NSW Ferry Discussion until December 2017.

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
paulbrown3

NSW Ferry Discussion until December 2017.

Post by paulbrown3 »

Hopefully this can be an ongoing topic

I am going to the worlds funniest island festival on cockatoo island. Does anyone know who will be doing the ferry transfer as Sydney ferries has Issued a notice about cancellation of cockatoo isl. Services
paulbrown3

Re: NSW Goverment/Private Ferry Discussion Oct/Nov 2009

Post by paulbrown3 »

What I saw going out to cockatoo i.

Rosman's lithgow, radar royale & proclaim?. The "all occaisaion cruises" vessel. "MV SUN CAT" on loan from Townsville? To manly fast ferries (had this last nite - very comfy, tv. Thought it was an ex sf jet cat)
Stoney!
Favourite Vehicle: Mercedes Benz o405

Post by Stoney! »

This ongoing topic is going well lol.

Stoney!
Proud Volkswagen Golf owner...

Mercees o305g:- one of the best buses ever built
ed K

Post by ed K »

Well at leasat i can report that LADY NORTHCOTT was doing very well today perfoming manly services.
newcastle man 2

Post by newcastle man 2 »

I'd much rather travel on a Lady Class accross the heads, they handle it so much better.
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Post by Swift »

Who make the diesel engines in the Freshwater and lady class ferries?Are they the original supplier?
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Glen

Post by Glen »

News from Cronulla Ferries:

Notices

Monday 2 November 2009

Ferry service Cronulla - Bundeena - Cronulla

The lower 2 landings on the temporary wharf at Bundeena have collapsed. Our last ferry departing Cronulla today will be 11.30am. Last ferry departing Bundeena will be 12pm

Buses:

Departing Bundeena 3pm and 5.30pm

Departing Cronulla

1 bus 2.30pm

2 busess 3.30pm (school children first)

1 bus 4.30pm

1 bus 5.30pm

1 bus 6.30pm

Updates will be posted here. Sutherland Shire Council has advised repairs should be completed by Tuesday afternoon. We anticipate buses replacing ferry services again Tuesday afternoon.
thunderbird

Post by thunderbird »

not the first time this has happened. I wonder if communication between ferries/replacement buses/cityrail was adequate enough to coordinate city commuters jumping off the train at sutherland for these buses???
Bovways

Post by Bovways »

Saturday just gone (October 31) the Rosman Royale was on hire to Sydney Ferries operating on the inner harbour loop. I didn't realise that Sydney Ferries was still short of vehicles. The comment was made it was if Sydney Buses came to Tempe and hired a double decker as they were short of buses. Loved it though!

C :)
Glen

Post by Glen »

Glen wrote:News from Cronulla Ferries:

Notices

Monday 2 November 2009

Ferry service Cronulla - Bundeena - Cronulla

The lower 2 landings on the temporary wharf at Bundeena have collapsed. Our last ferry departing Cronulla today will be 11.30am. Last ferry departing Bundeena will be 12pm
By Wednesday 4th the web site said normal services resumed.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Bovways wrote: I didn't realise that Sydney Ferries was still short of vehicles.
I guess likewise that Sydney buses is sometimes short of vessels. :)
paulbrown3

Post by paulbrown3 »

Deanes 5013 wrote:Who make the diesel engines in the Freshwater and lady class ferries?Are they the original supplier?
according to wikipedia http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_Ferries#section_4 diatshu that's who
Special_K

Post by Special_K »

Parramatta Express Ferry

I travelled with my son today to do some harbour walks. We caught the 7.16am express Rivercat from Rydalmere Shane Gould I counted just over 20 passengers on leaving the wharf with next stop the Quay.
At just after 7.10am there were no less than 3 Rivercats at John Street Rydalmere. Marlene Matthews waiting to leave on all-wharves service at 7.15am, another Rivercat (forgotten the name) arriving at 7.11am then commenced a turning movement with the Express arriving from Parra waiting for the 7.15am to leave.

Crew were very friendly and seemed to know some of the few passengers on board. Saw two private cats heading upstream to replace the Parra Express Rivercat former rosters.

Heres hoping that the number of passengers improve in the near future!
theflyingoreo
Favourite Vehicle: Volvo B7RLE, ST.2250

Post by theflyingoreo »

Query regarding former SFC Jetcats:

Have they all been sold off? I was just heading past the yard and they were nowhere to be seen.

