• Advertisement

2019 NSW State election

Sydney / New South Wales Transport Discussion

Re: 2019 NSW State election

Postby Linto63 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:22 am

tonyp wrote:How anybody with a genuine interest in public transport can support them I don't know.
Because most of us consider public transport is one of many factors that we will weigh up before casting our vote.
Linto63

Postby Swift » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:34 am

Not to mention the Labaah party can't reverse the major transport projects now and might think XXX, we should have done this before and become another Neville Wran brand of Labaah government.
Sydney's single decker future.
Swift

Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Postby tonyp » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:30 am

There's absolutely zero chance they would be anything like the Wran government, they don't even have any transport vision for a start. The government has been busy locking down contracts as insurance and I hope that holds tight, especially for the Bankstown conversion. Hopefully the worst that could happen once the projects are completed are compromised operations (especially for trams) and no future extensions. It feels depressingly like preparation for war, especially when you're my age and have waited for decades for public transport in NSW to finally move forward again. Hopefully voters will appreciate that the Liberals have been doing so much on transport and that Labor isn't even in the ballpark, on top if its previous abysmal record.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby J_Busworth » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:34 pm

I understand the Liberals are typically the ones who deliver on the big-ticket transport item, unfortunately transport is only one small part of the decision for most people, even for those who consider themselves genuinely interested in public transport. Is Labor ready for government? Are the Liberals doing a great job? I don't think yes can be the answer to either of those, but that has less to do with transport and more to do with other parts of their platforms.

I do note their Sydney Metro West and South West Rail Link extension promises are missing from that policy page. Surely they would want to advertise the projects that they have previously claimed to have committed to. At this point I just want transparency and consultation, both things that the Liberals have no idea on.
https://transportnsw.wordpress.com
Eternally waiting for the Eastern Suburbs rail line to make it to Randwick
J_Busworth

Postby Swift » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:50 pm

tonyp wrote:There's absolutely zero chance they would be anything like the Wran government, they don't even have any transport vision for a start.

Didn't I learn that the brutal way when Bob, at last , got in. I wanted Fahey back! He was more like Wran!!
I was being very wishful when I said that about the next possible labor govt.
Swift

Postby STMPainter2018 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:59 pm

tonyp wrote:How anybody with a genuine interest in public transport can support them I don't know.

Well I do and I will so deal with it. 8)

But seriously, I have said this time and time again: it is not just public transport I care about; there are billions of other issues in this state that I care about as well, issues I trust Labor to handle far better than the Libs, who've done a lot stuff sure, but they've bungled it SO BADLY. At this point, I'd rather have a government that underdevelops than overdevelops. Sorry 'bout it.
STMPainter2018

Postby Rails » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:34 pm

I expect Labor to win this election and in part I think that's because your average Joe has no understanding of the difference between State and Federal issues. The NSW Liberals will take the brunt for a lot of what the Federal Government has done. State goes to the polls first, cops the backlash. I wanted to see the Federal (Liberal) Government go first and get smashed.

While they certainly stuffed up the Light Rail implementation (or more accurately it seems TNSW did) I certainly have no feeling of NSW being some bungling mob as suggested on here, they have done a lot right that no one seems to care about. In fact on the issues that people seem upset about I'm not sure how they could have dealt much different, or in fact how Labor would have done it any differently either. Its out of the control of a state Government.

NSW Labor give me no indication that they are ready to Govern, they remind me of Tony Abbott, whinge and say no to everything but offer no real alternative. Cancellation of everything is not an alternative. In fact on many of the complaints Labor are not actually saying they will do any different yet are being hailed as a good alternative. Bizarre. I wont be voting for NSW Labor that's for sure but plenty will be it seems. It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in the Infrastructure space.
Rails

Postby Swift » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:58 pm

I think people are getting the Loretta Swits with all the apartment towers appearing like carbuncles and they're going to blame the existing mob(sters), unfair as that may be -to an extent. It feels like it is being imposed like a communist city of the 60s, 70s & 80s. It certainly has that feel. Our way of life is being altered by a country of left leaning immigration policies, with fear of the dreaded R label for daring to consider a drastic cut in migration from unwanted and unneeded newcomers.
Swift

Postby tonyp » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:57 pm

The immigration is a result of bipartisan federal economic policy, it came from both left and right if you want to put it in those terms. The point is that the cities have to grow their infrastructure and services in parallel with the highest rate of population growth in Australia's history. NSW is well on the way, having to play both catchup (thanks to inaction of generations of previous governments), then once having caught up, moving ahead. If the momentum slackens at this point it will be a disaster. The great concern with Labor's lack of policy is that they have absolutely no apparent vision for this issue. That's absolutely alarming.
Perpetually on a T3 to "I. P. Pavlova, přestup na Metro. Příští zastávka, Náměsti Míru"
tonyp

Postby STMPainter2018 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:01 pm

Yes but at least the Powerhouse will be saved. And Windsor Bridge. And Macarthur's environment. NSW Labor, objectively speaking, are pretty useless but I've always said I trust them more with not destroying our heritage and landscape. Because they don't do anything...
STMPainter2018

Postby Stu » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:15 pm

stupid_girl wrote:
ay7744 wrote:https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/manly-daily/liberals-promise-dee-why-to-chatswood-rapid-bus-service-if-elected/news-story/31aab5159cc0f5653f0e67bd4d27de67

^ Second B-Line promised between Dee Why and Chatswood via Warringah Rd if LNP voted in.

