Sydney Metro - Tallawong to Bankstown

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
ed24

Re: NSW Future Rail Plan - NWRL/Metro/Harbour Crossing

Post by ed24 »

Engineering wrote:They were clearly planning for a North Shore Sydney Trains delay today on the metro.

At Chatswood, the indicators on the metro platforms were showing an announcement with words to the effect of .....

“Due to network issues, metro trains are running from Tallawong to Epping only. Customers are advised to change at Epping for Sydney Trains services”.

(I didn’t catch the exact words).
Better leave some StationLink buses ready!
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I suspect that the interurbans at Epping will be popular - much to the distress of Coasties.
Transport Buff
Favourite Vehicle: R9 Volvo Volgren artic

Post by Transport Buff »

tonyp wrote:I suspect that the interurbans at Epping will be popular - much to the distress of Coasties.
Well to comment on that, it takes 24 mins to get from Epping to Central via Strathfield on the Central Coast Line.
It takes almost 40 mins via Chatswood with the Metro. It takes 26 mins alone from Chatswood to Central on the T1.

This is as of 26 May, with the North West metro being implemented in our train/metro network

I suppose this sorta proves this theory...
Love Volvo B12BLEA, Mercedes O405NH, Scania K310UB, Custom Denning Element
Excited for:
-Sydney Metro C&SW, West, WSydAirport
-NIF
-PLR
-WestConnex
YouTube: www.youtube.com/@TransportBuff
mandonov

Post by mandonov »

andy_centralcoast

Post by andy_centralcoast »

Transport Buff wrote:
tonyp wrote:I suspect that the interurbans at Epping will be popular - much to the distress of Coasties.
Well to comment on that, it takes 24 mins to get from Epping to Central via Strathfield on the Central Coast Line.
It takes almost 40 mins via Chatswood with the Metro. It takes 26 mins alone from Chatswood to Central on the T1.
Suspect it's why Eastwood was ditched as a stop but the CCN trains kept the same running time. This created more dwell at Epping, which helps with Metro interchanging.

However, I don't think Epping will be a popular interchange, especially for those going to Wynyard or Town Hall. It's a fairly long walk at Epping from the underground platforms to Platform 1, then a congested slow walk at Central from the intercity platforms up to platform 16/17. I'd assume the majority of people would prefer the interchange at Chatswood - walking just a few steps across the platform instead, but I guess we'll find out in a few weeks.
Last edited by andy_centralcoast on Tue May 14, 2019 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

andy_centralcoast wrote:
Transport Buff wrote: Well to comment on that, it takes 24 mins to get from Epping to Central via Strathfield on the Central Coast Line.
Suspect it's why Eastwood was ditched as a stop but the CCN trains kept the same running time.
Gosford trains won't stop at Eastwood anymore??
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Transtopic

Post by Transtopic »

Swift wrote:Gosford trains won't stop at Eastwood anymore??
No, not unless they eventually build Parramatta Council's original light rail proposal from Parramatta to Macquarie University via Eastwood along the County Road corridor. It would branch from the Carlingford Line light rail route at Dundas. Extending the light rail from Carlingford to Epping has quietly slipped off the agenda. As an alternative option, a future metro line from Parramatta to Macquarie Park could also run via a shorter and faster route through Eastwood.
andy_centralcoast

ed24 wrote:
Engineering wrote:They were clearly planning for a North Shore Sydney Trains delay today on the metro.

At Chatswood, the indicators on the metro platforms were showing an announcement with words to the effect of .....

“Due to network issues, metro trains are running from Tallawong to Epping only. Customers are advised to change at Epping for Sydney Trains services”.

(I didn’t catch the exact words).
Better leave some StationLink buses ready!
I assume Epping to Chatswood becomes bus replacement in that scenario then? That's a lot of buses to keep on standby!
Swift

Post by Swift »

Transtopic wrote:
Swift wrote:Gosford trains won't stop at Eastwood anymore??
No, not unless they eventually build Parramatta Council's original light rail proposal from Parramatta to Macquarie University via Eastwood along the County Road corridor. It would branch from the Carlingford Line light rail route at Dundas. Extending the light rail from Carlingford to Epping has quietly slipped off the agenda. As an alternative option, a future metro line from Parramatta to Macquarie Park could also run via a shorter and faster route through Eastwood.
I think a manned mission to Alpha Centauri will be completed before we ever see that!
andy_centralcoast

Re: NSW Railway Observations 2019

Noticed this morning that a new track is being laid between Chatswood and Artarmon, on the outside of the existing line, similar to the Epping to Thornleigh one. Although I assume at Chatswood this will be for the Metro rather than any capacity upgrades of the existing North Shore Line.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Most likely a relocation of the line to allow for metro tunnel access construction?
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

There's a whole series of track moves that need to take place over the next few years as the 2nd stage of metro conpletes.

