Found Vintage KFC Plastic Bag.

Somewhere to discuss things that don't fit into other categories.

Moderator: busrider

Swift
Favourite Vehicle: Porshe 911 Carerra

Found Vintage KFC Plastic Bag.

Post by Swift »

Found this in a recycle bin the other day. :shock:
Attachments
IMG_20190410_112456-1000x563.jpg
IMG_20190410_112517-1000x563.jpg
Unapologetically hate attention seeking bus pax.

boronia
Favourite Vehicle: Fire engine; PD4107

Re: Found Vintage KFC Plastic Bag.

Post by boronia »

Sort of thing you find behind the back seat of your car!! :lol:
The Sydney Classic and Antique Truck (and Bus) Show
On again June 2021
@ The Museum of Fire.

scott

Post by scott »

No idea when it is likely to date from, at the latest possibly early 90's as the KFC rebrand was circa 1992 in Australia, after it was rolled out in 1991 in the States. It actually tasted good then.

paulgersche

Post by paulgersche »

I can recall that, at my first ever full time employment, I would frequent KFC regularly, and this bbq chicken was introduced not long after I started work. I would estimate that it was in about 1981/1982 ...

Swift

Post by Swift »

The Kentucky Fried Chicken face logo was carried over with the KFC rebrand until 1997 when they introduced a new one. Another revised one was introduced in 2006 and remains to this day. The first face logo for KFC lingered on at many of the older established outlets for years after the 1997 version, but have all but disappeared now, though strangely remained on internal cardboard supply packaging and even on the lid of their mini cheesecake packaging until they discontinued it around the early 000's.
I discovered this one still in the Eastgardens shopping centre car park here in Sydney. If anyone discovers any other survivors, could they post it here?
Attachments
IMG_20190411_171728-1000x563.jpg
IMG_20190412_024632-1000x563.jpg

mubd

Post by mubd »

Before the building on the left hand side of the first photo collapsed (no XXX, it really did collapse), you could actually see a very old silhouette of a Kentucky Fried Chicken (pre-abbreviation era) sign.

Over at Southpoint Shopping Centre down the road, you could also see a ghost old Woolworths Supermarket sign (the logo with the old stylized W) from Flint Street before they put up a bunch of signage for Aldi and Chemist Warehouse. The building that houses the Woolworths is actually quite a curiosity because it dates back to approximately 1980, and was kept operating while the rest of the centre was basically knocked down and rebuilt. I remember the temporary access ramps quite well.
Eastgardens to Kingsford is a 1-2 section fare.

Swift

Post by Swift »

Oooh the very memorable twin loop logo! I only recently learned that Big W stores used it a well!
We have lost some classic logos that were part of the magic late 70s/ early 80s era, to appease the existence of some very egotistical people. Pepsi and Pizza Hut ate another two companies who's symbols were spot on. I want Nock & Kirby's hardware chain back!
The Woolworths that now occupies the old City Ford car dealership between Crown St and Riley St, Wooloomoolloo, revealed an outline of the previous Hastings Deering signage that remained hidden for decades after the Ford signs were removed, while it was being transformed into Woolworths. Hastings Deering were the distributors for AEC commercial vehicles among other things. My 92 Fairlane Ghia was bought from City Ford (says yes more often! -remember that awesome jingle?). It still has the numberplate surrounds with their logo!
There are plenty of those metal covers with the old DMR logo to be found on footpaths and I even have a couple of metal pillars sticking out of the ground near my place in Ettalong Beach, with well preserved Telecom Australia full colour logos attached.

Heihachi_73

Post by Heihachi_73 »

Red Rooster restaurants are becoming rare with the old signs as well. The logo has changed four or so times since the 90s. People used to always nick the 's' from the old signs but they later made the logo out of a single bit of plastic. Then, the blue from the logo vanished leaving it red and white, then the rooster itself was put on an angle like a sinking ship, and now it's a completely different design altogether.

Oddly, KFC itself has since been rebranded back to Kentucky Fried Chicken.

scott

Post by scott »

Also noticed there are less Red Rooster stores around in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne at least.

The Phonj
Administrator
Favourite Vehicle: MAN SL200, PMCSA body

Post by The Phonj »

Heihachi_73 wrote:Red Rooster restaurants are becoming rare with the old signs as well. The logo has changed four or so times since the 90s. People used to always nick the 's' from the old signs but they later made the logo out of a single bit of plastic. Then, the blue from the logo vanished leaving it red and white, then the rooster itself was put on an angle like a sinking ship, and now it's a completely different design altogether.

I'm yet to see a KFC restaurant that has been rebranded as Kentucky Fried Chicken; they were using the (full) name to celebrate their 50 years in Australia (nostalgia, etc); it may just be a passing fad.
Get the Firefox internet browser at: http://www.firefox.com
Watch out for ghostly bus drivers!

Swift

Post by Swift »

The Phonj wrote:
Heihachi_73 wrote:
I'm yet to see a KFC restaurant that has been rebranded as Kentucky Fried Chicken; they were using the (full) name to celebrate their 50 years in Australia (nostalgia, etc); it may just be a passing fad.
I have seen at least one restaurant that has been sign written with the full wording, but it could be only a select few for the retro value rather than a full roll out, but time will tell. I much prefer the current packaging graphics going back to how it was in full wording days than the funky youth oriented crap it descended into after the rebrand to KFC.
Here is a current bucket I modified with the 1980s face logo and added the old slogan at the bottom.
Attachments
IMG_20190926_014812-1000x563.jpg

Return to “The Lunch Room”