficial bus lane it seems.
swtt

Post by swtt »

rogf24 wrote:
Transtopic wrote:The new westbound lane from Essex St to the bridge is for left turning traffic into Blaxland Rd only (before the bridge) and from my observation is hardly used, apart from those smart arses who try and cut into the middle lane to cross the bridge.
Buses use it as an unofficial bus lane it seems.
At least it benefits the long suffering M54 passengers. Unfortunately it's too difficult to install a bus priority signal at the Blaxland Road/Langston Pl intersection, as it also needs to allow for the left turns.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

swtt wrote:At least it benefits the long suffering M54 passengers. Unfortunately it's too difficult to install a bus priority signal at the Blaxland Road/Langston Pl intersection, as it also needs to allow for the left turns.
Given they knocked down houses in the area, they could have at least put in 2 lanes near Langston Pl, one for turning left and another for bus queue jumping with signal priority.
MLVD

Post by MLVD »

360 walk through of the train:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyQ2JP8L7Kc

First glimpse of the post-Metro network map:
Capture.JPG
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Post by Fleet Lists »

Can we get any better quality??
Living in the Shire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

Screenshot from the video. Don't think possible to get any better.

In any event, its old stickers - the bigger line only one still clearly says Cudgegong Road
boronia

Post by boronia »

@ The Museum of Fire.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Yeah a definite disbenefit for Bankstown:

And about 5 minutes faster to Central.
rogf24

Post by rogf24 »

One of the things the council mentioned was gap fillers, can't they just extend out at the same time as the platform screen doors so there is no travel time penalty (the one in New York is terrible).
grog

Post by grog »

I’d also hope that they can implement selective door opening in case of failure, i.e. the PSD and train door could be programmed to not open in case of gap filler failure to prevent the whole stop needing to be skipped.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”