I remember that Forest Coach Lines expressed their interest to introduce this service previously but it seems TfNSW wasn't interested at that time.
As it is very similar to existing route 136/E60, I wonder if Forest or STA will get it eventually.

Who knows... I say that because despite Forest operating the 141 Manly - Austlink service (still relative new,) STA created their own scheduling data for this route.

This is nothing new, talked about before although now that it is election time, it's time to bring out something that is easy to implement and attractive to the voters. The 136 was originally proposed to become metrobus M36 back when Labor were in control. The Ministry of Transport commissioned STA to assist with planning all metrobus routes across Sydney, some never came about, some were renumbered and I think that some became T-Way.

When the B-Line was in its infancy and 'BRT' was used to describe this future service, there was fierce speculation that Forest would be operating this service (and maybe all of Region 8) instead of STA which would be a kick in the teeth since STA were already in the early planning stages of B-Line in early 2016. The rtbu held a campaign in Region 8 'Don't Sell Our Buses' and there was considerable pressure from locals from within in the insular peninsular upon parliamentary members.

It is an established fact that metrobus brand and concept has gradually fallen out of favour with transport planners and now the B-Line is the new flavour. There have been a number of service updates to the 136 timetable in recent years, so when the 136 is converted into a high frequency service only minimal amount of money and resources will be required to bring the service up to the desired standards. Gradual investments may finally pay off in the long tearm.
Stu

Postby swtt » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:33 pm

I wonder whether this has progressed anywhere, and would it feature in a rehashed election announcement?

From the news article last year:

The buses are expected to be on the road after the M4 East opens in the middle of 2019.

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australi ... ar-AAAbsBM
swtt

Postby molybtek » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:56 pm

swtt wrote:I wonder whether this has progressed anywhere, and would it feature in a rehashed election announcement?

The buses are expected to be on the road after the M4 East opens in the middle of 2019.

I hope not, Parramatta Road is already a carpark... they should put the bus on the M4 like they do for the M2.
molybtek

Postby swtt » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:56 pm

molybtek wrote:
swtt wrote:I wonder whether this has progressed anywhere, and would it feature in a rehashed election announcement?

[quote]

I hope not, Parramatta Road is already a carpark... they should put the bus on the M4 like they do for the M2.[/quote]Where will such a route run to and from? City and Homebush express?

Sent from my Huawei Mate 20 Pro using Tapatalk
swtt

Bus contracts under labor tender or review/renew

Postby Campbelltown busboy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:07 pm

What would labor do when it comes to dealing with the Transport For NSW bus contracts if they win next Saturday’s state election will they keep the current tender process or will they bring back the old ministry of transport region network review process witch lead to ether Transport For NSW renewing a contract with the incumbent contract holding operator or a contract being split between multiple operators
Campbelltown busboy

Favourite Vehicle: MAN 19.320 Bustech VST

Postby Fleet Lists » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:36 pm

Keep i9n mind that Labor started this system before they lost power in 2011. In fact their plan went further in that there were to be further region amalgamations which were scrapped by Gladys.

So it could go either way.
Living in the Shire.
Fleet Lists
Administrator

Postby J_Busworth » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:20 pm

I was speaking to Jodi McKay on the sidelines of the Bring Back Our Buses event in Bondi on Thursday and she seemed to imply that the current contract system was here to stay under Labor. She made claims that State Transit will be properly resourced with a new special team dedicated to winning contracts currently held by private operators in the tenders next time they come up. No reference was made to specific operators or regions that will be targeted and it seemed as if STA would be tendering for all operational regions if they feasibly could do so.

Both the Greens person and Labor seemed to imply the reason STA only got a 3 year contract extension (to 2021) was so the Liberals could sell them off whilst they still held power, assuming they would be the victors in 2019. B-Line and Bondi-Link privatisation plans well developed and soon to be announced if you believe them. Both parties seemed very anti anything to do with the private sector and claimed that the private sector had no place at all in transport operations. I know a number on here who will disagree with their sentiments
Last edited by J_Busworth on Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
J_Busworth

Postby Campbelltown busboy » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:42 pm

J_Busworth wrote:I was speaking to Jodi McKay on the sidelines of the Bring Back Our Buses event in Bondi on Thursday and she seemed to imply that the current contract system was here to stay under Labor. She made claims that State Transit will be properly resourced with a new special team dedicated to winning contracts currently held by private operators in the tenders next time they come up. No reference was made to specific operators or regions that will be targeted and it seemed as if STA would be tendering for all operational regions if they feasibly could do so.