Also most likely old news but most of SFC's Rivercats have now had their new logos applied. Shame though :( I prefer the older design.
<Insert Signature here>
Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Yes, according to Ferries Australia, Sea Eagle departed Rozelle Bay on 8 September, followed by Blue Fin and Sir David Martin on 15 Sept. They've gone to Korea and the Phillipines, not sure which one to where though
JigsawMassacre

Post by JigsawMassacre »

Special_K wrote:Parramatta Express Ferry

I travelled with my son today to do some harbour walks. We caught the 7.16am express Rivercat from Rydalmere Shane Gould I counted just over 20 passengers on leaving the wharf with next stop the Quay.
At just after 7.10am there were no less than 3 Rivercats at John Street Rydalmere. Marlene Matthews waiting to leave on all-wharves service at 7.15am, another Rivercat (forgotten the name) arriving at 7.11am then commenced a turning movement with the Express arriving from Parra waiting for the 7.15am to leave.

Crew were very friendly and seemed to know some of the few passengers on board. Saw two private cats heading upstream to replace the Parra Express Rivercat former rosters.

Heres hoping that the number of passengers improve in the near future!
It's a similar situation in the evenings as near-empty Rivercats queue up at the wharves. This silly River Express service is a completely predictable fiasco. An all stops peak hour service to Parramatta and Circular Quay would have a legitimate public transport role. This slow, infrequent and expensive tourist trap does not. Perhaps the government was being clever and trying to pile up the losses on the heavily loss-making Parramatta River service to create a pretext for abolishing it entirely. But from what the ALP have shown so far, incompetence, grovelling to the maritime unions and financial irresponsibility are the more likely explanation.

Admin: Following posts on privatisation have been moved to a separate thread which was also covering the same subject.
fm2790

Re: NSW Goverment/Private Ferry Discussion

Post by fm2790 »

ed K wrote:Well at leasat i can report that LADY NORTHCOTT was doing very well today perfoming manly services.

You should hope so. Lady Northcott and Wakehurst were rostered on the City-Manly run for who knows how long in the late 1970's-early to mid 1980's.If the ferried could cope then, I don't see why they wouldn't be able to cope now.
P1497
Favourite Vehicle: P1497

Post by P1497 »

"Royale" working the 16:40 Quay - Hayes St on Sunday last, 2010-01-17. Must be the oldest vessel SF have used for a long while - when was she built? Perhaps the oldest to be used since the last of the wooden Ks or the wooden Ladys.
P1497 - my favourite Sydney tram
What if there was as much money as necessary for schools and hospitals,
and they had to hold a raffle to buy a new warship?

BUSES KEEP CLEAR
Rclasstramcar
Favourite Vehicle: 1955 Morris Minor-1961 Hillman

Post by Rclasstramcar »

Bovways wrote:The comment was made it was if Sydney Buses came to Tempe and hired a double decker as they were short of buses. Loved it though!

C :)
I think that's what they actually did once about 4 or 5 years ago. A pleasant surprise, really :D :!:.

Regards,
Ben
Return Sydney's trams
Vote Morrison and his Government out this election.
JAN 26-INVASION DAY
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

P1497 wrote:"Royale" working the 16:40 Quay - Hayes St on Sunday last, 2010-01-17. Must be the oldest vessel SF have used for a long while - when was she built? Perhaps the oldest to be used since the last of the wooden Ks or the wooden Ladys.
Royale was built a century ago - in 1974. :)
P1497

Post by P1497 »

Was there an earlier Royale? IFIRC, the "Regalia" is the "Rodney" which capsized as a two-deck ferry in 1929 when seeing off the American Great White Fleet and a mob of top-deck passengers rushed from one side to the other. "Radar" must be getting on a bit too.

BUSES KEEP CLEAR
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

P1497 wrote:Was there an earlier Royale? IFIRC, the "Regalia" is the "Rodney" which capsized as a two-deck ferry in 1929 when seeing off the American Great White Fleet and a mob of top-deck passengers rushed from one side to the other. "Radar" must be getting on a bit too.
No earlier Royale. Radar was built in 1947.
Rclasstramcar
Favourite Vehicle: 1955 Morris Minor-1961 Hillman

Post by Rclasstramcar »

P1497 wrote:Was there an earlier Royale? IFIRC, the "Regalia" is the "Rodney" which capsized as a two-deck ferry in 1929
The tragedy occurred during 1938 as opposed to 1929.

Cheers,
Ben
Return Sydney's trams
Vote Morrison and his Government out this election.
JAN 26-INVASION DAY
Glen

Post by Glen »

Interesting Letter to the Editor saying that the 7.00am ferry from Parramatta usually picks up 6 passengers.

http://digitaledition.parramattaadvertiser.com.au/

Going well ! :roll:
P1497

Post by P1497 »

What was Lady Northcott up to today? Came into Mosman Bay wharf c. 12:15, next seen docking at CQ No2, later seen reversing back to No 2 near the Opera House. Shakedown after overhaul?

BUSES KEEP CLEAR

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”