Initially the existing track pair is shifted to the East to provide the most room for tunnel entrance construction and the final position of the up shore line.

Then they build a bridge over the tunnel entrance, and slew the down shore line to the west so it's on the outside.

And then finally lay the middle pairs into the new Metro tunnel to the city

(Edits to up/down)
Last edited by moa999 on Thu May 16, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kypros1992

Post by kypros1992 »

moa999 wrote:There's a whole series of track moves that need to take place over the next few years as the 2nd stage of metro conpletes.

Initially the existing track pair is shifted to the East to provide the most room for tunnel entrance construction and the final position of the down shore line.

Then they build a bridge over the tunnel entrance, and slew the up shore line to the west so it's on the outside.

And then finally lay the middle pairs into the new Metro tunnel to the city
correct
Swift

Post by Swift »

What a fantastic opportunity to build an intermediate station between Crowie and Chatswood to serve the catchment including the Artarmon industrial area and Gore hill. It is a metro after all and I think the spacing between Chatswood and Crows Nest is excessive, especially in such an urbanised section of the north side of Sydney. Too much dependence on buses to do the heavy lifting here.
gld59

Post by gld59 »

moa999 wrote:and slew the up shore line to the west
down :wink:
stupid_girl

Post by stupid_girl »

Swift wrote:What a fantastic opportunity to build an intermediate station between Crowie and Chatswood to serve the catchment including the Artarmon industrial area and Gore hill. It is a metro after all and I think the spacing between Chatswood and Crows Nest is excessive, especially in such an urbanised section of the north side of Sydney. Too much dependence on buses to do the heavy lifting here.
I think it was rejected due to insufficient demand.
GazzaOak

Post by GazzaOak »

stupid_girl wrote:
Swift wrote:What a fantastic opportunity to build an intermediate station between Crowie and Chatswood to serve the catchment including the Artarmon industrial area and Gore hill. It is a metro after all and I think the spacing between Chatswood and Crows Nest is excessive, especially in such an urbanised section of the north side of Sydney. Too much dependence on buses to do the heavy lifting here.
I think it was rejected due to insufficient demand.
Yeah, I think the spacing is crap.... but however I think if a metro station were to be built there, its would end up like Flagstuff station in Melbourne (think Flagstuff changed it to weekend operations in recent times, but however in the past they only had weekday operation). So im think the government didn't want to bother there.

So Artarmon industrial area/Gore hill station would end up being a weekday operation with the station being closed on weekends/public hoilday due to insufficient demand.
White ribbon day is most sexist thing ever
PaulSEO

Post by PaulSEO »

If you don't think developers would flock to that location, then you don't know how Sydney works. I asked Rodd Staples about the lack of a station at this location and he replied that the North Shore has little in the way of industrial areas as it is. By sticking a station there, that would gut the industrial area he said.

Which may also explain why there's a big gap between Waterloo and Sydenham. Alexandria would likewise be lost to industry if a station was put there. It's a rare sign of environmental responsibility from this Government.
boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Ahrens Fox; GMC PD4107

Post by boronia »

Alexandria doesn't have much "industry" left.

It has become mainly a bulk retail and warehousing zone squeezed in between Mascot and Green Square. Not that this is a bad thing.
Preserving fire service history
@ The Museum of Fire.
matthewg

Post by matthewg »

PaulSEO wrote:
Which may also explain why there's a big gap between Waterloo and Sydenham. Alexandria would likewise be lost to industry if a station was put there. It's a rare sign of environmental responsibility from this Government.
Environmental responsibility ?. Say how ?. Forcing the people that work there to use diesel buses (or more likely, drive private cars) to get to work is 'environmental responsibility'?

It would appear this government only wants to move workers from residential towers to CBD office towers. Any other sort of housing or industry can 'get lost'.

Still wondering what all our 'service economy' is supposed to service after we have driven all industrial production out of the country.
moa999

Post by moa999 »

I think it's more that if you put a station in the Artarmon Industrial areas, then the property prices would rise, so would rents, and you'd gradually squeeze out most of that light industrial (which is mostly auto, building and engineering related)
grog

Post by grog »

Leading to people in the local area having to travel further to access those services and jobs.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

I wonder if PaulSEO meant to use the words "economic responsibility" rather than "environmental", that is to say that the government was being responsible towards the local economy by protecting its employment by not building a station there, which would have had the effect of encouraging replacement of the industrial activity by residential development.
Swift

Post by Swift »

Saving Artarmon industrial area from becoming another Wolli Creek has to be a good thing. Sydney has lost too many facilities to faraway outlying areas already, for the sake of more housing.
Last edited by Swift on Fri May 17, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunnyyan
Favourite Vehicle: MB OC500LE CC CB60 CNG

Post by sunnyyan »

Spotted a westbound Metro train overshooting the platform a little at Chatswood today. The system was able to reverse the train back.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”