tram monument

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion
captainch
Favourite Vehicle: was 3533 m/o 687

tram monument

Post by captainch »

went past what was the old ryde teminus both tram & bus its all been bulldozed, does anyone know if the early tram monument has been preserved or has it been bulldozed?????????/ :twisted:
"CAPTAIN.C.H "Lives in the home of "SUGAR CANE' not "chickens" :lol: :lol:.........."INGHAM NTH QLD"
Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Re: tram monument

Post by Swift »

I have memories of catching the Deanes service on the 89 to Top Ryde via Hospital and seeing all the Mercedes parked there in their UTA colours off Devlin St.

I actually set foot there for the first time recently .Glad I did!!
NSW, the state that embraces mediocrity.
Ted

Post by Ted »

The tram terminus at Ryde was named/called Hatton's Flat.

What gave rise to that being so called?
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

That was the old name of the locality from the 'field of mars' days. Probably named after a local farmer.
Integrated ticketing is a matter for State Government procrastination.
Member 573
Favourite Vehicle: Things with wheels and wings.

Post by Member 573 »

The present Tram monument ( if it's still extant ) is not the original. The original was vandalised beyond repair some years back. A new monument was fashioned by Monumental Mason Kevin Tyrell. This man is known to me as he is the secretary of the Vincent owners' Club of NSW, still living though retired in the Ryde area and was once the chief Mason at the Field of Marrs Cemetery. His son now runs the business under the same name.

Does anyone know the point at which the tram line finished, in relation to the old Bus Terminus?
Dave Wilson

Post by Dave Wilson »

Tram terminus was smack bang in the middle of the old bus terminus.
Member 2298

Post by Member 2298 »

captainch wrote:went past what was the old ryde teminus both tram & bus its all been bulldozed, does anyone know if the early tram monument has been preserved or has it been bulldozed?????????/ :twisted:
It has to be bulldozed to make way for new basement car parking entrances that cars will go under from Devlin Street outside the council offices and overhead pedestrian bridges, all leading to the new Top Ryde City Shopping Centre.

The monument you are referring to that has been relocated to behind the council's offices just near Parkes Street.

The RSL Monument has moved to Ryde Park and has just been dedicated one month ago. That's none of the layover and it's buildings left. The bus stop used for 515, 518, 534 services has closed down & shelter removed.
Rail Bus
Favourite Vehicle: Tigers, Mk2 Mercs, and trams

Post by Rail Bus »

Glad I took a number of photos of buses there over the years. I go past this site everyday in my Mk2 Merc, and wonder what sort of eye-sore we are going to be left with afterwards, and where the new bus terminus will be. My guess is that it will be in some feral-infested corner of the new shopping centre, totaly non-conducive to good photography. :(
New website up and running, showing mostly trains and some trams.
See: http://www.flickr.com/photos/w6-983/
Cogo44

Post by Cogo44 »

Ted wrote:The tram terminus at Ryde was named/called Hatton's Flat.

What gave rise to that being so called?
Joseph Hatton (my great-great-great grandfather) was a First Fleeter convict who received a 50 acre grant from Governor Phillip in 1792. He sold the property to James Squire in 1802 and purchased the 30 acre grant of Thomas Jones closer to Top Ryde. Sometime around 1820 his son Joseph Hatton 11 (1800-1860) also purchased the 30 acre Edward Marsh 1794 grant that became known as Hatton’s Flat. His grandson Joseph Hatton 111 built Hatton's Cottage on this property in 1884. My grandmother Aimee Higginbotham (née Hatton) was born in the cottage in 1887 and lived all of her life in Ryde. The cottage still stands near the Civic Centre.
Last edited by Cogo44 on Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

Is this the longest interval to reopen a topic thread?!

Hattons Flat in 1912. The tram terminus and waiting shed can be seen at left and the light-painted stanchions mark the tram line. St Annes is on the hill with the trees and the big old house is still there. The large building at left (Hampton Court Hotel aka Smiths Folly) has long since gone, now part of the shopping centre area.

Some more information, including the tramway monument, here:

https://www.ryde.nsw.gov.au/files/asset ... -trail.pdf
redroh

Post by redroh »

The monument was restored several years ago and placed on the kerb at the corner of Church St and Blaxland Rd a few metres from its original location in the middle of the intersection. It is quite clearly visible on Google Streetview.
tonyp

Post by tonyp »

There was a great photo, iirc posted on this forum some years ago, of the STM N class tram on display at the old terminus with a Hunters Hill bus alongside, but I can't locate it.

Return to “Discussion - Sydney / NSW”