Both the Greens person and Labor seemed to imply the reason STA only got a 3 year contract extension (to 2021) was so the Liberals could sell them off whilst they still held power, assuming they would be the victors in 2019. B-Line and Bondi-Link privatisation plans well developed and soon to be announced if you believe them. Both parties seemed very anti anything to do with the private sector and claimed that they private sector had no place at all in transport operations. I know a number on here who will disagree with their sentiments
That would mean the end of the public transport arm of the TWU in NSW if the STA has all the bus contracts as the RTBU will take control of everything and Sydney Trains and NSW Trainlink will be reverted back to Cityrail and Country Link
Campbelltown busboy

Favourite Vehicle: MAN 19.320 Bustech VST

Postby Frosty » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:45 pm

J_Busworth wrote:I was speaking to Jodi McKay on the sidelines of the Bring Back Our Buses event in Bondi on Thursday and she seemed to imply that the current contract system was here to stay under Labor. She made claims that State Transit will be properly resourced with a new special team dedicated to winning contracts currently held by private operators in the tenders next time they come up. No reference was made to specific operators or regions that will be targeted and it seemed as if STA would be tendering for all operational regions if they feasibly could do so.

Both the Greens person and Labor seemed to imply the reason STA only got a 3 year contract extension (to 2021) was so the Liberals could sell them off whilst they still held power, assuming they would be the victors in 2019. B-Line and Bondi-Link privatisation plans well developed and soon to be announced if you believe them. Both parties seemed very anti anything to do with the private sector and claimed that the private sector had no place at all in transport operations. I know a number on here who will disagree with their sentiments

If Labor were to do that they could have STA at an arms length where it is owned by some holding or investment company which in turn is owned by the NSW Government.
Frosty

Postby burrumbus » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:48 pm

I do not possibly know how STA could win contracts from the private sector operators for the simple reason their cost structure remains higher than the privates.The only way they could win contracts was by tendering below cost.
We have seen several examples of the effects of that in Melbourne and in Adelaide and the resultant lack of quality.Like many Labor theories they just do not get the economic side of things.The Greens have even less of an idea-but thankfully they have zero chance of government.
When Labor does have a handle on the economic side of things they can be very effective in government.Remember the Hawke/Keating governments which were very good.
burrumbus

Postby burrumbus » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:05 am

tonyp wrote:The immigration is a result of bipartisan federal economic policy, it came from both left and right if you want to put it in those terms. The point is that the cities have to grow their infrastructure and services in parallel with the highest rate of population growth in Australia's history. NSW is well on the way, having to play both catchup (thanks to inaction of generations of previous governments), then once having caught up, moving ahead. If the momentum slackens at this point it will be a disaster. The great concern with Labor's lack of policy is that they have absolutely no apparent vision for this issue. That's absolutely alarming.

You are completely correct on this Tony.
The current explosive growth rates in mainly Sydney and Melbourne is the result of both sides of the political fence agreeing and promoting and implementing the high immigration rates.
To keep up with this requires heavy investment by mainly state governments in infrastructure.That is not only transport but health,roads,schools,water supply,sewerage and a large range of other things.I think the Liberal/National government and the Andrews Labor government in Victoria have made a pretty good fist of it.I think that was the main reason Labor got re elected in Victoria in such an huge manner was they were having a red hot go with the infrastructure.
I hope the Liberal/National government get re elected as they have in general tried very hard with the infrastructure and have the state's finances in excellent order and I just do not think Labor have a handle on the infrastructure issues nor the finances.
Saturday will give us the answer,but the experts are tipping a very close result with a minority government a distinct possibility.
burrumbus

Postby jaseee » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:05 pm

There are "We will fix the 413" Labor signs all around the Ashbury area. Not sure how Labor intend to fix the 413 though...
jaseee

Postby hornetfig » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:53 pm

J_Busworth wrote:I was speaking to Jodi McKay on the sidelines of the Bring Back Our Buses event in Bondi on Thursday and she seemed to imply that the current contract system was here to stay under Labor.

Considering Ms McKay was in the government that set them up, you'd want to think so!
hornetfig

Postby swtt » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:54 pm

jaseee wrote:There are "We will fix the 413" Labor signs all around the Ashbury area. Not sure how Labor intend to fix the 413 though...
Yeah just bring out every route that had problems and "We will fix the NNN" slogans.

Sent from my Huawei Mate 20 Pro using Tapatalk
swtt

Postby J_Busworth » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:08 pm

Labor has "We Will Save the 374" and "Save Our Buses" signs up in both Coogee and Randwick. I guess this refers to planned cuts when the light rail opens?
J_Busworth

PreviousNext

• Advertisement

Return to Discussion - Sydney / NSW